IGNORED

Kungs Hot Sausage (recommended)

14 hours ago, limirl said:

Most disappointing thing about kungs English breakfast is they constantly serve up snotty jizzy sunny side up eggs. To be honest almost everywhere in Pattaya does this. It turns my stomach when I see the egg whites extra runny and watery. I sent them back at kungs and sure enough when they came out the 2nd time they were way overcooked. Not the first time they've done this.

memorable encounter with food-poisoning some twenty years ago, due to under-cooked fried-eggs at a resort-hotel down in Songkhla, taught me to do the same thing  ...  or order my eggs scrambled or as an omelette instead of simply fried. 

Even poached-eggs, which are slowly becoming more common IME, can arrive too sloppy/undercooked at times. 🙄

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

memorable encounter with food-poisoning some twenty years ago, due to under-cooked fried-eggs at a resort-hotel down in Songkhla, taught me to do the same thing  ...  or order my eggs scrambled or as an omelette instead of simply fried. 

I share the aversion to undercooked eggs.  I ask for my omelette "well done." If at a buffet, I invariably ask them to cook it a little more when they want to put it on my plate.

• Like 1

I stopped going to Kungs as 3 separate occasions they screwed up my egg order. The scrambled eggs were runny almost soup like, sunny side eggs was raw on top. They have good sausage's but when a cook can't make a simple fired egg it's time to look for a another breakfast spot.

• 1 month later...

Kungs breakfast.
After hearing so much about Kungs (on soi Lengkee) I felt compelled to give it a try. I went twice.... once for a late afternoon snack and once for a full breakfast.
Kungs is perhaps a little different to many other breakfast places in that they apparently make their own sausages and pride themselves on this. This is important to me because (heed this if you own a restaurant in Pattaya...) the quality of the sausage makes or breaks an English breakfast. The quality of the bacon is important too but skimping on sausage-quality is a straight red card. Most places manage to get the eggs and beans and toast etc right so I often choose where to eat based on how good the sausage is.

The reviews for Kungs on Trip Advisor are polarised. There are many 5* reviews with gushing comments about the quality and value. But there are also a lot of 1* reviews from  people who didn't get what they hoped for and a lot of comments about burnt sausages. Overall, at the time of writing, the Trip Advisor score is 3.5.

For me, breakfast was a mixed bag.....

Pros: good value for money. I had the 'regular' breakfast for 145 baht and it was plenty big enough. 2 sausage, 2 eggs, hash brown, beans and tomato. It also in included 2 toast (and 2 jam), and tea or coffee. I don't drink these so they gave me a bottle of water instead which is appreciated. For those of us that don't drink tea or coffee its a real shame when no simple alternative (water or juice) is offered in the price, so well done Kungs. I chose a Cumberland and a Lincolnshire sausage and both were very tasty. A real positive surprise was the high quality of the bacon.

Cons: unfortunately all was not roses. The Cumberland sausage was raw in the middle so I abandoned it. I'm not the only one to mention this problem as the cooking of their sausage has come up several times on Trip Advisor. Also the hash brown was a bit naf. Another minor negative was the gruff service. On both visits I didn't find it a very friendly or welcoming place and as it was only half full they can't blame being under pressure. When I had the afternoon meal there, I was served something different to what I had ordered. I politely explained that this was the wrong meal and after some fussing they changed it.

I'd describe Kungs breakfast as 'nearly excellent'. If they could get the cooking of the sausage sorted out and serve it with a smile I'd give it 5 stars. At the moment, I reckon 3.5 is about right.

Ps.. I would have upped this to 4 stars if they'd served proper 'Colmans' English mustard rather than generic.... (sorry but Colmans is a big deal for mustard lovers) .

How hard is it to cook some eggs and a bloody sausage?

IMG_4245.jpeg

Edited by Arnie85