IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

Everyone has until the 12th of August to get their house in order, do not be surprised if after that date Condominium are visited and residents required to show their passports along with their current legal visa. You may well see whole Sois occupied, with the assistance of the army whilst everybodies details are checked, along with work permits of anyone they believe are working such as bar owners.

Lots of rumours around.  This one sounds rather alarmist and I'd be very surprised if it happened.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of rumours around.  This one sounds rather alarmist and I'd be very surprised if it happened.

If it was anyone else I'd immediately call bullshit, but Cerberus Is usually fairly in the know. 

If it was anyone else I'd immediately call bullshit, but Cerberus Is usually fairly in the know. 

My first reaction was similar, but confused.

It certainly does sound extreme.

It seems to me that recent measures will cause a lot of people to keep their heads down, so there's probably something to go at.

With a military mind at play and the manpower to do it, why not?

It would be good fun and probably quite populist.

Written in a hurry so you are right it did/does sound alarmist which was not my intention and I apologise for that. However you have only to look at their recent actions and the reasons behind them to understand that the next step will be to seek out those that have not, for whatever reason, addressed their situation. The army has an agenda and will I am sure pursue it. There are already laws in place regards record keeping for alien's renting or leasing property, they have but to start enforcing such so as to move onto their next stage of clearing the country of those residing here illegally.

From a military standpoint it makes a great deal of sense and would be my next move. To achieve their future goals they have to maintain the momentum in all that they start/publicis, as Edge stated it would be quite populist. Targeting those working or residing here who do not contribute to the public purse whilst benefitting from the countries facilities, the perception being that they are acting to stop those people from taking advantage of Thais.

Whilst such actions would have little effect on the majority of us(?)it would be an excellent move.

Last week I saw a cop walking along taking photos of all the bars and signs and making notes.

What ever that means I don't know, but something is up, never seen that before.

Member since Dec 06.

Last week I saw a cop walking along taking photos of all the bars and signs and making notes.

What ever that means I don't know, but something is up, never seen that before.

Where?

Targeting those working or residing here who do not contribute to the public purse whilst benefitting from the countries facilities, the perception being that they are acting to stop those people from taking advantage of Thais.

'Benefitting' ... in what way ?

Where?

Well a group of satchel wearers did the entire length of Soi 6 months ago, long before the coup.

'Benefitting' ... in what way ?

Targeting those working or residing here who do not contribute to the public purse whilst benefitting from the countries facilities, the perception being that they are acting to stop those people from taking advantage of Thais.

"the perception being"

It seems to me that there will be quite a few lying lie due to the new penalties.

Confirmation via Thaivisa :-

Thailand Immigration confirms new overstay rules are now official

immigration confirm overstay.png

BANGKOK: The website of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has today (22nd July 2014) posted a new announcement regarding its rules for overstay.

Today’s announcement is further confirmation on the proposed crackdown on foreigners overstaying[/size]

in Thailand, which Thaivisa.com published earlier this month.

The announcement which is written in both English and Thai details the penalties for overstay as follows:

Warning !

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

It should also be noted that today’s new rules as detailed above confirms the removal of the proposed lifetime ban for overstaying 10 years or more, which Thaivisa.com informed its members of on Sunday 20th July 2014, following the announcement of longer visa exemptions from next month[/size].[/quote

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744965-thailand-immigration-confirms-new-overstay-rules-are-now-official/?utm_source=newsletter-20140722-1017&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Thai people not quite sure how they feel about the new military rulers, so let's whip up some xenophobia, nothing like weeding out the evil farang who are here to fuck over the poor Thai people. Yep, could be a good move on their part.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Not hard to do was checked years ago x 1 day sitting in my rented Pattaya apartment there was a knock on the door and immigration check  had everything ok non o visa so no problems but was surprised at the visit seemingly it was just routine !

Regards

mrjd

Not hard to do was checked years ago x 1 day sitting in my rented Pattaya apartment there was a knock on the door and immigration check  had everything ok non o visa so no problems but was surprised at the visit seemingly it was just routine !

Regards

mrjd

Big difference today with any of these crackdowns seems to be the will and the manpower.

It seems to me that there will be quite a few lying lie due to the new penalties.

Confirmation via Thaivisa :-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744965-thailand-immigration-confirms-new-overstay-rules-are-now-official/?utm_source=newsletter-20140722-1017&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

You notice they dropped the lifetime ban off the originally proposed penalties. 

the clean up puket beaches, pattaya nighclubs, mocy taxi, visas  etc etc.is good an all but really fairy floss twinkle twinkle little star stuff

and just as likely to return to some degree after time.

now if they take on the real problems, might be an actual proper change in direction for the country

corruption being the giant grizzly bear in the corner, everybody whos anybody has their finger in that pie.

we'll just have to wait and see how they set up the reforms and what elected gov returns, but to see how that pans out is years off

Member since Dec 06.

A rule has been in effect for quite some time but has rarely been enforced is now tabled to be vigorously implemented.  To be legal owners of condo units, guest houses and properties leased to  to alien's are to submit  the following form to the local immigration office:    http://www.immigrati...ad/pdf/tm30.pdf

A rule has been in effect for quite some time but has rarely been enforced is now tabled to be vigorously implemented.  To be legal owners of condo units, guest houses and properties leased to  to alien's are to submit  the following form to the local immigration office:    http://www.immigrati...ad/pdf/tm30.pdf

A couple of months ago my landlord came around asking for new copies of my passport as he had been told he needed to keep this reporting up to date. He had not been reporting the foreigners living in his building at all.

Can anyone help me with any info regards to guys like myself who are doing the opposite VOA runs,im retired 65 and living in penang Malaysia on the 3 month/90 day VOA chop so every 80 days or so i take the van up to Hatyai via the Bukit Kayu Hitam boarder crossing and stay in Thailand for 3/4 days only before returning to Penang Total times i enter Thailand in a year is 4 times with an average of only 16 day in total staying in Thailand per year.

Looking at the latest rules from Immigration Thailand there clamping down on foreigners who are doing the back to back 30 day VOA from there country,does anyone know if this will effect my status or others who are in the same situation has its stated that they are only permitting one entry VOA and then refusing further 30 day VOAs without a proper visa. There also ive been told refusing people who apply the 2 month visas on a regular basis.  

Yesterday an american friend of mine who stays in Thailand on a regular basis was refused his 2 month visa which he applied for it here in penang at the Thai embassy,he had to return to Malaysia  with a refused entry chop in his passport and has now bought a ticket back to the states,he leaves his Thai gf in Chang Mai with his things motorbike and apartment,hes also not sure how long he will have to remain out of Thailand before he can go back, yes i know what you are thinking that his flat will be empty bike and things gone with the wind along with her :(

Yesterday an american friend of mine who stays in Thailand on a regular basis was refused his 2 month visa which he applied for it here in penang at the Thai embassy,he had to return to Malaysia  with a refused entry chop in his passport and has now bought a ticket back to the states,he leaves his Thai gf in Chang Mai with his things motorbike and apartment,hes also not sure how long he will have to remain out of Thailand before he can go back, yes i know what you are thinking that his flat will be empty bike and things gone with the wind along with her :(

What country passport is he holding?  That is too bad for him...

Jesus, that's a bad story, sort of every farang's worse nightmare, something that could happen to any of us at any time with just a little tinkering of immigration laws. All the more reason to follow the old adage: Never buy anything in Thailand that you can't fit into a suitcase, or you're not prepared to just walk away from.

What country passport is he holding?  That is too bad for him...

hes an American holding an American passport.and yes hes devastated :( apparently according to him and this is just hearsay he will have to remain out of Thailand for at least 6 months and then apply for a 90 day 3 month visa at his country's(US) Thai Embassy. again and this is hearsay that they for some unknown reason are not excepting 2 month visas anymore,you would think they would have told him that at the Penang Thai embassy right,they took his money fast enough. 

Jesus, that's a bad story, sort of every farang's worse nightmare, something that could happen to any of us at any time with just a little tinkering of immigration laws. All the more reason to follow the old adage: Never buy anything in Thailand that you can't fit into a suitcase, or you're not prepared to just walk away from.

Yes these are bad times for foreigners who are trying to build a new life in Thailand of course many will say its his fault for not finding out about the new changes soon enough and applying for the correct visa's but even people that are complying with there new regs there no guarantee that they will be excepted especially under this new regime.  

Yes these are bad times for foreigners who are trying to build a new life in Thailand of course many will say its his fault for not finding out about the new changes soon enough and applying for the correct visa's but even people that are complying with there new regs there no guarantee that they will be excepted especially under this new regime.  

Unless they plan to take the orchid out of the green house, a cynic might ponder why anyone would 'marry' and perhaps have children here when they will probably never have the right to live here.

I'm retired here, on the annual retirement visa, I have sufficient income and sufficient funds in the bank to satisfy the current requirements. However, if, for example, they doubled or tripled the necessary income & amount in a bank requirements then I, and no doubt many more like me, would be absolutely stuffed.

Oh well, can cross those bridges if & when I get to them, Cambodia is just a couple hours away.

Archived