IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

I believe you already have the CIti Prestige card, if not it's certainly worth a look.

For me it's s$500 SGD +GST (total s$535) annual fee but for that I get enough miles to cover an (economy) return flight SIN-BKK  on SIA (worth s$3-500 SGD) & unlimited Priority Pass lounge access for 2 people (worth approx s$40 a visit, I was using it 4-6 times a month so soon got my money's worth). 

Plus 4th night free in hotels booked through their concierge & other benefits I've never used (worldwide free Boingo WIFI etc...) 

Love my Prestige card, but disappointed that they REALLY fucked up the 4th night free perk (although I just used it 2 weeks ago in Pattaya)

Nice 1:1 transfers to EVA and Singapore!

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

Same. Tax time so looking for card..

Thinking about the  chase united card.  The $450 fee card.  Although, I try just to have one premium card my CSR.  They have a good sig up offer of 70K United Miles,  plus I have a flight booked on EVA on PE for my Sept trip that will credit to mu united account.  So I should be at the 90K UA miles which is good for a biz seat.

Also, I like that this card will give me access to star alliance biz class lounge in LAX which I like more than the OW Biz lounge and the Qantas F lounge.     Although I hate the 450 fee.  I di like that sign up bonus. ... I need to make a decision this week 

I thought it was the United personal card (which I have had), but it was a new United Business Card that is offering 100,000 United miles with a $10,000 minimum spend.  Since it is being advertised as a "new" card, I am fairly certain that I have not had it in the past.

I need to do my taxes asap to see how realistic that would be, as 100,000 United miles is worth a LOT more than 150,000 or so Hilton points!

There are 2 United Business cards, with both offering 100,000 miles.  One is only $95 and includes 2 United Club passes; the other is $450, but includes United Club access and access to "participating Star Alliance lounges."

....a dark horse has emerged!  5555

EDIT:

Be sure to read the fine print. 

Starting last November, even those with United Club membership are allowed access ONLY if they have a same day ticket on United, another Star Alliance carrier or other "contracted carriers" (whoever that may be) - see #1 under Admittance: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/airport/united-club-and-lounges/rules.html

That pretty much guts its value to me.  I love the Star Alliance lounge at LAX and would've hopped over there from Terminal 4 or 5 before my AA flights.  United is at Terminal 7 at LAX, which is a LONG haul from Bradley.  When I am flying Star Alliance carriers at Bradley, I am in business class 90% of the time, so I already would have lounge access.

This has bumped the $450 annual fee card from consideration....but still looking at the $95 annual fee option!

It carries 2 one-time use passes (subject to those restrictions and NOT valid for the Star Alliance lounge), but also earns 2 miles per USD on United purchases, taxis, mass transit, rideshare apps, gas stations, office supply stores and restaurants.

Of those taxis (perhaps) and gas stations would be possibilities for me.  My Chase Ink gets me 5X at office supply and transfers to United 1:1.  My Prestige gets 5X at restaurants, so it is mo "go to" dining card; Prestige also gets me 5X on airfare.  Taxis/rideshare is only a "perhaps" because my AMEX Green gets me 3X on them.

11 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Love my Prestige card, but disappointed that they REALLY fucked up the 4th night free perk (although I just used it 2 weeks ago in Pattaya)

Nice 1:1 transfers to EVA and Singapore!

I thought it was the United personal card (which I have had), but it was a new United Business Card that is offering 100,000 United miles with a $10,000 minimum spend.  Since it is being advertised as a "new" card, I am fairly certain that I have not had it in the past.

I need to do my taxes asap to see how realistic that would be, as 100,000 United miles is worth a LOT more than 150,000 or so Hilton points!

There are 2 United Business cards, with both offering 100,000 miles.  One is only $95 and includes 2 United Club passes; the other is $450, but includes United Club access and access to "participating Star Alliance lounges."

....a dark horse has emerged!  5555

EDIT:

Be sure to read the fine print. 

Starting last November, even those with United Club membership are allowed access ONLY if they have a same day ticket on United, another Star Alliance carrier or other "contracted carriers" (whoever that may be) - see #1 under Admittance: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/airport/united-club-and-lounges/rules.html

That pretty much guts its value to me.  I love the Star Alliance lounge at LAX and would've hopped over there from Terminal 4 or 5 before my AA flights.  United is at Terminal 7 at LAX, which is a LONG haul from Bradley.  When I am flying Star Alliance carriers at Bradley, I am in business class 90% of the time, so I already would have lounge access.

This has bumped the $450 annual fee card from consideration....but still looking at the $95 annual fee option!

It carries 2 one-time use passes (subject to those restrictions and NOT valid for the Star Alliance lounge), but also earns 2 miles per USD on United purchases, taxis, mass transit, rideshare apps, gas stations, office supply stores and restaurants.

Of those taxis (perhaps) and gas stations would be possibilities for me.  My Chase Ink gets me 5X at office supply and transfers to United 1:1.  My Prestige gets 5X at restaurants, so it is mo "go to" dining card; Prestige also gets me 5X on airfare.  Taxis/rideshare is only a "perhaps" because my AMEX Green gets me 3X on them.

Yeah totally agree with you in the United club pass.  The 450 is steep, and the only reason I'm considering it is because star alliance has some amazing PE prices.  For example my PE flight from LaX to BKK via EVA in sept was $1000,  oneworl carriers are typically $1700.  So the card will give me lounge access which is important to me..

But I'll easily qualify for OW sapphire for 2021 with that great Qatar biz flights we booked.  So In 2021 I might just start booking best deals instead of staying loyal to AA...    and star alliance consistently has better deals ,  like EVA and Singapore usually have great PE seats for 1100 consistently 

14 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

- Chase Sapphire Reserve - it carries a MUCH higher annual fee and only nets 50,000 Chase UR vs 60,000 for CSP for the same minimum spend.  I was hoping that the 100,000 UR offer would come back, but recently read there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.  Apparently, Chase lost it's ass the first time around and the person in charge of the program even got canned over it!  555

Chase's mistake was offering the 100k to everyone instead of sending out targeted 100k or even "secret link" 100K. That's because they inadvertently signed up too many churners who spend the minimum bonus requirement, take the $300 travel credit, and dumped the card before AF triggers. The 100k was for a splash entrance with the goal of long term retention, so definitely an "oops" moment for their executive team. 

With that being said, I wouldn't be completely surprised if there was a future method of getting 100k again, but not an open invitation to the world like the first time. There was a point in time where I read success stories from people signing up in-branch to get the 100k after the fact, but that method dried up. Maybe that's me just being optimistic, but I kind of relate this to Amex Plat 100k. People say it's never coming back, then like every 2-3 years or so it comes back. 

All in all though, I think the Preferred makes more sense at the moment. Many of the Reserve perks overlap my other cards and don't stack. Amex Gold is currently killing it for restaurants, so the 3X on Reserve is easily beaten there. The $300 travel credit is nice, but at $550 AF now, you still have to justify $250 over the $95 of the Preferred. I don't think it adds up at the moment if you have other top tier cards. If for purposes of just churning for bonus points, I think I'd grab the 60k. 

On a separate note, got a new offer from Citi. I have an AA plat with them. They offered me some weird new savings account that comes with new money bonuses. Up to 50k AA miles for a $200k deposit. 1.5 APY. Nothing spectacular, but interesting. Never seen this before. Also got a weird CX credit card offer, but I think CX things I live in HKG. 80k bonus, but with weird stipulations about HKG spend. Regardless, I'm not biting on a CX card again after they burned me for like 25k points on unrealized signup bonus. About a dozen emails to their customer service and like 5 phone calls. Kept on going back to square one, so I eventually gave up. 

Another miles-earning opportunity that I may take advantage of:  https://viewfromthewing.com/last-chance-for-bask-bank-5000-mile-initial-bonus-offer/

Basically, deposit $1,000 to open an online bank account, and you'll get 5,000 AA miles.  If I understand it correctly, each month,  the account earns "interest" in the form of 1 AA mile per USD in the savings account.

There are also bonus opps, including taking a brief survey for another 1,000 miles.

I'm debating whether it is worth locking up $1,000 for a little while to get 6,000 (or more) AA miles, but, since the risk appears minimal (FDIC insured and money can withdrawn/account closed), I will probably start the process today.

Here is a link to their promo video (on YouTube):  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Another miles-earning opportunity that I may take advantage of:  https://viewfromthewing.com/last-chance-for-bask-bank-5000-mile-initial-bonus-offer/

Basically, deposit $1,000 to open an online bank account, and you'll get 5,000 AA miles.  If I understand it correctly, each month,  the account earns "interest" in the form of 1 AA mile per USD in the savings account.

There are also bonus opps, including taking a brief survey for another 1,000 miles.

I'm debating whether it is worth locking up $1,000 for a little while to get 6,000 (or more) AA miles, but, since the risk appears minimal (FDIC insured and money can withdrawn/account closed), I will probably start the process today.

Here is a link to their promo video (on YouTube):  

Not bad! I don't mind parking $1k there for a while for free miles. Given the pittance of US interest rates these days, miles actually look attractive. Thanks for the tip!

41 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Not bad! I don't mind parking $1k there for a while for free miles. Given the pittance of US interest rates these days, miles actually look attractive. Thanks for the tip!

Took less than 5 minutes to open and fund the account (took me a little monger b/c I forgot the password for my linked account!).  I just parked $1,000 for the bonus miles.

I have NOT seen the offer for 1,000 bonus miles for giving them feedback, as mentioned in the blog.  I will do that as soon as I can find it!  5555

I think I misunderstood the number of miles you earn.  I thought it was 1 mile per USD per month.  After watching the video, I now think that it is per YEAR, so presumably, you get 1/12 of 1 mile per USD each month.

Not great, but still not bad for relatively zero risk.

• Like 1

Got a weird (weird-good) email from Cathay Pacific. Something, something Coronavirus affecting travel, something-something we're sorry, here's 10 free MPC points per month for each month of Feb, Mar, Apr 2020 for being a loyal flyer. The irony here is that I'm a loyal award flyer, having only ever purchased one actual itinerary from them in the last 8 years of award travel. 

I was about to dismiss a measly 30 points as a terrible afterthought of a PR campaign, but I looked up the MPC award chart just for giggles and saw that one could fly one-way HGK-BKK for 30 MPC points in business class. Could also go several ultra-short haul in Y for 5 points each way. Their chart range is like 5-140 points  So that's actually a good gift of miles. Might want to keep an eye out for this email if you're MPC. 

Edited by Little Evil
  • Like 2

Perhaps this was a targeted offer, but worth checking for nonetheless if you have a Chase Ink card that nets you bonus UR for office supply purchases.

Staples has their "fee free" $200 Visa GC offer running again this week, which is a quick 1,000 UR using my Chase Ink card.

The potentially-targeted part is that my Chase "Offers" (available online when reviewing your Ink account) include one for $20 off when you spend $100 at Staples.  I don't see any GC limitations on it, but I will likely toss another office supply item on, just so it won;t be an even $200 charge.

Assuming it works, that's a $200 Visa GC for only $180.

I don't think that the UR will be reduced based on the statement credit, but not sure on that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Perhaps this was a targeted offer, but worth checking for nonetheless if you have a Chase Ink card that nets you bonus UR for office supply purchases.

Staples has their "fee free" $200 Visa GC offer running again this week, which is a quick 1,000 UR using my Chase Ink card.

The potentially-targeted part is that my Chase "Offers" (available online when reviewing your Ink account) include one for $20 off when you spend $100 at Staples.  I don't see any GC limitations on it, but I will likely toss another office supply item on, just so it won;t be an even $200 charge.

I don't think that the UR will be reduced based on the statement credit, but not sure on that.

Nice. I never get anything compelling under by Chase Reserve card. Maybe 10% off here and there, but nothing that can be spun into meaningful points.  Looks like those offers are for the biz card only. 

A couple of Korean Air notes

I just posted in the coronavirus thread how I NARROWLY missed being on the same flgiht as an infected KE flgiht attendant....YIKES!  I changed my flgiht the day the before to avoid an 8-hour layover in Seoul....and to get ANOTHER lay over to my room in Pattaya!  5555  That change kept me from being on KE017 on February 19 -- the flight that a possibly-infected KE flight attendant was servicing.  Yikes!

....and to think that I thought the worst part about my Korean Air experience was THIS damn K-Pop safety video that I had to endure on both flights!  55555 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I just posted in the coronavirus thread how I NARROWLY missed being on the same flgiht as an infected KE flgiht attendant....YIKES!  I changed my flgiht the day the before to avoid an 8-hour layover in Seoul....and to get ANOTHER lay over to my room in Pattaya!  5555  That change kept me from being on KE017 on February 19 -- the flight that a possibly-infected KE flight attendant was servicing.  Yikes!

....and to think that I thought the worst part about my Korean Air experience was THIS damn K-Pop safety video that I had to endure on both flights!  55555 

Yikes...I know Korea is proud of their K-pop and all, but to force it on us "oekuk-saram" is a bit much. Gad you avoided that flight. Reminds me of the time I missed a ferry which I found out at a later point sunk mid trip.

On an unrelated note: Amex, possibly targeted, Gold/Plat opt-in offer for Cable/Satellite TV payments. Spend $90 or more and get 500 MR's up to 4 times through July 2020. Seems like an easy 2k with my auto payments for Xfinity.

13 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I felt the same each time I have seen the K-Pop safety video, and they wonder why you don't pay attention.

I'm booked going with a connection with Korean Air that could now be a 16 hour layover if they again cancel that first flight in the morning from ICN to BKK

I just got on Korean Air website and just put in my booked ticket schedule with Delta on  my flights from Korea April 13th to Thailand and return on 29th April and got a message can't book because of the "you know what" situation.

Not looking good going through Korea to get there from the US.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

OFFER ALERT:

If you have a Citi Prestige, be sure to check your mail (physical mail, not email) for an offer that just came in - it includes a code to get 5X spend through May 31, 2020 at:
 - grocery stores;
 - gas stations;
 - drugstores; and
 - mass transit and commuter transportation vendors.

The only downside is that it is limited to/capped at 2,500 points (so $500 spend).

I'm really happy with this deal, because I struggle with a way to maximize my grocery purchases (although I effectively get 5X Chase UR now by buying $200 Visa GCs when on sale at Staples and just using them) and especially my drugstore purchases (co-pay on my monthly meds is $75-100).

I work from home, so a tank of gas lasts me forever.  I also don't use mass transit, so those two categories have less value to me than they may to others 

Given tax season, the actual purchase of my ticket to LOS in November (as opposed to using miles) and my spending spree in Pattaya earlier this month, funds are a little tighter than usual, but I'm planning to keep an eye on this spending, and, as the May deadline approaches, I will jump on a Vons gift card to max it out.  If I had not spent like a drunken sailor in Pattaya earlier this month, I probably would have just gotten a couple of $200 Vons GCs right away, then used my meds co-pay to easily hit it.

EDIT:  Just got an email for it today, so ti is being sent by both snail mail and email

Funny skit from last night's SNL that frequent travelers may appreciate:

I'm really thinking about upgrading to at least premium accom this time round, the flight there was driving me a bit ting tong towards the end although the flight, anyone fly premium on EVA? Is it worth it? Business seems like a waste when the money would be like half of my trip budget extra when I could put that money to better use lol.

I mean, £500 direct with EVA is already a good deal imo, the only cheaper I have seen is a BA flight for £470 although shit depart time for me and ofc the Southern China £330 with stopovers which I don't want.

3 hours ago, HateFlying said:

I'm really thinking about upgrading to at least premium accom this time round, the flight there was driving me a bit ting tong towards the end although the flight, anyone fly premium on EVA? Is it worth it? Business seems like a waste when the money would be like half of my trip budget extra when I could put that money to better use lol.

I mean, £500 direct with EVA is already a good deal imo, the only cheaper I have seen is a BA flight for £470 although shit depart time for me and ofc the Southern China £330 with stopovers which I don't want.

I've only flown EVA biz class,  but I purchased a PE ticket for my Sept trip cause price was too good to pass.    Their PE is solid.   Not the best.   But the worst ..   but solid and it's not economy. 

Looks very similar to CX PE, so I'd say worth it over economy. Slightly wider seat. More recline. Boarding and de-playing a bit faster. Better food options (although EVA was rough even up front, last I recall). The only downside to their layout I see is not having a dedicated cabin bathroom, but I suppose that might be good as well with less noise. 

The question though is the seat selection gamble. Bulkhead for the leg rests, but the gamble being maybe there's a baby in the row? It appears EVA PE only has leg rests in the front row. Aisle seat for no step-over access to lav, but then you're being potentially stepped over while sleeping? Minor issues though. I'd just avoid the middle two seats. 

I also have not flown EVA PE, but it looks pretty good. I suggest checking SeatGuru, as I have read of under seat IFE boxes that can impact leg room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have flown EVA PE - although now that their flights out of YVR have been switched to the 787, probably won’t get to do so in the future. 

Definitely better than Economy, but I go back and forth as to whether it’s worth the extra cost. 

TB-ES

On 24/02/2020 at 16:19, Luv2Phuket said:

It's that time of the year again.....TAX TIME!  Which also means it is "get a new credit card & score bonus points/miles when I pay my taxes!" time!  5555

I am sadly running out of viable card options due to increasing limits on past churning.

I have started the application process, but sadly NOT getting the immediate approvals I like to see!

I decided to pass on the United card -- 100,000 miles was intriguing, but (luckily!) my tax bill will not be near the $10,000 minimum spend this year.

First app was AMEX Hilton.  I have a number of AMEX cards, so wasn't all that surprised when it went to "additional review."  I have one useless no-fee card account that I want to close anyway, so I called, expecting to drop it to add the Hilton card, but was told by the Rep that I already had been approved.

Second app was B of A Alaska card.  I was a little surprised that it went to additional review.  I have had multiple B of A cards in the past, but am now down to only one.  It has a balance on it (0%), but I cleared it out earlier this morning.

I got some hassles from B of A when I tried to get the Alaska Business card. They wanted tax returns, and I think that's a little intrusive, given that nobody else asks for them, so I let that application die in the water.  Maybe that's the holdup?

I may call the reconsideration line -- usually it is easy to get approval even in the worst of situations by transferring credit from my existing line.

Worst case scenario, I just put it all of my taxes on my new AMEX Hilton and rack up even more Hilton points (and move closer to the free night for $15,000 spend), but I realized the Alaska bonus works very well, assuming they don't gut their award chart soon.  After the refund of my Cathay first ticket, I am sitting at 77,000+ Alaska miles.  The 40,000 bonus miles + the miles from the $2000 minimum spend should put me right at/just over 120,000 miles, which equates to a OW first and a OW biz class ticket to/from BKK.

Side note: AMEX is offering a bonus on MR transferred to Hilton through April 14.  Targeted, but, if you get it, it is 3 Honors points per MR (instead of the usual 2).

NOT a great use of MRs, but I'm considering moving a few to bump my Honors account back to where I need it.

EDIT:
Just got email notice from B of A that my Alaska card app was approved, so no need to call or to offer to move existing credit over!

Net result is that by paying my taxes on these 2 cards (and incurring the 1.85% fee), I should be adding around 135,000 Hilton Honors points and 42,000 Alaska miles.

On 26/02/2020 at 11:53, Luv2Phuket said:

Update on this -- got an email today stating that I will get a $20 credit on my next statement.  The full Staples card shows as office supplies, so I still expect to get the full 1000 UR.

After debating bulkhead or no bulkhead in PE or economy I decided bulkhead is better most of the time simply because there's nobody reclining into you.  Some of the time if you check the length to the bulkhead it's unusually short so check seatguru for details.  On a long haul widebodies that is usually not the case though.  

Has anybody noticed that plane ticket prices anywhere have not really dropped yet??  I see some very good economy sale prices here and there but overall it looks the same to me as it did late last year for PE and Biz. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wdogg said:

After debating bulkhead or no bulkhead in PE or economy I decided bulkhead is better most of the time simply because there's nobody reclining into you.  Some of the time if you check the length to the bulkhead it's unusually short so check seatguru for details.  On a long haul widebodies that is usually not the case though.  

Has anybody noticed that plane ticket prices anywhere have not really dropped yet??  I see some very good economy sale prices here and there but overall it looks the same to me as it did late last year for PE and Biz. 

The bulkhead PE seats do appear to have a little more leg room. This photo shows what appears to be more than 2 windows, which is slightly better than the typical 1.75 windows of the rest of the seats. Probably a good 8-10 inches off the end of the leg rest. 

IMG_0204.jpg?resize=584,438&ssl=1

Regarding pricing: I hear ya. I've been tracking non-award flights for a May get away to SJO. If anything, prices seem higher than normal. 

Be sure to read the user reviews on SeatGuru, especially on bulkhead center section seats. On some planes, people use it as an aisle to get from one side of the plane to the other. It would be a pain in the ass to have people stumbling over your feet the whole flight! 555

Those side section bulkhead seats look REALLY good!

• Like 1

Just now, Luv2Phuket said:

Be sure to read the user reviews on SeatGuru, especially on bulkhead center section seats. On some planes, people use it as an aisle to get from one side of the plane to the other. It would be a pain in the ass to have people stumbling over your feet the whole flight! 555

Those side section bulkhead seats look REALLY good!

555--I was about to comment on that myself. I actually typed it out, but erased it. I feel like that problem presents itself more when there's a bathroom on one side of the mini-cabin like CX. Saw people trying to scoot between the leg rests and bulkheads of the front row because FA were trying to make people use that one bathroom in PE. When people are sitting upright, it is doable. When people are reclined fully with the leg rests, it is super annoying.  So everyone on the left side of the plane either had to walk all the way back through regular economy to use those bathrooms or try to scoot between the front row.  If EVA doesn't have a bathroom in the cabin, then I'd imagine you'd have less of that.