IGNORED

Jomtien: Restaurant Reopening Statuses

9 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yes, they do also have restaurant style menu, along with daily specials.

I guess they’ve started opening in the evenings then? They were still closing at about 6pm when I was there last.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Slightly off topic, sorry, but as we are discussing the Complex - I hear they are putting a roof over it. I don’t know if that’s just the bit with all the bars or the entire thing? I think work is meant to start soon.

On 14/06/2020 at 21:08, davidge said:

Slightly off topic, sorry, but as we are discussing the Complex - I hear they are putting a roof over it. I don’t know if that’s just the bit with all the bars or the entire thing? I think work is meant to start soon.

Yes indeed, roof structure being fitted now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yes indeed, roof structure being fitted now.

I live in VT2A across the street, so we are interested in what is happening over there.

My understanding is that the roof is intended to limit the effect of rain. They also seem to be adding more lighting from what we see.

There is some hope over here that the roof will deaden some of the racket coming out of the bars, but me thinks not. The bars toward the front (Big Kiss as an example) are probably going to point their speakers more directly at us to lessen the bounce back effect off of the roof.

War will be declared with constant calls to the police, if that happens. The VT2A residents are in constant communication via a website and Line about things.

I for one am hoping not to be affected, regardless of what happens, as we are moving to the North side of the building July 1st, but I will participate in the calls to the police if my neighbors and friends are being affected.

We want to be good neighbors, but that requires that the people in the alley are also good neighbors.

2 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I live in VT2A across the street, so we are interested in what is happening over there.

My understanding is that the roof is intended to limit the effect of rain. They also seem to be adding more lighting from what we see.

There is some hope over here that the roof will deaden some of the racket coming out of the bars, but me thinks not. The bars toward the front (Big Kiss as an example) are probably going to point their speakers more directly at us to lessen the bounce back effect off of the roof.

War will be declared with constant calls to the police, if that happens. The VT2A residents are in constant communication via a website and Line about things.

I for one am hoping not to be affected, regardless of what happens, as we are moving to the North side of the building July 1st, but I will participate in the calls to the police if my neighbors and friends are being affected.

We want to be good neighbors, but that requires that the people in the alley are also good neighbors.

Well good luck with that ....Thais and noise always go together. Best staying away from the Thappraya road end and am lucky that the condo is in VT2 B further away from it. 

Be interesting to see the place with a roof on it even though i dont frequent the Jomtien complex as just usually walk around to the Pig & Whistle or Tinnies etc

Any news on the Rompho complex??

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Just now, stickyfingers said:

Any news on the Rompho complex??

We  drove by and thru Rompho the other night. The food vendors are out in force in front of the fruit market. The fruit market, during the day, is as usual.

There are not a lot of customers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Well good luck with that ....Thais and noise always go together. Best staying away from the Thappraya road end and am lucky that the condo is in VT2 B further away from it. 

Actually the approach that I described has had some limited success. We have been doing that for over a year now. I have no problem with people partying and making some noise, but I have a HUGE problem with said people rattling my windows at 3 AM from 1/2 km away. :mad: 

23 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

We  drove by and thru Rompho the other night. The food vendors are out in force in front of the fruit market. The fruit market, during the day, is as usual.

There are not a lot of customers.

Ok thanks for the info here.

Any ideas to whats going to be developed when they finish the Rompho bars complex lease??

Am assuming Kiss restaurant and the fruit and veg market & food vendors might be safe??

Have heard rumours it could be a supermarket....pls god not another condo block to go with all the other empty condo blocks in Jomtien??

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

With the social distancing am betting that the very popular and busy Surf Kitchen on beach road might struggle now.

Great foods and service as usually always busy...but their tiny tables were on 2" apart and so close as i always looked for few empty tables next to mine. 

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

With the social distancing am betting that the very popular and busy Surf Kitchen on beach road might struggle now.

Great foods and service as usually always busy...but their tiny tables were on 2" apart and so close as i always looked for few empty tables next to mine. 

I am going to disagree with you about Surf Kitchen in that IMO the food pretty much sucks. Sorry, but IMO it is poorly done Farang Thai. I went there a few times when I first starting exploring Jomtien and quickly wrote it off.

Also, there are cats, dogs, and rats walking through. No thanks.

Glad you enjoy it, but not for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

2 weeks ago, I was there around 6pm, only for a coffee and a slice of cake  as I don't like their "International" or Thai food so much.

Sure - not full as usual, but compared to others, doing  quite well. 

Social distancing seems to be nothing to complain about, as 2 policemen were sitting inside.

• Like 1

Had a drive right to the end of beach road Jomtien last night, there are 3 seafood places, one is Poo Pen, other 2 are either side of it, one is on the corner where beach road turns and all 3 were rammed. I suspect 95% Thai, missus reckoned that they travel from BKK, Chonburi, Rayon etc. start of weekend.

Also lots of Thais on the footpath having picnic. 

Good to see, with that volume of people eating/drinking, am sure that there were a few hundred people back working in the kitchen, service etc.

Contrast that to the opposite end, near Dong Tang, so quiet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimboh said:

Had a drive right to the end of beach road Jomtien last night, there are 3 seafood places, one is Poo Pen, other 2 are either side of it, one is on the corner where beach road turns and all 3 were rammed. 

That one is called Loong Sawai and is much older than Poo Pen.

If you followed the road that turns left, you will also find Loong Sawai 2.

42 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

That one is called Loong Sawai and is much older than Poo Pen.

If you followed the road that turns left, you will also find Loong Sawai 2.

Have eaten there on and off because I like the location but to be honest mostly so so for the food.

Surf Kitchen very much a Thai Ferang restaurant that I always found the service pretty slow and poor the food again so so and as mentioned above there better cheaper Thai restaurants around.

The one at the top of Soi 5 the name escapes me was always fairly steady in the food and service was ok.

Went to meet some friends at News for a birthday celebration get together. News is still closed. The planning committee received a little grief. The birthday girl picked Natan's as the backup plan.

La Bocca discounted all menu prices by 15%.

On 01/07/2020 at 00:59, ChiFlyer said:

Went to meet some friends at News for a birthday celebration get together. News is still closed. The planning committee received a little grief. The birthday girl picked Natan's as the backup plan.

Looks like News opened the day after we were there.

On 27/06/2020 at 07:14, Czmate said:

Have eaten there on and off because I like the location but to be honest mostly so so for the food.

Surf Kitchen very much a Thai Ferang restaurant that I always found the service pretty slow and poor the food again so so and as mentioned above there better cheaper Thai restaurants around.

The one at the top of Soi 5 the name escapes me was always fairly steady in the food and service was ok.

Be Interested in knowing about other thai farang food places that are better than Surf Kitchen and Kiss restaurant in Jomtien?? as both these 2 are very busy places so they must be doing something right...or is it just because of their good locations??
The thai food at Surf is nice but would agree the farang foods are avge. They do have a sushi bar and make their own cakes and ice creams which have always been very nice too.

Surf Kitchen has been my go to for a decade.

Last year, (actually this calendar year but somehow feels an aeon ago) bit put off by

1. Green chicken curry (their signature dish) clipping up from 99 baht.

2.Occasionally very slow service especially from the "gep tang" till the bill finally comes.

3. More smokers than I would like, (many Russians like it), of course I prefer zero (smokers -not Russians do not care about them unless they smoke).

4.Suddenly government tax appeared (about 7%). Do not know if that is because I became a bit free with the orders or the restaurant has been reclassified.  Anyone know?  

Unfortunately I am not one of the governments choice high grade tourists and this is enough to have me in Opal house 50 metres along.

Kiss is really just a tin cup with ideas above its ability, zero dining pleasure, prefer the kebab stand alongside.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Be Interested in knowing about other thai farang food places that are better than Surf Kitchen and Kiss restaurant in Jomtien?? as both these 2 are very busy places so they must be doing something right...or is it just because of their good locations??
The thai food at Surf is nice but would agree the farang foods are avge. They do have a sushi bar and make their own cakes and ice creams which have always been very nice too.

I would say that it is indeed about their locations.

Sandbar has a decent assortment of Farang and Thai dishes on their menu. I have never ordered the Thai dishes there. The GF has tried them and said pet mak mak (too spicy) a couple of times. The ambience is several levels above Surf Kitchen.

The same guy owns Sands Cafe over on soi 5 in the Cozy Beach area. Very good IMO and a nice walk in along Dongtan Beach from the Police Station.

May's Urban Dining on Thepprasit has excellent Bangkok style Thai food, but no Farang food as I recall.

Cafe le Mar has good not great Thai and Farang food, certainly better than Surf Kitchen. They are currently closed for extensive remodeling.

Mr. Moo's on soi 7 (also currently closed for remodeling) has better food, both Thai and Farang, than Surf Kitchen and is considerably cheaper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Cafe le Mar has good not great Thai and Farang food, certainly better than Surf Kitchen. They are currently closed for extensive remodeling.

Passed by yesterday, looks like will be open within the next few days, tables being put  outside. Actually looking nice.

15 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I would say that it is indeed about their locations.

Sandbar has a decent assortment of Farang and Thai dishes on their menu. I have never ordered the Thai dishes there. The GF has tried them and said pet mak mak (too spicy) a couple of times. The ambience is several levels above Surf Kitchen.

The same guy owns Sands Cafe over on soi 5 in the Cozy Beach area. Very good IMO and a nice walk in along Dongtan Beach from the Police Station.

May's Urban Dining on Thepprasit has excellent Bangkok style Thai food, but no Farang food as I recall.

Mr. Moo's on soi 7 (also currently closed for remodeling) has better food, both Thai and Farang, than Surf Kitchen and is considerably cheaper.

Yes have read good reports on Sands cafe and wondered if it was same owner as Sand bar as been there few times and nice quality boutique style place, which is nice change to other restaurants there.

As was limited to frequent visits to Pig & Whistle and Tinnies too which are both nice and not far from the condo. Often looked over at Natans as always looked busy place too??

Thanks for the continued updates on dining in Jomtien.