IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

I think this hinges on the answer to 2 questions: How much do you value high end hotels? And how comfortable are you with multiple open credit cards?

For me, personally, I don't put a great deal of value in high end hotels. Above a certain point, I'm ok staying just about anywhere as long as its clean and the location is ok. This is especially true in BKK, where it's pretty easy to find a nice hotel for $100. I've stayed in the JWM and the SGS, and they aren't THAT much better than, say, the Aloft hotel.

The other part of the equation is I dont like having too many credit cards. I know some who the play the points game will have as many as 20+ active at once. 3 or 4 is my limit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you know you’re going to use the free night at some point, it seems worth it. I tend to use my hotel awards here at home in the USA. For example, I may need to stay at an airport hotel due to a positioning flight for an airline award or I’m going somewhere domestic for a weekend. In these cases, rooms could be $200+ depending on the city. It’s why I’m keeping my IHG Rewards card at $49 per year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but I'm interested in your thoughts on a hotel-linked card.

The business that I am leaving also has a Marriott Bonvoy AMEX (fees paid until next June) that gets me a free annual night at Marriott hotels up to 35,000 points.  Annual fee is $125/year.

I have a Marriott card through my own business that overlaps many, if not all, of the same perks.

I'm debating keeping the Bonvoy AMEX open just for the free room night.  At $125 for a room at up to 35,000 points should net out with me saving a little money.  Also, given my other Marriott card, I would be looking at 2 free nights each year.

Under Marriott's current pricing, 35,000 points will get you a Category 5 room, so, in Bangkok, that would include the JW Marriott, the St. Regis and the Sheraton Grande Sukhimvit.  I don't know how convenient the location is, but the St Regis goes for $300+ per night.

Would you keep the card and pay $125 for the annual free night?  

I'm going to keep mine. I figure even if I just break even on a room redemption it will be beneficial, as I'm hoping less churning might keep me off the AMEX RAT's radar.

15 hours ago, basket case said:

I think this hinges on the answer to 2 questions: How much do you value high end hotels? And how comfortable are you with multiple open credit cards?

For me, personally, I don't put a great deal of value in high end hotels. Above a certain point, I'm ok staying just about anywhere as long as its clean and the location is ok. This is especially true in BKK, where it's pretty easy to find a nice hotel for $100. I've stayed in the JWM and the SGS, and they aren't THAT much better than, say, the Aloft hotel.

The other part of the equation is I dont like having too many credit cards. I know some who the play the points game will have as many as 20+ active at once. 3 or 4 is my limit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1. I really value high end hotels.  Due to a scheduling snafu (i.e., I screwed up!), I booked a couple of nights at SeaMe Tree in February.  I had stayed at SeaMe Springs a few years ago, and thought it was okay.  The downgrade from Hilton (where they upgraded me to an oceanfront room) to SeaMe Tree was noticeable to me.

2. I have a ton of cards -- including small business cards, I have a total of 19 right now, but expect to be closing 3+ in the coming months.

11 hours ago, bgtp said:

If you know you’re going to use the free night at some point, it seems worth it. I tend to use my hotel awards here at home in the USA. For example, I may need to stay at an airport hotel due to a positioning flight for an airline award or I’m going somewhere domestic for a weekend. In these cases, rooms could be $200+ depending on the city. It’s why I’m keeping my IHG Rewards card at $49 per year.

I kept my $49 Chase IHG Rewards AND opened another Chase IHG Premier (think it's $95 annual fee).  They dovetail nicely -- Rewards gets free night + 10% rebate on points redeemed; Premier gets free night + 4th night free.  

2 hours ago, skink said:

I'm going to keep mine. I figure even if I just break even on a room redemption it will be beneficial, as I'm hoping less churning might keep me off the AMEX RAT's radar.

I'm not a huge churner, although I am DYING to get cleared so I can go back to Chase for a Sapphire Reserve card (assuming the bonus EVER comes back up!).

Thanks for the input -- I've got a quite a while to decide, but, for now, I am leaning strongly towards re-upping it for the $125 annual fee.  It was a VERY easy call when the company was paying it, but I think I will more than break even, given the level of hotels available in Bangkok.

I am using one free night certificate in Singapore (only get level 4 hotels there) in November, and that's going to net me a room that goes for around $240 USD.  Depending upon how many nights I decide to spend in Bangkok next February, I will likely use the other certificate (and points) for the St. Regis, now that I see it on the list.  Not an ideal location, but very close to Grand Hyatt, where I have cashed out many a free night certificate!  555

• Like 2

Interesting report on last minute American awards (but ONLY to Asia):

https://onemileatatime.com/american-last-minute-award-pricing/

THIS blog says the reduced "anytime" fares are showing much farther out:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-aanytime-awards-discount-asia/

On 25/07/2019 at 12:04, Little Evil said:

That's the very first thing I noticed too about the gift cards, as I started getting ideas for some double dipping action.  Technically, this is 2 bonus points on top of the standard point, so the net should be 3 points per. That's assuming I read that correctly, but my other bonus point vendors specifically state 1 bonus point. 

Any time Amazon pops up, it is like an early Xmas for me, so I'm wondering as well while it wasn't posted in the points blogs as well considering this is 2 points bonus. 

FWIW, I read the terms and conditions on this one a couple of more times, and it seems clear to me that it is 3 MR points (1 + the 2 bonus points) per USD spent at Amazon through 9/30/19.

I cannot believe that this one isn't getting more ink in frequent flier blogs, as 3X points at Amazon is fantastic to me.

I've already processed 4 orders and got the "You used an AMEX offer" email after each.  I'm gonna try a small reload on my Amazon gift card today and see if I get the same email for it, too.

EDIT:

Yep - got the "You used an AMEX offer" email right away. 

Actually got two, so I don't know if another AMEX offer was triggered - had one for 15% off of online purchases at "SuperStore" vendors, but terms do not appear to include Amazon or to allow for purchases of re-loadable gift cards.

At first I wasn't going to use the Amex Amazon offer as I usually buy Amazon cards from Staples for 5X UR points with a Chase Ink card. However, that method loses out on any extended warranty benefits provided by some credit cards. 

Another very good AMEX offer to check for is one for 400 MR for spending $40+ at U.S. gas stations (can be used up to 3X).

I also have offer for 2 additional MR for spend at Texaco & Chevron and the same offer for BP and Amoco.

The way I figure it, a $40 gas purchase at the local Chevron will net me 520 MRs - 40 for purchase + 80 for one bonus + 400 for other bonus.  That's a pretty damn good return!

Unfortunately for me, I hardly drive -- I have had my lease car since November 2017 and just cracked 4,200 miles the other day! 

At least a drive to Orange County sucked up some gas and may have left me less than half a tank.

4 minutes ago, skink said:

At first I wasn't going to use the Amex Amazon offer as I usually buy Amazon cards from Staples for 5X UR points with a Chase Ink card. However, that method loses out on any extended warranty benefits provided by some credit cards. 

I forgot about that as an option!

I need to close out a Chase Ink card that gets 5X at office supply stores, and that would be a good way to get my URs to an even 1,000 amount.

I thought Staples cracked down on gift card purchases by credit card?  Or was that just for the Visa/Mastercard/AMEX gift cards?

28 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I thought Staples cracked down on gift card purchases by credit card?  Or was that just for the Visa/Mastercard/AMEX gift cards?

They might have cracked down on buying those with a Staples gift card. 

I buy Visa gift cards from Staples with a credit card whenever they go on sale. Including tomorrow when they'll have fee-free $200 Visa GCs.

6 minutes ago, skink said:

They might have cracked down on buying those with a Staples gift card. 

I buy Visa gift cards from Staples with a credit card whenever they go on sale. Including tomorrow when they'll have fee-free $200 Visa GCs.

Great "heads up" - thanks!

I have an AMEX deal for an extra MR point (so 2X) on Staples purchases, but that pales in comparison to the 5X on my Ink card!

@HimBadMan - great news for your trip (and mine) - biz class passengers on Singapore now get 100 MB of free wifi:

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore-airlines-unlimited-wifi-first-class/

I don't think I even tried the wifi on my prior SQ flight, but might give it a spin in November (check emails while in route)

I'm curious as to whether the same offer will apply to my SIN-BKK leg.  That is a short, daytime flight, so I don't plan to be trying to get much sleep.  It may be a great time to fire up my iPad and check some emails (as it will be late Friday night, LA time)

These guys HAVE to be watching what each other is doing!

Citi now has an offer for $15 off a $50+ Amazon order if you use ONE Citi TY point as part of the payment - 
https://thepointsguy.com/news/15-off-amazon-order-with-one-citi-thankyou-point/

As much as I like 3X AMEX MRs, getting $15 knocked off of a $50 purchase for 1 TY point is too good a deal to pass up!

Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon GC re-loads are not eligible, although other GC purchases are

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

@HimBadMan - great news for your trip (and mine) - biz class passengers on Singapore now get 100 MB of free wifi:

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore-airlines-unlimited-wifi-first-class/

I don't think I even tried the wifi on my prior SQ flight, but might give it a spin in November (check emails while in route)

I'm curious as to whether the same offer will apply to my SIN-BKK leg.  That is a short, daytime flight, so I don't plan to be trying to get much sleep.  It may be a great time to fire up my iPad and check some emails (as it will be late Friday night, LA time)

Yeah this is good news.  Use LINE and check some emails in route.  I'll report on the SIN -BKK route.  I doubt it.  Also what plane u flying to bkk?  I took the 787-10 to check out their biz class seats.

Also happy to report that a JAL 777 opened up for my flight back home.  So now can route to LAX  vs using the 787 to San Diego.  Although the 787 is more comfortable in biz class imo then the 777.   But same sky suite window.

Just prefer coming into LA vs San Fran

Although JAL has a tight connection in NRat its only 1 hour transit time I have .   I've been to NRT in the past,  but had long layover.  Anyone have any thoughts on that 1 HR transit time?

The good news I'm in biz, and it's both JAL flights, sure they will expedite.  But still hate feeling rushed.

31 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Yeah this is good news.  Use LINE and check some emails in route.  I'll report on the SIN -BKK route.  I doubt it.  Also what plane u flying to bkk?  I took the 787-10 to check out their biz class seats.

Also happy to report that a JAL 777 opened up for my flight back home.  So now can route to LAX  vs using the 787 to San Diego.  Although the 787 is more comfortable in biz class imo then the 777.   But same sky suite window.

Just prefer coming into LA vs San Fran

Although JAL has a tight connection in NRat its only 1 hour transit time I have .   I've been to NRT in the past,  but had long layover.  Anyone have any thoughts on that 1 HR transit time?

The good news I'm in biz, and it's both JAL flights, sure they will expedite.  But still hate feeling rushed.

I'm on an A330 from SIN to BKK - a 2-2-2 layout, but I am in the center section.  Looking at the layout, I am the ONLY reserved seat in biz class so far! 5555

I picked it because of the timing -- it leaves SIN at 1:10 p.m. and arrives BKK at 2:35 p.m.  The next flight (3:30 p.m.) was a little too late for me, and the flight before (9:45 a.m. departure and 11:10 a.m. arrival at BKK) was a little early for me, given how far in advance I like to get to the airport (I'd want to be at Changi by 7:15 a.m. for that flight, which means a very early departure from my hotel).

The 9:45 a.m. departure shows on Kayak as a 777-200, but SeatGuru has it listed as another A330 flight.  If it is the 777, not sure if it has a 1-2-1 or a 2-2-2 layout.  SeatGuru shows them as using both.

I had a choice of that 1 hour layover at Narita OR a 10+ hour layover in Osaka.

Tough choice was made easy because I had friends in Osaka on business, so I took the train in and hung with them for about 5 hours.

I was a little worried about it, but - as a general rule - the Japanese are incredibly efficient, and I am sure they will make sure that you make it.  You're certainly NOT gonna have time to fuck around in the lounge, though!  5555

10 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm on an A330 from SIN to BKK - a 2-2-2 layout, but I am in the center section.  Looking at the layout, I am the ONLY reserved seat in biz class so far! 5555

I picked it because of the timing -- it leaves SIN at 1:10 p.m. and arrives BKK at 2:35 p.m.  The next flight (3:30 p.m.) was a little too late for me, and the flight before (9:45 a.m. departure and 11:10 a.m. arrival at BKK) was a little early for me, given how far in advance I like to get to the airport (I'd want to be at Changi by 7:15 a.m. for that flight, which means a very early departure from my hotel).

The 9:45 a.m. departure shows on Kayak as a 777-200, but SeatGuru has it listed as another A330 flight.  If it is the 777, not sure if it has a 1-2-1 or a 2-2-2 layout.  SeatGuru shows them as using both.

I had a choice of that 1 hour layover at Narita OR a 10+ hour layover in Osaka.

Tough choice was made easy because I had friends in Osaka on business, so I took the train in and hung with them for about 5 hours.

I was a little worried about it, but - as a general rule - the Japanese are incredibly efficient, and I am sure they will make sure that you make it.  You're certainly NOT gonna have time to fuck around in the lounge, though!  5555

Yeah I also noticed so far in my SIN to BKK flight there are maybe 3 people in biz so far.  I also chose long layover in changi to check out the jewel .  Heard the Singapore lounges are mediocre at best..  but I'll keep busy 

I had the opportunity to hang out at the JAL Sakura 1st class lounge last year,  had so much fresh made sushi, beef curry and sake I was in a coma.   Great lounge. But does not compete with Cathays 1st class lounges in HK.

I'm getting excited!!

I also just rcvd my Barclay aviator biz card with that 75K sign up bonus.   So booked my Nov trip in AA economy. It was 1K total.  Hoping to use my AA biz extra upgrade on the LA to HK seg.  This will be my 1st time using a business extra upgrade.    Have u ever used business extra upgrades??     

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

These guys HAVE to be watching what each other is doing!

Citi now has an offer for $15 off a $50+ Amazon order if you use ONE Citi TY point as part of the payment - 
https://thepointsguy.com/news/15-off-amazon-order-with-one-citi-thankyou-point/

As much as I like 3X AMEX MRs, getting $15 knocked off of a $50 purchase for 1 TY point is too good a deal to pass up!

Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon GC re-loads are not eligible, although other GC purchases are

I keep a pretty long Amazon wish list and was able to add $50 worth of sold by Amazon items.

I'm considering some major appliance and/or electronic purchases for the Amex offer (mainly for the extended rebate benefit). It seems like last time I purchased major appliances I was able to get 15X from Home Depot, but I can't remember how. I'm thinking maybe that was back when Office Depot had the Home Improvement cards and I must have bought them and used them to buy Home Depot cards via another portal.

6 minutes ago, skink said:

I keep a pretty long Amazon wish list and was able to add $50 worth of sold by Amazon items.

I'm considering some major appliance and/or electronic purchases for the Amex offer (mainly for the extended rebate benefit). It seems like last time I purchased major appliances I was able to get 15X from Home Depot, but I can't remember how. I'm thinking maybe that was back when Office Depot had the Home Improvement cards and I must have bought them and used them to buy Home Depot cards via another portal.

I bought a pair of shoes.  I needed them like I needed another hole in my head, but it worked out as a GREAT price with the $15 off!

I've been upgrading my sneakers/casual shoes for a while now.  Need to stop now, though!  5555

Just applied for the AA Barclay’s card. 60,000 bonus miles (The Business card comes with 75K bonus miles), mainly to get the miles balance back up to a level sufficient for another Award flight USA to HKG in First Class. 

Question for Luv2Phuket - you have the Chase IHG Rewards card. I have enough Bonvoy stay credits to maintain my same status for next year, so would be curious about the actual benefits you derive from carrying the Chase IHG. The only IHG Bangkok property I’ve stayed at was the Intercontinental, at Ratchaprasong. Very nice hotel. You recommend other IHG properties in Bangkok? Seems that the Intercontinental would really be the only choice  for me. In Pattaya the Holiday Inn is part of IHG, but not the best location for my preferences.

TGOEA

I'm in a tough spot guys. Have an outbound award on JAL leaving in a few weeks, but I'm waitlisted on CX F return, and the waitlist doesn't clear until Aug 18th. I'm only gone two weeks on this one, and the proximity of the waitlist news will mean I might have to scramble if it doesn't work out. I need this--to get away now before I lose my marbles. Been a while since I've been subjected to the possibility of buying a ticket because I just couldn't find anything. My gut is telling me to wait out the waitlist and risk spending cash on the return. The fiscal-conscious side of my brain is telling me to bail on this trip and at least reclaim those Alaska points for JAL. What would you do?

This is all my fault, BTW, for not doing my typical 6 month out planning. I took kind of a hiatus of the points game early this year and I'm literally paying for it now. 

On 04/08/2019 at 08:29, Bira said:

Question for Luv2Phuket - you have the Chase IHG Rewards card. I have enough Bonvoy stay credits to maintain my same status for next year, so would be curious about the actual benefits you derive from carrying the Chase IHG. The only IHG Bangkok property I’ve stayed at was the Intercontinental, at Ratchaprasong. Very nice hotel. You recommend other IHG properties in Bangkok? Seems that the Intercontinental would really be the only choice  for me. In Pattaya the Holiday Inn is part of IHG, but not the best location for my preferences.

I have 2 Chase IHG cards - the old Rewards Club Mastercard (long since closed for applications) and the new Premier.

Here's a rundown on the perks of each:
 - Rewards Club - low annual fee ($49) - gets me: (a) an annual free night at hotels up to 35,000 points per night, (b) Platinum status with IHG (which should get me upgraded to Executive room, but hasn't always come through), (c) 10% rebate on IHG points redemptions 
 - IHG Premier card (which remains available for sign-up) has a higher annual fee (think it's $89, but it could be $95) and gets me: (a) another annual free night at hotels up to 35,000 points per night, (b) Platinum status with IHG (which I already get via the other card), (c) 4th night free when you redeem points for a 4-night stay

Biggest perk is the annual free night certificates, but I use the others to my advantage where possible. 

For example, my stay at the InterContinental in Pattaya in November includes 4 nights booked using points.  That's 35,000 points per night.  The 10% rebate cuts that to 31,500 per night and factoring in the free 4th night, it cuts the effective rate per night down to 23,625 (31,500 x 3 nights = 94,500, divided by 4 night stay).

I also buy Ambassador status with IHG each year for about $200.  That gets me a guaranteed upgrade on paid stays at InterConinental hotels (only), as well as a weekend BOGO certificate (although they bump the rate for the 1st night when you use it).  Points redemption do NOT get a guaranteed upgrade, and hotels are hit and miss on whether they will give it to you.  For November, I am using my BOGO certificate, then 4 nights on points, and I worked out a deal with the hotel to pay a little bit and remain in my upgraded room after the first 2 nights.

I like the InterContinetal in Bangkok and stay there every now and then.  I have so many free night certificates (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and IHG) that I sometimes lose track of them, but I try to use them every trip into Bangkok (where hotel redemption points are low), which puts a strain on me to keep better track of them.  I try to use Hilton and IHG in Pattaya, with Marriott and Hyatt usually being redeemed in Bangkok.

I haven't stayed at any other IHG properties in Bangkok.

I like the Holiday Inn in Pattaya, but think I get more bang for my buck out in Phra Tamnak (especially when I plan to spend a lot of time with my LLT, rather than going back and forth to bars), given the Ambassador thing.

4 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I'm in a tough spot guys. Have an outbound award on JAL leaving in a few weeks, but I'm waitlisted on CX F return, and the waitlist doesn't clear until Aug 18th. I'm only gone two weeks on this one, and the proximity of the waitlist news will mean I might have to scramble if it doesn't work out. I need this--to get away now before I lose my marbles. Been a while since I've been subjected to the possibility of buying a ticket because I just couldn't find anything. My gut is telling me to wait out the waitlist and risk spending cash on the return. The fiscal-conscious side of my brain is telling me to bail on this trip and at least reclaim those Alaska points for JAL. What would you do?

This is all my fault, BTW, for not doing my typical 6 month out planning. I took kind of a hiatus of the points game early this year and I'm literally paying for it now. 

What do your mileage balances look like?

Some options:
 - JAL seems to have much better availability now on AA, but that could fill up quickly
 - China Southern is an AA option, although very tough to find availability (pretty much have to use ExpertFlyer or KVS tool)
 - Is Singapore an option?  Their availability is tough, although PE seemed to be pretty open from SIN to LAX when I was looking.  You gotta go Economy from BKK to SIN to use it, though, as I don;t know that they have any flights on that route that have PE.  It also makes it more difficult to book (think you have to call)
 - Star Alliance via United always seems to come up with something for me.  EVA seems to open up a lot of seats close to the flight dates, as does ANA
 - I still have 95,000 sitting in my Korean account, but their availability has gone from "great" to "shit" over the past few years

If you have to buy, I would pay a little extra to get a refundable option in case you can find a redemption.

One final option -- and I have used this in a pinch -- most of the frequent flier blogs operate booking services, where you tell them what you have miles-wise, and they see what they can find for you.  I think they charge about $200, but that may be a way to go.

When I used them years ago, I was on multiple airlines with multiple stops (LAX-LHR-FRA-BKK), but it got me in their in business on that date I wanted to travel.  AND it gave me an interesting story, as I came back BKK-NRT-LAX, so I literally flew around the World on that trip.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

What do your mileage balances look like?

Some options:
 - JAL seems to have much better availability now on AA, but that could fill up quickly
 - China Southern is an AA option, although very tough to find availability (pretty much have to use ExpertFlyer or KVS tool)
 - Is Singapore an option?  Their availability is tough, although PE seemed to be pretty open from SIN to LAX when I was looking.  You gotta go Economy from BKK to SIN to use it, though, as I don;t know that they have any flights on that route that have PE.  It also makes it more difficult to book (think you have to call)
 - Star Alliance via United always seems to come up with something for me.  EVA seems to open up a lot of seats close to the flight dates, as does ANA
 - I still have 95,000 sitting in my Korean account, but their availability has gone from "great" to "shit" over the past few years

If you have to buy, I would pay a little extra to get a refundable option in case you can find a redemption.

One final option -- and I have used this in a pinch -- most of the frequent flier blogs operate booking services, where you tell them what you have miles-wise, and they see what they can find for you.  I think they charge about $200, but that may be a way to go.

When I used them years ago, I was on multiple airlines with multiple stops (LAX-LHR-FRA-BKK), but it got me in their in business on that date I wanted to travel.  AND it gave me an interesting story, as I came back BKK-NRT-LAX, so I literally flew around the World on that trip.

Completely forgot about booking services. Good suggestion. I'm kind of low on points right now. I have about 180k Asia miles. I'd do another itinerary in a heart beat with them, but I seemingly exhausted all options including 3 leg journeys that require re-positioning back home. All are waitlisted. 70k Alaska, but nothing good there right now. The one Air China flight was 50k points, but included Y on the longest leg. Only 46k AA right now, but that doesn't appear to matter as my desired return has nothing available. Return flights on CX J are hovering between $2,700 - $3k. Probably bring that down to about $2,500-$2,800 if I call Amex, but that still kind of sucks to have to pay. 

I guess I'll look into the booking service. Kind of screwed myself with my Amex Asia Miles transfer. Don't have many options on that platform. 

11 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Only 46k AA right now, but that doesn't appear to matter as my desired return has nothing available.

Not a great deal, but AA is offering a special on purchased miles right now if you can find availability: 
https://onemileatatime.com/buy-american-miles/

Looking it up, if you wanted to get 44,000 more AA miles (taking you to 90k), it would run you $965.34.  Works out to about 2.2 cents per mile.

I think AA can be redeemed for less than 90k, though, so -- assuming you could find availability -- you might be able to purchase miles to op off your account for a little less.

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I am a business class mileage traveler and generate substantial mileage each year through business purchasing.

Availability on United website for flights from Houston - BKK and return have double in price.  Only occasionally lately, has a business saver award been available.  The normal rate is 90k per direction.  Lately every reward has been 180k.

I think they are intentionally screwing with the reward system.  I flew last week and had 22 business seats available (empty!!) on both my Thai and EVA segments.  Only the domestic United flight was full.  I find that suspicious, since I haven't been able to book a flight for a month until this route popped up only days before the flight.