IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

It looks like we will finally be able to book oneworld PE using AA miles - 
https://onemileatatime.com/aadvantage-premium-economy-awards/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=OneMileataTime&utm_content=American Adds Oneworld Premium Economy Awards (With Award Charts!)

I have no interest in flying economy for 20 hours, but, in my limited experience, PE is tolerable.

I don't know how interested I am at 50,000 miles each way, but it is a viable option moving forward.

Speaking of AMEX MR, this news was pretty good:  Rakuten is now expanding their partnership with AMEX, so members can choose to earn MR instead of cash back:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/rakuten-ebates-membership-rewards/?utm_term=editorial&utm_content=F77A40DE-FB64-11E9-AE0C-C7DC4744363C&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thepointsguy&tw=1

As I understand it, 1 cent will equate to 1 MR.

I have just started using Rakuten over the past 6 to 9 months, but have racked up $32.72 in cash back (with more to come on a hotel stay in November and a rental car in December).  If the 1:1 rate is correct, then my past earnings would have gotten me 3,272 MRs.  Not a bad haul.

I've seen/used bonuses of 12% back (I think that's what I have coming for my IHG upcoming hotel stay), so I think that would flow through as 12 MRs per USD spent.  Since I think my rate is gonna be north of $350 USD, I think that would be 4200 MRs (over and above my IHG points and the points on my Chase IHG card).

To clarify, you cannot change past cash back into MRs; you can only opt to do it going forward.

I think MR points are worth more than 1 cent each, so it seems like the way to go.

Anyone have any hacks or tricks to get 100 or so AA miles into an account via some type of points transfer other than Marriott? I just F'd up on buying a small amount of miles for an award. Didn't realized my math was screwed up until after the purchase and I'm short just 70 miles. This sucks because I could have just added another 1k miles on my purchase, but now after the fact I'd have to buy the minimum 2k miles and pay the service fee again. We're only talking about $80. for that 2k, but it still kills me that I f'd this up and would rather figure out some type of points transfer. I just don't think there's any moves to be made here without Marriott.  

45 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Anyone have any hacks or tricks to get 100 or so AA miles into an account via some type of points transfer other than Marriott? I just F'd up on buying a small amount of miles for an award. Didn't realized my math was screwed up until after the purchase and I'm short just 70 miles. This sucks because I could have just added another 1k miles on my purchase, but now after the fact I'd have to buy the minimum 2k miles and pay the service fee again. We're only talking about $80. for that 2k, but it still kills me that I f'd this up and would rather figure out some type of points transfer. I just don't think there's any moves to be made here without Marriott.  

If you’ve got a credit card signed up to their dining program, go have a nice dinner somewhere.

Edited by bgtp
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bgtp said:

If you’ve got a credit card signed up to their dining program, go have a nice dinner somewhere.

Been a while since I utilized that.  Do you recall how fast those points post?  I'd need something kind of immediate. 

48 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Been a while since I utilized that.  Do you recall how fast those points post?  I'd need something kind of immediate. 

Quick purchase via Shopping Portal?

How quickly do they post?

EDIT:

Just Googled it:

It takes 3-5 days for AAdvantage eShopping miles to post to your account, however, this could take up to 15 days. AAdvantage eShopping must wait for confirmation from the retailer before they can post the miles 

45 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Can’t remember. Maybe someone asked/answered that question in Flyertalk. Worth a look. Good luck.

What about eRewards for surveys?  Do you have any points with them?

I think they posted pretty quickly in the past for me.

• Like 1

If you don't have a Marriott balance,  you could buy 3,000 Bonvoy points ($37.50) and then transfer them as 1,000 AA miles.

Minimum to transfer to AA is 3,000 Bonvoy, which moves as 1,000 AA miles.

If my math is correct (and it probably isn't!  555), that seems like a slightly better deal that $80 for 2,000 AA miles (since it is less than 1/2 the cost).  That said, I don't know how quickly it would post (as opposed to AA purchase which will post right away)

• Like 1

You sent me down a rabbit hole on this one.....

I checked my eRewards balance and saw that I had enough credit to transfer as 500 miles to a variety of airline programs.  I THEN saw Virgin Atlantic was on the list of transferees.  I have some "orphaned" Virgin Atlantic miles - my balance is 5,648, so the 648 is an issue (I can transfer VA to Hilton (or others) in 1,000 mile increments).

I thought about moving 500 over to reduce my "orphaned" amount to only 148 miles, but then decided to play with Marriott.

Surprisingly, although the minimum transfer is 3,000 Bonvoy points, it allowed me transfer in LESS than 1,000 point increments.  I'm trying a transfer of 4,100 Bonvoy, which should come through as 1,366.7 VA miles.  I'm guessing they drop the .7, but that should take me to 7,014 VA miles, reducing my orphaned miles to only 14.

Probably a shitty use of 4,100 Bonvoy points, but it satisfies my OCD...momentarily!  5555

• Like 1

On 30/10/2019 at 15:48, Luv2Phuket said:

Speaking of AMEX MR, this news was pretty good:  Rakuten is now expanding their partnership with AMEX, so members can choose to earn MR instead of cash back:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/rakuten-ebates-membership-rewards/?utm_term=editorial&utm_content=F77A40DE-FB64-11E9-AE0C-C7DC4744363C&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thepointsguy&tw=1

As I understand it, 1 cent will equate to 1 MR.

I have just started using Rakuten over the past 6 to 9 months, but have racked up $32.72 in cash back (with more to come on a hotel stay in November and a rental car in December).  If the 1:1 rate is correct, then my past earnings would have gotten me 3,272 MRs.  Not a bad haul.

I've seen/used bonuses of 12% back (I think that's what I have coming for my IHG upcoming hotel stay), so I think that would flow through as 12 MRs per USD spent.  Since I think my rate is gonna be north of $350 USD, I think that would be 4200 MRs (over and above my IHG points and the points on my Chase IHG card).

To clarify, you cannot change past cash back into MRs; you can only opt to do it going forward.

I think MR points are worth more than 1 cent each, so it seems like the way to go.

A quick heads up/follow-up on the Rakuten deal for anyone looking to bulk up your MRs - they are running a promo today where you get 11% back from a wide variety of merchants, including IHG, Macys and others.  Macys also has a sale going today and tomorrow.

I have promised to bring my LLT more perfume, so it was a great opportunity to build some MRs for my Macy's purchase, while also cashing out a few of the growing stack of gift cards that I have accumulated.  Side perk was I already had an order ready to pick up in store, so now I should be able to pick up her gifts (and a sweater for myself) at the same time. 

If my math is correct, the purchases should net me almost 2,400 MRs.

More Rakuten/AMEX MR news -- 

I was looking at the Rakuten website a little while ago to check my balance, and noticed that they are now offering a % on purchases made in certain departments via Amazon.

ANYTHING that can get me extra points/credit/cashback for purchases on Amazon interests me!  5555

@Luv2Phuket I think u said u will be flying this soon??

Hey guys.  When I got home on Sept 8th, I tooks little break from PA,  but since my next trip is 2 weeks away I will give some reporting.

My Aug trip was my 1st biz class seat on Singapore A350-URL.  18 hours from LAX to SIN.  I was able to move to the bulkhead think it was 15K after doors closed.  And wow the bulkhead was HUGE so much room!  It felt just as big as my 1st class suite on Qatar a380.  So if u can search bulkhead it's a must.

The lounges in SIN suck badly, maybe I'm spoiled by having access to one world 1st class lounges in HK.  The only great lounge part was the star alliance lounge at LAX with the outside patio to plane spot and their sports theater.  Anyway, I digress was very underwhelmed with the lo unges, so took some time to leave the terminal and visit the jewel and it was well worth leaving for.    The interesting thing when entering back into the aiport.  No immigration.  Just fingerprint scanner.  Made it so easy.

My fight to bkk from SIN. Was on 787 newer seats but nothing special.  But more than ok for 2 hr flight 

On way home flew bkk to haneda via JAL 788. Very lackluckst seats.   Avoid if possible.    But on way to haneda to LAX I flew JL 777 Alex suites.  This was on my todo.   Though this suite was very private. I felt too tight, and JL ICE systems just plane sucks ...  hardly any movies.    I will avoid JL biz class in the future.   

1st few are JL. Rest was the SQ A350

20190908_174648.jpg

20190908_165500.jpg

20190829_093701.jpg

20190828_074431.jpg

20190828_075355.jpg

20190828_003530.jpg

20190828_154246.jpg

20190828_011619.jpg

20190828_000811.jpg

20190828_013413.jpg

20190828_013352.jpg

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 2

To add to my above post:   @Luv2Phuket @Little Evil

1.  My trip in two weeks, I decided to stay my last two nights in BKK.  I'm Marriott platinum elite, and booked 2 nights at the Mariott Queen Mariott Marquis Queen park, as I wanted to be close to BTS and walking distance to soi cowboy since I never went.    Anyone stay here?  Hoping they are generous with suite upgrades.

2.  My travel bucket list has always been Emirates 1st class on A380.  I have approx 500K bonvoy points.  Has anyone have experience with booking Emirates 1st class via marriott points.    Think my two options are transfer to JAL or Alaska.  I also heard to avoid the 1K surcharge fees u would want to book out of HKG..  would live to go to HKG to Dubai to experience their 1st class lounge.    And then I would have to go from DBX to JFK.  Any experience or Input would be helpful. 

Or worse case fly dubai to qatar and fly qatar to LAX via Qatar suites for 75K AA miles.   But not sure if 8 hours is enough for me on my Emirates leg. Hahah

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

I'm heading to the airport in only SIX DAYS to run an EXTREMELY similar route, with a few tweaks!

Next Tuesday night, I go LAX - SIN on the A-350 widebody.  I am in 12K.  I think 11K is bulkhead, but it is taken.  Looking at the seat map, biz covers rows 10-29, with 4 seats per row, except 10, which only has one seat.  By my count, that's 77 seats.  As of tonight, all but FIVE are booked!

I spend 2 days checking out Singapore, then take the short hop into BKK on a SQ A330.  It's a 2 hour flight and I am in business, so the 2-2-2 layout isn;t bothersome.  I am in the center section and the seat next to me is currently open (12 out of 30 not booked as of tonight)

I have used Book The Cook for both flights -- crab ravioli and Filet Mignon on the flgiht to SIN and lobster thermidor from SIN to BKK.

Like you, when I leave BKK, I route my way home through Japan!

My flight into Japan goes to Narita instead of Haneda.  I would have preferred Haneda -- better departure time and a more convenient location -- but it was about $2,500 more!

On the bright side, I am on a 787 Dreamliner to Narita.

I have meetings in Tokyo for a few days, then head back to LAX from Haneda on American -- actual AA flight; not a codeshare.  It's also a 787 Dreamliner.

Because of some kind of codeshare glitch, I cannot figure out how to book my meal from BKK to Narita, but I'm locked into the grilled beef filet on AA (NOT many choices -- just that, salmon, vegetable curry or "traditional Japanese meal").

Did you use BTC on Singapore?

@Luv2Phuket. Yes used the btc for the mignon, think that's one of my photos.    They block off bulkheads for elites. but when u get to the star alliance lounge at LAX talk to the SQ desk agent to see if its available..

The JL 787 to Japan are on those shell seats.  They are so terrible for a 6 hour flight.    Maybe u will have a better opinion.  But I was super uncomfortable.. I thought I hurt my knee because of the angle had a lot of weight on my knee when trying to sleep ..   will avoid JL biz going forward.   Will only book for cheap PE flights.     U lucked out  would much rather fly AA biz class on 787. Vs JL.     Food and IFE much better on AA.   But that's just my opinion

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

To add to my above post:   @Luv2Phuket @Little Evil

1.  My trip in two weeks, I decided to stay my last two nights in BKK.  I'm Marriott platinum elite, and booked 2 nights at the Mariott Queen Mariott Marquis Queen park, as I wanted to be close to BTS and walking distance to soi cowboy since I never went.    Anyone stay here?  Hoping they are generous with suite upgrades.

2.  My travel bucket list has always been Emirates 1st class on A380.  I have approx 500K bonvoy points.  Has anyone have experience with booking Emirates 1st class via marriott points.    Think my two options are transfer to JAL or Alaska.  I also heard to avoid the 1K surcharge fees u would want to book out of HKG..  would live to go to HKG to Dubai to experience their 1st class lounge.    And then I would have to go from DBX to JFK.  Any experience or Input would be helpful. 

Or worse case fly dubai to qatar and fly qatar to LAX via Qatar suites for 75K AA miles.   But not sure if 8 hours is enough for me on my Emirates leg. Hahah

No experience that would be helpful for either issue.  FWIW, when I flew Qatar 3 years ago, they had a shitty 2-2-2 layout in Biz between LAX and Qatar.  HUGE disappointment.

One question: why wouldn't you just transfer from Marriott straight to Emirates?  I see Emirates on the list and at the same transfer rate as Alaska and JAL (3:1).

Shoot me a PM and let me know when you're going to be in Bangkok -- it sounds like we may overlap, as I do Singapore, Pattaya and then 3 nights in Bangkok before I head to Tokyo.

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency (attached to the Nana BTS station), but I usually spend more time at Cowboy than Nana.  I figure the 29 baht (or whatever it is for one station on the BTS) makes it easy to check out both.

BTW, I have only flown through Changi once, and I had a very short layover, so I rushed straight to my gate.

This time, I have a 1 p.m. flight to BKK, so I will probably get up, head straight to the airport and spend some time checking out the airport and lounges.

3 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

No experience that would be helpful for either issue.  FWIW, when I flew Qatar 3 years ago, they had a shitty 2-2-2 layout in Biz between LAX and Qatar.  HUGE disappointment.

One question: why wouldn't you just transfer from Marriott straight to Emirates?  I see Emirates on the list and at the same transfer rate as Alaska and JAL (3:1).

Shoot me a PM and let me know when you're going to be in Bangkok -- it sounds like we may overlap, as I do Singapore, Pattaya and then 3 nights in Bangkok before I head to Tokyo.

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency (attached to the Nana BTS station), but I usually spend more time at Cowboy than Nana.  I figure the 29 baht (or whatever it is for one station on the BTS) makes it easy to check out both.

Yes, last year qatar installed their new Qsuites on their 777 that flies to LAX,  and they are amazing.  Best biz class in sky now.

Also the amount of miles Emirates require for 1st class is ridiculous.  So read best to transfer to JL or Alaska since they are partners and require much less miles.

I'll be in bkk dec 6 and 7th.  Fly home early on sunday the 8th.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Yes, last year qatar installed their new Qsuites on their 777 that flies to LAX,  and they are amazing.  Best biz class in sky now.

Also the amount of miles Emirates require for 1st class is ridiculous.  So read best to transfer to JL or Alaska since they are partners and require much less miles.

I'll be in bkk dec 6 and 7th.  Fly home early on sunday the 8th.    

Miss you by a week -- I am heading to Tokyo on the 2nd

11 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Hey guys.  When I got home on Sept 8th, I tooks little break from PA,  but since my next trip is 2 weeks away I will give some reporting.

My Aug trip was my 1st biz class seat on Singapore A350-URL.  18 hours from LAX to SIN.  I was able to move to the bulkhead think it was 15K after doors closed.  And wow the bulkhead was HUGE so much room!  It felt just as big as my 1st class suite on Qatar a380.  So if u can search bulkhead it's a must.

The lounges in SIN suck badly, maybe I'm spoiled by having access to one world 1st class lounges in HK.  The only great lounge part was the star alliance lounge at LAX with the outside patio to plane spot and their sports theater.  Anyway, I digress was very underwhelmed with the lo unges, so took some time to leave the terminal and visit the jewel and it was well worth leaving for.    The interesting thing when entering back into the aiport.  No immigration.  Just fingerprint scanner.  Made it so easy.

My fight to bkk from SIN. Was on 787 newer seats but nothing special.  But more than ok for 2 hr flight 

On way home flew bkk to haneda via JAL 788. Very lackluckst seats.   Avoid if possible.    But on way to haneda to LAX I flew JL 777 Alex suites.  This was on my todo.   Though this suite was very private. I felt too tight, and JL ICE systems just plane sucks ...  hardly any movies.    I will avoid JL biz class in the future.   

1st few are JL. Rest was the SQ A350

20190908_174648.jpg

20190908_165500.jpg

20190829_093701.jpg

20190828_074431.jpg

20190828_075355.jpg

20190828_003530.jpg

20190828_154246.jpg

20190828_011619.jpg

20190828_000811.jpg

20190828_013413.jpg

20190828_013352.jpg

Looks damn nice!  I still haven't gone Singapore, and it's killing me. Problem is two fold: 1) Routing options aren't great for my region and the problem is just one that I've never been able to fully embrace. That, Etihad and Emirates first are the last on my bucket list as well.  Good post!

Sorry to say, but I have no experience with the hotel game. While I love first class travel in planes, I'm oddly less picky when it comes to lodging. That usually means I'm not utilizing frequent stay programs. I'm sure LUV will hit you up with some Yoda knowledge on that topic. 

On 13/11/2019 at 21:32, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm heading to the airport in only SIX DAYS to run an EXTREMELY similar route....

I just did the math and realized I'm also heading to the airport in six days (only I read this 2 days late so it's now probably four days for you). Trying Qatar for the first time.

On 13/11/2019 at 21:50, HimBadMan said:

That's good to hear. Looks like I have Qsuites on 3 or my 4 legs, but stuck with their old 2-2-2 on BKK-DOH.

On 06/11/2019 at 11:43, Little Evil said:

I assume you have fixed this issue long before now, but, just in case, Marriott is selling points at a 30% discount, if you buy a minimum 2,000 points:

https://onemileatatime.com/buy-marriott-points/

• Like 2

On 16/11/2019 at 15:03, skink said:

That's good to hear. Looks like I have Qsuites on 3 or my 4 legs, but stuck with their old 2-2-2 on BKK-DOH.

They old 777 biz seats get a bad rep,  but they are very spacious and imo comfortable, especially for a 7 hr flight to bkk...   I like taking the a380 to bkk because I enjoy their bar on board.  And I'm just an a380 fanatic 

• Like 2