IGNORED

Warning about Pattaya Beer Garden

I ate at the beer garden in May during my visit to Pattaya and found it to be just to my liking no hassles, great food, good service, friendly staff and great views

I will definitely be going back again.

But i like laid back places

When I was there last year, I would drop in for a meal and/or drink every other day or so. Service was prompt and friendly, no issues. I fully expect the same will happen this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my five cents!

I like the place, nice to have dinner in the evening with friends. Prices are fine for the location, no problems with that. The owner, "Pete" I never met, now I am member here, been longer on the Secrets board, I will introduce myself...

But except this regrettable incident, that nobody here will hold against the owner, especially how he dealt with it, i read other things that the owner could use, to improve this already fine establishment...

The food is not bad, has been stated by several Bm's. Nothing is bad, but nothing stands out. With a different location, not sure to come back often. I know also that the problem is not the quality of the cook. A lot of people do not know how fine thai food tastes. Hell, most places in Pattaya serves the "soup curry", instead of the refined one, you can find in BKK and Chiang Mai. Although... "franse" or something like that behind the corner has a decent one!

Just to let Pete knows that my statement above is not only on my behalf. That is the general gossip, and I gladly say that if the kitchen improves a bit, well I would go to the place much more often.

Just another thing. True you got to be careful to leave the money behind. I did in a Japanese in Central. The waitress came after me because I forget the 500 bht return! Did also a good job finding me, because i was not that close any more!!

And that was like it was at many places.....

I certainly dont refuse to go to a place because some waitress is being dishonest once, I would stop going if the manager refused to listen and act.

Totally agree with you. I aleways used to stay at the Nova Lodge (for the convenience I would add), and then had probs with one of the staff. Couldn't speak to the management until the following day, but they were only into making alibis for the staff member concerned. They had the chance to fix the prob by saying that they would speak to the person accordingly, as that was al;l that I wanted. When they blanked me, I took my trade elsewhere.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

It's also sad that based on this incident you would decide never to go back again. After all, you had great times there before. Why deny yourself that pleasure? My advise: go back, ask for the manager and have it sorted.

I don't blame him for not going back. Where I fault him is not giving management the chance to resolve the issue. If that fails, there is a well known song lyric: To cheat me once - Shame on you. To cheat me twice - shame on me.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

As I read through the initial topic and replys, I understand the thoughts and comments

from everyone and understand their point of view.

Some things I would like to add based on my last trip earlier this year:

Event A:

I had my iphone stolen from a coyotee girl at my hotel.

I was with two other boardmembers that prior night at Club Oasis.

The next day the mamasan helped me get my iphone back and the girl was FIRED.

One of the boardmembers who was with me the prior night

asked one of the managers of Club Oasis if I was going to get

my barfine back, which I did NOT....was given some lame answer.

I also was asked to pay the doorman who took a motorbike taxi to get my iphone

back from the coyotee girl who stole my iphone.

I was also asked from the mamasan to buy her a drink for helping out.

So after the ordeal of getting my iphone stolen,

having to pay for the motorbike taxi ride for the doorman,

buying the mamasan a drink,

and NOT getting a refund for my barfine

I was a bit peeved to say the least and considered never going back to Club Oasis again.

Since the two other boardmembers enjoyed going to Club Oasis, we did end up going

back to the club a few more times during this past trip, but all three of us chose not

to buy anymore ladydrinks - did hand the girls money instead, ended up staying at the

club for a shorter amount of time, and chose not to buy the mamasan anymore drinks, and

basically ended up spending far less money in the club.

Couple weeks later, when I was less upset about what happened and tried to evaluate the

situation of events and really tried to understand EVERYONES points of view:

Myself, the manager, the mamasan, doorman etc.... this is how I feel:

1. First time I had a bar girl steal anything from me, and I definetely got a bit lazy about that over time.

I believe we all should be somewhat cautious about our valuables. I am not any more paranoid than before, but

have gone back to making sure I lock up my valuables....anything I don't lock up, I have to assume

it is fair game of disappearing or that I shouldn't get mad if it disappears....I should know better.

I have learned a valuable lesson.

2. iphone

I never imagined I would get my iphone back.

So regardless of what happened before or how things were handled after, I am very happy to have my iphone back.

3. Mamasan/Doorman

After getting my iphone stolen and still having to pay the doorman for the motorbike ride and the mamasan asking for a drink:

Initially I was very annoyed about that, but realize this is Thailand/Pattaya and I am not back at home.

Mamasans asking for drinks for any sort of help is what they do, also they work to make money any way they can, I have to accept that.

Also, the doorman did do me a favor, maybe in a perfect world or back in the states, the owner/manager would have covered that

cost, but back in Thailand why should the doorman have to pay for the motorbike ride, and I was happy to get my iphone back.

4. Manager/Barfine

I have to say even a week later, the lack of not receiving my barfine back still left a bad taste in my mouth, but

have learned to accept why managers are unwilling in many situations of opening the pandoras box of refunding a barfine.

(although I have to say that places such as Kinnary, new living dolls, if this same situation occurred there, I know I would

have received my barfine back)

Event B: Secrets Gogo

Early in my trip I was overcharged on my bill, and no I was not drunk or mistaken.

That particular evening the bar was very busy, I was there for quite some time and

spent a fair amount of money that evening.

I did bring it up with the server and the mamasan, but to no avail.

I ended up paying the extra amount and was definitely upset.

1. Since I was staying at Secrets Hotel and a couple of the boardmembers would meet

up at the bar either during the daytime or prior to barhopping during the evenings,

I still visited the bar downstairs almost on a daily basis.

2. I chose not to spend very much money during the duration of the trip at Secrets, and

considering most trips I spend a fair amount of time and money there, they ended up losing a bit

of money from me on this past trip.

I ended up eatting fewer meals at secrets, stiffed the tip on many occassions, bought very few drinks and

lady drinks, and at times had a pissy attitude.

3. I ended up checking out of Secrets hotel two weeks later to go to Ko Samui.

I returned to Secrets after my trip to Ko Samui.

When I returned to Secrets I had a question/issue with the bill at the end of the week.

But wasn't totally sure if there was a problem.

The manager just went ahead and billed me in my favor.

4. I was very pleased that the manager went ahead and listened to me, went ahead and made

this right and overall customer service was very much appreciated.

I ended up afterwords, going back and hand tipping some of the service gals I stiffed earlier,

I stopped my pissy attitude at this bar,

and learned some valuable lessons on this past trip:

*Valuables

We should all get in the habit of locking our valuables.

(IfI was to get a hooker/stranger back in the states - I would do the same thing

If you have gotten a bit complacent about locking valuables - don't wait until it happens to you.

*Bills

Be aware:

Check your bill after each order

Take precautions to avoid any issues ie..pay bill after each order, etc....

If we all went to half a dozen bars every night

for a few weeks there is a chance

we run into a mistake or dishonest situation at some point - I am now going to assume

it is a numbers game, but will also make sure to protect myself the best I can.

I won't let a bill situation ruin any part of any future vacation in Thailand/Pattaya ever again.

*Thailand/Pattaya

This is a different country, situation, cultural differences, etc...

We are guests of the Kingdom of Thailand, we will find life easier to

learn to understand and live based on how things work there, not from where we are from.

(1 + 1 does not necessary equal 2 in thailand)

*Vacation

I am on vacation, I am here to have fun.

If only two small issues arose on this past trip, I am very fortunate.

I should assume that on every trip, things may not always be smooth sailing in a foreign country.

I shouldn't let small issues ruin my vacation.

*Thai women/mamasans

I am on a P4P vacation

The women are here trying to make a living

I am not Thai

Thai women sometimes drive me crazy YES !

but

If I had to choose between P4P vacation and a little bit of hassle sometimes or

NO P4P vacation...I think we all know where we will be.

*Tolerance

At the beginning I was very tolerant - when I first starting coming to Thailand

then as I became a seasoned traveler to Thailand, I have become less tolerant

now I learned to calm myself and reflect more on the situation in Thailand/Pattaya, the cultural differences,

the fact I am on vacation, etc......

I feel that moving forward I am going to be more tolerant when situations arise, focus on having a relaxing and

fun vacation, and of course being cautious and smarter about things when required.

*Myself

I sometimes use the excuse of a situation or event to dictate my own behavior.

Since things aren't always smooth sailing on a long vacation in Pattaya sometimes my reactions

to an unfavorable event/results effects my future behavior.

I have come to realize that things that I hate/issues/problems do

occur in Thailand/Pattaya, but

moving forward my future reactions are not going to outwardly punish everyone else.

I am not going to stiff other servers because of an issue at a particular bar,

Maybe an issues is solved differently than I would like, but I wont take it out on the staff, owner, manager etc.

Basically: I am going to take the high road and be more mature about things, I am not saying I am going to be

a pushover, but that I am going to more mature about what happens.

I wish all boardmembers a happy and safe future vacations in Thailand!

Aki

Good Post. At first I thought you were a bit silly in complaining that you had to pay a "reward", as I would guess that this was less than 10% of the value of the phone. Eventually you realised, that it wasn't the perfect solution, but it could have been a lot worse. I would think that most who lost phones in Thailand never recover them.

When i first joined pattaya addicts and started looking into pattaya a lot more the Pattaya beer bar caught my attention. However when i first read this thread i thought no way am i ever going in that bar.

now after Petes reply my mind as changed. i will be using the place and feel more comfortable now knowing we have the back of Pete.

therefore may i say a big thank you to him for at least trying to do something about the situation. yes mistakes will always happen but if they are tried to be resolved then good on him. all the best and see every one in august.

I can resist everything but temptation!

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I just got back from a lovely holiday in NZ. First time home in eight years. A nice place to visit but glad to be back. Flew in last night at 1 am and proceeded to check the boards and found this post. That's why I have not replied till now.

The first thing I must say is that the behavior described by the OP is totally unacceptable to me and if I can find who the culprit was they will be fired immediately. Many things annoy me but dishonesty is something I can't stand and all the staff knows that too.

The story as outlined by the OP does not give me enough info to identify the male waiter. Kalle did you note his name or can you tell me which section you were seated at. I've been in this morning but none of the staff knew of the incident. I'll be checking with the night staff tonight.

Sadly incidents like this are unavoidable in Thailand however you do not have to put up with it at the Beer Garden. There is always a duty manager working at the Beer Garden and they have strict instructions on how to deal with customer complaints. Our policy is so simple that everyone understands it. It is simply that the customer is always right. No ifs, no buts and no arguing. The duty managers know this policy well as I remind them all the time. They have just two options if a customer complains about something and that is to either put it right to the customer’s satisfaction or to refund any monies paid.

After reading Kalle's post I have decided to add a new clause to the customer service regime in the beer garden and that is as follows . . . if you bring a problem to the attention of the duty manager and they do not fix it to your complete satisfaction then I personally will refund double what you spent when the problem occurred. I'll be explaining this to the duty managers tonight.

We do around 10,000 meals a month and handle about 25,000 check bins each month. On the whole I am happy with the level of service and the few complaints we receive seem to be handled well by the managers. However with the amount of transactions and food involved I know we will get it wrong sometimes. While I strive to reduce the number of occasions it does go wrong I know this can not be reduced to zero. However the important thing to me is that if it does go wrong the complaint is handled well and the issue resolved to the customers satisfaction.

So I'd ask anyone having a problem at the Beer Garden to demand to speak with the duty manager. They all wear name badges which identify them as managers. If the problem is not sorted out and I'm not in the bar then email me the details or post it on any of the major Pattaya boards. My email is [email protected]. If you choose to post it on a board it is almost guaranteed to be brought to my attention. I will then make arrangements to refund double what you spent.

Kalle, I realize you did not ask to speak with the manager but I am happy to refund you 1,000 baht for your troubles. If you are still in Pattaya, PM me with a good time for you and I'll meet you at the bar with your refund. If you have left Pattaya I can either send it to you via Paypal if you have a Paypal account or bring a copy of this post with you next time you are in Pattaya and I'll sort you out.

Our guarantee to customers is printed at the back of every menu. I have just updated it with the new double refund policy. A copy is attached. Below.

Remember that good service can not be guaranteed 100% of the time in Pattaya but with the Pattaya Beer garden you can always do something about it if things go wrong. I appreciate people bringing problems to my attention so I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT TOO.

Pete

This is a good guideline for other restaurantowners in Pattaya. Will stop by during my stay!!

I had an excellent meal and drinks here with my mate and his wife and my lady friend,no problems about being ripped off, however, there was a male waiter there that was an arrogant SOB,we all commented amongst ourselves what an Ahole he was being, but we let it ride.

PS: Perhaps the same guy ?

My first visit late last night. Had Pad Kaprow with pork. Of special notice: The French beans were fresh and just barely cooked, snap perfect! Not that common. Seasoning was nicely done, hot by western palate standards. I could have used a few more chili myself, but I do understand that keeping the farang patrons alive does call for compromises.

I am going back to try breakfast right after posting this!

P1000360 (Medium).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Never tried the food but the 3 times I went last year the place was dead. I went between 10 pm and 1 am. Has the place picked up?

If you want some decent Thai food for less money in that area, hit the place right at the beginning of WS, under the WS sign. Good, cheap and while not the quickest service, it's not as slow as many places. I think they close at 11 pm or 12 am though.

Hi Guys

I just got back from a lovely holiday in NZ. First time home in eight years. A nice place to visit but glad to be back. Flew in last night at 1 am and proceeded to check the boards and found this post. That's why I have not replied till now.

The first thing I must say is that the behavior described by the OP is totally unacceptable to me and if I can find who the culprit was they will be fired immediately. Many things annoy me but dishonesty is something I can't stand and all the staff knows that too.

The story as outlined by the OP does not give me enough info to identify the male waiter. Kalle did you note his name or can you tell me which section you were seated at. I've been in this morning but none of the staff knew of the incident. I'll be checking with the night staff tonight.

Sadly incidents like this are unavoidable in Thailand however you do not have to put up with it at the Beer Garden. There is always a duty manager working at the Beer Garden and they have strict instructions on how to deal with customer complaints. Our policy is so simple that everyone understands it. It is simply that the customer is always right. No ifs, no buts and no arguing. The duty managers know this policy well as I remind them all the time. They have just two options if a customer complains about something and that is to either put it right to the customer’s satisfaction or to refund any monies paid.

After reading Kalle's post I have decided to add a new clause to the customer service regime in the beer garden and that is as follows . . . if you bring a problem to the attention of the duty manager and they do not fix it to your complete satisfaction then I personally will refund double what you spent when the problem occurred. I'll be explaining this to the duty managers tonight.

We do around 10,000 meals a month and handle about 25,000 check bins each month. On the whole I am happy with the level of service and the few complaints we receive seem to be handled well by the managers. However with the amount of transactions and food involved I know we will get it wrong sometimes. While I strive to reduce the number of occasions it does go wrong I know this can not be reduced to zero. However the important thing to me is that if it does go wrong the complaint is handled well and the issue resolved to the customers satisfaction.

So I'd ask anyone having a problem at the Beer Garden to demand to speak with the duty manager. They all wear name badges which identify them as managers. If the problem is not sorted out and I'm not in the bar then email me the details or post it on any of the major Pattaya boards. My email is [email protected]. If you choose to post it on a board it is almost guaranteed to be brought to my attention. I will then make arrangements to refund double what you spent.

Kalle, I realize you did not ask to speak with the manager but I am happy to refund you 1,000 baht for your troubles. If you are still in Pattaya, PM me with a good time for you and I'll meet you at the bar with your refund. If you have left Pattaya I can either send it to you via Paypal if you have a Paypal account or bring a copy of this post with you next time you are in Pattaya and I'll sort you out.

Our guarantee to customers is printed at the back of every menu. I have just updated it with the new double refund policy. A copy is attached. Below.

Remember that good service can not be guaranteed 100% of the time in Pattaya but with the Pattaya Beer garden you can always do something about it if things go wrong. I appreciate people bringing problems to my attention so I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT Tood food, good views, good staff.

A true response from obviously a very passionate and good business brain. Very commendable indeed!

Yep things can go wrong at times and you will never please everyone all of the time but you do right by aiming to please a majority as best you can, good business sense :)

You will never have the number of staff you have and not have theft problems, it happens. Its hardly your fault. I myself would probably have created one hell of a scene if it was me as I detest being robbed/ripped off. Unfortunately you were on holiday at the time. While the cat's away and all that.

I think its funny, for 5 pages all we get is I won't be back, I am not going next trip etc.. You reply then its just pages of I will be back, I love the place :) Good for you mate.

I think everyone can jump on a band wagon way too quick in instances such as this. But it would appear the matter is well sorted, by understanding management skills and compassion for your business. These together will win you a damn decent business, especially in Patts.

I would say however, your customer complaint proceedure is open to the balloon chasers and cheap charlies ripping you off big time. By all means go with your thoughts and actions, but keep in mind the tossers who will rip anybody off. We all know of a few such prolific farangs already!

Good luck and will be by as normal next trip.

good work pete,

apart from the spelling mistake on the banner :LMFO:

guarantee

I did see that :) Kind of stands out.

Edited by Scottish_Tyrant

Wha's like us?

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the PBG, stopped in almost every day on my trip. One of the best places to hang out in the evening with your companion du jour.

Spent lots of time at the Pattaya Beer Garden during my recent trip, whether it was during the day for just a cup of coffee or during the evening for a meal and mostly with my new TGF.

Sitting out on the tables round the edge of the bar looking out over the bay, watching activity on Beach Road or listening to the (my era) music videos over the central bars.

The menue was ideal for a newbie like me - lots of english food to play safe and a wonderous range of Thai food to keep my TGF happy and for me to try - good sized portions and well cooked and - I thought - reasonably priced (decent meal for two with drinks for about 500 - 600bht).

Service was always great and without any problems at all.

Most of all it was just a great place to relax with a new friend and get to know her.

I do intend to return to Pattaya as soon as funds allow, and I do intend to return to the Pattaya Beer Garden which I reccomend unreservedly.

• 1 month later...

Ate here on two occasions on my recent trip to Pattaya and found it excellent. The staff were very friendly and the food was great.Will be returning on next trip for sure.

:o

Quality response from Pete. I like PBG and have to say everywhere I have been that Pete has had a hand in has always been good.

Just returned from 3 weeks in LOS and I had the opportunity to eat and drink at PBG quite a few times. I experienced nothing but top notch service and food each and every time, and at a very reasonable price. I'll be back in April and will no doubt be patronizing PBG again!

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

On my last 10 day trip, I was at the Beer Garden at least once a day for Breakfast, Lunch or to grab a beer and relax before a night out on Walking Street.

The food was always great, the service staff was very friendly and personable, nice views of the beach and city, tv's everywhere playing good music, I have nothing but positive things to say about this place.

I'm surprised there weren't more F/L girls hanging out here, but this is still one of my favorite places in Pattaya.

I think this, like so many bad experiences while traveling, could have been avoided...

I NEVER trust anyone, anywhere, at any place in Pattaya when it comes to bins (whats on the bill, or what ive paid)...I check the bill EVERY time it is replaced, right at the moment it is replaced...and, when I pay, I clearly display what I am giving to the waiter/waitress and wait for eye contact and a nod of the head in response (i am very deliberate about this)...then when the bin or tray is returned, no questions remain other than to determine how much of the change made will be given as a tip...as a result, never had any problems.

The OP clearly stated that this was the exception at this place, not the rule. I am sure the owner appreciates being aware of what happened to one of his regulars, I know I would in his shoes...there is sooooo much competition for biz in Pattaya, every body/bin counts...and I am guessing, based on the owner's previous posts, he knows this and will, to the extent possible, take action (either figuring out who this bad waiter is, and/or offering a free sandwich/beer to the OP upon return)...no one in his right mind would go to all the trouble of all this typing without genuine cause.

I am looking forward to patronizing this place myself on my next trip...cheers, alex

EXACTLY !!!! A vaulable lesson to be learned here, your not in Kansas anymore Toto.

the networkis very powerful and extensive, i barfined these two girls, the next night i went to another bar and the two girls i took out of that bar had stated we were being followed by two girl and they were talking about me, ilooked and it was them, we gave them the slip went ot a bar hung out for 2 hours started ot go to my hotel and who is there and waiting the two from the night before and told me where we went, how many times we danced and then engaged teh two girls i barfined in conversation in thai and one of the girls from the night before was crying stating that she loved me, not fun

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed Review: They are 1 - 1 so far. First meal in October was great. No issues. Last night my order and my girls order were wrong, got a little attitude from the girl, food was a little overcooked and took forever to get our food. Overall I like the place and the atmosphere. One bad experience will not have me swearing off the place just yet. Will go again. Cheers.

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon

Mixed Review: They are 1 - 1 so far. First meal in October was great. No issues. Last night my order and my girls order were wrong, got a little attitude from the girl, food was a little overcooked and took forever to get our food. Overall I like the place and the atmosphere. One bad experience will not have me swearing off the place just yet. Will go again. Cheers.

I went again last night late. There were a lot of people there. The food and service were GREAT. Lots of FLs there as well.

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon