IGNORED

Warning about Pattaya Beer Garden

About tipping... My first trip to Thailand I had to get back into the tipping mind-frame. I'm an expat, but I live in Japan not Thailand, and in Japan the service staff will not accept your tip. It is rude and it is disrespectful to the owner of the establishment (it shows that the owner doesn't properly care for his staff). So, being here for a couple years screwed up my view on tipping quite a bit. I will say this. Tipping is a personal decision. Its nobody's business what the next man tips. If I want to tip 50% then I will, and I have. If I want to walk and give nothing then I will also do so. We also have a habit in America of tipping a very small amount (like 1 dollar, vs 0, on a 100 dollar bill), to show the server they were shit. Tipping is meant to encourage overall customer service. It is meant to increase the level of care and attention. Its an incentive. If someone wants to tip 20baht on a 500 baht meal then I don't see that any man has the right to tell him he is in the wrong. Its giving money away after all.

• 3 weeks later...

Poor experience last night, we waited 85 minutes for our food from 5.30pm (the place wasn't full), then mine was finished before the wife's arrived, other tables around who came after us, got their orders before, no mention of a sorry just alot of gormless looks from the managers with walkie talkies. One manager told us 3 more minutes but it was another 20 before one steamed rice arrived. Nice if they could learn to tell the truth "sorry sir we lost your order" Usually a great place, but chose to eat elsewhere tonight. Shame because it is a great location but they need to look at their staff training. To be fair it is the first time we have had a problem, after lots of visits, but after making two managers aware, (who were as useful as a chocolate teapot), someone needs a kick up the bum.

I think I would have lost it on the spot and strangled that guy .what a joke and to think they can get away with it .at anytime they please !!

now that i think back on it, i did have a not so good service/experience at the beer garden. I made the mistake of ordering two dishes. spaghetti bolognaise and raw prawns with chilli sauce which i wanted as an entree. the bolognaise came first, go figure, a hot dish is prepared quicker than a cold one. sent it back and asked for it to be kept warm. after i finished the prawns the spaghetti came back stone cold! another thing that kind of repulsed me was that the prawn cocktails are presented with hot prawns instead of cold.(just defrosted too long, I guess)

Sorry, but its complete bullshit 20 baht tip over a 500 bath bill isnt enough in Pattaya... It's fair amount..

guide line to tip in Thailand is not to unless you want to....it is not required until we spoiled them ourselves that they expect a extra tip on top of their service charge. It is understable not to rock the boat. As years goes by and more farang tips, they expect it more, but not from Thai nationals who do not tip. It is our ways and traditions to tip that gets our foot in our mouth. Enough said, do not tip unless you want to

cheers tommy x

cheers, Tommy of Richmond

why sleep if you are going to get up anyway?

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, But personally the PBG is awesome and a really relaxing place to hang out.

The waitresses dont generally go looking for tips but after a few visits they are really cool and sweet and will talk and flirt a little. My TGF works there she has manners but sometimes she gets tired and i see hese lacking. the girls get better than average wages and share there tips at the end of there shifts.

So many people talk about bad experiences there well I love the food, the service and the smiling waitress staff.

We always love hanging there at the start of the evening, A few Vodka mixers to get things started. It always feels like the place to be before venturing into the delights of the nights in WS.

I did suffer from bad food poisioning on my last trip, I suffered for a long time. I do suspect, but cannot be certain that some meals at PBG were to blame. It may have been the chicken breasts on sticks from the food carts that I loved having late when on the way back to the hotel, but my system kinda 'felt' it had been from PBG.

We always love hanging there at the start of the evening, A few Vodka mixers to get things started. It always feels like the place to be before venturing into the delights of the nights in WS.

I did suffer from bad food poisioning on my last trip, I suffered for a long time. I do suspect, but cannot be certain that some meals at PBG were to blame. It may have been the chicken breasts on sticks from the food carts that I loved having late when on the way back to the hotel, but my system kinda 'felt' it had been from PBG.

Given the option of sick from food obtained at a motorcycle side car and kept at the right temperature to grow bacteria like there is no tomorrow, or a pretty good restaurant, concluding the latter might not be very accurate.

Your system "felt" which food got you sick, that's amazing.

My guess it was PBG. Nice atmosphere but the food is overpriced and not very good.

Retired

My guess it was PBG. Nice atmosphere but the food is overpriced and not very good.

I agree, waitresses gave me kind of a bitchy look when I only ordered a san miguel light (because the food is shit). Had to track one down when I wanted to order another one. One young, pretty blonde haired one came and checked on me a few times with a smile and I tipped her directly for that. Still left a decent tip as well as I sat there a while and all the seats by the water were full of groups ordering food.

Only used the place 2 times in 4 years, it will not be on my visit list, second time same as 1st food and atmosphere even though it should "rock" for position was bad, no reason to return just like most of PBG it is so "old".