IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/?p=8096024

This doesn't look good at all. Ok, it does say that all who were denied entry had history of border runs, but without quantifying exactly what is allowed now and what isn't people are going to be at risk of getting stranded when they travel to activate a second or third entry.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say I personally don't see an issue; then again I'm not lucky enough to be "living the dream" in LOS.

The way I see it the vast majority of people on here would be bitching about people living in their home country "illegally" so what's the issue with the Thais enforcing these rules? (Not saying people doing border runs have been doing anything illegal per se but if living in LOS then they aren't exactly real tourists are they.)

And before the usual suspects chime in with the usual bullshit about prostitution, closing times etc. save the pixels  :SoWhat1:

Have to say I personally don't see an issue; then again I'm not lucky enough to be "living the dream" in LOS.

The way I see it the vast majority of people on here would be bitching about people living in their home country "illegally" so what's the issue with the Thais enforcing these rules? (Not saying people doing border runs have been doing anything illegal per se but if living in LOS then they aren't exactly real tourists are they.)

And before the usual suspects chime in with the usual bullshit about prostitution, closing times etc. save the pixels  :SoWhat1:

But what defines a tourist?. I'm pretty sure there aren't any stipulations on length of stay to be considered a tourist, rather than living somewhere. I have an income from online and was planning a year stay but I still consider myself a tourist. Not even been back here a week yet and it's all going to shit as this is only going to get worse.

I'll save my bitching about the difference in girls attitudes from when I left for another thread :GoldenSmile1:

But what defines a tourist?

Uneasy question, but in most countries if you stay at least 183 days you are no more a "tourist" but a "resident".

Uneasy question, but in most countries if you stay at least 183 days you are no more a "tourist" but a "resident".

Actually that's a good point I'd forgotten about. I believe that definition is tied to where you are paying tax. Although it's a fair point that those working online and not paying tax here are still feeding the Thai economy.

That is indeed the $64,000 question which could get unfortunate people snarled up in this crackdown. But I would suggest most tourists don't buy TVs, bikes, sign 12 month leases etc. when they are "touristing"  :GoldenSmile1:

Yep it sucks, and yep I feel sorry for those lucky bastards that have got away with it so far but it is what it is. Hopefully it will blow over sooner rather than later and they are just using it to target those working illegally/"undesirables rather than people that are just lucky enough to have the cash to retire there.

But I would suggest most tourists don't buy TVs, bikes, sign 12 month leases etc. when they are "touristing"  :GoldenSmile1:

You're probably right about "most" but there are many that do.

Before I reached the legal retirement age, I used to spend 6 to 18 months at a time here doing visa runs, getting a 60-day visa in Penang and extending it for 30 in Jomtien. Nobody cared back then.

Anyway, I used to sign leases, own TVs, motorcycles, etc., but I wouldn't try it now.

Adding: What a bummer it would be to have all of your stuff in Pattaya and be denied entry! A friggin' nightmare.

Yes was always a 6 months tax law even within Europe played the game years ago  as regards tax rebate as laws in Germany an UK differed so got all tax back from x 2 countries as regards 6 over and 6 less months but guess euro laws have changed that

working tax credits is cool  working on line is pretty easy earn something self employed =  £90 + - depending on your situation  per week if you do not earn so much :) think the law is no more than 8 weeks per period outside UK best you check yourself the tax office does not hahah

play the game

regards

mrjd

It says right in the TV article that this seems to be the isolated actions of one local boss. I would not worry too much until it spreads outside the southern border region, or unless you are working a long string of tourist visas and/or visa waiver entries.

It says right in the TV article that this seems to be the isolated actions of one local boss. I would not worry too much until it spreads outside the southern border region, or unless you are working a long string of tourist visas and/or visa waiver entries.

There's always been talk of getting a new passport so you're not showing years worth of visas all in a close time frame, seems a bit silly in this digital age. I wonder if having a clean passport will help as I got a new one before coming back last week.

You're probably right about "most" but there are many that do...

But that's the thing; staying in a place for 6-8 months ... is that really being a tourist? Legally, yes I would say (as far as I'm aware they don't have a specific amount of time nominated any place - although there used to be from memory, 60 days in 90 or something like that?) but is it in the "spirit" of what a true tourist is? 

There's always been talk of getting a new passport so you're not showing years worth of visas all in a close time frame, seems a bit silly in this digital age. I wonder if having a clean passport will help as I got a new one before coming back last week.

I don't think Thailand is that much of a backwater that their systems won't know how often and when you have visited with or without a clean passport sadly.

But that's the thing; staying in a place for 6-8 months ... is that really being a tourist? Legally, yes I would say (as far as I'm aware they don't have a specific amount of time nominated any place) but is it in the "spirit" of what a true tourist is? 

I don't see why it is NOT being a tourist, so long as you are not working. A tourist is defined in the dictionary as a person who travels for pleasure. That definition certainly covers most of us here on this board, what else are we here for but pleasure.

Again, it says right in the article quoted by the OP that this seems to be isolated to one sector of crossings under one commander, and he just sending people off to use their visas at an airport, NO reports of the visas being cancelled. It is certainly worth keeping an eye on, but I don't see it as being a panic situation.

If you are wanting to come here for a long stay, maybe it is time to consider an ED visa. Yes, they are looking more closely at the fly by night schools, and the students who never go to class, but honestly, 4 hours a week of class time is not a huge block of time.

I don't see why it is NOT being a tourist, so long as you are not working. A tourist is defined in the dictionary as a person who travels for pleasure. That definition certainly covers most of us here on this board, what else are we here for but pleasure.

Just wondering; does going from the condo to the 6 or WS and back daily constitute "travelling"?  :GoldenSmile1:

Pragmatically, whatever the person with the big gun (Police/Army) says it is.

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead".

This really does make sense doesn't it ??

Thai logic perhaps ... crackdown on those entry by plane not due to come into affect until 12 August I believe  :GoldenSmile1:

A tourist is defined in the dictionary as a person who travels for pleasure.

I would bet Immigration definition can be different, because as said before,

if you stay at least 183 days in a country you are no more a "tourist" but a "resident".

I think they should have just add in rules something like :

"As a tourist you can't stay more than 180 days a year in Thailand", or

"As a tourist you can't stay more than 90 days in Thailand for any 180 days period"

99.9% sure they used to and only ditched that rule when they changed the visa runs to 7 days instead of 30 days ... which they fairly quickly changed back to 30 days for those from G7 countries  :Disease1:

Getting very difficult to obtain a visa nowadays...Unless your Over 50 or Married ! Yes you still have the option to study Thai language at an official school (ED Visa).. 

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead".

I confess that I have not studied the Thaivisa thread.

When they were refused entry, were their Tourist Visas stamped Cancelled, in which case their only way back into Thailand (for now anyway) might be by utilising the 30 day visa waiver......or were they just told to go away?

Maybe that's a daft Q because if they were refused entry by land and their Passports stamped I wonder if they'd even get on a plane.

OK I'll go and read it.

As TTT said, unless you're >50 or married it's getting tough.

Maybe there'll be a lot of guys rushing to get married?   :hello09:

I confess that I have not studied the Thaivisa thread.

When they were refused entry, were their Tourist Visas stamped Cancelled, in which case their only way back into Thailand (for now anyway) might be by utilising the 30 day visa waiver......or were they just told to go away?

Maybe that's a daft Q because if they were refused entry by land and their Passports stamped I wonder if they'd even get on a plane.

OK I'll go and read it.

As TTT said, unless you're >50 or married it's getting tough.

Maybe there'll be a lot of guys rushing to get married?   :hello09:

I rather spend some more time in Cambodia ... 555 .

They were on a double entry tourist visa and wanted to activate the second entry .

They were on a double entry tourist visa and wanted to activate the second entry .

Yes I know, but does it say whether they were just turned away or were their Visa stamped as cancelled? 

Edit - Re' the bit in red, as long as that works after Aug 12th of course.

Might have to Invest in a Thailand Elite card...............................

Could be cheaper than getting married.............................. and you get airport service and a limo' 24 times a year too 555.

They are looking at ED visas very carefully now, it will have to be a fully registered and licenced school and visa holders may soon face tests set according to the length of time expired on their visa/study. I am receiving information about two people being refused entry at Suvarnabhumi last night one Farang (British) and his Chinese partner.  They were questioned regards their education visa's their language skills tested and then refused entry, their ED visa being stamped as cancelled.

I believe there will shortly be a change in the reporting regards ED visa's the documentation will include class attendance records and proficiency acquired. Some are already facing such when attending Soi 5 for their 90 day report although no notification has been given yet. The ED visa may well become a 90 day visa with extensions subject to learning results.

Archived