IGNORED

The Manchester United thread

Baxidar ba

It's a pretty sad end to the transfer window. With that sale they spent what? 67-68 mil? 

For a team that finished 6th and promised a complete overhaul, this is a WAY short of what they needed. And they are still full of dead weight. We don't need Sanchez, Jones, Rojo, Matic... Juan Mata couldn't even play 2nd team for Man City or Liverpool, and he's an injury away from starting for MU.

Could Rashford and Martial and Lingard all have break out seasons?

Could.

(Though they scored but one goal each in the last 12 games)

Could Pogba stay upbeat through a long schedule, while Pereira and McTominay bloom into something special?

Could.

(I think he'd have been happier with someone like Fernandes to take the pressure off him)

Will James and Wan-Bissaka and Maguire have outstanding seasons for us?

Most likely, if they stay healthy.

Too many ifs.

We needed a solid Midfielder and a deadly forward to make this team compeatable. If Ole can get THIS squad in the top 4, he's Coach of the Year.

The only thing I'm hanging my hopes on (besides Ole - I DO believe in him), is that WITHOUT James and Wan-Bissaka and Maguire last year, this team was only two losses we shouldn't have had* from finishing in the Top 4.

*Game 32 vs the Wolves on the Road and Game 38 vs Cardiff City at home. Win those two and we're #4 on the Season.

3 minutes ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

For a team that finished 6th and promised a complete overhaul, this is a WAY short of what they needed. And they are still full of dead weight. We don't need Sanchez, Jones, Rojo, Matic... Juan Mata couldn't even play 2nd team for Man City or Liverpool, and he's an injury away from starting for MU.

We can't attract world class players if we're not in the CL. This season, all we can hope for is a team that can finish top 4. It should be our only objective this season. We haven't managed to attract one world class player this summer and I include Maguire in that.

Olle, the fans and the owners need to be in it for the long haul. Could be 2 or even 3 seasons before we are besting City.

I understand what you say about "dead wood" and agree with the names you have put forward, but we need a squad and ATM they're all we've got. Only hope this season is some of the youth players coming forward and shining. I'm convinced Olle will give them the chance, if they're good enough.

• Like 1

While fourth place and Champions League qualification is the minimum United should be aiming for this season Wolves, Everton and Leicester all have their eyes on 6th or higher.

13 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

While fourth place and Champions League qualification is the minimum United should be aiming for this season Wolves, Everton and Leicester all have their eyes on 6th or higher.

Who? 555

Chelsea are going to struggle this season without Hazard. A spent force who will do well to finish in the top 6. We need to put them to the sword on Sunday if we have any ambitions to finish top 4.

We have a relatively easy set of fixtures (including Wolves and Leicester) until 7th December (City away) and hopefully we can go on another run the same as we did when Ole first took over. Going to City unbeaten and top of the league is doable.

4 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

Could Rashford and Martial and Lingard all have break out seasons?

Could.

Fixed that for you. 

They needed 1 Out for this transfer window to be a success: Woodward

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

We can't attract world class players if we're not in the CL. This season, all we can hope for is a team that can finish top 4. It should be our only objective this season. We haven't managed to attract one world class player this summer and I include Maguire in that.

Agree.

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

Olle, the fans and the owners need to be in it for the long haul. Could be 2 or even 3 seasons before we are besting City.

I understand what you say about "dead wood" and agree with the names you have put forward, but we need a squad and ATM they're all we've got. Only hope this season is some of the youth players coming forward and shining. I'm convinced Olle will give them the chance, if they're good enough.

I agree and I still believe we can achieve that IF we don't have any major injuries.

There is a vast array of options in the 2019/20 season...

....at jlingz.com :Laugh1:

11 hours ago, petemoss said:

We have a relatively easy set of fixtures (including Wolves and Leicester) until 7th December (City away) and hopefully we can go on another run the same as we did when Ole first took over.......

Oh how many fans of all teams have said this to their peril, how often winnable games reap you nothing and tough looking fixture earn you points, not saying you`re over confident , its just the reality of football as you`ll be aware.

5 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Oh how many fans of all teams have said this to their peril, how often winnable games reap you nothing and tough looking fixture earn you points, not saying you`re over confident , its just the reality of football as you`ll be aware.

As someone who also follows Town, I'm fully aware of that. It's nice to dream!

However, that wasn't the case with the run we went on last season which was only ended with the "once in a lifetime" game at the Nou Camp when we left everything we had on the field and didn't find it again for the rest of the season.

Edited by petemoss

It's only one game - and against a Chelsea team that hasn't looked too good in preseason, but... Man you have to like what you see here. THAT is an opening game statement! I believe in Ole!

15 hours ago, Chuck in Bangkok said:

It's only one game - and against a Chelsea team that hasn't looked too good in preseason, but... Man you have to like what you see here. THAT is an opening game statement! I believe in Ole!

True that it was a very depleted Chelsea side, but we gave a "backs to the wall" performance in the first half and still went in 1-0 up.

Demolished Chelsea in the 2nd half. Good test for us at both ends of the pitch.

Good performance by the back 4 and I think that they will only get better. Looked increasingly deadly up front as the game went on. Moment of the match, for me, was James coming on and scoring on his debut. Look forward to many more from the new Welsh Wizard.

• Like 1

Not getting too excited just yet, we rode our luck yesterday (especially the 1st half).

But the attitude, commitment and Desire was a vast improvement compared to the back end of last season.

Always nice to put one over the rent boys.

• Like 1

Maguire outstanding yesterday, Rashford looking better cutting in from a wide position & linking up well with Martial. 

Back 4 looking solid  & De Gea made a couple of decent saves.

I feel the weak point will be the midfield. We are so reliant on Pogba, just have to pray he stays injury free & Ole can keep his attitude good & ego in check.

Only the 1st game but I’m quietly optimistic. Also very nice to be above Liverpool. 

Reality check

Maguire played well. :DChelsea hit the woodwork 3 times. :GrinNod1: Half of the first 11 Chelsea players did not play as they were either injured or recovering from injury. :GrinNod1:Pobga was missing in the match for the first 60 minutes. :GrinNod1:

4-0 was not a true reflection of the actual match. :GrinNod1:

I do so enjoy Manchester United supporters so optimistic about their chances after only one match especially when you were at home.  :P

1 hour ago, overseas516 said:

Reality check

Maguire played well. :DChelsea hit the woodwork 3 times. :GrinNod1: Half of the first 11 Chelsea players did not play as they were either injured or recovering from injury. :GrinNod1:Pobga was missing in the match for the first 60 minutes. :GrinNod1:

4-0 was not a true reflection of the actual match. :GrinNod1:

I do so enjoy Manchester United supporters so optimistic about their chances after only one match especially when you were at home.  :P

Glad you're enjoying it.

MUFC   Hated, adored never ignored.

3 hours ago, bolton69 said:

Lets give them the premier trophy now.   

Will not make the top four either. :P

11 hours ago, Eric Le Roi said:

Glad you're enjoying it.

MUFC   Hated, adored never ignored.

Who?

• 2 weeks later...

2 year deal offered to free agent Fernando Llorente formerly of Spurs. I’m guessing this is our plan  B? If all else fails lump it up to the big fella.

Not sure Llorente really suits the fast paced way Ole seems to want to play, maybe giving Greenwood more playing time would be a better option.

Sanchez apparently spotted at the American embassy so maybe a move to MLS is imminent?considering his wages he’s got to be up there as the biggest flop in Utd’s history. 

For sure.

This is a rebuilding year, I wish they'd just own it. I'm all for more of Greenwood. I even say they need to bring Gomes in and have him share time with Lingard. Jesse just isn't creative enough in that spot - and we need that to get more shots on goal. His energy running around in Ole's press is great but... we need more chances.

They have to do something about cornerkicks as well. No one taking them is any good at it... 

I just noticed on the MU app, that Tahith Chong, James Garner and Angel Gomes are now all listed on the First Team (Greenwood already was there). A good sign...

Yet another howler from De Gea but no worries to him as he is the highest paid goalkeeper in the premier league. :Crazy1: Cannot think why! :P

Great result for Crystal Palace  yesterday. :P

I do find it strange that all the Manchester United supporters on this forum who had so much enthusiasm for the start of the Premier League are now conspicuous with their absence.  :GrinNod1:

Perhaps they have had a real dose of reality and see that they are mediocre at best and drowning their sorrows? :Beer1::GiveBeer1: :Beer: