IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

2 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

They old 777 biz seats get a bad rep,  but they are very spacious and imo comfortable, especially for a 7 hr flight to bkk...   I like taking the a380 to bkk because I enjoy their bar on board.  And I'm just an a380 fanatic 

I could have sworn that I booked the a350-900 on the route with the old seats to try something different since the rest of the flights were on 777s. Guess it was an equipment swap along the way.

On 16/11/2019 at 22:11, Luv2Phuket said:

I assume you have fixed this issue long before now, but, just in case, Marriott is selling points at a 30% discount, if you buy a minimum 2,000 points:

https://onemileatatime.com/buy-marriott-points/

Good tip there. I actually didn't pull the trigger on that last minute escape over the holiday weekend. I'm being a total tightass about it, but basically not figuring out a free or near free method to net that last 70 miles before the trip made the decision for me. Decided I'll just wait out the next 75 days until my next excursion and save the cash I would have spent on that long weekend for the next big trip. Now, if I can just survive the holiday craziness and make it to the end of January, I'm set up for a decent holiday. CX F locked in already for the way out. Waitlist on the way back, but we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Good tip there. I actually didn't pull the trigger on that last minute escape over the holiday weekend. I'm being a total tightass about it, but basically not figuring out a free or near free method to net that last 70 miles before the trip made the decision for me. Decided I'll just wait out the next 75 days until my next excursion and save the cash I would have spent on that long weekend for the next big trip. Now, if I can just survive the holiday craziness and make it to the end of January, I'm set up for a decent holiday. CX F locked in already for the way out. Waitlist on the way back, but we'll see. 

If no rush, then an online purchase via AA Shopping Portal should easily get you those miles.  Might as well knock it out, so the miles are there and waiting for when you DO want to use them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

If no rush, then an online purchase via AA Shopping Portal should easily get you those miles.  Might as well knock it out, so the miles are there and waiting for when you DO want to use them.

I'll probably clear it with my next electric bill. Using an energy supplier who gives points. Signed up back when they dropped 10k AA miles for sign up. Haven't done the math on if I'm still coming out on top, as I'm sure their pricing is a pinch higher than standard, but I honestly fear the lengthy telephone call to switch it back to the regular local supplier.

I'm in no rush anymore. I was trying to sneak away for the last 3 day weekend to Central America, but that came and went and I couldn't be asked to buy more miles just for that impromptu trip. If that were, say, a LoS excursion, I definitely would have just bought the miles in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

CX gave me Green Marco Polo Club out of nowhere. It is basically meaningless, like the lowest tier US carrier level. However, they know how to get one's attention. Three member cards, two of which have metal luggage cases with metal hangers. 

20191122_193831.jpg

• Like 2

Not quite under $2k, but I got RT business class on JAL next July for $2200 using an Amex platinum IAP fare. I'll figure out late if I want to credit to AA or Alaska

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I booked next summer's trip a couple of days ago using AA miles on CX. There was some concern expressed earlier by @Luv2Phuket, that being able to book CX directly on AA's website now might hurt availability. Well, J was somewhat tight. I would have had to shift from my desired dates and take a less favorable routing, but it was workable. On the other hand, I never saw so much F availablity. My desired routing (BOS-HKG-BKK) was available in F for my preferred dates and plenty of other dates as well. So, I splurged.

I usually book my November trip 11 mos. in advance, so I’ll be checking AA’s website sometime next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Check your AMEX Offers (I do it religiously!  555)

This month, I got one for 4 extra MR on Amazon purchases (so 5 MR per USD), up to 1,500 MR.  So $300 Amazon spend by 12/31/19 should max it out.

Like last time, I'll probably buy some odds and ends, and then top off my AMEX gift card balance to hit the $300 spend.

EDIT:
Well, that was fast!  I've already rung up $142 on some fiber gummies, vitamins, Crystal Light packets and protein bars!  5555

MORE AMEX new: they are offering a 30% bonus on the transfer of MR to Virgin Atlantic.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-express-transfer-bonus-to-virgin-atlantic/

As noted in the blog, the appeal of Virgin Atlantic is their absurd 110,000 mile RT FIRST class awards on ANA between the West Coast and Japan.  The additional trip from Japan to BKK would have to be booked separately.  For comparison, I checked an AA does JAL RT in business class from Tokyo to BKK at 30,000 miles each way (United's booking system was down).

Factoring in the 30% bonus, that would be around 85,000 MR for RT first class between LAX and Tokyo.  I have 7,000 VA miles, so I would be looking at a transfer of 80,000 MR (for 104,000 VA miles) to get me there.  Plus, I would need to separately book the 60,000 AA to get from Tokyo to BKK (maybe overnight stays or at least VERY long layovers, as they would separate itineraries).

While intriguing, I think I'm going to hold off for the time being.

Actually, after looking, it turns out I only have a shade over 68,000 AMEX MR, so couldn't move the 80,000 if I wanted to.

The good news (for me) is that I thought the 95,000 SQ miles in my account were the ones used for my trip last month, but, when I checked today, my balance is still at 95,000.

My AA accountis now closing in on 600,000 miles (so a priority to use them for my next few trips), while my hotel accounts are all pretty high - 240k+ in Hilton, 315k in Marriott and 460k in IHG (despite using 95,000 last month)

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

As noted in the blog, the appeal of Virgin Atlantic is their absurd 110,000 mile RT FIRST class awards on ANA between the West Coast and Japan.  The additional trip from Japan to BKK would have to be booked separately.  For comparison, I checked an AA does JAL RT in business class from Tokyo to BKK at 30,000 miles each way (United's booking system was down).

You can also do that JAL business class from Tokyo to BKK for 37,500 BA Avios each way. It's a bigger number, but not all points are created equal. If you value BA Avios less than AA miles or happen to have some Avios that you can't put to better use, might be something to consider.

You can also do that JAL business class from Tokyo to BKK for 37,500 BA Avios each way. It's a bigger number, but not all points are created equal. If you value BA Avios less than AA miles or happen to have some Avios that you can't put to better use, might be something to consider.

GREAT tip! I have almost 65k Avios from a Chase card a few years ago. The bloggers said BA is a good way to book AA here, but I have never found a way to use those miles.

Hi,

I just discovered this thread ! I have taken over 20 award trips but have only used AA, Delta, and Korean  websites and CS. I also

read about the great deal on awards ANA flights booked thru V-A. The blog I read said use the UA site to search for availability.

Here is my dumb question-555. How exactly do you do it ? I went to site and entered ORD or JFK to NRT and could not find ANA.

I would hate to use an award booker because I enjoy the doing it myself.

I will now start reading this thread everyday and will be glad to help anyone with my limited knowledge of the Miles game.

FYI, on my last trip in Aug I flew with Qatar and agree the Q-Suites hard product is almost comparable to a First class seat. 

I was most impressed with the on board service. Comparable IMO to JL and Korean first class service. Food and ICE was

only ok. 

My next trip in Mar,2020 booked using AA. I did not want to fly thru HK and was surprised to see JL really open up their

availability. Got a RT award- JL- ORD-NRT-BKK. Return JL-BKK-NRT-LAX.

Would really appreciate any help with finding award space with ANA because I will have the points by the end of Dec.

Chukar

@chukar I would search for HND or Tokyo (to get both airports) rather than just NRT (link). I have seen ANA award flights when searching on UA’s website. So if something is available, you should see it.

Nice that you got JAL for March. When I was looking at award flights for my trip next summer, I couldn’t find anything with JAL. Maybe the Olympics taking place in Tokyo has something to do with it. I did find something suitable on CX and went with that.

bgtp,

Hey Thanks,

Ok I will check  HND. AA has spoiled me with so many easy Bonus Miles and great CS on help booking awards I have

gotten lazy. Yes, I was surprised how easy it was for my to find 2 great flights and it only took 3-4 calls. Although I booked

these flights back in Sept, immediately after I got home from  my Aug trip-555. I am retired so I have max flexibility and 

usually makes it easier for me to find awards.

Another Question- Is there an ExpertFlyer used here ? Another tool I just discovered. Is it good and worth the $$ ?

I agree that you are better off searching "Tokyo," as that picks up both NRT and HND.  HND seems to be opening up more slots.

I just flew through NRT.  Not a big fan of that airport, although the AA Admiral's Club was the best that I have seen (which isn't saying much, since the ones here in the USA suck!  555).  That said, I'm pretty sure that I read that they are closing it, and opening one at HND, as they are getting more HND slots.

I have used United to search for Star Alliance availability (ANA is in Star Alliance), but don't know how to track it down to the individual airlines.  Aeroplan is another great tool for searching Star Alliance availability.

I tried Expert Flyer, but don't really fly enough to use it.  I also have the KVS Tool, but haven't mastered it yet.

My issue with JL is the time of the departing flight from BKK.  I just took it and the 8 a.m. departure REALLY sucked!  It basically killed my last night.  I went to Nana and saw some pretty girls, but thought "shit....I gotta get up in about 6 hours for my flight!" and didn't BF anyone.

11 hours ago, chukar said:

...I just discovered this thread ! I have taken over 20 award trips but have only used AA, Delta, and Korean  websites and CS. ...

My next trip in Mar,2020 booked using AA. I did not want to fly thru HK and was surprised to see JL really open up their availability. Got a RT award- JL- ORD-NRT-BKK. Return JL-BKK-NRT-LAX...

Please recheck your AA award flights for JL because effective 3/29/20,  JL changed several of their USA-NRT flights to USA-HND, keeping the same flight number.   It affected my AA award flight that I booked on JL from DFW-NRT-BKK since the JL11 from DFW-NRT was changed to DFW-HND and AA did not inform me of the airport change in Tokyo (JL flight number did not change) which left me 4hr to change airports which was not enough time to clear immigrations and catch the Airport Limo bus.

I found out of the JL airport change by reading the blog below.  I too wanted to avoid HKG, but there were no JL flights available after I found out about the change but AA opened up their DFW-NRT flight to keep me from switching Tokyo airports.

https://onemileatatime.com/japan-airlines-haneda-flights/

Edited by joeaf

Joeaf,

THanks, I checked and my flights are the same. I am flying home on 4-1-20. Bkk-Nrt-Lax. Checked on the JL site.

and it showed no changes.

Welp....scratch Korean Air from the list of viable options for award travel from the USA to BKK starting in April 2021:

https://onemileatatime.com/korean-air-skypass-changes/

As noted in that article, once these changes kick in, a one-way first class ticket from LAX to BKK increases from 95,000 to 187,500!  OUCH!

I have been sitting on 95k+ Korean miles for a while, and obviously need to use them for an upcoming trip before that new chart kicks in.  

On the plus side, they gave plenty of notice for this massive devaluation, and their availability looks good (and goes out a full year).

The decision I need to make is whether to book them for:
 - my flight from LAX to BKK for my annual trip in November;
 - my return on that trip (both dates are open and available); OR
 - cancel my current return from BKK in February in Cathay First (going through HKG) and re-book it on Korean

Some other points in this regard:

- I do have some slight concerns about flying through Hong Kong.  All is relatively calm as far as the airport is concerned now, but who knows what could transpire in the next 2 months?

- the flight from LAX to BKK next November leaves mid-day and has a shitty arrival time (11:20 p.m.), BUT it also has only a 90 minute layover at ICN (the alternative is to leave LAX late at night, endure a 14 hour layover and STILL get in at 11:20 p.m.)

- the return flight from BKK to LAX also has shitty timing - it leaves BKK at 1 a.m. and requires a 6 hour layover in ICN (this applies to options 2 AND 3!).  It eventually arrives at LAX at 8:30 a.m., so I would have a long ass day once I got back.  That said, I would rather leave BKK at 1 a.m. than 8 a.m., which I did on my last trip!  5555

At this point, I am leaning towards booking my LAX-BKK leg in November in Korean first.  There are 4 seats currently available, but I might go ahead and lock it in.  The late night arrival will suck and I HATE that, but it seems like the lesser of two evils.

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Thoughts?

My first thought is well, that sure sucks. Small kudos to KE for the long advance notice, though.

If it was me, I'd go with what your leaning towards and use the points for the flight from LAX to BKK in November. You've got a confirmed flight on CX first that I assume your happy with for February. Why mess with that? The 6 hour layover in ICN on either return sucks. So by the process of elimination, there you go.

On the trip over, I personally don't mind mid-day flights that get in late as opposed to late flights that get in mid-day as much as others. One advantage to the mid-day departure is that I'm enjoying a nice first class meal when my bodyclock expects to be eating, as opposed to when it expects to be sleeping.

Two final thoughts. Little by little, the game is getting harder and harder ... and ... first world problems 555.

Points PSA: Chase Ink Preferred (business card) is back at 160k points on targeted offer. 80k after $5k spend in 3 months. 80k after another $50k spend in 6 months.  

Is it a good deal? Unsure. 80k for $5k spend is pretty good. 1.6 points/dollar on the $50k is just so-so, but makes the total of 160k sound better than most offers on face value. Does make me wonder though how much more points one could earn spending that $50k on a card with 3-4x restaurants/gas/etc. It only has a 3X on airfare and "select business categories". On the up shot though, only $95/year annual fee. 

80k for $5k spend isn't bad, but I don;t see any way that I could hit $50k in spend over 6 months - not enough reimbursable business stuff to run through.

In any event, I think I am now maxed out on Chase business cards (although I have closed at least one recently, so I may be back on board soon!)

On 09/12/2019 at 18:53, Luv2Phuket said:

Check your AMEX Offers (I do it religiously!  555)

This month, I got one for 4 extra MR on Amazon purchases (so 5 MR per USD), up to 1,500 MR.  So $300 Amazon spend by 12/31/19 should max it out.

Like last time, I'll probably buy some odds and ends, and then top off my AMEX gift card balance to hit the $300 spend.

EDIT:
Well, that was fast!  I've already rung up $142 on some fiber gummies, vitamins, Crystal Light packets and protein bars!  5555

I think I miscalculated this -- it is +4X MR for Amazon, capped at 1,500 bonus MR, so I think the max spend is $375, not $300.

Based on my purchases and reported bonus points, MR are awarded on taxes (i.e., total amount paid), not just the underlying purchase, and adding funds to your Amazon GC balance counts (as do purchases of Amazon GCs).

I just topped the $375 this evening (with only $100 added to my Amazon GC) - lots of online Christmas shopping for my nephews!  5555

Factoring in the 375 MR for the purchases + the 4X bonus (1,500 MR), I should net 1,875 MR.

With the bonus for my new AMEX Green card, I'm hoping to have my MR account to 120k soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having some issues with Korean Air, but went ahead and booked my November 2020 flight to BKK.

I was able to find quite a few options on Cathay in biz class for 70,000 AA miles. While it is NOT the “value” of Alaska (50k), I am sitting on nearly 600,000 AA miles, but only have about 5,000 Alaska miles in my account. The 20k “tax” is well worth it to cash out some of that war chest of miles!

With Korean, their website says ticket MUST match your passport, including middle name. The example they give is shit, as they say “include space,” but then they do NOT! 555

My account only has my last and first name, so I have submitted a request to change it to my last name and first+middle (along with a copy of my passport).

Until I get that cleared up, I’m kinda stuck on my return ticket.

Given the issues I was having, I also made the “executive decision” to come home using Korean, as opposed to the trip over. The flight over is a mid-day departure that gets in at around midnight. The return leaves at a crappy time (1 am), has a long layover at ICN and gets in at around 8:30 am (so a LOOOONG fucking day when I arrive), but that STILL seemed better than arriving at midnight! 555

I figure I can try to get a late checkout or maybe half-day rate and can enjoy a little more of my last day in Patts (or Bangkok). The long layover should be covered by decent lounge access at ICN.

I can always make changes (subject to availability), but that’s the current “plan.”

Anyone else ever have an issue with the first/middle name thing?

12 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

With Korean, their website says ticket MUST match your passport, including middle name. The example they give is shit, as they say “include space,” but then they do NOT! 555

SIA did that to me a few years back, I deliberately don't use my middle name with things like airlines / hotel reward schemes etc... so my Father (who I'm named after), can use all of benefits when him & Mum travel (Still works for my Priority Pass lounge access that comes with one of my other credit cards, well I do pay for it but have unlimited access on my main card so it wouldn't get used otherwise). 

As they only ever travel SIA when they're with me, I contacted them to get my middle name added (Doubt I needed to in all honesty), and  when they added it to my account with a lower case initial letter, had a bit of fun having a go at them (Well if they want to be petty with me, I can be even more petty back :))

Man you rack up some airmiles/points!!! :)