IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

Also best to have 20 000    baht cash or same in other currancy  with you as it "could " be asked to show when you have a good Non O even ..... (this also was never applied before .... but you never know .... now they are sifting on borders, and the rule is availble for them to use at you  )

Oh , and not forget not all borders have ATM , or officers who like to stand up from chair to accompany you to one if there is one 

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cambodian visa run will be interesting, I may fly out before my 60 days are up and fly back 2 days later and hopefully get a further 60 days at Swampy.

I am not sure what country would be best? 

It was possible in the past to go to Jomtien Immigration and get 30 days when your first 60 days expired and then return and get a further 7 days, after that you have to leave Thailand. That would be perfect for my purposes as my stay is for 97 days. But unsure if this game plan is still available.  

before you could extend each 60day tourist visa for a further 30days at jomtien immigration at a cost of 1900bht, not heard of any change to these extentions as yet.anybody know different ?

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

30 days with a further 7 days would work fine for me. But let me get the first 60 days first.

Thanks

before you could extend each 60day tourist visa for a further 30days at jomtien immigration at a cost of 1900bht, not heard of any change to these extentions as yet.anybody know different ?

From what I understand of the reports, after Aug 12, you would still be able to do the 30 day, 1900 baht extension at least one time, but it is possible you may not be able to do it again while in the country on the second entry. Also the second entry may only give you another 30 days, not the 60 days that has been the norm for a long time. Also, if you do an out and in on the same day, they will be tagging you for special attention on further entries. All this is irrespective of entering overland or by air.

The whole thing is still kind of unclear, and as always, up to the interpretation of the border officer you happen come face to face with on entry.

be good if thai immigration would make the rules clear.its ok tighting the rules to get rid of people abusing the system ,but theres a lot of long term tourists ie people who go there for the uk winter months.who havent a clue how the visas will work in the future.i for one work in the construction industry in the uk in summer and holiday in thailand when its short days here and shit weather.if this isnt made clear i can see many longterm tourists going to other countries to spend there hard earned cash.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

From what I understand of the reports, after Aug 12, you would still be able to do the 30 day, 1900 baht extension at least one time, but it is possible you may not be able to do it again while in the country on the second entry. Also the second entry may only give you another 30 days, not the 60 days that has been the norm for a long time. Also, if you do an out and in on the same day, they will be tagging you for special attention on further entries. All this is irrespective of entering overland or by air.

The whole thing is still kind of unclear, and as always, up to the interpretation of the border officer you happen come face to face with on entry.

I dont know about you but I havent read anything about 7 & 30 day extensions at Jomtien.

Logically they might look at an individuals visa dodging history I suppose?

I dont know about you but I havent read anything about 7 & 30 day extensions at Jomtien.

Logically they might look at an individuals visa dodging history I suppose?

I dunno where I read that about the extensions, too damn many threads to go back and look at. That is the trouble right now, tons of speculation and very little real information.

as far as "visa dodging" goes, is that really a fair characterization? The authorities set up the rules, and people were doing what they thought was completely legit*. Is it really fair to penalize them in the future for doing something that was accepted, standard practice when they did it? It does not seem so to me. But then again I don't know if they are going to go back and look at peoples visa, extension and exemption history, or if they are, how far back will they be looking? So much is so unclear right now. 

*Legit assuming, of course, that these people were not using the system to work illegally. IMO that is a separate issue, and I totally support the PTB in cracking down on those folks. Sadly I met at least one or two people who were doing that on almost every border run and trip to Laos for a new tourist visa back when I was first here and juggling tourist visas and visa exemptions myself.

be good if thai immigration would make the rules clear.its ok tighting the rules to get rid of people abusing the system ,but theres a lot of long term tourists ie people who go there for the uk winter months.who havent a clue how the visas will work in the future.i for one work in the construction industry in the uk in summer and holiday in thailand when its short days here and shit weather.if this isnt made clear i can see many longterm tourists going to other countries to spend there hard earned cash.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/out-in-visa-hoppers-now-being-barred-from-entry-to-thailand-47360.php

PHUKET: Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

PHUKET: Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, this afternoon confirmed to The Phuket News that the multiple “Out-In” visa hop is now officially dead.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/out-in-visa-hoppers-now-being-barred-from-entry-to-thailand-47360.php#sthash.sNeBxse9.dpuf

"Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules." “If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand. “We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.”

The impending clampdown has been a while coming, and has been applied in stages, with some Immigration posts ahead of others.

On May 13, the then-national head of Immigration, Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon explained to The Phuket News, “Lots of nationalities come to Thailand on tourist visas but they come to work. I really want them to do the right thing, not to try to dodge around the law and evade taxes.”

Immigration has also begun to apply blacklisting to people who overstay their permits to stay in Thailand.

visa run (1)-page-001.jpg

http://www.thephuketnews.com/out-in-visa-hoppers-now-being-barred-from-entry-to-thailand-47360.php

PHUKET: Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

PHUKET: Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, this afternoon confirmed to The Phuket News that the multiple “Out-In” visa hop is now officially dead.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/out-in-visa-hoppers-now-being-barred-from-entry-to-thailand-47360.php#sthash.sNeBxse9.dpuf

"Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules." “If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand. “We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.”

The impending clampdown has been a while coming, and has been applied in stages, with some Immigration posts ahead of others.

On May 13, the then-national head of Immigration, Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon explained to The Phuket News, “Lots of nationalities come to Thailand on tourist visas but they come to work. I really want them to do the right thing, not to try to dodge around the law and evade taxes.”

Immigration has also begun to apply blacklisting to people who overstay their permits to stay in Thailand.

Clear as mud. Real tourists are OK, but if we don't believe you are a tourist, you won't be allowed in. I don't see a belief based system as being terribly predictable. 

Furry, the best sense that I can make out of this cluster fuck is that no one on a tourist visa or visa exempt status is going to be allowed to stay in the Kingdom in excess of 90 days out of a 180 day period of time from the date you enter.

Stay 90 days, go somewhere else for 90 days, then you can re-enter.

Furry, the best sense that I can make out of this cluster fuck is that no one on a tourist visa or visa exempt status is going to be allowed to stay in the Kingdom in excess of 90 days out of a 180 day period of time from the date you enter.

That is not how I'm reading it, exactly. Not that it matters how I read it. What matters is how Officer Somchai at the border reads it. Makes me glad all those border runs are more than a year in my past, though the evidence of them is filling half the pages of my passport.

Guess we will see how this progresses.  If no changes the Ph and Cambo will be welcoming a lot of spenders.

Might be an idea to take luggage with you when doing an in out then. Could help sway the 'real tourist' decision? And if it doesn't at least you'll have a change of clothes :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I'm not sure of the return in 90 days statement. I just spoke with the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I asked directly if another 90 days stay would be based on calendar year or returning six months later. They stated 90 days is allowed every six months, you can't return for 6 months once 90 days are up.

What stop you to get a "correct visa" ?

Elite Card scheme is legit. The commercial part of first scheme had some "problems" but owners still continued to get the Visas they had pay for. The new scheme has the sale guarantee concerning the Visa/Immigration part.

I am under 50, no wife or children, do not work here and do not do business here and live off income from the UK so there is no proper visa for someone like me.

I am under 50, no wife or children, do not work here and do not do business here and live off income from the UK so there is no proper visa for someone like me.

There is still the ED visa. 

My guess is, and it's only a guess. After speaking to the the Thai consulate in LA and seeing other sources is. 6 months. They told me with a US passport you can stay 90 days every 6 months.

sounds like a good time to find a person to share condos/apts with in PP and Pattaya, each staying three months in one, then swapping...

I'm not sure of the return in 90 days statement. I just spoke with the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I asked directly if another 90 days stay would be based on calendar year or returning six months later. They stated 90 days is allowed every six months, you can't return for 6 months once 90 days are up.

Not to be pedantic, but if I stay for 90 days and then leave for 90 days, have I not just spent 90 days in country in the last 6 months, and should now be eligible for a new 180 day period?

Hell if I know, Thaidive, I'll say this, it's confusing as hell.  

I'm supposed to go to Phuket at the end of the month, and I think I might find a language school that offers Korean and get me an Ed visa.

Picture this lads, I'm sitting in Phuket Immigration extending my 90 day Non Imm ED Visa, and the Thai immigration officer asks me, "How would you say that the big fish eats the little fish in Thai?  I give him a smirk and quip "Hell if I know, I'm studying Korean..." 

Think the only ultimate clarification in interpreting the rules will be after Aug 12th when people start comming in. It seems that each land border crossing and airports seem to interpret the rules the way they think is correct. Lets wait and see. It is going to affect me in some way. Just waiting to see how. If the shit hits the fan I will take me and my money to Cambodia or elsewhere.

There is still the ED visa. 

And a Tourist visa or Elite card.

And a Tourist visa or Elite card.

Im already on a tourist visa (and well aware of all the other options) and thats what they are cracking down on and they will also will be looking closely at the Ed Visa in future.

I meant in my reply that there is no 'proper' visa for me personally = that is not in one way or the other abusing the purpose of that specific visa.

I meant in my reply that there is no 'proper' visa for me personally = that is not in one way or the other abusing the purpose of that specific visa.

Why doesn't the Elite Card work for you (assuming you have the cash to splash obviously)?

Why doesn't the Elite Card work for you (assuming you have the cash to splash obviously)?

Pay nearly £10,000 for a visa??? Well if it works for you, great!

Pay nearly £10,000 for a visa??? Well if it works for you, great!

It doesn't work for me as I'm not trying to live in a country other than my own, nor do I have half a million bhat to throw around. For those wishing to live in Thailand legally with as little hassle as possible, are under 50 and who have the cash to splash, I see it as a viable option.

Archived