IGNORED

What's the worst thing that's ever happened you in Pattaya or Thailand in general?

jmooney

On 10/08/2021 at 16:35, Steve1981 said:

Somehow caught ocular herpes in my left eye. …

So for the love of Christ, don't touch your eyes without scrubbing your hands. 

I had similar. Must’ve rubbed my eye after handling the used condom.

Honestly, you need eyes in your backside in this game..

Almost got jumped by 6 Thai dudes because I was annoyed they shook me down by adding a bunch of shit to my tab I never ordered and wanted 6k baht when I ordered 4 lady drinks, 1 Singha and a flight of shots. 

Should have only been 1520 baht but ended up out an extra 3000 to appease them. 

Worst thing that has happened to me in Pattaya?

The VERY worst thing is probably when I went for a Thai massage in Soi Buakhao for my bad back, and do you know what?  The young lady only went and demanded she give me a blowjob too - it was a disgrace I tell you.

I felt used and abused, and quite frankly shocked.

I went back about half a dozen times just to check if the other girls were just as bad as her, and I'm upset to report that yes, they were.

• 3 weeks later...

I lost count of how many trips I've done... typically 3 or so per year in the past 10 years. Plenty of great experiences, that's why I keep on coming! For the bad ones:

1) Obligatory diarrhea: if you didn't catch one, you haven't hit those food stalls hard enough. Essential part of the thai experience! Eating banana and boiled rice for 3 days straight typically solves the issue.

2) Hassled by freelancer: silly day, nothing going on. I was not even drunk, I just went down to 7-11 at night for some nibbles. As I was walking, someone grabbed me by the arm. Points to some building works. Proceeds to BJ me. YES, I know I should have not done it (live and learn). But I did. And when it was over, the lady demanded more and more money. She wouldn't  let me go, grabbing me hard with both hands. I looked at her feet and she had sandals. I had trainers, LOL. Gentle push and ran for my life. Don't do crazy plans with freelancers, kids... no matter how bored you are.

3) Lost my long haul flight at 12 am because I thought it was supposed to depart at 12 pm

4) Arrived very tired after a 12h flight from London to BKK. Condo type of room and the people at reception was not longer around. Room had cockroaches crawling around. I couldn't be arsed to do an emergency number so I slept with lights on and cockroaches around me (praying they would stay in the bathroom and kitchen and wouldn't come to the bed area)

5) Hassled by scooter rental at koh lan, who demanded an amount of money clearly above what it should be.

• Haha 2

Second visit to Pattaya botched by food poisoning. Took a small bite of some pork sausage I thought it looked a bit pink when I cut into it but I second guessed and thought it would be ok (narrator: it wasn't ok). It was only a tiny piece so I thought if anything maybe I'd get the runs for a day or two...

Nothing but hot water and mucus coming out of my ass around 7-10x a day for at least three days. One morning woke up feeling like I had an outer (outer? out-of?) body experience~

I was out of bed, back on the terlet. Dizzy... didn't know where I was. Disconnected from reality... felt as if I was about to lose consciousness. I knew I was awake but I didn't really believe it. I thought I must still be dreaming... Kept trying to wake myself up out of it. Really scary shit. My heart pounding out of my chest snapped me out of it for a bit and immediately hopped in a bolt to the hospital.

G bless thai healthcare... got hooked up to an IV right away, sent home with a bag of meds about 5ish hours later. $180USD total damage (to think if this ordeal would have happened to me in the states pffffffffff forget about it probably would cost in the $1,000's)

Fuckin sausage put me out of commission for nearly half my trip 😠 but thankful for the care I got 👍

Anyway lesson learned... restaurants with massive menus now give me trepidation (assuming higher risk of cross contamination/ surplus spoiled food).... rather trust a street kitchen where I can see the food being cooked and where I can feel the heat of The Grill walking by/ tells me the food is at a safe temp.

Edited by truckjewels

Hit and run by a Thai university lecturer last month.

He got annoyed at some traffic lights, lunch time, chased me in his pickup and ran me and my m/c down to 'teach me a lesson'.

I didn't know anything at the time, only woke up while the ambulance crew were loading me into the van. 5 broken ribs, broken collarbone, collapsed lung, multiple cuts and bruises, essentially my entire right side was crushed by his pickup, without my full face helmet I'd have been dead.

5 weeks later ......... everything healing, confined to my home, still can't walk.

Police caught him from viewing traffic light and 7-11 shop security video (amazed), his 1st class insurance are paying for everything, m/c already repaired (30kbht-ish), hospital bills covered (even more amazed), sick pay from insurance (minimum daily wage). Police action and jail/compensation judgement TBA (I'll be truly amazed if this happens).

Too old for this nonsense at 67 I don't expect some nutter to try and kill me over his 'bad day'. Gotta say the Thai police, ambulance service, government hospital and insurance company (his 1st class and my government minimum)have all been incredible. I expected this all to have been my fault (for being here) and at my expense.

Edited by britmantoo

Read through this whole thread and some are horror stories for sure.  My first trip to Thailand and Pattaya is coming up next year, so very interested in guy's experiences.  Didn't know about some ATMs eating your debit/credit cards, occular hepatitis etc. The other bad stuff like food poisoning, infections, injuries can happen at home also.  One thing is I avoid wearing rubber flipflops/thongs especially as they can break easily while walking causing you to stub a toe or worse, even at your home.  For walking outside, I wear sneakers or trainers with socks.  Sometimes stubbing your toe or cutting your foot even on concrete or exposed coral can infect you with flesh eating virus or similar.  As for getting drugged, I learned to never leave your drink open on the table if you have to leave temporarily, or witness your beer bottle being  opened.  About getting drugged by a lady you bring to your room, need to use common sense and not be drunk (my opinion ).  But that one can get difficult. Anyway thanks to all who shared their stories so noobs like me can be aware. 

19 hours ago, britmantoo said:

Hit and run by a Thai university lecturer last month.

He got annoyed at some traffic lights, lunch time, chased me in his pickup and ran me and my m/c down to 'teach me a lesson'.

What lesson was that?