Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Formula 1

Kim Jong Il

22 minutes ago, PepeLePew said:

Grosjean floored it to stop it from stalling, it's muscle memory kicking in though in that instance hitting the clutch would have been a better option. He claims he thought he had the momentum to get to the other side of the track and away from the other cars but I call bullshit. Anyway the stewards have dropped him 3 spots for Monaco for 'making the wrong decision

I see there are usually about 18 cars in a race. Barcelona looked like several didn't even qualify but were allowed to start at the end spots. So lets say Grosjean qualifies last at 14th places and four others are allowed to start even though not qualifying. Does Grosjean drop 3 places still, even behind those not able to qualify at all?  He cost his team a lot with that spin out in Barcelona.

9 hours ago, OKAY said:

I see there are usually about 18 cars in a race. Barcelona looked like several didn't even qualify but were allowed to start at the end spots. So lets say Grosjean qualifies last at 14th places and four others are allowed to start even though not qualifying. Does Grosjean drop 3 places still, even behind those not able to qualify at all?  He cost his team a lot with that spin out in Barcelona.

He cost Renault and Toro Rosso a lot too!

There are 20 cars in F1 and as long as they turn up they can start the race (subject to the 101% rule if that is still in force?), they all qualify regardless, no 'pre qualifying'. Grosjeans penalty means he will start from 3 spots behind whichever position he qualifies in, regardless of what other teams/cars may do, so if he qualifies 10th he'll start from 13th, if 15th he'll start 18th. If he qualifies 18th or lower he'll just start at the back. What the others do doesn't matter, unless someone else (Vandorn for argument) gets a penalty and qualifies in 11th, then it gets a bit complicated but they have a system that you got your penalty first so you serve it first I think. In that case Grosjean would drop behind VD to 13th, then VD would take his drop promoting GJ to 12th in the process.

When I started watching F1 pre qualifying happened every race. 26 cars were allowed to start and often 30+ would turn up to try to race. The fastest 26 would make the grid. It shows the relative health of F1 in that the amount of cash floating about has risen dramatically yet the amount of teams has fallen below maximum (although they reduced maximum to 22 or 24 at some point). Damon Hill got his first race drive in F1 in 92 by replacing F1's last female competitor who had failed to qualify her Brabham (they sacked her because her $ failed to turn up rather than due to her poor driving performance though, twas ever thus!). He managed to get into a couple of races but the team collapsed mid season. I think 94 was the last time there were more cars trying to get on the grid than spaces.

I'd love to see those days return, though to be fair it's probably a bit of a rose tinted memory. Often the winner back then was best part of a mile up the track and the tail enders had been lapped 6+ times. We are really very lucky in terms of present day racing, however modern expectations and low attention spans means there are more complaints of boring races. For me the most boring thing about modern F1 is the reliability. hamilton got into the lead and it was over with. Back in the day the chances of him breaking down were massive and would have had fans on the edge of their seat for the rest of the race.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I look forward to next year when Grosjean will be in NASCAR battling Ricky Bobby.

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I've only followed F1 because Haas is racing. I hope they get a better driver than Grosjean. He seems to be too intense on the first few laps. Yes, I feel sorry for those Grosjen knocked out.

Edited by OKAY
spelling

16 hours ago, OKAY said:

I've only followed F1 because Haas is racing. I hope they get a better driver than Grosjean. He seems to be too intense on the first few laps. Yes, I feel sorry for those Grosjen knocked out.

Grosjean is actually quite a decent pedaller.... when the car is nicely balanced. He had a shakey start to his career, crashing a lot and earning a race ban at one point but once he got 4 wheels under him at Lotus he was very useful. Ever since he started at Haas he had issues with the brakes but he still managed to outclass Magnussen. This year though K Mag who, whilst a level below as a driver, can drive around car issues, has managed to make Grosjean look average. It could be the new aero package does not gell with his style. They'll attract better drivers if they produce a good car, which they have to a degree, just needs to be proven with some more results. Of course better drivers means paying more. What they really need to do is find a young unknown US superstar driver and bring him successfully into F1. That or put Danica Patrick in the car :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Not really a fan of F1, but there is one race which I really enjoy....the upcoming Monaco Grand Prix. Nothing better than seeing the cars hurtling around real streets - as opposed to the usual track. I was privileged to get a corporate freebie to the event many years ago and I have been hooked ever since.

When I lived in the UK I used to host a Charity lunch on the afternoon of the Monaco Grand Prix....got a fair bit of interest and sponsorship for the event - we always sold all our tickets. We used to get the place all liveried up to give the event an F1 feel. Happy days. 

Looking forward to watching this years event.

Image result for monaco grand prix 2018

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

Yep Monaco is the jewel in the crown of F1. So much so that I heard they told Liberty they didn't care what the new policy was, it's Monaco and they will be having grid girls :)

Of course some will always say that it's a boring race, that there is little to no overtaking. True it's very difficult to pass there and if you are into F1 for the 'entertainment' only then fair enough. If you understand the sport, watching them driving at that speed through those narrow streets for 70 laps is entertainment enough. If there's an overtake or 2 then wow! The camera's don't really convey the sheer ridiculousness of it. It's something i hope the new owners will address with new technologies soon. They could take some pointers from MotoGP.

• Like 1

RULES

1NQq.gif

Monaco it is this weekend.

Red Bulls quick all through Friday practise and so it was today until Max hit the barrier. No quali for him and he will start plumb last with a gearbox change to boot.

Ricciardo blitzed his way to pole with a new lap record and no one else was really near him. Vettel pipped Hamilton for second.

Don't expect much overtaking here. The race is already half over after quali. The other half of the race will be strategy re pit stops.

May well be a few safety cars to throw into the equation but with lack of overtaking opportunities I suspect this will not be a very entertaining race.

Will be interesting to see how far Max in the fast Red Bull will be able to go up in the ranking at this mickey mouse 'circuit' ... 

35 minutes ago, jerry said:

Will be interesting to see how far Max in the fast Red Bull will be able to go up in the ranking at this mickey mouse 'circuit' ... 

Most likely not much if he even survives the first few rounds. 

Edit: Only with some miracle tactics or a lucky safety car 

Edited by eXplosief

So it finishes

Ricciardo

Vettel

Hamilton

Good drive by Ricciardo with an under performing car.

Decent drive by Max.....he made progress and finished. He must be thinking what could have been.

Hamilton's lead reduced by 3 points so decent result for Mercedes.

Not overly much excitement but we didn't really expect anything else here. Seemed that slow and steady (relatively) made the pace.

The ultimate bore i'm afraid .

Watched the dash to the first corner and a few laps , then went out to work .     Skipped the last 70 formation laps .

Mikeyboy

I understand why part-time F1 fans find such races boring, but for true fans there's always much more going on than meets the eye. Including all the practice, qualifying and race build-up with associated banter, pit gossip and chat.  Much like my Dad thoroughly enjoys cricket, but I find that boring. Each to their own. However, I don't go onto cricket forums and complain.

I really enjoyed the F1 weekend and a good result. Would have been better if Lewis had passed Vettel, but can't have everything.

• Like 2

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

1 hour ago, roger buttmore said:

I understand why part-time F1 fans find such races boring, but for true fans there's always much more going on than meets the eye. Including all the practice, qualifying and race build-up with associated banter, pit gossip and chat.  Much like my Dad thoroughly enjoys cricket, but I find that boring. Each to their own. However, I don't go onto cricket forums and complain.

I really enjoyed the F1 weekend and a good result. Would have been better if Lewis had passed Vettel, but can't have everything.

Understand what you are saying , re. lots going on  qualifying / race build up and  i try to watch all of the Formula 1 build up and races  but Monaco  is a showpiece and no more .

We have had some excellent racing so far this season , Baku a month ago was  tremendous  , i'm not complaining about F1 , just the non event that is Monaco .       Roll on Canada in 2 weeks

Mikeyboy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger buttmore said:

Much like my Dad thoroughly enjoys cricket, but I find that boring. Each to their own. However, I don't go onto cricket forums and complain.

Just to present a counter argument, two quotes from two of the greatest drivers ever in Formula One:

Lewis Hamilton: " "We were just cruising around from lap six, literally cruising. So it wasn't really racing." 

A fan who was listening in shouted: "Most boring race ever." Hamilton responded: "Thank God you said it. I thought I was the only one. Wow, it was intensely boring. Oh my God, yes.

Fenando Alonso: " Extremely boring. This is probably the most boring race ever."

I gave up watching after Lap 5. There is something seriously wrong if the qualifying session is vastly more interesting than the race itself. This is now a regular pattern in Formula One races  and I'm not interested in just watching a procession every fortnight, things need to change rapidly.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

The "nice guy" won, and Hamilton didn't. What could be better than that. 

Well although I'm a big Monaco fan I really think that was the least interesting Monaco I've ever watched. It's not really a surprise though. The cars have been made wider for aero effect and at those speeds they stick like glue. Whereas the occasional overtake has been possible in previous years as the car develop they get less and less suited to the track every time.

They did look fast though. When I started watching P1 it took me a few minutes to get my head around it, I thought the footage was being sped up! And the in car shots were incredible. Shame half the screen was taken up by the bloody halo.

Oh and I have to mention and thank the Monaco GP & Tag Heur for the abundance of grid girls (and boys if that's your thing). :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Canada this weekend.

Verstappen was quickest in the practice sessions....

Qualifying ends with

Vettel 

Bottas

Verstappen

Lap record tumbled lap by lap and in the end it was Vettel who got the job done.

Good drive by Bottas to take second but arguably the best lap cam from Verstappen to take third. 

Lewis was never quite in it but tomorrow is another day.

Could well be a good race tomorrow...plenty of overtaking possibilities and 3 DRS zones.

So, it finished just as it started for the top 3.

Was expecting a good race with some overtaking but it quickly turned into a bore fest....was there more overtaking in Monaco than Canada?

A crash on the first lap saw Hartley and Lance Stroll go out. The only other highlight was some model friend of Hamilton's waving the chequered flag a lap too early!

Hmmm.

She was waving it at Lewis. Otherwise, a race boring a shit regardless of how excited the announcers get over nothing. Isle of Mann was this past week, great racing. 

• Like 1

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Well who'd have thought making the cars faster, wider and more aerodynamically reliant would have made it harder to overtake?

Canada has never been full of passes but that really did look like a Monaco race played in fast forward!

• Like 2

RULES

1NQq.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend it's France...for the first time in 10 years, and Paul Ricard for the first time in 28 years!

Not an entirely new circuit for the teams as they do test here.

Qualifying finished with Hamilton on the top from Bottas then Vettel.

Hopefully it will be a better race tomorrow with more overtaking than Canada. Some good long straights here so maybe overtaking will be possible.

Good drive from LeClerc who puts the Sauber in 8th. This team has really improved from the last few seasons. Will this guy be in the Ferrari next year?

Edited by Kim Jong Il

It finishes Hamilton, Verstappen, Raikonen.

Overall a good weekend for Lewis....pretty much fastest all through the three days.

Carnage on the first lap. Vettel hits Bottas and both end up in the pits and rejoin at the back. Max made up a few places as he cuts across the run off areas.

Ocon is taken out by Gasly and both of them retire.

For Alonso a day to forget...will he be here next year, I think not somehow.

Overall not a bad race to watch considering it was supposed be a difficult circuit to overtake on.

Raikonen sets a new record for the most podium finishes without a win.

Hamilton sets a new record for most consecutive points finishes.

Hamilton back into the championship lead.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:54, Kim Jong Il said:

Hamilton back into the championship lead.

And the season is basically a formality from here.  Mercedes seem to have improved their engine enough to separate from the pack.  Botas won’t challenge.  Boring again till the end.

at least there is F2....

and hopefully Alonso in Indy cars next year...

Edited by cbmgolfer

I used to follow F1 in the 90's but only started watching again at the end of last season.

In the 90's cars went flat out for the entire race. Now, it seems more about tyre management and as the cars are so much wider, very limited passing.

I'm even starting to think that after qualifying, 70% of the race excitement is over?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

• Like 1