IGNORED

Tequila Reef New Ownership With Large Improvements

1 minute ago, Highlander said:

I was talking generically about business in Thailand, not directly about this situation.

The reason for my post, was to reply to a BM who criticised those who choose to open a business in Thailand.

As I said, we don't know the whole story, I have little faith in the accuracy of any media let alone from Thai based media.

My bad then mate I completely took your post out of context. I may have gotten too serious and for that, I apologize. I did not address that particular post myself as IMHO with that attitude we might all want to bury our heads in the sand

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

4 minutes ago, tequilareef said:

My bad then mate I completely took your post out of context. I may have gotten too serious and for that, I apologize. I did not address that particular post myself as IMHO with that attitude we might all want to bury our heads in the sand

No problem mate, I understand that when you create a thread and have to reply to numerous posts, it is difficult to keep your eye on the ball.

In a later post in this thread I explained I have never had a problem there and will return on my next trip, which is still the case.

Good luck on your investment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tequilareef said:

Thanks for coming by and giving us a try and your honest review. Bad reviews and negative comments brings out the best with even more resolve in any good business owner. 

Before I answer specific posts in kind, I would like to preface this post by the simple fact I jumped the gun in posting about "large" improvements. This was due to my excitement of the future as Tequila Reef is in a good location and it has a lot of character along with a sound concept and branded name. And we have already made some giant steps but I knew there would be speedbumps along the way, some more profound or publicized than others. The more apropos title would have been "Tequila Reef New Ownership Many Modifications In The Works. When I originally posted this I was happy to see how far we had come in a relatively short period of time but there are many hurdles and bumps to iron out. 

I've owned my own business for 20 years and helped start 5 other successful businesses since I was 18 years old. This doesn't mean I'm perfect it just means I have experience. I grew up here in Thailand and know very well what is needed to "make the gravy brown", so does my good friend and manager, he's only been here for 31 years. He's from Texas and I'm from California and we are both very passionate about doing the best we can with the tools we have. The process of undertaking such a project is quite daunting but a promise was made and I intend to keep it. 

Any good restaurant is constantly striving for perfection but that can never be achieved in the food business, regardless of how much effort put into it or the money you spend on improvements. We are not looking to please everyone but we are looking to improve everything from the ground up. 

No slack is needed or asked for but your sediments are appreciated nonetheless. Thanks for that. We are certainly rethinking everything but there are certain priorities which must be fulfilled if you run a real American treaty corporation. Nothing can be achieved if our business is not structured properly and our financial obligations to the Thai government are not met. They have deadlines and I'm happy to say we have completed the endless amounts of paperwork involved in moving forward without fear of being shut down because of lack of due diligence. This is not an excuse, it's just a fact of doing business in Thailand the proper way.

This is very true but there are other considerations that must be taken into account before this can be done. Obviously, I cannot reveal the details but let's just say they are complicated and costly. 

I certainly need to know what others experience and I can't be in all places at all times. I believe I stated above our intentions and we know where all our problems lie. Stating how you would do things is pointless as you don't know the entire story. I'm sorry about your bad experience and if you wish, you can have a complete refund. 

May I ask if you have ever owned a business before? Does not seeing the owner mean he is not active or does it mean perhaps he's busy doing other things? Honest criticisms I can take without a problem but conjecture is something I don't care to address as I have more important things to worry about. Actions speak louder than words, especially words based on speculation. 

Please read above and thanks, we know we have a winning combination but a lot of hard work and time is needed to achieve our ultimate goal. 

Sounds like you might have done this before as this is what was done exactly in the Angeles City operation and that turned out quite well. That said, a lot was also learned from it which shall be applied here in Pattaya.

You don't have to be Mexican in origin to make it's native food properly. Same goes for many varieties of food. Why would somebody invest a large sum of money on somebody just because they are Mexican to come to Pattaya. The prices would have to reflect both the initial and reoccurring investment and I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't stand for that fact alone. We know the price points and we also know what the food is supposed to taste like. 

We are open at 11:30 am every day except on Songkran holidays. We are considering adjustments if business dictates such a change. The willingness to make changes, admit any shortcomings and listen to all comments should answer many questions. 

I believe having a business open since 2001 and another in Bangkok since 1985 which we are no longer a part of speaks volumes of having the right attitude. We have shown our staff nothing but respect. And not you do not know the entire story. Do you think the newspaper got it right? Far from it. 

Please read this for those who might not have seen it - 

I hope this answers things up to this point in time and there will certainly be more concrete changes in the very near future. I believe what happened to my friend the other night speaks volumes although many important details cannot be revealed here. 

Whilst my review was seen by some as being to blunt, it was a reasonably accurate description of our experience. To have gone into full detail would have been extremely harsh without any real benefit.

I understand the the demands and difficulties of a foreigner running any sort of business in Thailand let alone taking over one that was far from successful in the circumstances you had to. From your detailed response it is obvious that you are now aware of the pitfalls awaiting us all if we lift people expectations to far to soon.

I wish you all the best in your attempt to now raise TR to where it should be, if your food and service can be raised to match your margarita's  I will most certainly return to offer a customers support.

TR you should contact Ramsay kitchen knightmares, that would be the best episode ever! ;) 

Oh, and I'll also pop in next weekend, looking forward to trying your food Amigo! As long as theres no ash, or spitting or nasty stuff going on front of house and especially out back.. ;) see you soon :)

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Whilst my review was seen by some as being to blunt, it was a reasonably accurate description of our experience. To have gone into full detail would have been extremely harsh without any real benefit.

I understand the the demands and difficulties of a foreigner running any sort of business in Thailand let alone taking over one that was far from successful in the circumstances you had to. From your detailed response it is obvious that you are now aware of the pitfalls awaiting us all if we lift people expectations to far to soon.

I wish you all the best in your attempt to now raise TR to where it should be, if your food and service can be raised to match your margarita's  I will most certainly return to offer a customers support.

The food business can be most difficult as the details are endless. I never take exception or get angry at honest reports which I believe yours to be bro. You honestly don't need to elaborate as I know the problems that need to be fixed and what it takes to make a successful restaurant. Tequila Reef Pattaya was neglected for far too long and I tried many years ago to turn everything around but was told to stay out of it. At that point in time, it wasn't my business and I was just following orders. I have other businesses to fall back on, always will always have. The truth of the matter is I have a passion for restaurants as it gratifies me immensely to watch others enjoy a good meal which I had something to do with. I have always been very well versed in the kitchen since I was 6 years old and was taught by both my grandmother's and my mom. That being said, restaurant cooking is a completely different ball game as you must please a wider audience to have success. This is why honest feedback is very valuable and always appreciated regardless of its nature. 

I would not have given detailed responses if I didn't honestly care about my business and its potential. Most of all, I care about my customers just as much as my employees. Thanks for wishing me well and you shall not be disappointed, that I can promise you. Then we can sit down and I'll tell you the whole story as you and I have met more than a few times. 

7 hours ago, thisisdre said:

TR you should contact Ramsay kitchen knightmares, that would be the best episode ever! ;) 

Oh, and I'll also pop in next weekend, looking forward to trying your food Amigo! As long as theres no ash, or spitting or nasty stuff going on front of house and especially out back.. ;) see you soon :)

Gordon would go off for sure :)

Please ask for me, Chris during your visit or send me a PM and I'll be sure to be there. If you don't see me in the restaurant downstairs I'm in the office upstairs. I'll be spending a lot more time holding down the fort and taking an active role in everything including public relations. 

Also, just mention Pattaya Addicts and you receive a 10% discount but I would recommend getting the discount card to support this board. There are a great many guys who have worked behind the scenes for a long time that make everything happen for nothing. A truly thankless effort but nonetheless, a reality I believe should be mentioned. 

In closing, thanks to everyone for taking the time to post in this topic, giving constructive criticism and wishing me well. I'm not looking for sympathy gents, just your honesty and I believe I can count on that. Cheers!

• Like 2

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

9 hours ago, Highlander said:

No problem mate, I understand that when you create a thread and have to reply to numerous posts, it is difficult to keep your eye on the ball.

In a later post in this thread I explained I have never had a problem there and will return on my next trip, which is still the case.

Good luck on your investment.

Thanks mate, I 'm investing my time and money in something I believe in it's as simple as that. Plus I'm no longer able to re-acclimate back into Western society as I have been in Asia way too long.  I'm sure those of you who have been here as long as I can relate. 

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

15 minutes ago, tequilareef said:

Thanks mate, I 'm investing my time and money in something I believe in it's as simple as that. Plus I'm no longer able to re-acclimate back into Western society as I have been in Asia way too long.  I'm sure those of you who have been here as long as I can relate. 

Good work mate, I wish you all the best,  I understand the non re acclimate factor, I will never date a farang woman again.

• Haha 1

Hi TR I have dined at the Pattaya location for years.

Just letting you know for the last 2 years I've visited this Mexican restaurant no hot sauce has been available. In the past Chula or Tapatio was an option. Each time I ask for it the waitress tells me...no more.

Sure would be nice if you stocked a hot sauce again because I do like to have an option to make it "Mexican spicy"

OK, so it's a work in progress.

Good luck.

I'm still waiting for information on specific Mexican dishes that have been significantly improved from the status quo and to hear how they've been improved.

Then I might give the place another chance. 

While, I am not overly interested in the theatrics of running a restaurant in Thailand and specific paperwork and Government requirements,

Can anyone state if the food has improved , that's all I am really interested in, the fare offered in this establishment in the last few years has been somewhat of a disappointment.

3 hours ago, tropicaloz said:

Can anyone state if the food has improved , that's all I am really interested in, the fare offered in this establishment in the last few years has been somewhat of a disappointment.

I'd be interested to hear that myself, fully realizing that you can't fix the problems Tequila Reef has overnight. 

When the real passion for food preparation is gone from the kitchen, there goes the ball game. The passion left Tequila Reef's kitchen around 2007 if memory serves me correctly. You have to turn out every dish like you were making it for the new girl you're trying to impress. 

You can certainly teach Thais passion for cooking Tex-Mex -- just visit Sue's Place on 13/4 to see -- but I'm not sure how easy it is. You'd first need to find a Thai chef with character. And I don't mean the faux character most Thais pretend they have, but the real Desire to impress people with his skills.

Edited by Pattaya_Brian

21 minutes ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

I'd be interested to hear that myself, fully realizing that you can't fix the problems Tequila Reef has overnight. 

When the real passion for food preparation is gone from the kitchen, there goes the ball game. The passion left Tequila Reef's kitchen around 2007 if memory serves me correctly. You have to turn out every dish like you were making it for the new girl you're trying to impress. 

You can certainly teach Thais passion for cooking Tex-Mex -- just visit Sue's Place on 13/4 to see -- but I'm not sure how easy it is. You'd first need to find a Thai chef with character. And I don't mean the faux character most Thais pretend they have, but the real desire to impress people with his skills.

you cannot change the food in teh kitchen without changing the crew....full stop

4 hours ago, tropicaloz said:

While, I am not overly interested in the theatrics of running a restaurant in Thailand and specific paperwork and Government requirements,

Somewhat of  a disappointment? You are way too polite. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Somewhat of  a disappointment? You are way too polite. 

It was not what I first typed, but, upon consideration it was early and didnt want to start the day with some aggro, so I spun it with the softer language, lol

• Like 3

Tequila Reef Pattaya has been around since April of 2000 and it's original founder and owner my father passed away April 20, 2017 after succumbing to a six-month bout with liver cancer. I have taken over full ownership of the Reef in Pattaya and have personally undergone some much needed dramatic changes to our core menu items. I could not have done this without the help of a 30-year Texan friend of mine who ironically owned his own Mexican restaurant in Chiang Mai known as the Mexican Grill. 
We are constantly working on every aspect of the business including adding some additional items which are coming very soon. That I shall leave a secret for now but rest assured we shall be giving it away in the beginning.  A new menu is also in the works along with promotional material. 
I am now confident enough to post about Tequila Reef Pattaya and I hope those of you who might have had bad experiences in the past give us another try. All your comments good bad or indifferent are welcome so we may better serve you, the valued customer.  We are constantly looking to improve everything making the best possible food for everyone to enjoy. I know that's an impossible task but nonetheless our goal. 
Here are a few photos with much more to come in the future. Remember all Pattaya Addicts members receive a 10% discount. Hope to see you around

20170525_174348.thumb.jpg.bc4458450d85eeb8845872709a81cb17.jpg
20170527_171459.thumb.jpg.5fa9d539b2a5e4696e23478536aaeabb.jpg
20170527_171433.thumb.jpg.11a4ade1b330f85cce9b816156c3d835.jpg
20170524_170710.thumb.jpg.a7e52b86ec3b04cca2f5b38ab223015a.jpg
Well to tell you true i love Tequila Reef in PI and ate there one time a day everday .. so when i heard there was a Tequila Reef Pattaya i was so happy i have tried going back 3 times hopping the food would be better but sad to say it wasn't so last time in January i said im never going back ..
But now you say the food will be good I'll give a go .....

Sorry to heard about you dad

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Coming quite soon, we shall have what has always been called through the years "committee feeds" which is purely for adding menu items, making the food better and taste testing. These events entail all food on the house with set dishes, we would ask you buy a drink, soft or whatnot. Even that is not required just asked. We'll do the rest. 

We had a new item and option which might be in jeopardy if the key ingredient can no longer be obtained on a regular basis. That was queso cheese for nachos, jalapenos poppers and optional with some core Mexican items. Unfortunately, the main supplier of this ingredient stopped importing it.  From an initial rather intensive search and sourcing exercise, it appears this might be one of those items where "no have" shall be the norm. I just wanted to mention this as we shall be doing a special on a few queso cheese items while supplies last. Also, special menu items will be added for limited times to add more variety.

On a happier note, we have an excellent source in Chiang Mai for avocados so we shall be having a steady supply of guac which has always been a struggle. At this point in time, we are reluctantly buying from Friendship. We are trying to keep the costs down as many times you can find avocados that are both overpriced and the quality is not consistent some cases not acceptable. Hopefully in future Mos avocados imported from Australia will be more affordable to ensure a good steady supply. This is supposed to happen but we all know how the best-laid plans in Thailand end up being a pipe dream. 

Another no-brainer to be added shall be special party packs to fit your budget and event size. 

If anybody knows of a possible RELIABLE supplier for queso cheese, please PM me so I can make inquiries. We've called previous main suppliers already and the demand may not have been there to make it feasible to import any longer at the price we needed to be. 

At the end of the day, our goal is to have Tequila Reef back on the top of your list when it comes to Mexican food in Pattaya. With that said, no matter what we do we'll still get crucified by some of you no matter what we do. Nonetheless, this board shall be used for both feedback and promotion. Yes yes, there are other things that truly need to eradicated but only time shall ultimately dictate that. I can tell you it will be sooner than later. Everything written here has been planned for literally years.

Again thanks for your input gentleman and the positive energy offered by you well-wishers makes all the difference in the World. Please keep the input coming no matter what it might be. 

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

TR, If i may make a suggestion, why don't you revise your menu. Scale it right down to items that you know you can get a regular supply of. This way you don't have to tell people "No Have". Then as time goes by, and you find new and reliable suppliers, you can add new things to your menu, IMHO, far better then the " No Have" option. Another thing I was thinking, if you still have the TR in the phillipines, which seems to get a lot of good reviews on here, then why not bring one of the chefs over to Thailand, and get him to train your new chef. This is just my idea, but what I would do if i was in your position. cheers and best of luck as you move forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hellyes2oo2 said:

TR, If i may make a suggestion, why don't you revise your menu. Scale it right down to items that you know you can get a regular supply of. This way you don't have to tell people "No Have". Then as time goes by, and you find new and reliable suppliers, you can add new things to your menu, IMHO, far better then the " No Have" option. Another thing I was thinking, if you still have the TR in the phillipines, which seems to get a lot of good reviews on here, then why not bring one of the chefs over to Thailand, and get him to train your new chef. This is just my idea, but what I would do if i was in your position. cheers and best of luck as you move forward.

I have to agree regards the menu, nothing is as frustrating as sitting reviewing a menu and when it comes to ordering hearing those words, "No have today sir".  A regular menu based around known suppliers, with the addition of daily/weekly special additions would add variety for regular diners and give substance to your marketing. My lass like many Thais is limited in her taste for foreign food., however her first request for such will be either Italian or Mexican, she is already a fan of your margaritas  so you are 50% there :D        

I'd like to see an improvement in the veggie burrito as mentioned previously on this thread.

My idea of a veggie burrito is beans (not fried in lard if possible), rice, potatoes, peppers and onions, and no cheese. And none of that hot/spicy sauce.

It's not really that hard to make decent Mexican food, it's more about the ingredients.

Also I wouldn't mind the option of paying a higher price for unlimited chips and salsa.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 2 weeks later...

Popped in early last night for a feed. Had a brief chat with Chris while I was at it.

I'm no foodie so can't really critique a meal like some are able.

I had the Combo plate consisting of Chicken Enchilada and Beef taco, served with rice and refried beans.

Service was good and I was more than happy with my meal, my Thai lady friend enjoyed her's as well.

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

3 hours ago, starfucks said:

Read this: Thai chef attacks Tequila Reef restaurant owner in Pattaya Soi 7.

Why would we need to read this again? This has been discussed on this topic already at post 119 and more importantly has been addressed by Tequillareef at post 124... 

• Like 2

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

I cooked Mexican dinner tonight.

My pinto black bean Nachos with ground beef as many of you yanks may say.

Anyway, when, I can serve up food better than what I'm paying for, I get disappointed. I visited your place TR in 2012 and haven't been back.

I wonder what you USA guys think of my version? :-) Everything was fresh but the beans. I was having a bean craving. I loved the canned pickled versions. 

I've never been state side (USA) or to mexico, but I watch all those cooking shows with real mexicans or that sexy spanish chick and I love Tequila. ha.  I love that shit. And they taught me how to make guacamole real....Lucky for us our Avos' here in Australia are only $3.50 each today (90 baht) Somedays we can get them for 2 bucks each (50 baht)

They say avocado is most photographed food on instagram and Australia can't produce enough. We are now ramping up to compete with Sth America.

Best of luck with your turn around. I love mex food no matter what twist you put on it. So long as it's fresh or prepared fresh.

Aussie Mexican_2.jpg

Aussie Mexican_1.jpg

Aussie Mexican_3.jpg

Aussie Mexican_4.jpg

Aussie Mexican_5.jpg

ummm