IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

17 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I thought it was 20% of the fare paid?

I’m leaning HEAVILY towards buying it!

5X AMEX.....PLUS I snag another 1% back in AMEX MR by clicking on the Rakuten link.

My flight dates would be VERY similar - think I would go in the day before and out the day after. The 1 a.m. departure kinda sucks, but that’s what I’m on now with Korean Air.

Korean devaluation kicks in April 1, 2021, so I could just move that award ticket back for my February 2021 trip. Change fee is only about $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, yeah its 20% of miles flown.   Yeah my flight leaves sunday night at 8pm.  Get to Doha around midnight.  7 hour layover.    But their lounges are amazing.    And u can even hit the city around 1am. I did it before it was an amazing experience.      Also. If u have a biz class purchases ticket, they will let u buy access to their 1st class lounge for 150 bucks.  They have a spa, beds and Krug champagne  I'm for sure going to buy it on my leg home.

Think my flight is around 730am and I get into lax at 1pm ish on the 30th

PS.  A few years ago I did Korean 1st when they were a chase partner.  Ugh so subpar.   And their biz class seats are a joke.  Unless u fly their 787-8 with Apex suites.  Just a subpar experience imo.    But I understand u need to burn them before they devalue..  just dont have high expectations.   Their lounges in ICN. 1st and biz even suck.   But their flight attendants are smoking.  

Edited by HimBadMan

The beauty of the Qatar flights that I looked at was short layovers - less than 3 hours each way!

As for the risk of a HKG shutdown on my Feb. return, United announced schedule cutbacks to Beijing, Shanghai AND Hong Kong. They claim it is due to substantially decreased demand.

THAT has me more concerned than anything. As an award ticket traveler, I think I’m shit outta luck & last in line if my flight is cancelled.

Okay....you guys can now THANK ME for ensuring that HKG airport will have NO issues....

I was able to find a Korean first class award on the night of the 17th, which cuts my trip short by one night, but gives me 2 options on my return.  My last night was booked on IHG points, so that's not an issue if the shit hits the fan and flights from HKG are restricted or cancelled.

Absolute CRAP flight times on the Korean flight, with a 9:45 layover at ICN (from 4:45 a.m. -- when NOTHING is open -- to 2:30 p.m.).

Given my CURSED luck, this means there will be NO issues with HKG and I just wasted $25.  It's like if I carry an umbrella, it will NOT rain....but if I leave my umbrella at home, expect a deluge!  555

This also paves the way for me to snag that Qatar itinerary in November....assuming it's still available! 

3 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Ha, yeah its 20% of miles flown.   Yeah my flight leaves sunday night at 8pm.  Get to Doha around midnight.  7 hour layover.    But their lounges are amazing.    And u can even hit the city around 1am. I did it before it was an amazing experience.      Also. If u have a biz class purchases ticket, they will let u buy access to their 1st class lounge for 150 bucks.  They have a spa, beds and Krug champagne  I'm for sure going to buy it on my leg home.

Think my flight is around 730am and I get into lax at 1pm ish on the 30th

PS.  A few years ago I did Korean 1st when they were a chase partner.  Ugh so subpar.   And their biz class seats are a joke.  Unless u fly their 787-8 with Apex suites.  Just a subpar experience imo.    But I understand u need to burn them before they devalue..  just dont have high expectations.   Their lounges in ICN. 1st and biz even suck.   But their flight attendants are smoking.  

I've got a 24-hour hold on the following:

- Leave LAX at 2:50 p.m.; arrive Doha 5:45 p.m. the next day; 2:40 layover; arrive Bangkok at 6:55 a.m. on Sat., Nov. 21 (gonna need an early check-in!)

- Leave Bangkok at 1:45 a.m. on Dec. 1 (gonna need a late checkout! 555); arrive Doha 5:25 a.m.; 2:20 layover; arrive LAX at 1:10 p.m. on the 1st

I'm leaning towards paying with my Citi Prestige instead of my AMEX.  Still get 5X points, both transfer to Singapore (but Citi also has EVA, which I REALLY want to try to book at 75k miles OW!), but the main factor is that I am hoping the refund from my LAX-Haikou and Haikou to Bangkok flights might process before the bill is due.  That $2k that would seriously reduce my outlay in March!  Also, the closing date for my Prestige is later than that for my AMEX Platinum.

I've done Korean before, and was unimpressed by their lounges.  Their lounge here at LAX is so far below Star Alliance and oneworld it isn't funny.

Unfortunately, if I have to jump to them for my return in mid-February, I'm gonna have to kill over 8 hours at ICN (factoring in time to get off of one plane and to board the other)

7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I've got a 24-hour hold on the following:

- Leave LAX at 2:50 p.m.; arrive Doha 5:45 p.m. the next day; 2:40 layover; arrive Bangkok at 6:55 a.m. on Sat., Nov. 21 (gonna need an early check-in!)

- Leave Bangkok at 1:45 a.m. on Dec. 1 (gonna need a late checkout! 555); arrive Doha 5:25 a.m.; 2:20 layover; arrive LAX at 1:10 p.m. on the 1st

I'm leaning towards paying with my Citi Prestige instead of my AMEX.  Still get 5X points, both transfer to Singapore (but Citi also has EVA, which I REALLY want to try to book at 75k miles OW!), but the main factor is that I am hoping the refund from my LAX-Haikou and Haikou to Bangkok flights might process before the bill is due.  That $2k that would seriously reduce my outlay in March!  Also, the closing date for my Prestige is later than that for my AMEX Platinum.

I've done Korean before, and was unimpressed by their lounges.  Their lounge here at LAX is so far below Star Alliance and oneworld it isn't funny.

Unfortunately, if I have to jump to them for my return in mid-February, I'm gonna have to kill over 8 hours at ICN (factoring in time to get off of one plane and to board the other)

Ha. Yeah that LAX Korean air lounge is pathetic. Even their 1st class side.    My fav LAX lounge is the star alliance by far,  if I'm flying OW which I usually do, I usually hang out at the AA flagship in term 4 for majority of my stay. I lost my top tier status last year, so use to just hang in the Qantas 1st class lounge.   But to me that lounge is blah...

Let me know if u book.  It's a great price.   

PS I'm on the exact departure flight as you LAX all the way to bkk.  Hahha

8 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Let me know if u book.  It's a great price.   

PS I'm on the exact departure flight as you LAX all the way to bkk.  Hahha

Just locked it down and selected my seats - reverse facing window seats, which SeatGuru shows as green.

11/19 - QR 740, connecting to QR 830

12/1 - QR 837, connecting to QR739

1st beer in the oneworld lounge at LAX is one me!  (they're still free, right?  5555)

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Just locked it down and selected my seats - reverse facing window seats, which SeatGuru shows as green.

11/19 - QR 740, connecting to QR 830

12/1 - QR 837, connecting to QR739

1st beer in the oneworld lounge at LAX is one me!  (they're still free, right?  5555)

Haha sure is!!  See you there.  Great deal too hard to pass up.

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

Haha sure is!!  See you there.  Great deal too hard to pass up.

The EQMs and EQDs are what pushed me over the top, but getting four Q-Suites flights is a pretty damn sweet perk!  Also, I like layovers of between 2 to 3 hours, so these were perfect.

FWIW, my first check was to see what a one-way ticket would run me.  It was roughly $3,400....vs $2,550 for RT!  55555

So...no cancellation of my trip by the government. Even better, first class CX is just me--this is a first for me...no pun intended.  Purser said a lot of F seats cancelled last minute. I might go seat hopping!

• Like 2

So...no cancellation of my trip by the government. Even better, first class CX is just me--this is a first for me...no pun intended.  Purser said a lot of F seats cancelled last minute. I might go seat hopping!

I just wasted another $24....

I booked Korean as a backup for my Cathay flight home on Feb 18, but the Korean flight was on the 17th.

I am COMPLETELY paranoid, and thought “as soon as I cancel Korean, my Cathay flight will get fucked!”

A seat opened today on a Korean flight on the 18th that leaves 4 hours AFTER my Cathay flight, so I switched to it.

$24+ change fee, but know I have fewer worries about somehow fucking myself! 5555

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaving BKK on May 25th,  I've been looking for an open J using AA miles.  Nothing has been open for months, so a booked an economy award home just to make sure I have a flight home.

The other day a Cathay Pacific 1st class seat opened up...  I've flown, CX F I think 3x in the past, and i always told myself I wont book it again because I would rather save the additional 40K Miles and fly J.

Well since J never opened, I booked it.  I havent flown it since they updated their IFE, bedding, and dining.   And it sure beats economy.   And also who knows if I'll ever get this opportunity again with CX slowly getting rid of F on many routes.  

Oh well....   we shall see how it goes.   Only bummer is I only have a 2hour layover in HKG.  Usually I like to have about 4 hours, so I can enjoy some nice champagne and shower  in the cabana suites in Wing 1st lounge. B 

Plus last time I flew home in was pissed they didnt serve krug vintage...    let's hope they redeem themselves for my 5/25 flight 

• Like 2

FWIW, I’m still playing it by ear on my Feb 18 flights.

REALLY don’t want to cancel Cathay first, but also not eager to fly through HKG right now.

7 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

FWIW, I’m still playing it by ear on my Feb 18 flights.

REALLY don’t want to cancel Cathay first, but also not eager to fly through HKG right now.

My buddy just flew through HKG yesterday, said it was a ghost town.   The cathay lounges removed a lot of public "Buffett" food options.  But he said food and service was readily available.  I wouldn't be too worried about it, just yet...

As mentioned before, I view this as a general "miles and points" thread, with the focus primarily upon mile rewards to Thailand.  In the vein, curious to see what the thoughts are on this:

I used to work for an organization and got a couple of credit cards (under my social security number) in the business' name.

After leaving the organization, the annual fees had been paid, but the cards will be coming up for renewal soon.

Closing the Chase Ink was a no brainer, as it added nothing that I didn't already have with my business Ink card.  Ditto with the Korean Air SkyPass card - it is virtually useless to me with upcoming devaluation.

BUT the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX presents an interesting question.  I think the annual fee is $129, but it comes with an annual free night (up to 35,000 Bonvoy points).  I just used last year's certificate for a night at the St Regis in Bangkok (depending on timing, it is either 35,000 or 40,000 points per night).  I think the fully-refundable rates would have been in the $250+ range the nights I stayed.

Since the card is not under a tax i.d. of the organization, I'm thinking that I should keep paying the annual fee to get that free night certificate.  I have a Chase Marriott card with my personal business, so they combine to get me 2 free nights, which tend to work well in Bangkok (St Regis already at 40,000/night when I arrive in November, but Sheraton Grande -- where I really want to stay -- is still within the 35,000 point cap).

Thoughts?

13 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

My buddy just flew through HKG yesterday, said it was a ghost town.   The cathay lounges removed a lot of public "Buffett" food options.  But he said food and service was readily available.  I wouldn't be too worried about it, just yet...

I actually didn't notice much difference transiting through HKG, save for everyone wearing a mask and spot check laser thermometers at transfer. Lounge seemed fairly  busy still and the food spread at the Pier First was identical as I've seen it before. There are definitely less people in HKG, but lesser to what are normally crazy capacity numbers--so kind of still busy. For instance, by HKG to BKK leg had the entire center rows of J empty, but the transfer checkpoint was actually longer than I recall it ever taking (and not due to temperature checking). 

All in all, none of it really impacted me though. I was kind of nervous myself, but after going through it, the issues seemed to be hyped so far. However, it would seem that the Coronavirus problem is only getting worse, so who knows how things will change in the weeks to come. 

The funniest impact (if you can call this funny) is seeing BG's wearing masks at the bars. I say this is funny because total Thai logic is applied. Mask on if you look Asian, but off if not. Like the Coronavirus can only be carried by Asians or only Asians come and go from mainland China. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I actually didn't notice much difference transiting through HKG, save for everyone wearing a mask and spot check laser thermometers at transfer. Lounge seemed fairly  busy still and the food spread at the Pier First was identical as I've seen it before. There are definitely less people in HKG, but lesser to what are normally crazy capacity numbers--so kind of still busy. For instance, by HKG to BKK leg had the entire center rows of J empty, but the transfer checkpoint was actually longer than I recall it ever taking (and not due to temperature checking). 

All in all, none of it really impacted me though. I was kind of nervous myself, but after going through it, the issues seemed to be hyped so far. However, it would seem that the Coronavirus problem is only getting worse, so who knows how things will change in the weeks to come. 

The funniest impact (if you can call this funny) is seeing BG's wearing masks at the bars. I say this is funny because total Thai logic is applied. Mask on if you look Asian, but off if not. Like the Coronavirus can only be carried by Asians or only Asians come and go from mainland China. 

How is it on ground without all the chinese tour groups?  I hear some say, the traffic is great, boats are empty and Koh larn is actually enjoyable 

22 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

How is it on ground without all the chinese tour groups?  I hear some say, the traffic is great, boats are empty and Koh larn is actually enjoyable 

Now that you mention it, there were certainly far less of those double-decker tour buses and flag tour groups. Never crossed the beach or second road so easily before, but that didn't even click in my brain until you said that. Maybe because I didn't even bother with Walking Street this trip, so I didn't get the full chinese parade experience. 

15 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

BUT the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX presents an interesting question.  I think the annual fee is $129, but it comes with an annual free night (up to 35,000 Bonvoy points).  I just used last year's certificate for a night at the St Regis in Bangkok (depending on timing, it is either 35,000 or 40,000 points per night).  I think the fully-refundable rates would have been in the $250+ range the nights I stayed.

Since the card is not under a tax i.d. of the organization, I'm thinking that I should keep paying the annual fee to get that free night certificate.  I have a Chase Marriott card with my personal business, so they combine to get me 2 free nights, which tend to work well in Bangkok (St Regis already at 40,000/night when I arrive in November, but Sheraton Grande -- where I really want to stay -- is still within the 35,000 point cap).

Thoughts?

As long as you utilize the free night when you would otherwise be paying over $129 for a room, it seems worth keeping to me. Especially since AMEX cards aren’t churnable. I differentiate between using it when you have an actual need versus staying in a Marriott overnight when you otherwise would be home were it not for the fact that you have a free room certificate to burn. I assume you’re doing the former. My niece tends to do the latter and by the time she eats out, pays for parking, etc., her free night has actually cost her money.

I’m probably going to cancel my IHG Premier when the year is up. This is because it is churnable and the value I can get out of a new sign-up bonus offsets the free night by a wide margin. I keep my current IHG Select because it no longer is churnable (I have churned it in the past) and $49 for a free night and platinum status is a great deal imo.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

As mentioned before, I view this as a general "miles and points" thread, with the focus primarily upon mile rewards to Thailand.  In the vein, curious to see what the thoughts are on this:

I used to work for an organization and got a couple of credit cards (under my social security number) in the business' name.

After leaving the organization, the annual fees had been paid, but the cards will be coming up for renewal soon.

Closing the Chase Ink was a no brainer, as it added nothing that I didn't already have with my business Ink card.  Ditto with the Korean Air SkyPass card - it is virtually useless to me with upcoming devaluation.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about this as well.  I signed it for the amex bonvoy card last year for the 100K sign up bonus.     Amex cut benefits like the boingo wifi that I did find value you.

Yes, my decisions like yours are based on SE Asia travel not US domestic,  as the value in the US isnt that good.

I recently read that marriott once again changed redemption rates last week, but I havent checked it impacted any BKK hotels yet?

Also is the ST Regis the best hotel in BKK at the 35K rate?

I have about 525K marriott miles.  That I'm not sure what I want to do with.   I originally wanted to transfer them to alaska mileage to try emirate 1st class DXB to the US in 1st class.

Then I thought it would be amazing to try an overwater bungalow one day,  but the more I read the Maldivesx etc dont seem for me.  Super expensive for the private flights and heard quite boring..

I dont think I want to use them for hotel stays since I'm quite happy with 3 star hotels when I travel ..

Any suggestions?      

But back to your point.  I'll most likely keep my amex bonvoy card, as long as I get more than 129 buck value, by staying at a nice hotel.

The St Regis was VERY nice! I think the Sheraton is in a better location. Both are Category 5, which means they float between 35,000 to 40,000 points per night. St. Regis May have even dropped to 30,000 for one of my nights.
I had a girl all 3 nights, but was not stopped for ID.
The food is pricey, but they offer 3 free cleaning/pressed items a day (I think).
I got upgraded to a corner room. Here are some photos.
Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The St Regis was VERY nice! I think the Sheraton is in a better location. Both are Category 5, which means they float between 35,000 to 40,000 points per night. St. Regis May have even dropped to 30,000 for one of my nights.
The food is pricey, but they offer 3 free cleaning/pressed items a day (I think).
Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

That looks awesome. I always tell myself that I just sleep (and other things...) in the room, so it isn't that important to me, but man...that looks really nice! Maybe I'll finally dive into the hotel game. Question: Do you pull the blinds down for a shower or just go at it like that?

As for churning in general--just noticed Amex has a 100k Delta co-branded Platinum and Reserve cards. Both are 80k on $3k spend in 3 months, with 20k at anniversary. Worth it? I'm rarely on Delta, but that 100k is calling my name. The plat also has a semi-reasonable fee of $250. I don't think I need another top tier AF card, so that one might be the one for me. 

That looks awesome. I always tell myself that I just sleep (and other things...) in the room, so it isn't that important to me, but man...that looks really nice! Maybe I'll finally dive into the hotel game. Question: Do you pull the blinds down for a shower or just go at it like that?
As for churning in general--just noticed Amex has a 100k Delta co-branded Platinum and Reserve cards. Both are 80k on $3k spend in 3 months, with 20k at anniversary. Worth it? I'm rarely on Delta, but that 100k is calling my name. The plat also has a semi-reasonable fee of $250. I don't think I need another top tier AF card, so that one might be the one for me. 

I’m a bad person to ask, because I avoid Delta like the plague....or the coronavirus!

I only opened the curtains for the photo - didn’t want to traumatize any golfers! 5555

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Delta is my favorite domestic carrier to fly on, although not my favorite domestic FF program. That being said, United and American have been following their lead wrt FF programs. It’s been several years since I last used an Delta award which was on Delta/Korean. Sometimes, the connecting domestic Delta flight would greatly increase the award cost and I’d buy my own positioning flight instead. So, you have to play around with things. Korean flies from BOS now. So, that’s another one-stop option between BOS and BKK.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I recognize that view of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club well as I stayed a while in a condo nearby with a similar view. That room looks great. I never stayed there but have stayed in the Sheraton Grande before Starwood got pulled into Marriott. I actually prefer the St Regis neighborhood to the Sheraton’s. I find lower Sukhumvit too congested with the crowded sidewalks and traffic. Even the fumes from autos, buses and motos seem worse there. I typically stay in Bangkok for 10-14 days at a time and I think those things become more noticeable then versus just staying for a few days. For a quick mongering trip though, the Sheraton’s location is pretty sweet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Delta is my favorite domestic carrier to fly on, although not my favorite domestic FF program. That being said, United and American have been following their lead wrt FF programs. It’s been several years since I last used an Delta award which was on Delta/Korean. Sometimes, the connecting domestic Delta flight would greatly increase the award cost and I’d buy my own positioning flight instead. So, you have to play around with things. Korean flies from BOS now. So, that’s another one-stop option between BOS and BKK.

I'm a complete idiot. For whatever stupid reason, I was reading that bonus as MR's, not Delta miles. Much less attractive to me for Delta miles. WTF was I thinking?