IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

I've been told (by a visa agency) that you can still get Ed. Visas for other courses, not just Thai language study.  Plenty of people have them for general university courses, as well as cooking, muay Thai and hopefully my Lao GF will get one to study English!

Hope your right as I have a friend here on a ED visa but he is attending Uni. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope your right as I have a friend here on a ED visa but he is attending Uni. 

I hope I'm right too - but things like this seem to be changing by day at the moment!

No other type of ED visa's are being issued at the moment unless you no different ?

Then they must have changed it since 2013. I know of 2 people who studies in Thailand at the moment...........cooking.

Then they must have changed it since 2013. I know of 2 people who studies in Thailand at the moment...........cooking.

When it comes to Visa's this place changes on a Daily basis...Forget what happened in 2013  :Cuss4:

Well, here ya go:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-more-visa-runs-30238504.html

Immigration authorities will not let visa runners return after August 12
FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.

The times they are 'a changin...

Yeah, I saw this as well.  I would want to be sure that the powers to be involved in this are on the same page as far as long term visas are concerned before I handed over 500,000 baht or 2,000,000 baht.  Anyone here signed up for this program?  I like how thy say that objective #1 is to "generate revenues from foreign visitors".

There's a thread running over on TV about (I thought PA attracted some cantankerous old buggers ... it's got nothing on TV!)

Couple of people on there have signed up, one of whom posted the visa you get and his first entry stamp here. Can't post the images here but:

• His multiple entry visa is valid from 2014 until 2019
  • His first entry stamp is valid until 2015:
  • He doesn't have to leave Thailand for five years if he doesn't want to
  • Still has to do 90 day reporting (can get TE to do it for him via mail if in Bkk)
  • Annual extension at usual cost of 1900 Bht
  • If pops across for a visit to some other country, on returning he'll get a new 12 month entry stamp so won't necessarily require doing the annual extension nor face the subsequent cost
  • Gets met at Swampy and taken through VIP immigration every time and a limo to hotel in Bkk 24 times a year
  • Can get concierge help dealing with bureaucracy such as opening bank account, getting driving licence, fast tracking other visas and getting work permit if eligible (one freebie then 2000 Bht each time)
  • Can only get 1 year driving licence on this visa
  • No idea yet if it can be stretched to six years (i.e. go out the country and return just before the five years is up - on return will they stamp it for another 12 months?)

For someone under 50 with limited options for a long-term visa and the cash to splash could well be worth it if they want to stay in LOS for that length of time.

Well, that's it confirmed then, game over.

Not over, just changing.

Not over, just changing.

Well I certainly won't be leaving Thailand at a land border for whatever reason, it's simply too risky to get yourself stranded. So that leaves getting a job or an education visa. And it seems you have the same risks with an ed visa if the guy's having a bad day and decides that your Thai language skills aren't up to scratch.

Maybe time to do a TEFL, though I'm not sure if all the lower paid jobs out there for the newbies even come with a proper work permit.

It has been announced 2 months ago with a death date of August 12.

I don't see why it would be "game over"?

It has no impact on real tourists with short stay

It has no impact on people living here (who use non-Imm and extensions)

Only the very few people trying to live here with Tourist Visa may be impacted,

but they just have to leave in a near country and get the correct visa to live here.

Real impacted will be Russian and Vietnamese working here on permanent visa exemptions

I spoke with the Thai Embassy Visa rep. In Los Angeles today. For a casual tourist like myself who wanted to stay in Thai as long as he could on legal Visa. Two month tourist visa's will be issued, and upon leaving and returning a 30 extension would be given. He had no knowledge of any time required to leave and return to get stamp. You can stay 90 days every 6 months.

I know this doesn't help long term visitors there. Just wanted to pass on this info for casual visitor.

Well I certainly won't be leaving Thailand at a land border for whatever reason, it's simply too risky to get yourself stranded. So that leaves getting a job or an education visa. And it seems you have the same risks with an ed visa if the guy's having a bad day and decides that your Thai language skills aren't up to scratch.

Maybe time to do a TEFL, though I'm not sure if all the lower paid jobs out there for the newbies even come with a proper work permit.

I have seen no credible reports of anyone being quizzed on their Thai language skills at immigration when going in for an extension. And trust me, I am keeping my eyes out for them. Credible reports of added documentation recently, but not of quizzes at immigration. 

That could change, I won't deny that, but so far there is one story, the big fish eats the little fish story, told over and over again. I have heard so many versions IMO It has reached the level of urban legend.

Not game over.

The single residents (not married) less than 50 yo now have 2 choices:

- business visa with a work permit

- Visa ED

It's clear that most of them will choose the Visa ED. It will be over when they will really check the people using the Visa ED. Sure it will be the next step but when ?

Retirement visas are easy to obtain here (for now), but marriage visas are more difficult now in the paperwork required.  Personally, I think it is going to be more difficult in the years to come to live here.

If you are in a regular situation it only takes a few hours to gather the required documents.

Then they will come to see your house/condominium, ask your neighbours if you are living with your wife and if you are not working illegaly.

They are doing their job.

They can check me once a year, that's fine for me.

PS:

- I know many farangs younger than 50 yo that don't even try to obtain this kind of visa. Guess why ? Because they are working and don't want to be inspected ! I'm happy to have this visa, because I know they checked me, I'm clean for the thai autorities, I sleep good :)

- Altect123, you can be sure that those who told you that this visa is difficult to have, they have something to hide ! The good news for the thai immigration is that they will be all parked in the "visa ED" category, it will be easier to catch them.

"The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here."

The comment on exploitation of tourist visas would seem to imply that if you have a 60 day visa then you will no longer be able to cross a border, spend time in an adjoining country and return by land and get another 30 days...very inconvenient for many genuine tourists I would have thought

". Two month tourist visa's will be issued, and upon leaving and returning a 30 extension would be given"

Not according to the IB post they won't ??

". Two month tourist visa's will be issued, and upon leaving and returning a 30 extension would be given"

Not according to the IB post they won't ??

The new rule introduced 4 or 5 years ago was "not more than 90 days every 180 days".

BUT it was possible with a 2 entry tourist visa:

- 60 days + 30 days extension at Jomtien

- 90 days later, you made a visa-run and they gave you another 60 days stamp at the border (!)

- it was still possible to make a 30 days extension at Jomtien (!)

... and after 180 days, you could go to a thai ambassy in Cambodia, Laos to obtain a new 2x tourist visa  (!)

Now what they introduce is more logical:

- They can deliver a multi tourist visa (60 days)

- Each time you travel, they'll give no more than 30 days. Thay way, this visa won't allow you to stay more than 90 days in Thailand.

PS: When they introduced this new rule 4-5 years ago, I decided to stop the tourist visa formula for non-im visas because all the other alternatives were tricks to circumvent the law.

If you are in a regular situation it only takes a few hours to gather the required documents.

- Altect123, you can be sure that those who told you that this visa is difficult to have, they have something to hide ! 

That was not my experience.  When I went to get my marriage visa redone/ extended / renewed for the year, they wanted copies of my landlord's house book and family book, which was not going to happen easily since she lives in Bangkok and she is from other part of Thailand.  This was not required when I initially got my marriage visa.  I do not work here anymore and do not need a work permit, so I just went the retirement visa route, as it was much easier.  As with everything else here in Thailand, things are constantly changing.

P.S.-  You can get a work permit with a marriage visa and work permits are easy to get, so I am not sure if I agree with you on the reason guys under 50 do not go the marriage visa route.  My guess is that they are not married.

The thai autorities are clear, you are wellcomed as resident in Thailand (more than 90 days every 180 days) IF AND ONLY IF:

- you are working: you have to provide all the legal papers, business visa + work permit

- you are not working: (you have enough money AND you are married or more than 50 yo) OR you are an investor (IM visa)

BUT as today you are tolerated with:

- an ED visa, but for how long ?

- ELITE card visa (but don't forget what happened after the previous coup all those Elite cards provided by the Thaksin were cancelled)

The thai autorities are clear, you are wellcomed as resident in Thailand (more than 90 days every 180 days) IF AND ONLY IF:

- you are working: you have to provide all the legal papers, business visa + work permit

- you are not working: (you have enough money AND you are married or more than 50 yo) OR you are an investor (IM visa)

- ELITE card visa (but don't forget what happened after the previous coup all those Elite cards provided by the Thaksin were cancelled)

Not sure why you put the ED visa in your ambiguous 'tolerated' category. There has been no indication that they are making any radical changes to the ED visa, outside of asking for more financial and personal information, thus attempting to weed out those who are using the ED visa to work illegally. 

That was not my experience.  When I went to get my marriage visa redone/ extended / renewed for the year, they wanted copies of my landlord's house (1) book and family book,(2) which was not going to happen easily since she lives in Bangkok and she is from other part of Thailand. 

(1) Copy of the Landlord'sTabian Ban: easy

(2) If she lives with you in Bangkok she has to register to a new Tabian Ban. My wife did it before we bough a house. It takes 30mn in an Amphur to register to the Tabian Ban from a friend in Bangkok. This paper work has to be done once a time.

You can get a work permit with a marriage visa

The problem is that most of them (the applicant or the employer) don't (or can't) pay the taxes for the work permit. The amount depends on the province, it can be up to 50,000 bahts the firts year & 20,000 bahts the next years. Secondly the employer will have to pay 7% taxes with a salary higher than 50,000 bahts/month.

Not sure why you put the ED visa in your ambiguous 'tolerated' category.

3-4 years ago there were not so many "students" in Thailand, those applicants use and abuse a breach in the non-im application.

This is just another trick to circumvent the law and for sure this will be the next "crackdown".

While some investigations have taken place the card/service has never been closed down !

While some investigations have taken place the card/service has never been closed down !

The Ophosit's government did it in 2011!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/464060-thailand-elite-card-closes-down-to-the-tunes-of-25-billion-baht/

The cabinet yesterday decided to close down in 60 days the loss-ridden Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), operator of the Thailand Elite Card, the brainchild of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry, whose state agency the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is TPC's sole owner, was instructed to prepare to compensate the 2,500-odd members should any of them take legal action once their membership is revoked.

Not over, just changing.

No idea true or not, but one person on the teaching side of the fence is suggesting that soon there will be a serious shortage of English teachers.

The reason is that a lot of them are currently doing it without WPs and staying here by visa dodging in some way.

A couple of years ago they caught a busload of teachers who were working this way either by visa dodging or by using a visa status which did not allow it, such as Tourist Visas and Retirement or Marriage Extensions.

In that case I believe the school managed to solve the problem, but do many of them actually help their employees to get WPs?

Archived