IGNORED

What's the worst thing that's ever happened you in Pattaya or Thailand in general?

jmooney

2 hours ago, keepitfun said:

Still angry.....bloody restaurant in Patts brought my entree and main at the same time.  Fuckers.

You got lucky, they usually bring my main first and the entree half an hour later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Appendectomy, 3 weeks ago while in Pattaya.  Felt the first hint of pain at about 10 am and it got progressively worse over the course of the day, a day btw that I signed a condo lease and was supposed to move my stuff over.  Talk about bad timing.  By the overnight I was feverish and didn't sleep a wink so knew something pretty bad was up.  Headed over to Bangkok Hospital and after xrays and an MRI was told that my appendix was roughly double its normal size and that immediate surgery was required, lest it burst inside my stomach.  First time under the knife in my life (50 yo).  From check in to surgery was about 6 hours.  Released after 3 nights and still recovering but much better now - in the first few days something as simple as a sneeze or even blowing my nose was really painful.  Insurance covered everything after the 30k THB deductible, thankfully but f me, the hospital was all over payment - had to put a hold/guarantee on a credit card (while the insurance was being sorted) before they would literally life a finger.  Once done though, I thought the quality of care was pretty good.  This has been my most trying experience in Thailand by far.

On 22/03/2021 at 10:06, Arnie85 said:
On 22/03/2021 at 07:07, keepitfun said:

.bloody restaurant in Patts brought my entree and main at the same time.  Fuckers.

You got lucky, they usually bring my main first and the entree half an hour later. 

Breakfast in Chiang Mai.

Bacon and eggs came first, then mango with yogurt plus glass of orange juice.

All tasty; there is no point in being difficult to the waiter/waitress!

Yeah they don’t do courses in Asia. Everything comes as it comes. Drives us highly strung western people nuts. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Not Thailands fault but every thing bad that happened to me in Thailand could have happened in the UK but I was just in Thailand at the time.

2 serious trips to Hospital on life threatening & the other surgery to fix me up.

One was paid for by the insurance & the other my insurance made small print references & would not pay me out.

So yes I was out of pocket by a million Baht give or take.

I am alive & ready for the next thing to come at me. :Number1a:

Such is life.

Jack.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2019 at 13:04, kalleh666 said:

Got drugged by a freelancer from WS and 60,000 baht disappeared from my locked safety box. On the first night of a 2 week trip. Still have a picture of her ID just in case I run into her again 555

how is that possible? She knows to how to break those safes?

On 05/11/2019 at 18:34, Biennial said:

You could have gone to a pharmacy in Thailand. My experience is that they speak very good english, and can diagnose you on the spot and give you the meds you need. In your case 500 mg Cipro.

Edited by MangoLove69

Reading some of these tales of woe, I guess I've been lucky.

Only medical problem I've had in Thailand was a very painful sudden-onset ear infection (got from Nana hotel swimming pool/jacuzzi in BKK which is like swimming in a bowl of minestrone soup). A Thai bird (non P4P) I knew took me to Bumrungrad Hospital and I got antibiotics and some ear drops: sorted. Was better after 2 or 3 days. 

Back in the days when I used to tear it up on the booze 24/7 (pre-2010, really), I once woke up alone (again in Bangkok) with my phone gone and no recollection of where I might have lost it or had it nicked. Different Thai bird (P4P) went with me to police station and we got a police report (I said I'd been pickpocketed while walking down Sukhumvit) and I claimed it on the travel insurance (didn't have phone receipt, so claimed for a newer more expensive model) and got more money than the phone I lost was worth. Result.

Another time, again back in my drinking days, I got home from Pattaya and checked my bank account and over 300k baht had been withdrawn in instalments off my debit card (UK bank) during the last 3 days I'd been in Thailand that definitely wasn't me. Card must've been cloned somehow when I was in Pattaya. No idea exactly when. I rang the UK bank. Got a brilliant Geordie bloke who sounded like he 100% knew the score re. Pattaya. He was able to tell me the exact times and locations of withdrawals and (since some were made after I'd left Pattaya and even on for two while I was actually on a plane) it was clearly theft. Card was stopped and all the missing money back in my account within an hour or so. Brilliant service. 

As I say, lucky. S'funny - since I stopped getting totally hammered on the booze, nothing bad's happened. Easy enough dots to join. :Whistle:

Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

On 27/10/2020 at 10:21, shadscat said:

getting set up by Thai cops on false hit and run / attempted murder charge claimed I ran over a girl on purpose whilst leaving my house. ( there was no accident at all ) they produced 2 undercover cops as witnesses ( odd as i lived on a dead end street with zero pedestrians. ) the girl ( fake victim was an American Thai ) was dating a Thai cop. She had smashed herself up and had hospital reports etc. Neighbours told me the that she had convinced the cops I was a major drug dealer so i deserved to be set up. ( not true i might add i'm totally anti recs and don't even drink ). I knew her from Marine bar but never banged her. Must have found out my home addy from the grapevine. This was approx 15 years ago hence i'm posting sure her and the cops involved are long gone by now as am I.

Damn, how did you get away from that one??

Got hit by a drunk-driver on BR around 2008, in hospital for 2wks or so. The positive was in the families apology they brought an amazing TG to stay with me in hospital for the duration, too fk'd to think about money, and my insurance covered it all anyway, made a full recovery. The TG ended up staying another month, did some travellin around thai, then parted ways not long after returning to Patts. The itemised bill I signed was 200k total, but my friends bill for a similar accident but with different injuries was over 1M, also covered by insurance. Had plenty more thai hospital trips but all minor in comparison to that one, always something. Definitely made me v aware of traffic in Patts, and I never get too far drunk. I still get drunk, and have fun, but v aware of whats going on around, as too many times seen things go from all smiles to disaster in a split second, as rare as it happens.

• Like 3

On 26/03/2021 at 20:11, Turtle123 said:

OK, but it works.

5 hours ago, Biennial said:

OK, but it works.

didn’t you watch the video lol. it doesn’t work. it makes u think it works by suppressing ur symptoms. you don’t take care of the root problem like this. you need to clean ur lymphatic system which is the root cause.  a clean septic take won’t have issues dealing with the bacteria it comes into contact with.

Burger King in Chewang Beach Koh Samui. Me and a few of my mates were so drunk we thought we were in McDonald's. Got to the till and tried to order a Big Mac and a Mcflurry. This must of been some sort of code word to the fella that worked on the till because he followed me back to my table and then motioned for me to follow him into the disabled toilets and pulled out a load of little bags of white powder and started saying "yeeeesss big mac" 

Told him that I'm not interested in whatever it is so we all got up and left. Within seconds of leaving burger King and looking to wave down a mototaxi the police showed up and pinned us all up against the front windows of burger King and started going through our pockets.

No doubt it was some sort of well rehearsed sting that must of happened a few times before. Apart from being a bit shaken and worried we might get something planted on us it was over quite quickly once they realised we didn't take anything from the BK worker. One to look out for anyone who goes to Samui. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bought one of those microwaveable meals at a well-known supermarket. About an hour after consumption, during the night threw up ten times and had the squits on four occasions.

I suppose one small mercy was my stomach had the sense to reject whatever it was very quickly.

I always wear socks in Thailand, one bout of cellulitis was enough to convince me barefoot or no socks in thongs or sandals invites infection.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ATM76 said:

Bought one of those microwaveable meals at a well-known supermarket. About an hour after consumption, during the night threw up ten times and had the squits on four occasions.

I suppose one small mercy was my stomach had the sense to reject whatever it was very quickly.

I always wear socks in Thailand, one bout of cellulitis was enough to convince me barefoot or no socks in thongs or sandals invites infection.

Don't see how socks would protect you from infection in sandals 555 

5 hours ago, BuakhaoBarry said:

Don't see how socks would protect you from infection in sandals 555 

Take a look at the soles of your feet after a day in thongs, compared with a day in socks. There's a discernible difference in dirt accumulation.

1 hour ago, ATM76 said:

Take a look at the soles of your feet after a day in thongs, compared with a day in socks. There's a discernible difference in dirt accumulation.

I'll take my chances, I am not going to trash my street cred and place at the bleeding edge of fashion for nothing.

4 hours ago, rope-a-dope said:

I'll take my chances, I am not going to trash my street cred and place at the bleeding edge of fashion for nothing.

Personally, I've found the best form of street cred is a fat wallet.

Bleeding edge of fashion is a new one on me, is that the same as suffering for one's art?

• Haha 1

Hypothetically -

I was stopped at a police check point coming back from a night of drinking at Patong in Phuket on the way back to Karon on a moped.

Was pulled over and confidently showed my international driver's license and was reaching for my wallet to get my driver's license. The police officer immediately reached out, thrust his hand into my wallet to see how much cash was in it. (I stupidly slapped his hand back.)

Mr Grumpy Policeman then whips out the breathalyzer and I blew well over the limit (.05 or .08 ) he motions me over to the side. 

Being a tiny bit relaxed from a night of recreation, I walked away from the policeman, hopped on the moped and drove off - leaving the two policemen at the check point dumbfounded.

I sped off, paranoid and terrified of pursuit - though there was none.

By far, this was my worst experience in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, ATM76 said:

Wouldn't the socks just hold the dirt and disease against your skin though? 

Walking around in sandals will obviously put your feet against the elements and diseases, with socks and with the socks soaking up the shite from the street and keeping it against your skin is obviously a lot worse. Socks with sandals anyway... I bet you look like a hamsum maàan 

Edited by BuakhaoBarry

1 hour ago, BuakhaoBarry said:

Wouldn't the socks just hold the dirt and disease against your skin though? 

Walking around in sandals will obviously put your feet against the elements and diseases, with socks and with the socks soaking up the shite from the street and keeping it against your skin is obviously a lot worse. Socks with sandals anyway... I bet you look like a hamsum maàan 

Guess again, I wear boat shoes, golf shoes and runners.

I'm not very fashion-conscious, most of it is bullshit. However, I do know socks and sandals is the fashion equivalent of a turd in a punch bowl.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Took home a dud root. Absolutely demoralizing.  I'll no doubt get back on the horse and do it again though. Hopefully soon.

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2021 at 11:28, ATM76 said:

Guess again, I wear boat shoes, golf shoes and runners.

I'm not very fashion-conscious, most of it is bullshit. However, I do know socks and sandals is the fashion equivalent of a turd in a punch bowl.

Unless you are German 

• Haha 3