IGNORED

Tequila Reef New Ownership With Large Improvements

6 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

I think tortilla chips actually are very expensive here.

Lard? You're right. That's the taste of a lot of authentic Mexican food.

Personally I like lighter versions. It's kind of like ghee vs. oil in Indian food. 

If tortialla chips are expensive there, that's hilarious. We have a tortilla making machine kind of as our gimmick out in front of the kitchen. Serve 'em up warm. Free all you can eat chips really drive our alcohol sales. Just about tripled booze since we got the tortilla chip maker.  Gotta have a good picante sauce for them too. But again, really cheap.

15 minutes ago, hooplehead said:

If tortialla chips are expensive there, that's hilarious. We have a tortilla making machine kind of as our gimmick out in front of the kitchen. Serve 'em up warm. Free all you can eat chips really drive our alcohol sales. Just about tripled booze since we got the tortilla chip maker.  Gotta have a good picante sauce for them too. But again, really cheap.

Different foods have different prices in different countries. 

Edited by Kreggerz

3 hours ago, hooplehead said:

As a Mexican restaurant owner in the US with two Mexican partners, read this thread from beginning to end.

Suggestions:

-Ditch the fries. Serve Mexican food, not burgers, not Thai food. No fries. 

-No need to skimp on the nachos. Pile them high. Tortilla chips are dirt cheap, especially if you make your own.

-Before you wrap and sauce your burritos, throw them on the skillet with a touch of lard after steaming them.

-Put lard in your refried beans. Burn the pan. 

-Less lettuce and cheese on your tacos. More meat. Not fooling anyone.

-Don't use vegetable oil for anything. All lard, for everything.

-Push the pork. El pastor (marinated pork) is easier to make extremely delicious than chicken. Chicken is dry and tough to teach to get right. Different process for chicken burrito meat vs. taco meat, I still struggle with chicken after 10 years in the kitchen with my Mexican partners. 

-Get the rice right you put in your burritos. Little lime, whisp of cilantro (not too much)

-Can't taste your mole sauce on your burritos, but the color doesn't look right (though could be camera). Maybe test various permutations of the mole sauce with customers.

-THat's all the advice I can offer with those few photos :)

Hope that helps. I'll be there for Christmas, I'll come check it out!

Here in California one of the most popular items on the menu in Mexican  restaurants is a burrito that has fries in it instead of beans. Also fries are so popular anyway i would think they can stay on the menu but this is just an opinion of a mexican food lover and not a restaurant owner. All the other suggestions I really like as it sounds like this guy has a restaurant I would enjoy visiting. Absolutely on the El pastor !

11 hours ago, deandog said:

Here in California one of the most popular items on the menu in Mexican  restaurants is a burrito that has fries in it instead of beans. Also fries are so popular anyway i would think they can stay on the menu but this is just an opinion of a mexican food lover and not a restaurant owner. All the other suggestions I really like as it sounds like this guy has a restaurant I would enjoy visiting. Absolutely on the El pastor !

Ah the surfer/stoner burrito. You have a point, maybe there is room for fries, as Pattaya has plenty of people looking for drunk food. Fries in burrito's are known as drunk guy frat boy after bar food around here. My Mexican partners are amused by the Surf n Turf/California french fry stuffed burrito. They just shake their head and say "Crazy gringos." But yeah, could see it going over well in Pattaya, so I walk back the bit about fries. I guess I would go completely Mexican authentic though in Pattaya, as so so many restaurants want to be everything to everyone. 

I'm from the mind that if you do that--have a pizzeria or Greek food joint and offer burgers and Thai food, you've just diluted yourself amongst 20,000 other restaurants in the city. But if you DON'T offer Thai food, don't offer burgers at a greek or pizza joint, you are then unique. But not only unique--you can concentrate on what you do, and do it well. If you have to have a chef know Mexican food, plus your burgers, fish n chips, salads, Thai food, the quality of your bread and butter gets diluted. Add to that Thai chefs who probably don't really know any Western food from scratch--you're asking them to basically run 3-4-5 vastly different kitchens in one--all with varying pallettes, in one small kitchen. Of course quality is going to suffer. 

Edited by hooplehead
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, hooplehead said:

Well hooplehead I have enjoyed your 3 inputs I read in this thread so far very much, so thanks for that.

I wanted to ask a question totally out of left field if you don't mind answering, ok if you don't want to. Is it possible to make tortilla/corn chips with a brand on them? Like maybe a simple logo "burnt" into them, or embossed into them, or something? This is nothing to do with a resto, it's a business promo giveaway idea I've had and I want to know if it's even practically possible. Thanks in advance if you are able to give an answer. Cheers.

Edited by DaveLock

1 hour ago, DaveLock said:

Well hooplehead I have enjoyed your 3 inputs I read in this thread so far very much, so thanks for that.

I wanted to ask a question totally out of left field if you don't mind answering, ok if you don't want to. Is it possible to make tortilla/corn chips with a brand on them? Like maybe a simple logo "burnt" into them, or embossed into them, or something? This is nothing to do with a resto, it's a business promo giveaway idea I've had and I want to know if it's even practically possible. Thanks in advance if you are able to give an answer. Cheers.

Hmmm...perhaps? The tortilla machine is a kind of press, usually flat, I guess you could grind some sort of impression in it. It might weaken the chip and cause breaks though, but interesting idea, don't care to try my self but google it, research it, and if you have success, let me know, sounds interesting!

24 minutes ago, hooplehead said:

Hmmm...perhaps? The tortilla machine is a kind of press, usually flat, I guess you could grind some sort of impression in it. It might weaken the chip and cause breaks though, but interesting idea, don't care to try my self but google it, research it, and if you have success, let me know, sounds interesting!

Thanks for replying, I will. I just wanted to know if my idea was totally ridiculous from the start, hehe. Cheers.

On 10/5/2017 at 08:00, tequilareef said:

Coming quite soon, we shall have what has always been called through the years "committee feeds" which is purely for adding menu items, making the food better and taste testing. These events entail all food on the house with set dishes, we would ask you buy a drink, soft or whatnot. Even that is not required just asked. We'll do the rest. 

We had a new item and option which might be in jeopardy if the key ingredient can no longer be obtained on a regular basis. That was queso cheese for nachos, jalapenos poppers and optional with some core Mexican items. Unfortunately, the main supplier of this ingredient stopped importing it.  From an initial rather intensive search and sourcing exercise, it appears this might be one of those items where "no have" shall be the norm. I just wanted to mention this as we shall be doing a special on a few queso cheese items while supplies last. Also, special menu items will be added for limited times to add more variety.

On a happier note, we have an excellent source in Chiang Mai for avocados so we shall be having a steady supply of guac which has always been a struggle. At this point in time, we are reluctantly buying from Friendship. We are trying to keep the costs down as many times you can find avocados that are both overpriced and the quality is not consistent some cases not acceptable. Hopefully in future Mos avocados imported from Australia will be more affordable to ensure a good steady supply. This is supposed to happen but we all know how the best-laid plans in Thailand end up being a pipe dream. 

Another no-brainer to be added shall be special party packs to fit your budget and event size. 

If anybody knows of a possible RELIABLE supplier for queso cheese, please PM me so I can make inquiries. We've called previous main suppliers already and the demand may not have been there to make it feasible to import any longer at the price we needed to be. 

At the end of the day, our goal is to have Tequila Reef back on the top of your list when it comes to Mexican food in Pattaya. With that said, no matter what we do we'll still get crucified by some of you no matter what we do. Nonetheless, this board shall be used for both feedback and promotion. Yes yes, there are other things that truly need to eradicated but only time shall ultimately dictate that. I can tell you it will be sooner than later. Everything written here has been planned for literally years.

Again thanks for your input gentleman and the positive energy offered by you well-wishers makes all the difference in the World. Please keep the input coming no matter what it might be. 

Hi, did this ever get off the ground? Do you now have guacamole as a regular item? did you change your menu's? Only asking as I promised to come back when you fixed things :D 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:27, hooplehead said:

Suggestions:

-Ditch the fries. Serve Mexican food, not burgers, not Thai food. No fries. 

Serving strictly Mexican would lose at least me as a customer AC.
I do not eat Mexican, but I love their salmon.
Not serving Thai, I think, will limit the options for dining with a Thai "date".
In the US, when having to go Mexican, I opt for a chicken caesar salad and I have never been to one where it is not served.
Just about Every mindful restaurant has options for those not keen on a particular cuisine. As an example, I used to hold seminars at a previous employ and used to take them all to dinner at Saybrook Fish House. Imagine if they only served Fish. Without chicken, pork and beef on the menu I would never have stood a change taking a group of 30 people there.
I would think a restaurateur will know what sells and what does not and if fries sells, then probably best to offer them. BTW I have had fries in Mexican restaurants in Mexico.

I actually created a thread years ago asking why most every non Thai restaurant in Pattaya serves optional Thai dishes. To me it didn't seem to make sense, after all I don't go to a sushi restaurant back home and expect to see a burger and fries on the menu.

But after some forum members pointed out that having Thai food on the menu makes sense, since your Thai friends may not want to eat non Thai food but you do, I understood.

As far as lard, I know it's a personal taste thing, but I don't eat anything cooked in lard. I know this is an old article, but not all Mexican eateries in the U.S. use lard.

Many local Mexican restaurants are using alternative sources of fat.

Edited by QuotaMan

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Dear TR owner: disregard all of my advice. Instead listen to all the guys who posted after me.  My partners may be playing a long con on me and are probably not even Mexican based on the big brains in this thread.

Good luck!

On 12/2/2017 at 21:19, hooplehead said:

I'm from the mind that if you do that--have a pizzeria or Greek food joint and offer burgers and Thai food, you've just diluted yourself amongst 20,000 other restaurants in the city. But if you DON'T offer Thai food, don't offer burgers at a greek or pizza joint, you are then unique. But not only unique--you can concentrate on what you do, and do it well. If you have to have a chef know Mexican food, plus your burgers, fish n chips, salads, Thai food, the quality of your bread and butter gets diluted. Add to that Thai chefs who probably don't really know any Western food from scratch--you're asking them to basically run 3-4-5 vastly different kitchens in one--all with varying pallettes, in one small kitchen. Of course quality is going to suffer. 

If you don't have Thai food on the menu you're going to lose a lot of customers. Some Thai girls won't eat anything else or want to order a Thai dish in case they don't like the food they ordered. The guys who bring their wives/gfs in a place that doesn't have thai food are going to be with a very angry thai girl for the next week or so. 

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

I recently returned from my Nov/Dec trip to Pattaya and visited Tequila Reef quite a bit during my three week stay.  I also got to speak to the owner one night while there.  He's a nice guy who's been living in Thailand since he was 18, at least i think that's what he told us.  We had a conversation about his former life in the states and our current lives in California.

During my visits there I had the tequila wings, the Bacon cheese burger, the blackened salmon, and the nachos and potato crisps as appetizers.  All of the items were great as usual and I have no complaints about the food.  I did, however, notice a drop in service.  Whenever we ate outside the waitresses would take our original order and then go back inside and seem to forget we were there.  They tended to congregate and chat amongst each other in the corner area to the left of the bar.  The problem with this is that they can't see the customers eating outside and we had to either knock on the glass or walk inside to get their attention.  Ice, the previous waitress who had worked there for years, seemed to be much more attentive and proactive.  Just having the waitresses do an occasional check on customers could help to remedy this.  Even eating inside they seemed to be less attentive than previous staff, IMO.

That said, TR is still one of my favorite restaurants in Pattaya and the tequila wings and margaritas are worth the visit. 

I like to call Mexican food here......Mexican flavor which all it ever is, Sam's was the closest I have in Pattaya, and Taco taco in Bangkok

20 minutes ago, just hanging said:

I like to call Mexican food here......Mexican flavor which all it ever is, Sam's was the closest I have in Pattaya, and Taco taco in Bangkok

Sam's?

19 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Sam's?

yes, in jomtein but closed now.....so sad, hit it a couple of times a week but not a great location and he didnt promote it.  RMPM has a couple of mex dishes which are good but limited.  I wish this restaurant would find sams cooks and hire them, problem fixed

Mexican Tacos.JPG

mexican.JPG

Mexican copy.JPG

3 hours ago, Aprod said:

...  I did, however, notice a drop in service.  Whenever we ate outside the waitresses would take our original order and then go back inside and seem to forget we were there.  They tended to congregate and chat amongst each other in the corner area to the left of the bar.  The problem with this is that they can't see the customers eating outside and we had to either knock on the glass or walk inside to get their attention.  Ice, the previous waitress who had worked there for years, seemed to be much more attentive and proactive.  Just having the waitresses do an occasional check on customers could help to remedy this.  Even eating inside they seemed to be less attentive than previous staff, IMO... 

And maybe they could put buzzers on the outside tables too. Simple way for outside customers to get the staff's attention even when they're busy. Cheers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, just hanging said:

yes, in jomtein but closed now.....so sad, hit it a couple of times a week but not a great location and he didnt promote it.  RMPM has a couple of mex dishes which are good but limited.  I wish this restaurant would find sams cooks and hire them, problem fixed

Sure......You gave me a glimmer of hope that there was some Mexican food in Pattaya I haven't tried, and then you pull the rug out from under me, thanks 5555555

On a serious note, any idea why all these so-called Mexican restaurants in Pattaya and AC serve a soft taco with a flour tortilla? In L.A. a taco is always with a corn tortilla, whether it is hard or soft. A burrito is served in a flour tortilla.

Is that tex-mex style? I grew up on baja mex. Just curious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aprod said:

...Whenever we ate outside the waitresses would take our original order and then go back inside and seem to forget we were there.  They tended to congregate and chat amongst each other in the corner area to the left of the bar. 

That's outrageous behavior. They are supposed to congregate there to peer endlessly into their phones. Something must be done about this!

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Sure......You gave me a glimmer of hope that there was some Mexican food in Pattaya I haven't tried, and then you pull the rug out from under me, thanks 5555555

On a serious note, any idea why all these so-called Mexican restaurants in Pattaya and AC serve a soft taco with a flour tortilla? In L.A. a taco is always with a corn tortilla, whether it is hard or soft. A burrito is served in a flour tortilla.

Is that tex-mex style? I grew up on baja mex. Just curious.

rich man poor man has some nice stuff.  their quesadillas are fantastic.  either pulled pork or smoked chicken. If I go with friends we get one to split, when I go myself I eat it all mmm

5a2f7c886df5b_Mexicanquesada3.thumb.JPG.1132f00943f9b1c044b4984323923f32.JPG5a2f7c946aff5_MexicanPlate.JPG.e413ec4cf0d7ff496f03cfeb87222050.JPG5a2f7c946aff5_MexicanPlate.JPG.e413ec4cf0d7ff496f03cfeb87222050.JPG

Mexican Plate copy.JPG

2 hours ago, DaveLock said:

And maybe they could put buzzers on the outside tables too. Simple way for outside customers to get the staff's attention even when they're busy. Cheers.

6 hours ago, Aprod said:

I recently returned from my Nov/Dec trip to Pattaya and visited Tequila Reef quite a bit during my three week stay.  I also got to speak to the owner one night while there.  He's a nice guy who's been living in Thailand since he was 18, at least i think that's what he told us.  We had a conversation about his former life in the states and our current lives in California.

During my visits there I had the tequila wings, the Bacon cheese burger, the blackened salmon, and the nachos and potato crisps as appetizers.  All of the items were great as usual and I have no complaints about the food.  I did, however, notice a drop in service.  Whenever we ate outside the waitresses would take our original order and then go back inside and seem to forget we were there.  They tended to congregate and chat amongst each other in the corner area to the left of the bar.  The problem with this is that they can't see the customers eating outside and we had to either knock on the glass or walk inside to get their attention.  Ice, the previous waitress who had worked there for years, seemed to be much more attentive and proactive.  Just having the waitresses do an occasional check on customers could help to remedy this.  Even eating inside they seemed to be less attentive than previous staff, IMO.

That said, TR is still one of my favorite restaurants in Pattaya and the tequila wings and margaritas are worth the visit. 

If you want to get the attention of service staff,  you can send them a message on their Facebook.

• Haha 2

again, I only ever had the ribs delivered and they were great.  When I start seeing good reports on the Mexican food, I will go on buffet day, since I am a pig

On 12/2/2017 at 21:50, Cerberus said:

Hi, did this ever get off the ground? Do you now have guacamole as a regular item? did you change your menu's? Only asking as I promised to come back when you fixed things :D 

This has not been forgotten there buddy and everything in due time as I have been busy with repairs, new air cons, new kitchen equipment among other things that needed immediate attention. We are also setting up some workshops for our staff along with monthly to weekly meetings. A whole new management and operations system is being put in place to address all concerns, both customer, and management level. This is a work in progress gentleman and I truly wish there were more than 24 hours in a day so I can get this place to a very balanced environment with something for everyone. Just like what was done in Angeles City.

In the meantime, bells shall be put on every table along with bells outside to ring inside and several other small things that improve customer service right away. I've done this before and that pretty much stopped service complaints overnight. 

I’d like to thank everyone for their constructive comments and criticisms as they do not fall on deaf ears at all. Every comment, good, bad or indifferent is very much appreciated and given careful consideration.

A new menu is in the works with many items priced exactly the same if not lower a bit in some cases as we wish to be in the reasonable price range.

Rome was certainly not built in a day and every day has been an adventure but I get a lot of encouragement from several locals who come to Tequila Reef quite a bit and from reading many comments here, we are doing something right.

I plan on changing my total work habits by coming into the restaurant every day and basically staying there most days which is sorely needed. This helps keep everyone in line and believe me I understand where all you guys are coming from when you say the service can be bad at times. This shall be changed and please continue to report any bad experiences here. If you do so, please state the date and time so things can be drilled down properly.

A few things being considered is a Burrito challenge monster burrito which will weigh about 2.5 kilos. We shall also be having more specials both lunch and dinner along with promos to keep things interesting.

Live and taped American sporting events shall also be added as this is lacking in Pattaya as well as some sporting events for our Europeans friends.

I appreciate your continued support guys and things will get better and I shall try to keep you all informed as much as possible.

We shall be having our annual Giant Christmas Dinner plate for only 625 baht which is more than most people can eat. Here's a photo of that:

Christmas Dinner Pattaya

We shall be having Christmas Dinner on both December 24 and 25th from 2:00 PM onwards. Please make your reservations here http://m.tequilareefpattaya.com/christmas-reservation so we can better serve you and your party. 

Again, thanks for all the input!

• Like 3

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Thanks for the update, it sounds as if you have your hands full but a simple update keeps everyone informed as to progress, That interest is a good thing and promising for your future.  We had a somewhat mediocre margarita when out the other day and thought of TR :D. (Better clarify that, I meant that TRs have always been excellent)

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1