IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On 1/27/2018 at 00:03, vimto66 said:

Just a question about the lamb dinner evil, did i you get mint sauce with that, i would imagine it would be available if you requested it, gotta have mint sauce with my lamb!

Yes, Mint sauce was available from a squeeze bottle. I believe the sauce was homemade, but it wasn't very good. Too vinegary and watery, not enough Mint taste.

Honestly, if Mint sauce is important for you when eating lamb,  I'd advise you to bring a small bottle with you.  Mint sauce is hit or miss in Pattaya.

Evil

mint.JPG.58b0462e969dca1eaf7436e8e7770454.JPG

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

25 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Yes, mint sauce was available from a squeeze bottle. I believe the sauce was homemade, but it wasn't very good. Too vinegary and watery, not enough mint taste.

Honestly, if mint sauce is important for you when eating lamb,  I'd advise you to bring a small bottle with you.  Mint sauce is hit or miss in Pattaya.

Evil

mint.JPG.58b0462e969dca1eaf7436e8e7770454.JPG

You`re right abut the Mint sauce being hit or miss, many a time i`ve had it with my lamb and at best its just a watery substance with specks of green in it!:unsure:

Also like it on pork pie and mushy peas too!

downloadpp.jpg.60ff019c29d94c3dccd0d79c1dd3c9c5.jpg

These guys are great. The girl cook is awesome. The food is great and cheap.

I would highly recommend all PA members support this establishment. 
Where is it ??

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2017 at 21:37, Evil Penevil said:

As you face the Night Market on Soi Bukhao, Taco Taco is in the front row of stalls, second from the left.

Capturedssss.JPG.aa4847dbb6ff7e7d6afcdc479fa4e9a1.JPG

On 8/11/2017 at 08:48, weblo said:

I have bought imported Canadian maple syrup in Thailand. It's very pricy.

that little container is worth more than the breakfast!

Nothing tastes better than Maple Syrup on pancakes or waffles. I’ve been buying it at different markets and the price is around 400 baht for 250 ml. The best price I’ve found is 650 baht for a large 500ml metal container of it. That’s at the Villa Market on 2nd Rd.

I made pancakes for my girlfriend from Issan. She insisted on honey. But after one taste of the maple syrup, that’s all she will use :Booboo: on her pancakes. Pity. The honey’s a lot cheaper

Edited by forteune

On 8/11/2017 at 09:02, Luv2Phuket said:

A combined follow-up/reply re the Casa Pascal and Secrets pancakes post -- 

Because I have Gold status with Hilton (not that hard -- it comes with 2 credit cards that I have!), I get free breakfast when I stay at the Hilton.  Their breakfast buffet is pretty good, but can get a bit boring day after day.  The Western choices rarely if ever change (but the Asian options do seem to change daily).

That said, their pancakes and waffles are both pretty damn good!  A guy at the station makes them fresh on the griddle and waffle iron that are right there.

Don't think I would drop what they charge JUST to get pancakes (or waffles), but it's GREAT when it's free! 555

I hit up Casa Pascal regularly. For the money, considering they make the eggs and breakfast meats to order, and the pancakes/waffles, it’s worth it to me. One tip, order the eggs outside before you walk in, and as soon as they seat you make sure you order the pancakes or waffles right away. They will take about 10 minutes or so. 

The next time I go, I’m taking my own maple syrup though. I’m addicted. And the breakfast syrup or honey just doesn’t do the trick. 

Another thing. The coffee/expresso machine is just ok. And avoid the juices. They’re so watered down that there’s little taste to them. 

On 7/31/2017 at 21:16, Evil Penevil said:

0a.jpg

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya. 

1bbt.jpg

It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.

1bbbt.jpg

1bb.jpg

Eggs and breakfast meats are cooked to order at an outdoor grill and fry station.

IMG_6201a.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

The choices include steaky and back bacon; marinated chicken; ham; sausage and marinated pork.

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Inside, there's an outstanding selection of freshly baked breads ...

8b.jpg

along with cold cuts; a small salad bar fruits; pickled and smoked herring; cheese;

IMG_6208.jpg

Asian and Western hot dishes (soups, pasta, stir-fry, potatoes); 

5.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

6.jpg

cereals; yogurt; fruits; desserts; and the customary condiments.

9.jpg

12.jpg

It includes as much coffee, tea, juice and soft drinks as you can knock back, all for the reasonable price of 240 baht.

1cc.jpg

It's actually a combined breakfast and lunch buffet. The friendly staff keeps the chafing dishes well filled between 8.00 a.m. and 2 p.m., which are convenient hours for those who wake up when their cocks grow, not when the cock crows. There's also free WiFi with a strong signal, although it is a bit of a hassle to log in.

1dda.jpg

You can find bigger breakfast buffets in central Pattaya, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better one under 250 baht. That said, we have to keep things realistic. Should you want a full English fry up, you're better off heading to Retox, IRovers or another English pub/restaurant as some of the components of a full English are missing from Casa Pascal's buffet.  But if you can accept a breakast without black pudding, tinned tomatoes and fried mushrooms, CP is a great choice. 

11a.jpg

The absolutely best breakfast buffets in Pattaya, in terms of variety and quality, are in the big hotels like the Hilton, Sheraton, Royal Cliff and Dusit. However, they cost three to five times as much as Casa Pascal, which can't be beat regarding value for money.
  • IMG_6198.jpg
  •  
  • IMG_6197.jpg
  •  
  • 3.jpg
  •  
  • 2.jpg

Thanks http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/profile/942-evil-penevil/.  That’s a great post. I really appreciate all these reviews. Thai food is great, but I need to mix it up. And there’s so many different cuisines available here. It would be a shame to limit myself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2017 at 08:29, Evil Penevil said:

post-9139-0-02959500-1483490786.jpg 

Tuesday night I tried the daily special- Chicken Breast Chasseur (aka Hunter's Chicken) at the Robin's Nest on Soi Diana. It was tasty and substantial, a bargain at 199 baht.  They also had a special on pints of Heineken at 99 baht, but I stuck with SML.  However, a main dish and a pint of draft beer for 298 baht is one of the better value-for-money meals I've seen in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-35338300-1483490790.jpg 

I got two generous pieces of nicely grilled chicken breast smothered in a sauce of tomato, mushrooms and onions, with sauteed potatoes on the side.  In the classic French version of Chicken Chasseur, the sauce features white wine and tarragon.  I didn't notice much of a taste of tarragon in the Robin's Nest's dish, but it was still good.

post-9139-0-68889900-1483490794.jpg 

post-9139-0-64202000-1483490804.jpg 

The sauteed potatoes were good.  They had a touch of natural sweetness that comes when the potatoes begin to caramelize in the hot oil. It gives a nice balance to the acidity of the chasseur sauce.

post-9139-0-23307400-1483490800.jpg 

I think I already posted the list of daily specials at the Robin's Nest, but here it is again.

post-9139-0-00753100-1483490807.jpg 

The Robin's Nest is also noted for its all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery for 299 baht.  A friend and I tried it a few months ago. 

post-9139-0-60448600-1483490811.jpg 

post-9139-0-38227800-1483490818.jpg 

It was OK, but I've had better at a similar price.  The meat was very thinly sliced and swimming in liquid; the Yorkshire pudding was heavy and tough.  

post-9139-0-71413900-1483491150.jpg 

The cottage pie was good, as were the veggies, and the pea soup was excellent.  The price included ice cream with chocolate sauce, which is a nice touch.

post-9139-0-85598400-1483490824.jpg 

post-9139-0-64804900-1483490821.jpg 

post-9139-0-00819300-1483491122.jpg 

post-9139-0-25487100-1483491125.jpg 

post-9139-0-28918000-1483491130.jpg 

Bottom line:  I'll be back to try the Robin Nest's other daily specials, but I won't rush back for the carvery.

Evil
devil.gif

Thank you!!! I’ve had the Sunday Roast Special and wasn’t impressed. Of course, I got there later which is always a mistake at a buffet. And there wasn’t a lot left and the Yorkshire Pudding was tough. 

But I walk past there a lot and notice the Chicken Breast Chasseur special frequently. It looked good, but after my buffet experience, I was leery of it. Now, I’ll have to give it a try and report back. 

Since I’ve never said it before, I’d better now. Your reviews are very appreciated. I enjoy a wide range of meals and being spoiled for choice here, It’s nice to see the opinions of others. Especially since TripAdvisor is useless here. 

I couldn't find a real Canadian breakfast in Bangkok... tried an "English" one and left half of it after I read what some of the shit was, oil soaked toast and pig intestines or something gross.  That buffet is almost $10 CDN up there and the breakfast items seem a little short and/or not American/Canadian enough for me.

My local greasy spoon gives me:

3 eggs, 2 pork sausages, 2 slices of ham, 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, choice of 2 pancakes or toast for $8 CDN.  If you can eat it all, you are a legitimate heavyweight.  I tell them to hold the pancakes, can't eat it all.  Hash browns vary from place to place but the potatoes and especially the sausages in Thailand are way different.  Had some little hot dog type crappy ones in BKK.  You are a world away and you are better off eating Thai Food than finding a place that knows how to make good diced onion + potatoes + butter = hash browns.  Many places use Maple flavoured sausages here, but they're not my fave.

One egg cooking in a pan - hope we can ask for more.  That's not a breakfast unless there's at least 3 in that pan.

I had a Chicken Pad Thai for 80 B that was better than all the Thai versions of bacon & egg breakfast that I tried.

Edited by Gibsons1

7 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

I couldn't find a real Canadian breakfast in Bangkok... tried an "English" one and left half of it after I read what some of the shit was, oil soaked toast and pig intestines or something gross.  That buffet is almost $10 CDN up there and the breakfast items seem a little short and/or not American/Canadian enough for me.

The oil-soaked toast is fried bread (exactly what the name suggests) and the pigs intestines is black (blood) pudding (sausage) which can be very nice if you like that sort of thing. I like the pudding, which has a following in many other European countries, but I wont touch fried bread for health reasons.

Anyone who doesnt like either but who still wants a good value fried breakfast should try Retox on Soi Lengkee and ask for no fried bread and no black pudding. They will replace with more of the other items which you can specify to an extent. But dont try and get too complex: it's only 100B.

Not very American/Canadian though. For that I would go to Casa Pascal which does cater more to the international market (think German/Austrian/Swiss + North American + Thai). I doubt you will like the bacon much in either place.

Edited by KittenKong

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I doubt you will like the bacon much in either place.

I agree.  Bacon here (US and Canada) is usually cured and smoked, in little strips (pork belly).  I had the thick bacon in BKK in an English breakfast and it didn't taste like Canadian bacon (peameal or back bacon) like we prepare here.  I'm not a butcher so I don't know the differences on how each is prepared and on the cut, but the sliced bacon here is fattier and has a smokey flavour, cured in some sort of brine giving it a robust, salty, smokey flavour that is awesome. 

I'm not big on Canadian bacon but it's definitely leaner and tastes more like Ham than whatever it is that I had in BKK.

The only thing constant about the breakfast is the eggs, only so much you can do different other than give the chickens different feed.

Bacon_in_a_pan.jpg

Raw ^ and cooked beneath: (That's BACON like I know it).

Bacon_in_a_pan_(cooked).jpg

Edited by Gibsons1

For those of you who like big burgers  and especially Australian-style burgers with beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple,  Kilkenny's has added to its menu the Ozzie Works burger reviewed in post #475.  Kilkenny does a good job with farang comfort food and its daily specials are great value for money. From Kilkenny's FB page:

Capture.JPG.2d260557f86505f894a6af1a54f9

Evil

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

For those of you who like big burgers  and especially Australian-style burgers with beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple,  Kilkenny's has added to its menu the Ozzie Works burger reviewed in post #475.  Kilkenny does a good job with farang comfort food and its daily specials are great value for money. From Kilkenny's FB page:

Evil

Looks interesting .... Had a great bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg in Cambodia , but not sure I would appreciate the beetroot.

I love pineapple but not on a burger.... to each his own.....

BTW..... the crinkle cut fries/ chips  remind me of a school lunch program.

Image result for school lunch with  crinkle fries

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Sizzlers, on the top floor of Central festival mall. At royal Garden mall as well. You can have just their salad bar for 139 b. Add a bottle of water, and it's still under 180 b. 

Salad bar isn't that big, but has some quality items. It includes 3 soups, pasta and pasta sauce, and dessert items as well. 

8 hours ago, baddog666 said:

Looks interesting .... Had a great bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg in Cambodia , but not sure I would appreciate the beetroot.

I love pineapple but not on a burger.... to each his own.....

Fried egg on a burger is an old variation and not strictly Australian.  Back in 1891,  Otto Kuase,  a German chef in the city of Hamburg, offered  diners a  beef patty topped with a fried egg and served between two slices of bread.  White Castle, the first U.S. hamburger chain, says Kuase is the hamburger's "inventor," although five or six other people have also laid claim to that title.

Fried egg on top of a beef patty is an excellent combination.  But the egg yolk should be soft fried, not hard like fried eggs are so often done in Thailand.  I lifted the pics below from this article: Tasty Egg-Topped Burgers.

Capturesss.JPG.5c4e47b1b506b09b73a9dfe68e85e2f4.JPG

Capturezzz.JPG.8feb894b2dd4ce864be7e03482737632.JPG

I also don't feel pineapple belongs on top of a burger. As I said in an earlier post, I just pushed the  slice of grilled pineapple off the burger and had it as a dessert.

1 hour ago, CarolinaJames said:

I really liked Texas Chicken in Central Marina. A lot better than KFC.

Texas Chicken is the brand name that Church's Chicken uses outside North America.  Church's is noted for its extra-crispy chicken, which is clearly the preference in Thailand.  Church's is the third largest chicken chain in the U.S. behind KFC and Popeyes.

Evil

On 1/23/2018 at 14:32, harrycd said:

I'm a big fan of the thai fried rice at witherspoons, nice amount of runny egg throughout cant remember the price and I had it with a pint of Guinness. I will be repeating this combo when I'm back in town feb lol

This is a great thread btw, I feel like one of the mistakes I made on my first trip was paying "tourist prices" close to central. 

Just an update, I dropped by witherspoons to get a Guinness and fried rice as one of my first meals on my current trip.

They didn't have Guinness and the rice was average :(

As someone whose new years res was to only drink when out of the country, this was a massive let down :(

I'll be back in town next weekend so I'll have to venture out to some new places.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Pasta buffet at Laong's Bistro Jomtien 2nd road.

They do it every Wednesday from 5 to 9 pm for 295 baht. Expensive drinks not included.

I don't think it's something Italian people would be impressed by (there weren't any last night) but more of an international style Italian.

Stuff they have include salad, tomato bruschetta, shrimp stuffed ravioli in cream sauce, various pasta bases, Bolognese sauce, meatballs, spinach w/ cheese, and lasagna. 

I doubt I would go very often as I was told it doesn't vary much week to week but reasonable enough value. Everything tasted good but the pasta bases sitting around in steam tables not so much. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Hi

apologies if this has been mentioned before but regarding Brit style breakfasts, on my Dec 2017 trip

i tendered to go to the Devonshire on Soi Lengkee for their 139 baht plateful which I thought was good value, but just up the road

at the Haven they did an amazing quality breakfast for 100 baht including tea/coffee, very well presented as well and unless you really want a massive blow out, more than enough

Cheers Beet

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

are there any curries  and kebab buffets in pattaya?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.2.2018 at 08:52, Footymadstreams said:

Another great place and once again spotless inside

Where exactly is this place?