IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

Yes I know, but does it say whether they were just turned away or were their Visa stamped as cancelled? 

No idea but by the sound of it they were send away without any stamp and told to take the bus to KL .

Edit - Re' the bit in red, as long as that works after Aug 12th of course.

TIT , there will always be a way , ED visa or whatever . If not i gonna spend 11 months a year in Cambodia

and 1 month in Thailand .

Visa 280U$ a year and no bullshit . These people are still happy with us coming over to spend a lot of money . 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are looking at ED visas very carefully now, it will have to be a fully registered and licenced school and visa holders may soon face tests set according to the length of time expired on their visa/study. I am receiving information about two people being refused entry at Suvarnabhumi last night one Farang (British) and his Chinese partner.  They were questioned regards their education visa's their language skills tested and then refused entry, their ED visa being stamped as cancelled.

I believe there will shortly be a change in the reporting regards ED visa's the documentation will include class attendance records and proficiency acquired. Some are already facing such when attending Soi 5 for their 90 day report although no notification has been given yet. The ED visa may well become a 90 day visa with extensions subject to learning results.

A friend has just been issued a Ed Visa (Single entry 90 day) and then this is Extended another 90 days and so on (Max 4 extensions) ....But is subject to 80% Attendance! No mention of language tests.....YET 

A friend has just been issued a Ed Visa (Single entry 90 day) and then this is Extended another 90 days and so on (Max 4 extensions) ....But is subject to 80% Attendance! No mention of language tests.....YET 

Further to the above the two people refused entry were on their third ED visa and spoke minimal Thai. As said there have been no notification of changes as of yet but I feel sure they are coming, your friends requirement of 80% attendance reflects this.

Getting very difficult to obtain a visa nowadays...Unless your Over 50 or Married ! Yes you still have the option to study Thai language at an official school (ED Visa).. 

Retirement visas are easy to obtain here (for now), but marriage visas are more difficult now in the paperwork required.  Personally, I think it is going to be more difficult in the years to come to live here.

"That is indeed the $64,000 question which could get unfortunate people snarled up in this crackdown. But I would suggest most tourists don't buy TVs, bikes, sign 12 month leases etc. when they are "touristing"

Not sure I agree with you. I have residency in the Philippines for five years now but previously spent many years in Thailand. I have a motorbike here, an apartment I rent permanently and pay rent on line, a thai DL, bank account etc all carried over from my previous life here but my GF and I holiday here now twice a year for about 2 months each time. By my definition. i am definitely a tourist.

Might have to Invest in a Thailand Elite card...http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

500k for a  5 Year Multi entry visa.

attachicon.gifThailand Elite program.PNG

The only issue with this is how tied in the program is with the proper authorities, beyond the TAT concerning visas.  Seems like the plan is purchased thru a series on agents and not directly from TAT.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/?p=8096024

This doesn't look good at all. Ok, it does say that all who were denied entry had history of border runs, but without quantifying exactly what is allowed now and what isn't people are going to be at risk of getting stranded when they travel to activate a second or third entry.

What if you leave the country for a few days? Does that count as a border run?

How long do you have to stay out for for it not to be a border run?

What if you leave the country for a few days? Does that count as a border run?

How long do you have to stay out for for it not to be a border run?

THAT's the $64000 question . My guess it will be at least 2 weeks but it might as well be a month (or more) .

The only issue with this is how tied in the program is with the proper authorities, beyond the TAT concerning visas.  Seems like the plan is purchased thru a series on agents and not directly from TAT.

Quote from the website...

Thailand Elite originates from a singular goal to present the finest that the country has to offer into one unique package for our honored guests.

Whereas, the Cabinet passed a resolution on 29 July 2003, approving the Thailand Privilege Card Project as proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, whereby the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was to implement the project in the form of limited company. "Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited" registered its incorporation under the Civil and Commercial Code on 29 August 2003, having the TAT as its sole shareholder and the registered capital of THB 1,000 million and having the status of state enterprise under the Budget Procedures Act B.E. 2502 (1959).  Its objectives are to generate revenues from foreign visitors; and draw high-end visitors, businessmen, investors and the long stay groups, by offering rights and services to members. Such services are from both public and private sectors, e.g. Visa Privilege, Special Entry Visa, and Privilege Entry Visa

As part of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, this exclusive club has access to privileges that money alone cannot buy. Thailand Elite is the world's first country membership programme with benefit for immigration, leisure, business, and much more.

They are looking at ED visas very carefully now, it will have to be a fully registered and licenced school and visa holders may soon face tests set according to the length of time expired on their visa/study. I am receiving information about two people being refused entry at Suvarnabhumi last night one Farang (British) and his Chinese partner.  They were questioned regards their education visa's their language skills tested and then refused entry, their ED visa being stamped as cancelled.

I believe there will shortly be a change in the reporting regards ED visa's the documentation will include class attendance records and proficiency acquired. Some are already facing such when attending Soi 5 for their 90 day report although no notification has been given yet. The ED visa may well become a 90 day visa with extensions subject to learning results.

Yes, more hours attending classes....(so limiting chances for working illegaly...,) and also kind of proof from where money is coming from ....i read .

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Dear thai people,,

We all want farang money but we don't want them LT.

This is what we will do.We will pass laws that say farang tourists can only get a 30 day Visa and then must enter and leave thailand On a Plane and must not return for at least 2 weeks after leaving thailand.

That will be too expensive for Lo-So (Cheap Charlie) LT farang Ex Pats to do and they will go away.

All existing farang Long Stay Visas will be cancelled overnight and they will have to leave the Kingdom straight away. Help yourselves to their condo's,Businesses or any other items of value that they leave behind.

Fellow Thais,Don't hessitate. There is nothing they can do about it.

Signed,

Your benevolent leaders.

Well,What could ex-pats do about such a change in the law?

D'you think it would bother the thais what the world thinks?

For a reminder for those on o visas who are not targeted (yet) 

it is best when doiing a 89 day visa run to have with you enough money with you (normally not asked , but CAN be asked ..!

And take notice the requirement for Non O visa holders is NOT 10 000 baht (for tourist visa holders) , BUT 20 000 baht  (o visa holders ), both doubled in case for a family !

last 8 july run , no problem , but  1 guy only got 7 days , because 2 former 15 days stamp at same border before (Cambodia ), rule enforced  , max 2 landborder runs (depending visa )

ps:  got remark that i have the correct visa ......... never got that remark before , normally they not speak just stamp ...(. army training them ? :GoldenSmile1: )

Getting very difficult to obtain a visa nowadays...Unless your Over 50 or Married ! Yes you still have the option to study Thai language at an official school (ED Visa).. 

You don`t neccesarily need to study Thai or a language at all on an ED-visa.

You don`t neccesarily need to study Thai or a language at all on an ED-visa.

No other type of ED visa's are being issued at the moment unless you no different ?

If Thailand went from being the LOS to the LOSST (Land of Short Stay Tourists) then i guess there might well be a mass ex-pat bale out to Cambo unless all the SEA Alliance countries instituted the same Short Stay Tourist law.

For long stay Ex-Pats,Would it be a case of 'Paradise Lost'?

The BG's dream of hooking up with a farang in a LT relationship based in Thailand might mean a big change in their game plan.

We know that a Triple Entry Tourist Visa, with Extensions and Border Runs, can be stretched to about 270 days.

What is it actually meant for though?

First I've heard of this being done at the airport.  It's been the case for a while that Ed. Visa holders have been tested at Immigration when they are extending their visa, but a language test at airport immigration seems unreal!  Also, how will they test someone on an Ed. Visa to study English, cooking or Muay Thai??

We know that a Triple Entry Tourist Visa, with Extensions and Border Runs, can be stretched to about 270 days.

It will probably disappear...

but several years already that it's no more available in my country (France)

where they apply a "90 days max in 180 days period" when you want a tourist visa...

First I've heard of this being done at the airport.  It's been the case for a while that Ed. Visa holders have been tested at Immigration when they are extending their visa, but a language test at airport immigration seems unreal!  Also, how will they test someone on an Ed. Visa to study English, cooking or muay Thai??

My understanding is that the only ED visa's being issued are for Thai language study. As for a test at the airport that does not seem to be the case merely a refusal and cancellation of the visa based on the immigration officers decision. Which is final just as in the USA and UK 

It will probably disappear...

but several years already that it's no more available in my country (France)

where they apply a "90 days max in 180 days period" when you want a tourist visa...

Same as in my country unless delivering a detailed travel plan with the different  entry's dates  ( had 2 in past years and sudden stopped , so i changed to Non O multiple from then .)

First I've heard of this being done at the airport.  It's been the case for a while that Ed. Visa holders have been tested at Immigration when they are extending their visa, but a language test at airport immigration seems unreal!  Also, how will they test someone on an Ed. Visa to study English, cooking or muay Thai??

I have never seen, nor heard of, anyone being tested at Jomtien Immigration for an ED visa extension, and the one report in this thread is the first I have ever heard of anyone being tested at the airport. As I am here on a ED visa for language school I have been keeping a close eye on the reports, and pestering my school about it. The extension application has a lot of things in it, photos of you in class, photos of you at your home, outside and inside, attendance records, and progress reports from your instructor. 

There is the semi-apocryphal tale of the multi-year language student not understanding the basic sentence "Bpla yai gin bpla lek." (big fish eats little fish) but I have heard/seen so many versions of this tale I have a hard time giving it much credibility. 

FWIW the Language school ED visa is currently a 90 day visa that you extend every 90 days. Most schools will only give 4 extensions for each year of school they are paid for. There is no new visa at the end of the year, just paying the school for another year of classes, then they keep giving you extensions. There is a limit on how long you can keep getting extensions, but the limit is unclear. I have been told from various places as little as 3 years total, to a max of 5 years total. 

It has been a while since the ED visa for language schools has been a 1 year visa. Other types of schools, IE universities, can get 1 year visas for their students still, as I understand it.

All that being said, I am being extra careful now to attend as close to 100% as I can, and also to make a real effort to study and actually learn the language, reading, writing and speaking.

Probably meant for a tourist crossing from Thailand to several in and outs to neighboring country's as a sightseeing tourist different Asian country's , not same as we see and used it.........that is also why in my country they stopped delivering them after i used 2 , and now again availble if a detailed travelling plan with back up documents are  delivered

Try to see it from their side , and not like we see it from our side , to easy our stay :Think1:

Seems Thailand go become more for the retiree's , but touch wood for the 12 august ..... if they do not have some surprises on the financial requirements for the retirement extension :Crazy1:  :WhoSaw1:

Thailand Elite originates from a singular goal to present the finest that the country has to offer into one unique package for our honored guests.

Whereas, the Cabinet passed a resolution on 29 July 2003, approving the Thailand Privilege Card Project as proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, whereby the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was to implement the project in the form of limited company. "Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited" registered its incorporation under the Civil and Commercial Code on 29 August 2003, having the TAT as its sole shareholder and the registered capital of THB 1,000 million and having the status of state enterprise under the Budget Procedures Act B.E. 2502 (1959).  Its objectives are to generate revenues from foreign visitors; and draw high-end visitors, businessmen, investors and the long stay groups, by offering rights and services to members. Such services are from both public and private sectors, e.g. Visa Privilege, Special Entry Visa, and Privilege Entry Visa

As part of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, this exclusive club has access to privileges that money alone cannot buy. Thailand Elite is the world's first country membership programme with benefit for immigration, leisure, business, and much more.

Yeah, I saw this as well.  I would want to be sure that the powers to be involved in this are on the same page as far as long term visas are concerned before I handed over 500,000 baht or 2,000,000 baht.  Anyone here signed up for this program?  I like how thy say that objective #1 is to "generate revenues from foreign visitors".

My understanding is that the only ED visa's being issued are for Thai language study. As for a test at the airport that does not seem to be the case merely a refusal and cancellation of the visa based on the immigration officers decision. Which is final just as in the USA and UK 

I've been told (by a visa agency) that you can still get Ed. Visas for other courses, not just Thai language study.  Plenty of people have them for general university courses, as well as cooking, Muay Thai and hopefully my Lao GF will get one to study English!

.... this exclusive club has access to privileges that money alone cannot buy ...  

I had to smile when i read this line ... wonder what it is you can't buy with money in Thailand .

Archived