IGNORED

Jomtien: Restaurant Reopening Statuses

2 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Soŕy, no further details yet. More news to be announced soon.

I asked the owner a few days ago and he said that the new location is not finalized just yet, but the info will be posted on their website when it is finalized.

15 hours ago, jimboh said:

Aquapazza is open, never been, wish they would display menu outside.

I think they are good. The owner is a former Gian's chef. Not too pricey. I will get over there soon. If you stop in, be sure to check out the daily specials menu. They are better known for their seafood dishes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For obvious reasons we have been cooking at home more these days.

Back in the states I would seldom go out to eat as I enjoyed cooking. Over here in Thailand I got away from that for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I have found a couple of Farang dishes that the GF actually likes. Did a spaghetti bolognese tonight and received some compliments.

IMG_2609.thumb.jpg.c37ef6a30a407241f7f52fcea59b2618.jpg

I dislike the electric stoves here, but hey better than the building blowing up. Going through a learning curve on locally available substitutions, but that is part of the fun. As an example, in the US I would have garnished this dish with some chopped Italian flat leaf parsley for the visual effect.

We move to our longer term condo on July 1st and I plan to upgrade my cookware at that time.

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

For obvious reasons we have been cooking at home more these days.

Back in the states I would seldom go out to eat as I enjoyed cooking. Over here in Thailand I got away from that for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I have found a couple of Farang dishes that the GF actually likes. Did a spaghetti bolognese tonight and received some compliments.

IMG_2609.thumb.jpg.c37ef6a30a407241f7f52fcea59b2618.jpg

I dislike the electric stoves here, but hey better than the building blowing up. Going through a learning curve on locally available substitutions, but that is part of the fun. As an example, in the US I would have garnished this dish with some chopped Italian flat leaf parsley for the visual effect.

We move to our longer term condo on July 1st and I plan to upgrade my cookware at that time.

Flat leaf parsley available in every market/supermarket here. its a Thai staple.

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

Flat leaf parsley available in every market/supermarket here. its a Thai staple.

I guess I need to take a second look. I have not seen it at Food Mart and did not notice it a Villa Market. I do see a lot of Cilantro, which looks very similar, but has a very different taste.

3 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I guess I need to take a second look. I have not seen it at Food Mart and did not notice it a Villa Market. I do see a lot of Cilantro, which looks very similar, but has a very different taste.

Cilantro is usually in small bunches and relatively expensive. Flat leaved parsley is in large bunches and very cheap. Best bought at any local market selling vegetables. 

We stopped by Sandbar tonight. They did something that I thought was innovative given the circumstances.

One of their regular bands, Power Jam I think, performed a session in a studio and made it available via a link. Some of their fans turned out at the Sandbar and watched the performance on their laptops.

I did not know this was going on, so did not have my laptop with me.

• Like 2

A few of us made it over to Comfort by Harlan in the Cozy Beach area tonight. He has been advertising aggressively on FB recently and changed the menu as well. The food was excellent. I have put up a review in the Harlan's thread.

On 16/05/2020 at 20:38, petemoss said:

Cilantro is usually in small bunches and relatively expensive. Flat leaved parsley is in large bunches and very cheap. Best bought at any local market selling vegetables. 

Think you may have the 2 mixed up. Cilantro (also known as Coriander and seldomly Chinese parsley) is heavily used in Thai cooking and therefore can be found everywhere for cheap.

I rarely see curled or flat leaf parsley at the markets. Found some curled once at the market on Buakau across from Tony's gym. Can usually get big bags of it at Makro and a small plastic box of it at Big C, but a little pricey. Villa sells small bags of it for about 15 baht which is the best deal I've found without having to buy the big Makro bags of it.

Sounds like I'm obsessed with parsley but I do cook with it often. 555

On 21/05/2020 at 02:22, LuvThaiPussy said:

Think you may have the 2 mixed up. Cilantro (also known as Coriander and seldomly Chinese parsley) is heavily used in Thai cooking and therefore can be found everywhere for cheap.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to nit pick, but Coriander (by US naming conventions) is the seeds from the plant, whereas Cilantro is the leaves of the same plant. The effect from the two in any dish is quite different. In the US I used both frequently. Over here I am learning my way, although I certainly agree that Cilantro is a very common ingredient in both Thai and Chinese dishes.

Going to start a thread about the topic of turning up an ex-pat kitchen here.

Made it over to Gian's the other night. This remains my number 1 Italian place in Jomtien. Yes, they are not a cheap eats Meatball and Spaghetti place and I enjoy those as well.

I ordered the Spaghetti with Spicy Italian Sausage in a garlic oil sauce. Off the charts. Maybe this no alcohol in restaurants is not such a bad thing. First time I ever got out of Gian's for dinner for two at under 1000 baht.

Not many people there on a Monday Night. I hope they make it through things, as IMO when it comes to Italian they are the best.

IMG_2619.thumb.jpg.14aa9a8aeddfd894ce0c98abef7ee52c.jpg

• Like 3

I drove by Natan's tonight and they are open.

Good info n reporting here as I like to know the restaurants and cafe scene around Jomtien as have condo at VT2B myself and will be retiring there over winter times when hopefully Thailand is more back to normal.

Pig n Whistle pub and Surf Kitchen being my regular haunts as good food and good service as always busy. Be interested to know about these places and more..

Pity Laongs closed as seemed to be the best restaurant in Jomtien??

Keep up the good reporting sir!!

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Be interested to know what’s happening to the Rompho complex too as heard all sorts rumours...nice night food market and a very busy Kiss food restaurant there and handy from VT2B.

The bars been dead a while now apart from the frontal bars.

• Like 2

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

1 minute ago, jimboh said:

Pig and whistle closed

Permanent or just until alcohol ban ends? Any idea??

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

57 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Be interested to know what’s happening to the Rompho complex too as heard all sorts rumours...nice night food market and a very busy Kiss food restaurant there and handy from VT2B.

Try Italian Restaurant Oregano at the Rompo cmplex. No haute cuisine but very good and reasonably priced food. At the moment a bit dead because of ...

3 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Oregano is a good value as Halfaboy said.

We tend to go to the Rompho fruit market stands for fruit staples. Best tomatoes in town as well. The food market and Kiss are there, but not at the level you are used to seeing. If you are in the area, I would suggest checking out Mr. Moo on soi 7. Very good food (a little variable at times) at an excellent price. I am fond of their roast chicken dish.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2020 at 14:24, petemoss said:

Owner of Cafe Des Amis has said that he won't open until he can serve alcohol.

Took a look at Cafe des Amis' web site yesterday. It says they are planning to reopen in early June.

https://www.cafe-des-amis.com/

9 hours ago, davidge said:

Permanent or just until alcohol ban ends? Any idea??

I think I heard somewhere that they are reopening under a different name but I don't think they mentioned when they will open.  I can't remember where I heard it but I see if I can find it and link the story here.

I did notice that the other Pig and Whistle, Soi 7, is about to reopen, now Big and Whistle and also has an Indian restaurant attached at the rear.

Not sure about Jomtiem P & W.

6 minutes ago, jimboh said:

I did notice that the other Pig and Whistle, Soi 7, is about to reopen, now Big and Whistle and also has an Indian restaurant attached at the rear.

Not sure about Jomtiem P & W.

Yes I was referring to the one on soi 7.  Didn't remember or never knew there was one in Jomtien as I haven't spent much time down there.

And that was the new name I was thinking of as well.

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Oregano is a good value as Halfaboy said.

We tend to go to the Rompho fruit market stands for fruit staples. Best tomatoes in town as well. The food market and Kiss are there, but not at the level you are used to seeing. If you are in the area, I would suggest checking out Mr. Moo on soi 7. Very good food (a little variable at times) at an excellent price. I am fond of their roast chicken dish.

Mr. Moo is closed for renovation.