IGNORED

Jomtien: Restaurant Reopening Statuses

Went to that Oregano restaurant Rompol market a few nights ago, was busy, most tables taken outside, was a nice cool night. I had the Amatriciana, was nice, although the bacon was 50% fat, think it was a reasonable 180B. Staff nice, friendly and efficient.

I did intend to have a few beers around Rompol but was depressingly quiet.

org thumbnail_IMG_1777.jpg

6 hours ago, jimboh said:

Went to that Oregano restaurant Rompol market a few nights ago, was busy, most tables taken outside, was a nice cool night. I had the Amatriciana, was nice, although the bacon was 50% fat, think it was a reasonable 180B. Staff nice, friendly and efficient.

I did intend to have a few beers around Rompol but was depressingly quiet.

I have tried Oregano and liked it, especially the prices. It is certainly not at the same level as Gian's or Aquapazza, but still a very good value. Problem for me is that there are so many very good Italian restaurants in the Jomtien area, it is difficult to carve out a schedule to cover all of them. Especially, since my cholesterol levels occasionally get a "start to lay off of the pasta" comments from the doc and I enjoy making pasta dishes at home as well. :Lost1:

9 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

As was limited to frequent visits to Pig & Whistle and Tinnies too which are both nice and not far from the condo. Often looked over at Natans as always looked busy place too??

I am not sure if you have heard, but it looks like the Pig & Whistle has closed. Tinnies is open and I hear that they have very good pies. That is not something (I am an American) that I order very often, but I will try theirs someday before too long. I am pretty sure that the Thai GF will be looking at her plate with a very puzzled and disappointed expression if I order one for her. :)

Natan's is probably the most disagreed about and debated restaurant on this board. Some guys like it and some hate it. I used to be in the like crowd, but have moved over to neutral. Their fresh seafood dishes can be good. IMO their Farang dishes tend to be disappointing. They screw up on the small touches much too frequently for me. I was brought a plate with cold mashed potatoes not too long ago. Basically, IMO, they are a crap shoot on any given night.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am not sure if you have heard, but it looks like the Pig & Whistle has closed. Tinnies is open and I hear that they have very good pies. That is not something (I am an American) that I order very often, but I will try theirs someday before too long. I am pretty sure that the Thai GF will be looking at her plate with a very puzzled and disappointed expression if I order one for her. :)

Natan's is probably the most disagreed about and debated restaurant on this board. Some guys like it and some hate it. I used to be in the like crowd, but have moved over to neutral. Their fresh seafood dishes can be good. IMO their Farang dishes tend to be disappointing. They screw up on the small touches much too frequently for me. I was brought a plate with cold mashed potatoes not too long ago. Basically, IMO, they are a crap shoot on any given night.

The Lamb Pie in Tinnies is delicious - though expensive. I limit myself to 2 per trip. The takeaway salad (50 baht??) is an option I often go for as part of a light lunch in the condo.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Been revisiting a few of my favorite restaurants over the last week or two.

We went to Aquapazza tonight. IMO some of the best fresh Italian seafood in Jomtien. I ordered the fish of the day and it was very good. Apologies for the pic, as I spaced and ate about half of it before remembering to take a pic.

113508269_Aquapazza-Fish.thumb.jpg.5e94915de8351a648b6ac448299909f4.jpg

We went to Sandbar a few nights back. The GF ordered the Salmon over Spaghetti with Thai spices. She said (pet mak mak (too spicy)). When she, an Isan lady, says that, I do not sample.

1183825076_Sandbar-Salmon.thumb.jpg.bfe3890059f8cf71f7706b92f431a083.jpg

I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu. Despite being a frequent flyer here, this is the first time I had tried this dish at Sandbar. It was very good. They prepare it in the same style as Akvavit (I like their version as well). That is the chicken breast is butterflied and then filled, closed back up, breaded and fried. This is opposed to the more common version where the breast is rolled up before frying. IMO the rolled up version is too thick and tends to lead to the chicken being over cooked and dry. Anyway the Sandbar version was pretty good.

768339789_Sandbar-ChickenCordonBleu.thumb.jpg.df72c3d6b00a8b836d0fbb8aacb93c17.jpg

Last weekend we went to the recently reopened Cafe des Amis. This is one of our favorite splurge places, well more truthfully said one of my favorite splurge places. We had the order that we frequently do. It was great to be back here and enjoying things with others. They had a decent sized crowd and all were smiling.

My lady likes the roast duck breast in cherry sauce.

1743646779_CDA-DuckinCherrySauce.thumb.jpg.e0bd38a247def0c383a404ee85db9b04.jpg

I am partial to their Rack of Lamb. I like their steaks as well, but was planning to cook Steak au Poivre at home in a few days.

1049681766_CDA-RackofLamb.thumb.jpg.33df5e01f949876feb32e2b701bc6e67.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

3 hours ago, davidge said:

The Lamb Pie in Tinnies is delicious - though expensive. I limit myself to 2 per trip. The takeaway salad (50 baht??) is an option I often go for as part of a light lunch in the condo.

Yes, Tinnies great pies-and sausage rolls. Also, their brisket is excellent.

But all overpriced. Which is maybe not a bad thing, as I visit only a few times a month.

That lamb looks absolutely awesome.

For anyone that is a fan of chicken cordon bleu, I am a big fan of Robin Hood Tavern.

I am a fan of Nathan's, never had a bad meal there, love to have a tapas feast from their starters menu.

Keep meaning to try Aquapazza, just them not having menu displayed outside could be a setback for missus, I am sure I will get by but she can be picky.

On 12/06/2020 at 21:28, davidge said:

I did wonder if they were talking about that place but mentioned some meals they’d had rather than bakery items etc. They also said it only opened recently and the bakery has been open a year or more. As I said, they could be confused or I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Thinking about it, possibly the bakery has decided to add a restaurant menu?? They used to close early so an evening ‘bistro’ type place might make sense. If someone went in the evening then it would look like a new place as it was shut evenings previously.

On June 12th I said I would take a walk over to check this out. I finally did so today. Ok, I was a little slow on this one. :Dunno:

To me it does indeed appear that the bakery has been extended to add a restaurant. A few pics.

1750930130_AuDelices-A.thumb.jpg.e0302941c0f8055125f7faa9b2964ea8.jpg

2138237428_AuDelices-B.thumb.jpg.3ca124e09c4ec9d0a444f6a6e7f39bcf.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/07/2020 at 02:43, davidge said:

I finally made my first visit to Tinnies tonight. The Lamb Pie is indeed very good. At 275 including mashed potatoes and peas, I did not think it was all that expensive. The one thing I did not like was that IMO their mashed potatoes are kind of bland and lack texture. I see I can order a stand alone pie for about 175 and may do that with some other side next time.

869876259_Tinnies-A.thumb.jpg.dc34675f8dce6662cef64281795aa76f.jpg

There is Thai food on the menu and the GF said it is pretty good as well.

370074124_Tinnies-B.thumb.jpg.1eeaf07bd32284ed847669d9de3ef00a.jpg

Additionally, I noticed several American Comfort Foods on the menu (Brisket, Pork Ribs, Parm dishes, ...) and may stop back to give those a try.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

On June 12th I said I would take a walk over to check this out. I finally did so today. Ok, I was a little slow on this one. :Dunno:

To me it does indeed appear that the bakery has been extended to add a restaurant. A few pics.

1750930130_AuDelices-A.thumb.jpg.e0302941c0f8055125f7faa9b2964ea8.jpg

2138237428_AuDelices-B.thumb.jpg.3ca124e09c4ec9d0a444f6a6e7f39bcf.jpg

Wasn’t the place next door a hairdressers?

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

Wasn’t the place next door a hairdressers?

I do not remember. Business is pretty bad here at this time. I think anyplace that was not in very good shape (accounting book wise) may well go under.

2 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I do not remember. Business is pretty bad here at this time. I think anyplace that was not in very good shape (accounting book wise) may well go under.

Agree. What I should have said is that it looks from your pic as if the restaurant has extended into the unit next door that used to be a hairdressers.

6 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

At 275 including mashed potatoes and peas,

Does that price also include the boat of Gravy?

6 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

GF said it is pretty good as well.

Yes, my missus also likes their Thai food.

Edited by jimboh

4 hours ago, jimboh said:

Does that price also include the boat of Gravy?

yes

18 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I finally made my first visit to Tinnies tonight. The Lamb Pie is indeed very good. At 275 including mashed potatoes and peas, I did not think it was all that expensive.

I guess it’s all relative. If you’re looking at it as a restaurant then 275 baht for a decent meal isn’t bad at all. If you look at it as a takeaway bakery then about £4.50 for a pie is expensive. Not knocking the place as it’s good.

5 hours ago, jimboh said:

For me, Tinnies has best pies-and sausage rolls-in Pattaya.

I’m not all that keen on the sausage rolls as I find them too greasy - depends on your tastes I guess. The pies are excellent and a friend likes the sweet stuff they do as well.

Having a party? Or just have a big appetite?

La Bocca:

FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS
WEDNESDAY PROMOTION !!!
BUY 2 PIZZAS GET 1 FREE !!!

6 hours ago, davidge said:

Having a party? Or just have a big appetite?

La Bocca:

FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS
WEDNESDAY PROMOTION !!!
BUY 2 PIZZAS GET 1 FREE !!!

And I see that they have also reduced prices by 15%.

Maggs nearby, have reduced all prices by 25%, drink and food.

The Spanish place on Darkside has reduced by 10%

Sounds like some places getting realistic in current climate.

5 hours ago, jimboh said:

And I see that they have also reduced prices by 15%.

Maggs nearby, have reduced all prices by 25%, drink and food.

The Spanish place on Darkside has reduced by 10%

Sounds like some places getting realistic in current climate.

Yes, it’s going to be tough for businesses for a while, sadly.

La Bocca have 3 midweek offers:

WEEK PROMOTIONS  !!!!!

TUESDAY:      EVERY 500 bath SPENT GET 1 LOCAL BEER 
                        FREE or 1 GLASS HOUSE WINE
WEDNESDAY : BUY 2 PIZZAS GET 1 FREE
THURSDAY :   BUY 2 PASTA DISHES GET 1 FREE

12 hours ago, davidge said:

Yes, it’s going to be tough for businesses for a while, sadly.

La Bocca have 3 midweek offers:

La Bocca is not bad, but I have other Italian places that I like better. Still we stop in from time to time. As you know I go by there on a daily basis and it is usually empty or not far from it.

Edited by ChiFlyer

We stopped by Yupins the other night. His business seems to be weathering the storm well enough. He had about 4 tables occupied. The food was very good. The GF ordered the lobster special and I the 3 course special with snapper in a saffron sauce.

The lobster special (under 500).

139799618_Yupins-B.thumb.jpg.f61c2ea062007ff50ad3d3aba6c20f05.jpg

The snapper.

77602009_Yupins-A.thumb.jpg.28e6d9c914da3e0226f7f7c632acbd45.jpg

Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for dessert.

800500517_Yupins-C.thumb.jpg.d347542cf32a8286e4dac523c04f4f0e.jpg

Thanks for the pics from Yupins.  I wondered how it was doing.  We went there 3 times  in February while spending 3 weeks in VT5.  Excellent restaurant....I had the snapper 3 course special a couple of times. :D

We made our first re-opening trip to Au bon Coin tonight. Good to have gotten back. The place was not particularly busy for a Sunday night. We were the first to arrive at 18:30. Three other tables arrived before we left around 20:00.

Jossy has scaled back the menu some due to the low-low season, but most of the favorites are available (Steaks, 5 hour Lamb, Beef Bourguignon, and many others) . Everything was very good as usual.

Some pics:

Complimentary appetizers

178537184_AubonCoin-A.thumb.jpg.6bd0a64e0723b1296d222061d76bbc6b.jpg

My lady friend had Grouper in a Shrimp Sauce

1710791130_AubonCoin-B.thumb.jpg.e7458789dc4384d12fa67614f6cd9e3b.jpg

I had Grouper Merinure and it was excellent.

1320268305_AubonCoin-C.thumb.jpg.0dbf8233baf6364e2a157b254380a955.jpg

Some Hazelnut Ice Cream - sorry about the pic - we started munching away before I remembered to take the pic.

675335196_AubonCoin-D.thumb.jpg.3dbc4954d4c0fc8f340c0cade5138513.jpg

Complimentary Rum Soaked Lady Fingers to close.

1444669309_AubonCoin-E.thumb.jpg.a58e85271e4e5be5d58666e4c9e759c7.jpg

The bill was 2080 including a large carafe of wine. The pant size battle is definitely going the wrong way the last few days. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Stretching the definition of Jomtien (beyond breaking point tbh :-) but seems like the sort of place you’d want to try @ChiFlyer

https://www.pineapplecafeandgrill.com/

The website doesn’t work on my iPad - I assume it uses Flash - but you might want to check it out.