IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

5 minutes ago, xc1 said:

Only suggestion from me if you need to purchase points to top up for Eva and have Citi is purchase thru them. $25 per 1k points vs Eva at $40

Glad you got your ticket 

can you purchase Citi TY if it is not for a redemption through Citi's portal (as opposed to a purchase of points to be transferred to a travel partner, which this would have been)?

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

can you purchase Citi TY if it is not for a redemption through Citi's portal (as opposed to a purchase of points to be transferred to a travel partner, which this would have been)?

Yes. Or at least in 2018 it was possible to transfer purchased points.  My experience is only with Eva. I’ve been lucky enough...or maybe just spent enough to not need to top up on this years trips. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, xc1 said:

Yes. Or at least in 2018 it was possible to transfer purchased points.  My experience is only with Eva. I’ve been lucky enough...or maybe just spent enough to not need to top up on this years trips. 

Interesting. I had no idea you could purchase Citi TY. Appreciate the info. 

I read a blog today that said Singapore is getting rid of Lobster Thermidor from its Book the Cook menus.

it was a reminder to me to check on whether I could BTC for my Singapore to BKK flight in November, and it was now open.....and Lobster Thermidor remains an option, so I chose it!  5555

Time for another "quick" 1,000 Chase UR points!

Staples is offering the "fee free" deal on $200 Visa gift cards again this week (the usual $6.95 fee is refunded).  I'm pretty sure that there is a limit of one per customer.

Although I have an ABSURD number of Visa and M/C gift cards right now, I can't pass up a deal like this to increase my UR points.  Time to add a stop at Staples to my "to do" list....

FWIW, I found this blog post helpful, not so much for the tips on how to keep the points alive (shopping portals, transfers), but more so for the chart that breaks down when the various mile programs expire:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/keep-points-and-miles-from-expiring/

PSA: Target Amex Plat Business Card promotion. Sign up for "Pay Over Time" on a biz plat that doesn't already have it and earn 10K MR's just for signing up before the end of the year. No actual use required.

Of course my boss with multi-million MR's gets it and I don't. That's the tale of my life with targeted promotions. Anyway, came over in a glossy envelope mailer, so don't auto-toss them if you see one. Additionally, there's a weblink. Pretty sure it won't work if you're not targeted, but no harm in seeing I suppose:

americanexpress.com/payovertime709

On 30/09/2019 at 09:51, Luv2Phuket said:

Time for another "quick" 1,000 Chase UR points!

Staples is offering the "fee free" deal on $200 Visa gift cards again this week (the usual $6.95 fee is refunded).  I'm pretty sure that there is a limit of one per customer.

Although I have an ABSURD number of Visa and M/C gift cards right now, I can't pass up a deal like this to increase my UR points.  Time to add a stop at Staples to my "to do" list....

I HATE when Mom and Dad make me choose....  (55555)

I just got an AMEX offer for 2,500 MR for $100+ spend at Staples.  I also have a continuing offer for an extra MR for each dollar spent at Staples, meaning the $200 Visa GC purchase should net me 2,900 MR.

That said, my current plan -- probably short-sighted -- is to do the $200 Visa GC on my Ink card (5X spend, so 1,000 Chase UR) and then purchase $100 in Amazon (or maybe restaurant) GCs on my AMEX, which should net me 2,700 MR.

The AMEX offer T/C say "Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases," so hopefully my Amazon GC will get me the bonus.

• Like 1

Just received a notice from Alaska Airlines/BoA that they are replacing my card due to a security leak with an "undisclosed" vendor. I haven't used my Alaska card in quite some time, so that narrows it down to one Alaska Airlines miles purchase being the only transaction within the last 6 months. I was actually considering closing the account anyway, so maybe now is time. While I can't say for sure it is Alaska (could have been an ancient transaction vendor who was compromised), you might want to check any card accounts that have been used to buy Alaska miles, just out of an abundance of caution. 

That's one minor down side of playing this game....so many cards and accounts that it can be easy to lose track and have an unknown transaction or two slip by. 

BoA replaced my cash rewards card with them this summer, too. Second time in four years. They seem to be very sensitive to any potential leaks. Was a real pain the ass since that’s the card I use for auto-payments and I was in the middle of a two-month trip. Didn’t get the replacement card when I was away, I’m guessing due to the fact that I was having my mail forwarded. So after I got home, they then had to replace the replacement. I think I’ve finally got everything squared away.

• Like 1

Points PSA:

Targeted Amex Plat bonus "Add to Card" promotion. Looks like an end of year push for Amex. Spend $4k+ on any one transaction after adding to card and get a bonus 2k MR's on top of spend, up to 3x. Too rich for my blood right now, but if someone already had a big purchase to make, why not nab some bonus MR's. 

No corporate cards. Must be "added" to card. Only applies to 1 card across entire account. Can't be retroactively applied to prior purchases. Ends 11/21/19. 

Wish it extended to the new year come tax season, but oh well. 

Points PSA:
Targeted Amex Plat bonus "Add to Card" promotion. Looks like an end of year push for Amex. Spend $4k+ on any one transaction after adding to card and get a bonus 2k MR's on top of spend, up to 3x. Too rich for my blood right now, but if someone already had a big purchase to make, why not nab some bonus MR's. 
No corporate cards. Must be "added" to card. Only applies to 1 card across entire account. Can't be retroactively applied to prior purchases. Ends 11/21/19. 
Wish it extended to the new year come tax season, but oh well. 

Use it to pay estimated taxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Use it to pay estimated taxes?

That has never occurred to me before. Solid suggestion. 

6 hours ago, Little Evil said:

How was this offer transmitted - via AMEX Offers on webpage OR via email?  I don't think I got it, but am interested (given a potential end-of-year estimated tax payment)

A couple of airline/points relevant blog posts today:

- Increased bonus to transfer hotel points to United.  Given that my Marriott account is at around 320,000 points and my United account is at only 350, the bump for a Marriott transfer to 35,750 United miles for 60,000 Marriott points intrigues me. 
https://onemileatatime.com/united-hotel-points-promotion/

- Alaska's partnership with Singapore now up and running, allowing Alaska miles to be used for flights on SQ.  The rate of 100,000 miles each way isn't great, though, especially when compared to using Alaska for Cathay (50k in biz; 70k in first) or JAL (65k in biz).  SQ is a transfer partner for EVERYONE -- Chase, Citi, AMEX and Cap One -- and it's 95,000 miles each way in biz using KrisFlyer miles.  I've also always had the impression that availability is better via KrisFlyer than their partners.
https://onemileatatime.com/redeem-alaska-miles-singapore-airlines/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

How was this offer transmitted - via AMEX Offers on webpage OR via email?  I don't think I got it, but am interested (given a potential end-of-year estimated tax payment)

A couple of airline/points relevant blog posts today:

- Increased bonus to transfer hotel points to United.  Given that my Marriott account is at around 320,000 points and my United account is at only 350, the bump for a Marriott transfer to 35,750 United miles for 60,000 Marriott points intrigues me. 
https://onemileatatime.com/united-hotel-points-promotion/

- Alaska's partnership with Singapore now up and running, allowing Alaska miles to be used for flights on SQ.  The rate of 100,000 miles each way isn't great, though, especially when compared to using Alaska for Cathay (50k in biz; 70k in first) or JAL (65k in biz).  SQ is a transfer partner for EVERYONE -- Chase, Citi, AMEX and Cap One -- and it's 95,000 miles each way in biz using KrisFlyer miles.  I've also always had the impression that availability is better via KrisFlyer than their partners.
https://onemileatatime.com/redeem-alaska-miles-singapore-airlines/

No email that I've seen. I just check the Offers towards the bottom of the web page every day like the OCD points freak that I am. I'm assuming it is targeted, as there have been times these things have been mentioned where I don't have the option myself. 

I'd love to finally scratch off SQ from my bucket list, so this is welcome news about Alaska! 100k is steep, but I do have like 80k already. Maybe a splurge? Just a tough call when that could theoretically get my RT in CX. 

1 hour ago, Little Evil said:

No email that I've seen. I just check the Offers towards the bottom of the web page every day like the OCD points freak that I am. I'm assuming it is targeted, as there have been times these things have been mentioned where I don't have the option myself. 

I'd love to finally scratch off SQ from my bucket list, so this is welcome news about Alaska! 100k is steep, but I do have like 80k already. Maybe a splurge? Just a tough call when that could theoretically get my RT in CX. 

Must be a targeted offer that I didn't get it....bastards!

I would use Alaska for RT on Cathay, and then  transfer from Citi, Chase, AMEX, CapOne, etc. to KrisFlyer, and use them at 95k OW on another trip

CRAP!  I just lost what was probably my favorite use of my Priority Pass card!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/priority-pass-adds-new-restaurant-us/

Summary:  PF Changs at the Bradley Terminal at LAX cut the amount provided for Priority Pass members from $30 to $28, but the BIGGER news is that it is leaving the Priority Pass program as of October 25.  My next flight is November 19, about 3 1/2 weeks later. 

I was planning to head to LAX even earlier than usual to give me plenty of time for nice dinner at PF Changs....sigh.....

Since I get Priority Pass as a perk of multiple credit cards and do not pay for it, I guess I really can't complaint TOO much.  Still, it sucks to see such a valuable perk -- and one that I have used MANY times -- go away.

Also losing a restaurant in Denver, but, since I can't recall the last time I flew through Denver, that one doesn't have much impact on me.

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

CRAP!  I just lost what was probably my favorite use of my Priority Pass card!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/priority-pass-adds-new-restaurant-us/

Summary:  PF Changs at the Bradley Terminal at LAX cut the amount provided for Priority Pass members from $30 to $28, but the BIGGER news is that it is leaving the Priority Pass program as of October 25.  My next flight is November 19, about 3 1/2 weeks later. 

I was planning to head to LAX even earlier than usual to give me plenty of time for nice dinner at PF Changs....sigh.....

Since I get Priority Pass as a perk of multiple credit cards and do not pay for it, I guess I really can't complaint TOO much.  Still, it sucks to see such a valuable perk -- and one that I have used MANY times -- go away.

Also losing a restaurant in Denver, but, since I can't recall the last time I flew through Denver, that one doesn't have much impact on me.

While I definitely like PP and have maximized that benefit over the years, I do dislike how it is often a redundant perk with the number of cards I have. I kind of wish I could take that and the redundant Global Entry credit and trade it for something else with some of these companies. 

That is sad though that PF Chang's is leaving. Weird they would bump down a few bucks beforehand. 

I'm through EWR terminal C tomorrow on a Y fare. Spent all my United Amex credit already, so I most likely won't be buying a lounge pass. Luckily I'm only there for just over an hour, but any suggestions on restaurants or other lounge options? I think there's only terminal B for PP, unless someone knows an unpublished bit of info. Anyone know if/where there might be an Admiral's club? I still have $100 in AA Amex credit left. 

5 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

While I definitely like PP and have maximized that benefit over the years, I do dislike how it is often a redundant perk with the number of cards I have. I kind of wish I could take that and the redundant Global Entry credit and trade it for something else with some of these companies. 

That is sad though that PF Chang's is leaving. Weird they would bump down a few bucks beforehand. 

I'm through EWR terminal C tomorrow on a Y fare. Spent all my United Amex credit already, so I most likely won't be buying a lounge pass. Luckily I'm only there for just over an hour, but any suggestions on restaurants or other lounge options? I think there's only terminal B for PP, unless someone knows an unpublished bit of info. Anyone know if/where there might be an Admiral's club? I still have $100 in AA Amex credit left. 

Not a lot of knowledge re Newark, but there is an Admiral's Club in Terminal A.  Online it lists $59 per person fee.

In my experience, Admiral's Clubs usually suck ass, but I'm sitting on $100 or $150 of AA credit, so I'm probably hitting the Admirals Clubs at LAX and in Austin when I fly in December.

I had both of my AA credits designated for AA, thinking the gift card scam would never die.  I DID end up having some change fees to eat up most of the $450 credit, but I need to figure out how to split it next year. 

I'm leaning towards United for the $200 credit and sticking with AA for the $250.  I tend to fly AA more often, and presumably could start burning the credits at the Admirals Club at LAX (which is off limits to my lowly Platinum status).

17 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

I'm through EWR terminal C tomorrow on a Y fare.

While researching cost of Admiral's Club access at LAX ($59), I came across this:

"Starting November 1, 2019, boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines will be required for entry.1 Same-day priority verification cards will be accepted."

It sounds like you're gonna get to use it JUST in time!

• Like 1

I was surprised how nice the EWR C terminal was when I connected there on my recent trip. It was my first time there since the renovation a few years back. Lots of really nice dining/drink options in the public areas. Flying out of BOS to EWR, I like that Stephanie’s is in PP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bgtp said:

I was surprised how nice the EWR C terminal was when I connected there on my recent trip. It was my first time there since the renovation a few years back. Lots of really nice dining/drink options in the public areas. Flying out of BOS to EWR, I like that Stephanie’s is in PP.

Yes! That's where I'm going to maximize that perk. Breakfast and a screwdriver. Good call.

If you ever fly American out of JFK, you'll likely be Terminal 8 and can take advantage of the credit at Bobby Van's Steakhouse. 

Never seen it too crowded and $28 credit actually goes quite a ways - I got a meal and a slice of cheesecake to go on a prior trip and it only cost me a few bucks.  Their breakfasts are not that expensive - steak and eggs is $27, but everything else is below $20 ($15 omelette; $12 burrito; $9 oatmeal; etc.).  Grabbed a burger ($16) when I had an afternoon flight

• Like 1

Huh...sitting in Stephanie's in Logan, terminal B, and the bartender just told me only Chase PP. She claims Amex already backed out. I didn't know there was a difference, unless she's wrong. Maybe there is something to redundant PP cards after all.

Huh...sitting in Stephanie's in Logan, terminal B, and the bartender just told me only Chase PP. She claims Amex already backed out. I didn't know there was a difference, unless she's wrong. Maybe there is something to redundant PP cards after all.

Yep - no more restaurant credits for AMEX PP

• Like 1