Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

17 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I am having some issues with Korean Air, but went ahead and booked my November 2020 flight to BKK.
Anyone else ever have an issue with the first/middle name thing?

I also updated my Korean Air profile to include my middle name based on the 'ticket must match passport' notice. I emailed their US customer service and they got back to me in less than 24 hours. I checked and my middle name had been added to my profile. While my first and middle names are separate in my profile and passenger data, for ticketing and boarding pass purposes the first and middle names are concatenated.

On the subject of 'middle names', I recently booked my next trip on CX with AA miles. Although my middle name is in my AA profile, it did not end up on my CX ticket as in the past. From what I read on Flyertalk (so take it with a grain of salt), it is because AA uses the Sabre reservation system which has three fields for a passenger's name; last, first and middle while CX uses Amadeus which has two fields; last name and given name(s). So when booking the award online, the middle name gets dropped in the process. Previously, I had to call AA for a CX award and the customer service rep manually took care this issue.

From what I read, it's nothing to worry about, apart from not being able to do online check-in. But being slightly anal, I called CX to make sure everything will be OK. The nice person I spoke with assured me it was fine and mentioned that while they might have been stricter about it in the past, they are more relaxed about this now. He also checked my passenger data which they must have got from my AA profile and my full name including middle, along with DOB, gender, passport number and expiry were all there and he said I'm good to go.

• Like 2

I can’t recall the airline, but one of them gave me some grief at the airport because my middle name wasn’t on the ticket. Not a big deal; I think she called a supervisor and got it cleared pretty quickly.

The “warning” on Korean’s website is why I am jumping through these hoops.

Since I no longer have business in Korea, their flight times suck for LAX, but I have to book first class before they devalue in 2021!

I’m gonna end up with 3,000+ orphaned miles after I book it. I would transfer to ANY hotel program if I could! 5555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bgtp said:

I also updated my Korean Air profile to include my middle name based on the 'ticket must match passport' notice. I emailed their US customer service and they got back to me in less than 24 hours. I checked and my middle name had been added to my profile. While my first and middle names are separate in my profile and passenger data, for ticketing and boarding pass purposes the first and middle names are concatenated.

That's what ended up happening with me -- may have taken a little longer because it was Sunday in Korea, but got the email Monday Korea-time confirming the change.

I went through a middle name back and forth with Korean Air several years ago. Only back then they required me to actually use a fax machine to send them certain information to book an award ticket.

I just booked and paid for my Korean Air first class award ticket back from Bangkok in early December 2020.

They hit me for over $220 USD in taxes/fees, but I was able to select my seats (although no telling if I will still get them come December!  555)

In addition to the high fees, the flight schedule isn't great -- 1 a.m. departure from Bangkok (I was smart enough to book Tuesday, so it's basically late Monday night), with a 6 hour layover at ICN early in the a.m.  That said, I was able to cash out 95,000 Korean miles before they are devalued in 2021.

....now my problem is WTF am I going to do with 3,112 orphaned Korean Air miles?!?  555

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I just booked and paid for my Korean Air first class award ticket back from Bangkok in early December 2020.

They hit me for over $220 USD in taxes/fees, but I was able to select my seats (although no telling if I will still get them come December!  555)

In addition to the high fees, the flight schedule isn't great -- 1 a.m. departure from Bangkok (I was smart enough to book Tuesday, so it's basically late Monday night), with a 6 hour layover at ICN early in the a.m.  That said, I was able to cash out 95,000 Korean miles before they are devalued in 2021.

....now my problem is WTF am I going to do with 3,112 orphaned Korean Air miles?!?  555

Travel packing pouches and some luggage stickers?

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/skypass/non-flight-award/logo-products/logo-product-details.html

Or, if you're feeling daring on that 6 hour layover, a limo from ICN to downtown is 2k.

17 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Travel packing pouches and some luggage stickers?

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/skypass/non-flight-award/logo-products/logo-product-details.html

Or, if you're feeling daring on that 6 hour layover, a limo from ICN to downtown is 2k.

If he was still footypjman the little blankie set would be perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/great-1926-oneworld-business-class-fares-nyc-to-southeast-asia/

JFK-KUL on JAL biz for $1926 rt. KUL-BKK is around 754 miles so cheap Avios or other mileage based award for that connection.

Damn...Chase Reserve fee going up $100. after April 1st 2020. You can either sign up for existing $450 now, or if you renewal is up before April 1st you'll renew at $450, but after that, $550 like Amex Plat. 

They did add perks, but none that I'm immediately interested in. Lyft Pink membership (15% discount & 10x points on use) and Doordash credits ($60/year for 2020 & 2021). Makes the calculus on this program a little more of a head scratcher. It was a slam dunk at $450, but just a hundred more and with stiff comp for Amex Gold, I don't know anymore. 

Perhaps surprising, but I do NOT have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card! 

I was above 5/24 when it was offered with the huge 100,000 UR bonus.  Since I have finally got under 5/24, I have stubbornly waited for them to increase the offer to the neighborhood again....and they have not!  555

As for the Lyft benefit, I get monthly Uber credits on my AMEX Platinum and, for me, it's more work than it is a benefit.  I don't use ridesharing apps, so I cash my credit out with UberEats each month.  Bloggers value the credits at face value, but I'm generally ordering food JUST to use my credit.

Busy morning for me on the miles/points front -- found out that I have to go to China at the end of the month, so I had to:
 - change my AMEX Platinum annual airline fee credit from American to United (still have $250 in AA fees credit with my AMEX Hilton)
 - cancel my United award booking on EVA (LAX to BKK on Feb 8) and re-deposit the 90,000 United miles into my account ($125 fee will be covered by the swap above)
 - book flight from LAX to China (PE on AA, which allowed me to cash out a $700 AA credit voucher from a cancelled flight last year and bulk up my EQMs and EQDs)
 - book flight from China to Bangkok (biz on Hainan - short flight, but it was very inexpensive to upgrade to biz class, so I figured WTH?  I SHOULD get credit on Alaska for that flight)
 - contact Marriott and change my award booking for when I arrive - now staying 2 nights instead of 3, but still at St Regis and using 2 award certificates (0 points).  Marriott certificates are only good up to 35,000 points.  If I tried to change to a weekend stay, it would've been 40,000 and I would've been priced out of that hotel using my certificates, but this weekday stay when I get there still worked.
 - book 1 night at the Pattaya Hilton paying cash (discounted non-refundable rate, but annual $250 credit on my AMEX Hilton should cover it + any room charges while there)
 - book the next 5 nights at the Hilton on points (238,000 points - pretty much wiped out my account)
 - the rest of my trip stayed as is (Holiday Inn for 7 nights - 4 paid, 1 free night certificate, 2 on IHG points)

I was hoping to use my Hilton points (and the annual $250 credit) for my trip in November, but it makes much more sense to use the points rather than incur about $1,000 in charges right before I have to pay taxes in April.  Hopefully, I can build them back up as quickly as possible.

While productive on the miles/points/travel front, that made today pretty much a waste for work!  5555

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

While productive on the miles/points/travel front, that made today pretty much a waste for work!  5555

You seem to have this stuff down to an art, as a novice (I just slap everything on my CIti Prestige Card) can I ask what "5/24" means? 

Edited by JB300

11 minutes ago, JB300 said:

You seem to have this stuff down to an art, as a novice (I just slap everything on my CIti Prestige Card) can I ask what "5/24" means? 

Chase instituted a policy a few years back - your card application will be declined if you have opened more than 5 new card accounts in the last 24 months (hence "5/24")

It kept me from getting a few cards back in my BIG churning days.  These days, I don't open/churn near as many accounts.

BTW, LOVE my Citi Prestige, but I was incredibly disappointed when I tried to use their "4th night free" perk today for this trip.

Instead of the past -- where I would call the concierge service and get whatever rate I was looking at online for the hotel -- you now have to use their online tool at thankyou.com.  Setting aside the lack of perks for your hotel club membership, the portal is just COMPLETE shit!  It gave me dozens and dozens of rates for the same type of room, with NO explanation as to what merited  the different rate.  No viable way to sort or organize them either - they didn't sort by price OR room type, but instead were just thrown at me as a random hodgepodge of rooms.

Also, their rates SUCKED.  If I wanted to pay instead of using points, their rate for the Hilton worked out to MORE than what I could just book it for through Hilton even AFTER factoring in the refund of the 4th night.  

I checked Mytt Beach hotel, because they seemed to have a good rate.  Their rate -- after the 4th night discount -- was $139/night for a Junior Suite.  Going to the hotel website, a Junior Suite is $139/night.  Uh.....WTF is the "savings" there?!?

I need to do some more research on how to use it, but, for now, that tool is utterly useless to me.

• Like 1

Curious as to how you guys will come out on this....

While I was interested in checking out AA's long haul PE, I thought I would call to see if a miles upgrade to business was available.

I expected a wait list, but she was able to bump me up right away for a $350 upgrade fee + 25,000 AA miles.  The 25,000 miles was a "no brainer" (although it took me below 500k), but the $350 charge gave me a little pause.  

In the end, I decided that it was worth the extra charge for a lie flat seat (window in 1-2-1 set-up + better food and IFE) on a 15+ hour flight, especially given the  almost 7-hour layover I will have in Hong Kong waiting for my connection.  I was planning to use the Centurion lounge and possibly the Plaza Premium via Priority Pass, but I think both are limited to 3-hours pre-flight.  According to the AA phone rep, my biz class boarding pass will get me into the biz class lounge (I assume AA, but I will try to sneak into Cathay if I can! 555).  I still may try to snag a shower room in the Centurion lounge.

Someone else is paying for my flight, but I don't feel right trying to pass the $350 upgrade fee on to them, so I will eat that (charged to business card, so at least it's a write it off).

So the question is, would you have upgraded or stuck with PE, saving the 25,000 miles and $350?

• Like 1

I havent checked recently, it is the price/mileage differential from PE to J the same as Y to J?

In general, I think PE to J is a huge jump. PE is tolerable, while J is very comfortable on AA, even with AA's crappy food and service. I havent attempted Y on AA, or for that matter any one else, in a long time.

So for me, all things considered, I would have pulled the trigger on the $350 plus 25k miles for the upgrade. My only question would be, could you have gotten the same upgrade charge on a Y fare without sitting on a waitlist and sweating it out?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

So the question is, would you have upgraded or stuck with PE, saving the 25,000 miles and $350?

I don't know how much cash value you put on the miles, but if you were to say 1c per mile, then you're getting a 15 hr upgrade + priority check-in/boarding & the option of a different (maybe better) lounge for $600....

I would bite their hand off up to the miles being worth around 3c per mile to me, if I had as many as you have & acquired them as quickly as you seem to do I would just ignore the miles & focus on the $350 cash 

Just spent 21,500 SIA miles + s$52.10 for a 1 way flight from SIN - BKK in Business Class, normally I fly economy on such short flights but it is my "Official" exiting Singapore flight (will be back to visit friends) so I figured why not :) 

5 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Do you even have to ask? 555   Of course, take the upgrade. 25K miles and $350 is a great deal.

As far as wanting to check out AA’s PE, on a 15+ hour flight, you’re braver than me. As an east-coaster, I’d be willing to test it on a flight to Europe.

7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Curious as to how you guys will come out on this....

While I was interested in checking out AA's long haul PE, I thought I would call to see if a miles upgrade to business was available.

I expected a wait list, but she was able to bump me up right away for a $350 upgrade fee + 25,000 AA miles.  The 25,000 miles was a "no brainer" (although it took me below 500k), but the $350 charge gave me a little pause.  

In the end, I decided that it was worth the extra charge for a lie flat seat (window in 1-2-1 set-up + better food and IFE) on a 15+ hour flight, especially given the  almost 7-hour layover I will have in Hong Kong waiting for my connection.  I was planning to use the Centurion lounge and possibly the Plaza Premium via Priority Pass, but I think both are limited to 3-hours pre-flight.  According to the AA phone rep, my biz class boarding pass will get me into the biz class lounge (I assume AA, but I will try to sneak into Cathay if I can! 555).  I still may try to snag a shower room in the Centurion lounge.

Someone else is paying for my flight, but I don't feel right trying to pass the $350 upgrade fee on to them, so I will eat that (charged to business card, so at least it's a write it off).

Definitely would have upgraded for those points and dollar sum. I'm flat out spoiled when it comes to a lie-flat seat these days on anything longer than 6 hours. 

Just an FYI - CX has been brutal with waitlisting. Trying to book one way back home next month and I've had two wait lists expire without award so far. Expert flyer shows a relatively empty cabin too. We're about a month out and I'm starting to bite my finger nails. Should have booked my return back 6 months ago when I saw J availability, but I got greedy waiting for F. I think I shot myself in the foot. 

10 hours ago, basket case said:

I havent checked recently, it is the price/mileage differential from PE to J the same as Y to J?

In general, I think PE to J is a huge jump. PE is tolerable, while J is very comfortable on AA, even with AA's crappy food and service. I havent attempted Y on AA, or for that matter any one else, in a long time.

So for me, all things considered, I would have pulled the trigger on the $350 plus 25k miles for the upgrade. My only question would be, could you have gotten the same upgrade charge on a Y fare without sitting on a waitlist and sweating it out?

I'm not well-versed on upgrades, but I think in flights with 4 classes of service, AA will only allow a one-class upgrade.

Plus, I couldn't risk being stuck in Economy for the flight.

10 hours ago, JB300 said:

I don't know how much cash value you put on the miles, but if you were to say 1c per mile, then you're getting a 15 hr upgrade + priority check-in/boarding & the option of a different (maybe better) lounge for $600....

I would bite their hand off up to the miles being worth around 3c per mile to me, if I had as many as you have & acquired them as quickly as you seem to do I would just ignore the miles & focus on the $350 cash 

Just spent 21,500 SIA miles + s$52.10 for a 1 way flight from SIN - BKK in Business Class, normally I fly economy on such short flights but it is my "Official" exiting Singapore flight (will be back to visit friends) so I figured why not :) 

4 hours ago, bgtp said:

Do you even have to ask? 555   Of course, take the upgrade. 25K miles and $350 is a great deal.

As far as wanting to check out AA’s PE, on a 15+ hour flight, you’re braver than me. As an east-coaster, I’d be willing to test it on a flight to Europe.

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Definitely would have upgraded for those points and dollar sum. I'm flat out spoiled when it comes to a lie-flat seat these days on anything longer than 6 hours. 

Thanks for the input!  Makes me feel a little better about it, since others would have done the same.

The difference in fare from PE to Biz was about $2000.  I couldn't justify hitting the company paying for the ticket for that much, but am fine hitting them with the (over-priced) PE ticket.

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Just an FYI - CX has been brutal with waitlisting. Trying to book one way back home next month and I've had two wait lists expire without award so far. Expert flyer shows a relatively empty cabin too. We're about a month out and I'm starting to bite my finger nails. Should have booked my return back 6 months ago when I saw J availability, but I got greedy waiting for F. I think I shot myself in the foot. 

I don't know which airport you go into, but I just checked LAX. 

AA's calendar shows biz saver fares (70k) on Feb. 13, 14 and 26....BUT horrible routing and mixed class - each one was BKK-HKG (overnight layover + economy)-KIX (Osaka, also economy)-LAX (final leg on JAL biz)

BRUTAL....

JAL availability also is showing on Alaska's website - 65k + less than $100 in fees - on some dates in mid-February.  I would suggest checking their website. 

Alaska was running a 50% bonus on mile purchases, but I don't know if it has ended.  Transfers from Marriott also are a possibility (60,000 Bonvoy = 25,000 Alaska miles).

A little reminder about using airline shopping portals to add to your mile balance:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-shopping-portal-promotions/

I am getting better about using them.  I find what I want online, then go through the airline shopping portals to see what kind of miles I can get, as well as Rakuten (which nets me either cash back or AMEX MR at the equivalent of a penny a point).  It's a relatively painless way to add a few miles.

Also, Staples is back with the "no fee" $200 Visa gift cards this week -- using my Chase Ink Biz card will net me 1,000 UR for the $200 purchase.  If you get an increased return for office supplies, it's another nice way to bump your point/mile total.

Asking for a friend - 

Anyone fly Air China (the one based in Beijing) in business class lately?  Thoughts/impressions?

I have heard horror stories, but my friend is flying them to mainland China.

He has absurdly long layovers in Beijing (I think each way).  Any suggestions on that?

57 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Asking for a friend - 

Anyone fly Air China (the one based in Beijing) in business class lately?  Thoughts/impressions?

I have heard horror stories, but my friend is flying them to mainland China.

He has absurdly long layovers in Beijing (I think each way).  Any suggestions on that?

I flew their 777 about five years ago trans-Pacific in business class, LAX-PEK, on an award ticket. The seat was great for the time and IMO, would still be pretty good, although it's a 2-2-2 setup, so the window seats don't have direct aisle access. Food was decent enough, service fairly perfunctory.

Overall, good enough that I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3200 CAD business class ticket for March.

TB-ES

I just completed a flight on Air Asia from DMK to Sapporo. When I ticketed a few months ago, there was an option to buy the "Premium Flatbed" seat for only $125 more than coach.

It was well worth the upgrade. We avoided the horrendous queue to check in at DMK. The flatbed seat is, admittedly, and old generation angled flat seat, but for the 7 hour flight, it is a huge improvement over steerage. Got 40kg of checked bags and a meal included.

Not all days had the cheap upgrade. The day after, it was more like $500 per person. But if you're flexible, a decent deal can be had with without playing upgrade roulette at check-in