Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Another Amazon/AMEX promo: 20% off if you use at least 1 AMEX MR (capped at $50 off on $250 purchase).

https://onemileatatime.com/amazon-discount-amex/

It is targeted, and it only applies to stuff actually fulfilled through Amazon.

It works on gift cards and I probably should have added a few to max it out, but I just used it to snag a few more pairs of sneakers (even though I already have TOO MANY!). 

It appears to say it can be used on multiple purchases, but I don't know if that means multiple times OR multiple items in a single purchase.

I may check back and run a test, but I think it's single purchase/multiple items.

EDIT:

It DOES work over multiple purchases and it DOES work on grocery store gift cards.

I do the bulk of my shopping at a Vons that is a few blocks away.  No Vons GCs, but they DO have Safeway, and it says that it works at any Albertson's, Safeway, Randall's, Vons and Carrs.

I had $114 left that was eligible for the 20% discount, so I purchased a $50 GC and a $100 GC (went over the $250 discount limit, but I didn't see a $25 GC option that I would easily use).

It's basically pre-paying for groceries, but getting 20% off is pretty sweet!

23 hours ago, The Blue-Eyed Sheikh said:

I flew their 777 about five years ago trans-Pacific in business class, LAX-PEK, on an award ticket. The seat was great for the time and IMO, would still be pretty good, although it's a 2-2-2 setup, so the window seats don't have direct aisle access. Food was decent enough, service fairly perfunctory.

Overall, good enough that I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3200 CAD business class ticket for March.

TB-ES

Came up as 3200 CAD on the pricing screen, but ended up somehow as 2900 CAD once I got to payment ... not that I'm complaining.

TB-ES

Pressing question for my frequent flier brethren.....

I am scheduled to fly back from BKK in mid-February on Cathay, connecting through HKG.  I scored Cathay first using Alaska miles, so I do NOT want to give that one up!  555

While I think the chances are miniscule, I am somewhat concerned about Hong Kong shutting down flights.  Apparently, they have closed all schools until Feb. 17 and closed a number of popular tourist destinations.  They have shut down any travel connections to Wuhan, but still not to mainland China, as a whole (which reportedly has a number of citizens there pissed off).

I can change my December Korean Air award ticket to a return from BKK on the same night as my Cathay flight as a "fallback."  It will only cost me about $26 USD, and I could change it back to a December trip (for another $26) once I am certain that HKG is fully operational.

Part of me thinks that's an easy call to put my mind at ease, but I'm also thinking that there is NO WAY that they will shut down HKG airport unless this COMPLETELY out of control (and I would then have BIGGER concerns, as I would be in Thailand!  555).  Hell, if it got THAT bad, presumably ICN could be impacted, as well.

Curious what you guys would do?

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Part of me thinks that's an easy call to put my mind at ease, but I'm also thinking that there is NO WAY that they will shut down HKG airport unless this COMPLETELY out of control (and I would then have BIGGER concerns, as I would be in Thailand!  555).  Hell, if it got THAT bad, presumably ICN could be impacted, as well.

I agree $52 isn't much for the piece of mind. But as you say, if HKG is shutdown due to the virus, there would be bigger concerns. So, I probably wouldn't do anything and take my chances (I know, easy for me to say). You skipping Haikou on the way over now?

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Pressing question for my frequent flier brethren.....

I am scheduled to fly back from BKK in mid-February on Cathay, connecting through HKG.  I scored Cathay first using Alaska miles, so I do NOT want to give that one up!  555

While I think the chances are miniscule, I am somewhat concerned about Hong Kong shutting down flights.  Apparently, they have closed all schools until Feb. 17 and closed a number of popular tourist destinations.  They have shut down any travel connections to Wuhan, but still not to mainland China, as a whole (which reportedly has a number of citizens there pissed off).

I can change my December Korean Air award ticket to a return from BKK on the same night as my Cathay flight as a "fallback."  It will only cost me about $26 USD, and I could change it back to a December trip (for another $26) once I am certain that HKG is fully operational.

Current plans have me transiting Beijing (both ways) in almost exactly two months. I am not making any alternate arrangements at this time.

TB-ES

1 hour ago, bgtp said:

I agree $52 isn't much for the piece of mind. But as you say, if HKG is shutdown due to the virus, there would be bigger concerns. So, I probably wouldn't do anything and take my chances (I know, easy for me to say). You skipping Haikou on the way over now?

Yep - Haikou event was postponed due to concerns.

I was scrambling a few days ago, but was able to book a pretty sweet flight in: I'm on ANA biz with just over a 2-hour connection at Narita.  Only hassle is 11 p.m. arrival at BKK, but that's the night before I was supposed to get in, so it added about 12 hours to my trip (and cost me some Marriott Bonvoy points for that night).  

I've got my fingers crossed that she shit doesn't hit the fan this week, causing the girls in Bangkok and Pattaya to freak out.

• Like 2

Well, that became moot pretty quickly!  5555

I thought I found a way around it when American was showing Cathay first availability for my December trip, so I would just flip when I fly Cathay first and when I fly Korean first.  Avios showed no availability, but it was moot because Korean's availability on the 17th, 18th and 19th disappeared.

Guess I'll be rolling the dice after all!  555

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Well, that became moot pretty quickly!  5555

I thought I found a way around it when American was showing Cathay first availability for my December trip, so I would just flip when I fly Cathay first and when I fly Korean first.  Avios showed no availability, but it was moot because Korean's availability on the 17th, 18th and 19th disappeared.

Guess I'll be rolling the dice after all!  555

Rolling the dice myself through HKG this week going, and a similar Feb return, both on CX. I honestly think China/CX won't do anything with HKG. My only concern is if Trump/US decides to do anything rash like limit/prevent flights to/from.  I doubt it, but who knows.

My other concern is that I'm just coming off a bronchial infection and still have lingering coughing. HKG health checkpoints could be an issue if they see me coughing and think I have the Sars 2.0. Heard a weird rumor that HKG also has long distance scanning thermometers to check people's temperature at distance. Crazy if true. Have to remember to pack cough drops. Also wonder if a mask is a good idea in HKG while out in the general concourse to protect me from god knows what. 

18 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Rolling the dice myself through HKG this week going, and a similar Feb return, both on CX. I honestly think China/CX won't do anything with HKG. My only concern is if Trump/US decides to do anything rash like limit/prevent flights to/from.  I doubt it, but who knows.

My other concern is that I'm just coming off a bronchial infection and still have lingering coughing. HKG health checkpoints could be an issue if they see me coughing and think I have the Sars 2.0. Heard a weird rumor that HKG also has long distance scanning thermometers to check people's temperature at distance. Crazy if true. Have to remember to pack cough drops. Also wonder if a mask is a good idea in HKG while out in the general concourse to protect me from god knows what. 

Because of its experience with SARS and its role as a gateway airport to Asia, I wouldn't be surprised if HKG has some amazing tech to check people at the airport.  I imagine it is thermal scanners.  I recall seeing signage to the effect that your body temperature was being scanned as I walked through HKG once.

I would wear a mask on the concourse in HKG.  Hell, I'll probably wear one on the concourse in Narita (and DEFINITELY at BKK!)

I've blown about $100 on a variety of masks and filters, as well as a box of 100 surgical-style masks (which may or may not arrive before I leave).  The 100 pack was complete overkill, but I read the masks were hard to come by in Asia, and figured I would give them to friends who had concerns.  Then I saw that they are handing them out in Pattaya, so that plan may have been flawed!  5555

• Like 2

I have a couple Cambridge Mask Co. masks in a bugout back I packed years ago just for safe keeping. Maybe I should bring one of those. 

Also wonder if a mask is a good idea in HKG while out in the general concourse to protect me from god knows what. 

I just transited thru HKG. I'd guess 95% of the people in the concourses were wearing masks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, skink said:

The current IHG Pointbreaks list expires Jan 31st. Usually the next list would post the Monday before around lunch time which never happened today. Now I see someone reporting that they might be going away:  https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/01/27/ihg-nukes-pointbreaks/

That sucks!  Although they sadly never lined up with one of my trips.

@Luv2Phuket  @Little Evil  

Jumped on a really good Qatar biz class flight from LAX to Kuala Lumper for my Nov Trip.  All 4 segments in Qsuites and the LAX to DOHA will be on the a350-1000 that is expected to hit that route in may.

The ticket was Around $2350, I purchased it from my Chase UR portal, and added 50K UR points which equaled $750 with my chase sapphire reserv, so about $1600 out of pocket for 22 hours of qsuites.   Plus my layover in Doha is 2 hours each way.   

I just have to position myself to bkk, but flights from KUL to BKK are about 175 for econony or 400 for biz..   not sure if u guys have any input on this?

This is just after this weekend I purchased an EVA Premium Economy ticket on EVA.  LAX to BKK for 1200 minus my 300 CSR yearly travel credit so $900 OOP.

A few days ago I also booked my may trip via AA points,  only flight available was flying to SEA to BKK via CX A350 in biz. I never flew their long haul biz an a350. Just short hop from.hkg to bkk.  .im still looking for an award back home on may 25. I Have an economy award booked just to hold something until biz opens.  Really bummed about flying out of Seattle.  Heard their lounges suck.  I'm spoiled flying out of LAX.

I also thought I was going to switch from OW to Star Alliance this year. But that qatar fare and flights will get me to sapphire 

But I'm gonna open a chase United club visa, to get star alliance lounge access for my EVA flights,  cost is 450,  it comes with 50K united miles, and I will credit my EVA flight to my united account which should get me close to another biz award via SA...     any suggestions?

I flew qatar a few years ago in their old biz class which I enjoyed.  And flew in their 1st class a380 from Doha to bkk which was amazing.  So looking forward to qsuites to see how they stack up to the Singapore a350 biz I recently flew.

Those are my updates and plans this year...

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I left bkk on xmas day super sick,  fever of 102 plus.  I caught a really bad kidney infection prior to my trip (should have cancelled)  but thought it would get better.  I was wrong..  

Anyway I was worry about that when I also transit through hkg because they have the quarantine section...   I just walked by with no issues.    Was an interesting test to see if they would stop me cause I for sure had the 102 fever since I bought a thermometer..   maybe they just cause about the Chinese.   Who knows. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 19:37, Luv2Phuket said:

Yep - Haikou event was postponed due to concerns.

I was scrambling a few days ago, but was able to book a pretty sweet flight in: I'm on ANA biz with just over a 2-hour connection at Narita.  Only hassle is 11 p.m. arrival at BKK, but that's the night before I was supposed to get in, so it added about 12 hours to my trip (and cost me some Marriott Bonvoy points for that night).  

I've got my fingers crossed that she shit doesn't hit the fan this week, causing the girls in Bangkok and Pattaya to freak out.

I'm waiting for those beautiful new ana biz class products to fly to LAX or just the west coast.  Hopefully soon!!

[mention=32621]Luv2Phuket[/mention]  [mention=47174]Little Evil[/mention]  
Jumped on a really good Qatar biz class flight from LAX to Kuala Lumper for my Nov Trip.  All 4 segments in Qsuites and the LAX to DOHA will be on the a350-1000 that is expected to hit that route in may.
The ticket was Around $2350, I purchased it from my Chase UR portal, and added 50K UR points which equaled $750 with my chase sapphire reserv, so about $1600 out of pocket for 22 hours of qsuites.   Plus my layover in Doha is 2 hours each way.   
I just have to position myself to bkk, but flights from KUL to BKK are about 175 for econony or 400 for biz..   not sure if u guys have any input on this?
This is just after this weekend I purchased an EVA Premium Economy ticket on EVA.  LAX to BKK for 1200 minus my 300 CSR yearly travel credit so $900 OOP.
A few days ago I also booked my may trip via AA points,  only flight available was flying to SEA to BKK via CX A350 in biz. I never flew their long haul biz an a350. Just short hop from.hkg to bkk.  .im still looking for an award back home on may 25. I Have an economy award booked just to hold something until biz opens.  Really bummed about flying out of Seattle.  Heard their lounges suck.  I'm spoiled flying out of LAX.
I also thought I was going to switch from OW to Star Alliance this year. But that qatar fare and flights will get me to sapphire 
But I'm gonna open a chase United club visa, to get star alliance lounge access for my EVA flights,  cost is 450,  it comes with 50K united miles, and I will credit my EVA flight to my united account which should get me close to another biz award via SA...     any suggestions?
I flew qatar a few years ago in their old biz class which I enjoyed.  And flew in their 1st class a380 from Doha to bkk which was amazing.  So looking forward to qsuites to see how they stack up to the Singapore a350 biz I recently flew.
Those are my updates and plans this year...

You’ve been on a booking frenzy!

I just saw something in a blog about great Q Suites availability out of LAX. Biggest bummer for me on the cancellation of my trip to Hainan was the loss of 2500 EQDs and 10.000 EQMs - I gotta find a way to make those up! 555

As of Feb 18, I will still be at 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only flew Qatar once and my route hasn't been updated to Qsuites yet. I figured I'd at least get them for BKK to DOH, but no luck. They look very private, which is a huge plus for me. 

6 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Only flew Qatar once and my route hasn't been updated to Qsuites yet. I figured I'd at least get them for BKK to DOH, but no luck. They look very private, which is a huge plus for me. 

Cancelled my Lax to KUL.  Qatar  because saw a cheaper fair from LAX to bkk all 4 segs in qsuites.   Flight was 200 cheaper and avoids me needing to get to bkk from kul

What is your home aiport ??

I just about shit myself when I ran a search for Qatar fares for my November trip.....but I was looking at pricing EACH WAY!  5555

Still, I could do Q-Suites on the same dates that I am currently traveling (on miles) for $2550 RT.  

Fare code is R, so, if I'm reading the AA chart correctly, I would get 100% of the base miles, 1.5 EQMs per mile flown and 20% EQDs.  No fucking way that I can figure out the base miles, but it should be almost 35,000 EQMs RT (a little over 23,000 miles RT) and only about 500 EQDs.

The obvious advantage to a miles booking is the minimal penalty to cancel (these fares are virtually non-refundable and have HUGE change fees), BUT it would really push me towards Platinum for 2021.  AND I am dying to try Q Suites!  5555

I'm gonna have to think about this....

On 27/01/2020 at 14:56, Little Evil said:

Did I just fucking jinx myself? Whitehouse announced they are discussing suspending flights to/from China. 

26 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Did I just fucking jinx myself? Whitehouse announced they are discussing suspending flights to/from China. 

But that might mean mainland China, nto HKG. 

I think HKG is shutting down most travel to/from mainland China.

EDIT:

Here's what I found - posted 17 min. ago:

Trump administration considering suspending commercial flights to and from mainland China

The Trump Administration is weighing temporarily suspending commercial flights to and from mainland China, multiple sources told CBS News. Multiple agencies are involved in the deliberations, which were described as a coronavirus working group.

The sources said that the situation is being reevaluated daily, and that airlines have been briefed on the deliberations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I just about shit myself when I ran a search for Qatar fares for my November trip.....but I was looking at pricing EACH WAY!  5555

Still, I could do Q-Suites on the same dates that I am currently traveling (on miles) for $2550 RT.  

Fare code is R, so, if I'm reading the AA chart correctly, I would get 100% of the base miles, 1.5 EQMs per mile flown and 20% EQDs.  No fucking way that I can figure out the base miles, but it should be almost 35,000 EQMs RT (a little over 23,000 miles RT) and only about 500 EQDs.

The obvious advantage to a miles booking is the minimal penalty to cancel (these fares are virtually non-refundable and have HUGE change fees), BUT it would really push me towards Platinum for 2021.  AND I am dying to try Q Suites!  5555

I'm gonna have to think about this....

Your AA EQDs will be just under 5000!  Its 20% of the flight miles and it will get u around 35K EQMs.   The redeemable miles vary on your elite status.    But yes for 2500 RT ticket in THE best biz class,  will earn u close to 5K EQDs.    I booked that exact fare this morning with using same chase points. To knock the price down a little bit.    It's hard to justify not to buy that fare.

PS.  I booked Nov 19th to nov 30.

To add.  If u book on your CSR or Amex Plat You earn 3x or 5x points!  That's why I used some UR points at 1.5x. Cause I was earning 6000+ UR points and just under 40K AAdavatage  miles.

Edited by HimBadMan

Your AA EQDs will be just under 5000!  Its 20% of the flight miles and it will get u around 35K EQMs.   The redeemable miles vary on your elite status.    But yes for 2500 RT ticket in THE best biz class,  will earn u close to 5K EQDs.    I booked that exact fare this morning with using same chase points. To knock the price down a little bit.    It's hard to justify not to buy that fare.
PS.  I booked Nov 19th to nov 30.
To add.  If u book on your CSR or Amex Plat You earn 3x or 5x points!  That's why I used some UR points at 1.5x. Cause I was earning 6000+ UR points and just under 40K AAdavatage  miles.

I thought it was 20% of the fare paid?

I’m leaning HEAVILY towards buying it!

5X AMEX.....PLUS I snag another 1% back in AMEX MR by clicking on the Rakuten link.

My flight dates would be VERY similar - think I would go in the day before and out the day after. The 1 a.m. departure kinda sucks, but that’s what I’m on now with Korean Air.

Korean devaluation kicks in April 1, 2021, so I could just move that award ticket back for my February 2021 trip. Change fee is only about $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk