IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

I'm still considering my next credit card option.  I'm leaning towards the B of A Alaska Alaska card, but I can't remember how long ago it was that I had one of them and whether I had the personal, business or both?  

I'm going to look through my Alaska account and see if I can figure out when the bonus last hit.

The 40k bonus is pretty nice (I have around 5,000 miles after my recent JAL redemption), and I am late on making an estimated tax payment that would easily cover the minimum spend.

19 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Pretty detailed review of Cathay's The Wing First Class lounge in HKG.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/cathay-pacific-the-wing-first-lounge/

I have only had the time to use a cabana room once, and it was pretty damn great!

One of the things I REALLY like about that lounge may be "con" to some -- it is a little isolated at the end of the Terminal, BUT that is very close to the gate at which the 12:15 a.m. HKG to LAX flight almost always leaves.

I'm flying Cathay first (booked Alaska miles) with almost a 3 hour layover on my way back from Bangkok in February, and plan to spend a good chunk of that time in The Wing (although no need for a shower after less than a 3 hour flight from BKK!).

The Wing used to be the only one I'd use, but I've noticed a few changes in the last 5+ years. First time I ever used the Wing First Class section, they would almost immediately offer you caviar if you hung out in the champagne section by the dedicated F entrance (near the shower area). Last three times there, it was completely DIY champagne and no caviar offered. Unsure if they'd provide it if you ask, but I stayed there once for an entire bottle of rose, and still didn't get offered. I've also never been able to book a cabana. Timing issues I guess, but without those two service separators, I just go to the one closest to my gate now. I appreciate the Pier First Class' bar area.  In fact, I like the entire layout a bit more in the Pier, but I suppose that's all subjective. 

BTW, does anybody following this thread have the B of A Alaska business card (think that's where I am headed)?

If so, check and see if you can get bonus miles for sending me a referral link, and I will use it when I apply - PM it to me.

I usually apply via links in travel blogs, but would rather a fellow BM get the bump, as opposed to some unknown travel blogger.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

BTW, does anybody following this thread have the B of A Alaska business card (think that's where I am headed)?

If so, check and see if you can get bonus miles for sending me a referral link, and I will use it when I apply - PM it to me.

I usually apply via links in travel blogs, but would rather a fellow BM get the bump, as opposed to some unknown travel blogger.

I only have the personal BoA Alaska card, but good looking out for others! Funny you mention this. On the last 3 or so cards I've gotten, I always remembered about the referral after pulling the trigger.  I'm sure we are collectively missing out on tens of thousands of points here by forgetting this part, so good on you for promoting it! 

I'm set for cards for a while, but if I end up going for some new promotion, I'll check in with y'all first for a referral opportunity for someone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

I only have the personal BoA Alaska card, but good looking out for others! Funny you mention this. On the last 3 or so cards I've gotten, I always remembered about the referral after pulling the trigger.  I'm sure we are collectively missing out on tens of thousands of points here by forgetting this part, so good on you for promoting it! 

I'm set for cards for a while, but if I end up going for some new promotion, I'll check in with y'all first for a referral opportunity for someone. 

If I decide to go the personal card route (always a possibility), I will shoot you a PM

I always forget about referral issues, but this thread could be a good way to "give back" to other BMs when we are out looking for new cards

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I have that card but I don't see anything about referrals at the moment.

@skink  @Little Evil @Luv2Phuket.    Just FYI i was able to secure JAL Award ticket from BKK to San Diego via NRT the other day via Aadvantage miles on AA website for my flight home on 9/8

The BKK to NRT on 788-  neo shell seats.   For the 6 hour flight.  Bummer. But the 788 from NRT to San Diego is in Apex suites that hit that route effective 4/1/19.  Super excited to try the apex suites.  I picked a window suite and thr privacy looks awesome.   Only bummer it's only a 10 hour flight .   70K AA milew

My flight to BKK on 28th of Aug is on Singapre A350URL.   17 hours of business class, which I'm extremely excited for.   I chose a 10 hour layover to explore singapre and Chani airport as I want to see the Jewel..     also booked their new 787 biz seat from SIN to BKK.  Booked this via Kris Flyer. By transferring 95K UR points.

Was just approved for Barclays AA Aviator BIZ card that had a nice sign up bonus of 75K miles after only 1K spend.    Hoping next trip is LAX to QATAR QSuites for 15 hours for 80K AA miles 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

@skink  @Little Evil @Luv2Phuket.    Just FYI i was able to secure JAL Award ticket from BKK to San Diego via NRT the other day via Aadvantage miles on AA website for my flight home on 9/8

The BKK to NRT on 788-  neo shell seats.   For the 6 hour flight.  Bummer. But the 788 from NRT to San Diego is in Apex suites that hit that route effective 4/1/19.  Super excited to try the apex suites.  I picked a window suite and thr privacy looks awesome.   Only bummer it's only a 10 hour flight .   70K AA milew

My flight to BKK on 28th of Aug is on Singapre A350URL.   17 hours of business class, which I'm extremely excited for.   I chose a 10 hour layover to explore singapre and Chani airport as I want to see the Jewel..     also booked their new 787 biz seat from SIN to BKK.  Booked this via Kris Flyer. By transferring 95K UR points.

Was just approved for Barclays AA Aviator BIZ card that had a nice sign up bonus of 75K miles after only 1K spend.    Hoping next trip is LAX to QATAR QSuites for 15 hours for 80K AA miles 

SUH-WEET!

AA for 70k in business on JAL is a great deal to me.  Even though Alaska does it at 65k, I am closing in on 500,000 AA miles and desperate to find a way to use some of them!

I'm doing Singapore in November -- didn't even KNOW they had 787 service from SIN-BKK (but it's only a 2 1/2 hour flight).  I'm doing a 2 day layover in Singapore, with the goal of lots of sightseeing, food and photos of both.  Since it's prior to Pattaya, I'm unsure whether I will monger there.

I'm thinking of monitoring ANA first availability for upcoming trips -- I keep reading about absurd redemption through Virgin Atlantic of 110k RT from LAX to Tokyo.  The hassle is having to then book a separate award from Tokyo to BKK.  To make it "work," I would need to find a good rate on miles from Tokyo to BKK.

I ran a test booking on BA, and it is 77,500 Avios miles for JAL biz class RT (and I have about 65,000 Avios miles I am dying to burn).  It's 90k United for ANA from Tokyo-BKK RT.  The "deal" is AA Milesaver Business class on JAL at only 60k RT. 

Assuming I could find availability, that could be as low as 170,000 RT for ANA first/JAL biz.  85,000 each way doesn't sound like a bad deal for that line-up to me (assuming I could find availability and NOT have to spend an expensive night in a Tokyo hotel....although that's what all those hotel points are for! 555)

FWIW, I didn't even know there WAS an Aviator Biz card!  I've been Aviator Silver for a while.  75k for $1000 spend is a GREAT deal!

On 21/07/2019 at 14:38, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm still considering my next credit card option.  I'm leaning towards the B of A Alaska Alaska card, but I can't remember how long ago it was that I had one of them and whether I had the personal, business or both?  

I'm going to look through my Alaska account and see if I can figure out when the bonus last hit.

The 40k bonus is pretty nice (I have around 5,000 miles after my recent JAL redemption), and I am late on making an estimated tax payment that would easily cover the minimum spend.

I was thinking of getting a mileage credit card but don't think I can spend (on purchases) the $3K over 3 months to qualify for the free miles.

Does a "cash advance" on the credit card typically count towards spending a minimum of $X,000 in the first X months (to get the free miles) ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

1 minute ago, sulu said:

I was thinking of getting a mileage credit card but don't think I can spend (on purchases) the $3K over 3 months to qualify for the free miles.

Does a "cash advance" on the credit card typically count towards spending a minimum of $X,000 in the first X months (to get the free miles) ?

Cash advance would NOT work, but buying $500 Visa gift cards would.

Here's a blog on ways to hit it:  https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-card-minimum-spend-requirements/

32 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Cash advance would NOT work, but buying $500 Visa gift cards would.

Here's a blog on ways to hit it:  https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-card-minimum-spend-requirements/

Gift cards ? Hmmmmmmm. I don't suppose gift cards can be turned back for cash ? :LMFAO:

@Luv2Phuket. Yikes 500K AA miles?  I'm sitting on just over 200k still and trying to burn some before they devalue ,  they will be going to dynamic award pricing anytime,  and shouldn't hurt partner award for now.  But still think wise to burn them asap.  

Did you see the new ANA 1st and biz class suites?   Although they will only be London to haneda for now.. I want to try ANA badly and a great deal if you can score them via UR on Virgin.  I didnt know how cheap that was.    And finding a flight to BKK from Tokyo shouldn't be terrible..

How did u get stuck with 65 avios.   But sure can burn them easily,  but just have to avoid their nasty fuel surcharge fees 

[mention=32621]Luv2Phuket[/mention]. Yikes 500K AA miles?  I'm sitting on just over 200k still and trying to burn some before they devalue ,  they will be going to dynamic award pricing anytime,  and shouldn't hurt partner award for now.  But still think wise to burn them asap.  
Did you see the new ANA 1st and biz class suites?   Although they will only be London to haneda for now.. I want to try ANA badly and a great deal if you can score them via UR on Virgin.  I didnt know how cheap that was.    And finding a flight to BKK from Tokyo shouldn't be terrible..
How did u get stuck with 65 avios.   But sure can burn them easily,  but just have to avoid their nasty fuel surcharge fees 

I got the Chase BA card years ago after reading they were easy to burn on AA awards....that I go was WAY off! 5555

I’ve been building AA miles every month with my Aviator card and by actual ass-in-seat miles.

Even though Alaska is far cheaper (for both Cathay and JAL), I REALLY should be burning AA to Asia! That’s why the news of JAL booking availability was so good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, sulu said:

Gift cards ? Hmmmmmmm. I don't suppose gift cards can be turned back for cash ? :LMFAO:

Depending on the type of gift card they can. For example, you can use most $500 Visa gift cars (like Luv2Phuket mentioned) to purchase a money order which can be turned back for cash.

4 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I got the Chase BA card years ago after reading they were easy to burn on AA awards....that I go was WAY off! 5555

I don't live next to a major hub and have been able to to use BA Avios for positioning flights on AA metal. Usually on an Alaska awards when I can't mix partners, or when United only offers coach for the 1st leg.

I don't live next to a major hub and have been able to to use BA Avios for positioning flights on AA metal. Usually on an Alaska awards when I can't mix partners, or when United only offers coach for the 1st leg.

Oddly, being 15 minutes from LAX (+ 20 more to get thru the traffic once I get there! 555) has worked against me on that front

10 hours ago, skink said:

I've been looking at a lot of Untied flights lately, mostly because they're they least expensive from Miami.

Also been looking at award travel and it seems that NO United flights were on the itinerary. I believe I've seen Swiss Air to Europe and Thai Airways to BKK and the return was the same 2 in reverse.

1 hour ago, sulu said:

I've been looking at a lot of Untied flights lately, mostly because they're they least expensive from Miami.

Also been looking at award travel and it seems that NO United flights were on the itinerary. I believe I've seen Swiss Air to Europe and Thai Airways to BKK and the return was the same 2 in reverse.

Based out of MIA that might be one of your best options. At certain times of the year you'll probably see Austrian Airlines and Finnair show up as well. If you are flying business class I'd look for the Europe to BKK leg on one of those 3 over Thai Airways, if the seat maps are 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-2. If you don't mind that layout then Lufthansa would be another option (I think SAS too but I haven't flow them). I'm not a fan of Turkish Airlines but if you can't find availability on better options they fly MIA-IST-BKK. 

2 minutes ago, skink said:

Based out of MIA that might be one of your best options. At certain times of the year you'll probably see Austrian Airlines and Finnair show up as well. If you are flying business class I'd look for the Europe to BKK leg on one of those 3 over Thai Airways, if the seat maps are 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-2. If you don't mind that layout then Lufthansa would be another option (I think SAS too but I haven't flow them). I'm not a fan of Turkish Airlines but if you can't find availability on better options they fly MIA-IST-BKK. 

No, no, no. No business class for me. I'm a retiree on a bud-get !!! LOL

When one searches on United's site one gets all sorts of airline options with their Star Alliance partners. I flew via United with Lufthansa and Thai air once before. Not bad.

Absolutely best route from MIA, especially since they opened a non-stop Doha to MIA flight, is QATAR. And QATAR is always a Top 5 airline for international travel. And my last trip on QATAR they were also either the cheapest flight or only a small premium above the cheapest flight (maybe $40 RT). You can get from MIA to BKK in as little as 21 hours. On the way back it's about 24. 1 connection in Doha. By coincidence I was on the maiden flight from DOH-MIA a few years ago.

If you fly primarily United (and, in turn, Star Alliance), you could consider the Chase United Explorer card -- I think it is offering a 40,000 mile bonus after $2,00 minimum spend.  That cuts your minimum spend by 1/3 and you're still getting the miles where you would most likely use them.

8 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

If you fly primarily United (and, in turn, Star Alliance), you could consider the Chase United Explorer card -- I think it is offering a 40,000 mile bonus after $2,00 minimum spend.  That cuts your minimum spend by 1/3 and you're still getting the miles where you would most likely use them.

That's my primary card now,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laugh1:

1 hour ago, sulu said:

That's my primary card now,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laugh1:

Have you also gotten Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points (that can be transferred to United) such as their Sapphire or Ink cards?

Have you also gotten Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points (that can be transferred to United) such as their Sapphire or Ink cards?

That would be my suggestion, too.

I think Chase UR are the only transfer partner for United.

I would look at the Sapphire Preferred (as opposed to the higher priced Reserve).

I flew over on United Polaris earlier this week and thought it was good enough for business class. It wasn’t  my first choice, but at the time I booked, back in November, they had space on my dates. Here’s a few quick thoughts.

i started in BOS. Domestic United club there was nothing notable in either a good or bad way, but food selection was limited. Fortunately, the restaurant next door took Priority Pass and I had a nice crab cake eggs benedict for breakfast. The Polaris Club in EWR was pretty good. Access is limited to business long haul passengers only and there were hardly any passengers there at the time. There’s a sit down restaurant with a small menu to order from as well as a buffet if you prefer to serve yourself. One of the nicest business lounges I’ve been in here stateside while waiting to head overseas.

I'm not sure how far along United is retrofitting older planes with the new seats, but my flight from EWR to HKG was on a B777-300ER with the new seats. Seat was fine and I slept well. As good as CX, but not as good as JAL Sky Suite. I’m tall and lanky and fit ok. Soft product was great with pajamas and mattress pad available on request. Only odd thing I noticed was that neither the clubs nor long haul flight had any newspapers available. Maybe they figure everybody’s gone digital and nobody reads them anymore.

HKG-BKK was in Thai business on a A350-900. I lied down for a little bit before the meal and the flatbed was comfortable. Overall, a good trip. I got here well rested, in one piece and on my preferred travel date. Award was 75K United miles. I’d have no problem using United Polaris again in the future. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skink said:

9 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

That would be my suggestion, too.

I think Chase UR are the only transfer partner for United.

I would look at the Sapphire Preferred (as opposed to the higher priced Reserve).

Youse guyz are probably right. I should take (another) look at those cards.

Only reason I haven't is the (previously ?) piss poor descriptions of how many "points" (NOT miles) were needed to get how many "miles" and which airlines they could be converted to.

Then again, it seems like all of these "bonus miles/points" cards have a $3K minimum spending within 3 months to get the bonus points/miles and I actually would have a hard time meeting that as in retirement I don't spend that much,,,,,,,,

I guess I SHOULD revisit the card though and really dive into the conversion process though. 

Thanks

Sent from my iMac using my keyboard

Edited by sulu
Because I wanted to