IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

FWIW, I pulled the trigger on the purchase of 20,000 Alaska miles.  With the 8,000 mile bonus, that puts me at a healthy level of Alaska miles (120,500).

Bummed that purchases go through Points.com, so (AIUI) they do NOT get the bonus credit for airline purchases.

I still got some bonus AMEX MR out of it - I got a 2nd card issued on my account in my Mom's name. No annual fee (it's Gold, not Platinum), but they promised 5,000 MR after $500 spend on that card.  Easy to do with the online Alaska miles purchase (with fees/taxes in $590 range), so hopefully I will get the promised bonus in the coming statements. 

I considered buying another 1,000 miles to bring my 500 "spare" miles up above 1,000, but Alaska has an online shopping program, so it should be easy to round those miles up at some point (unlike the "odd' miles in my Virgin Atlantic and Singapore accounts!  555)

18 hours ago, skink said:

I wish I could get that UA biz 75k offer but I'm way over 5/24.

Welp, it looks like I'm out for the foreseeable future on Chase cards, too.  Not 5/24, but "too many" Chase cards - I currently have 7 (I just dropped one - ironically my personal United Explorer card), 4 of which are business cards (for 3 different businesses). 

Despite my trying to explain the purpose of card #8 (for a subsidiary of one of the businesses(, she was having none of it and just didn't grasp the concept.

Of the 3 personal cards, they are all "keepers" - 2 IHG that get me annual free nights and other perks and a Hyatt that scores me an annual free night and upgraded status.  The 4 business include a Marriott and 3 Inks.  I like how the Inks help me build UR, but may consider dropping one of them ion the future -- couldn't do it on this call, because it would have completely contradicted "why" I claimed to need the additional card.  The Marriott card scores me -- you guessed it -- an annual free night and upgraded status, and I'm going to have a ton of expenses at a convention at a Marriott in May, so it's not going anywhere any time soon. 

Now I gotta figure out what direction I am going to go - I'll probably go with either Cap One personal or Cap One business (higher minimum spend, but I think it goes on business tax id number, as opposed to my SSN).

It won't help free up a Chase slot for you, but I had 3 Inks and downgraded 1 to a Freedom and another to an Ink Cash. For the Ink 5x office supply bonus, Office Depot/Max has $10 off $300+ in Visa gift cards this week. Not the best of the sales like that they run, but still an easy way to top off UR points. I have a big loop route I can take to hit 5 or 6 stores during a work day.

I saw the Amex MR to Avianca Life Miles 15% transfer bonus and didn't find anything I wanted to book. Seems now they have an Asia sale and the two can stack. I can't try booking until tomorrow but this guy found LAX-HKG in EVA J for 56K MR points.  

http://lazytravelers.net/save-25-business-class-asia-amex-points-lifemiles-lifemiles-sale/

I've been looking for CX award space from West Coast to BKK since Jan 1st for my July trip and absolutely zero luck.  Plus I never ever see JL space available.      I wanted to use my Aviator card to get my 10K rebate before they get rid of that benefit in May.  Such garbage. That was only reason I have card.  So I will cancel 

I also have waisted SQ flights for same time. But hate using 190K UR points ..      I never jumped on the AS program.  But hear its extremely difficult to book CX awards with AS miles lately 

43 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

I've been looking for CX award space from West Coast to BKK since Jan 1st for my July trip and absolutely zero luck.  Plus I never ever see JL space available.      I wanted to use my Aviator card to get my 10K rebate before they get rid of that benefit in May.  Such garbage. That was only reason I have card.  So I will cancel 

I also have waisted SQ flights for same time. But hate using 190K UR points ..      I never jumped on the AS program.  But hear its extremely difficult to book CX awards with AS miles lately 

As mentioned above, I think the Cathay mistake fares have fucked up everything between Asia and the USA until 2020.

I have found United's search engine surprisingly good for looking for Star Alliance availability.  Not the quality of SQ, but you save 10k UR.

You don't have any Korean miles squirreled away, do you?

Any possibility of Qatar using AA (before they bolt oneworld)?

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

The good thing about Asia Miles is that they are often 1:1 with KVS availability when using CX as the search method. Their website is pretty straight forward as well regarding availability vs wait list.  However, and this is huge, it would immediately appear that they force you to book awards in legs if coming from distance. For instance, BOS to BKK via HKG does not show up. If you put in BOS, BKK isn't even an option on the next window. HKG shows up. If you put in HKG, then BKK shows up, but not BOS. The kicker is that the highest milage tier should technically cover BOS to BKK, but they don't allow that via the website. Maybe calling in is different, but I haven't tried. On the up shot, they will give Asia Miles members priority over Alaska, BA, AA, and JL. Only MPC beats Asia Miles. I've pulled seats on Asia Miles that didn't show up on BA. 

Edited to say that the reason why that leg booking is important (or extremely bad) is because you have to cough up separate miles for the short leg, as opposed to being wrapped up in the initial award. 

Edited by Little Evil
I'm an idiot

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

As mentioned above, I think the Cathay mistake fares have fucked up everything between Asia and the USA until 2020.

I have found United's search engine surprisingly good for looking for Star Alliance availability.  Not the quality of SQ, but you save 10k UR.

You don't have any Korean miles squirreled away, do you?

Any possibility of Qatar using AA (before they bolt oneworld)?

Yeah I've been looking at United website and see most are charging 90K eqch way.  Have been looking for EVA..    unfortunately with AA miles you cannot book Qatar USA to BKK.. you have to buy two award tix.  One to middle east.  Then middle east to bkk..

I made sure to use all my KE miles once they left UR.  I sure do miss their awards. Although their F and J is very subpar. But at least there was availability 

CLEAR example today of why it pays to review FlyerTalk every now and then....

I rarely read it these days, as people can get a bit condescending if you don't fly 2 million miles a year, but I checked it today when I noticed that my two $100 AA gift cards purchased with my Hilton Aspire card has not been credits.....posted in the AA thread is a BIG note in red that AA GCs are no longer credited back after mid-February.  Apparently, there was a change in how the charge is coded when AA gets it, and it has cut off this once valuable boondoggle.

All is not lost for me, as I used the 2 GCs on an airfare that was fully reimbursed anyway, but I was thinking I would get the $200 in my pocket.

I have a trip to Hawaii for a convention in May.  Rather than ship some giveaways over, I'm thinking of just checking a couple of boxes as extra bags and getting reimbursed for those charges (while my Aspire card reimburses me up to $250).

I "cashed out" my AMEX Platinum credit on a trip to Hawaii late last month, as I incurred a $200 change fee (but still had to call AMEX to get it, as AA mis-coded it).

Disappointed that the GC purchases no longer work, but the terms were pretty clear that they should not.  It was a nice perk while it lasted....sigh....

I had the same thing happen with AA gift cards. Amex let me change my qualifying airline a week or two ago. Their terms say that you have to change in January but it was really easy via online chat.

Not airline-related, but I think that thread has morphed into a general place for mile or hotel point tips.

Hyatt's category changes kick in tomorrow - https://onemileatatime.com/hyatt-2019-category-changes/

While these changes usually are lamented, there are a number of Hyatt properties that are dropping in category, including the Grand Hyatt Erawan, which will now be a Category 3 hotel:  https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/en/landing/award-category-chart-updates.html#/Asia

I often cash out annual free night certificates at this hotel, but with the nightly rate dropping to 12,000 Hyatt points, I think I may be spending a few more nights there on upcoming trips.

I also see that the Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhimvit has dropped to a Category 1 hotel -- only 5,000 points per night.  I've never stayed there, but it gets very good reviews.  It looks like it is very close to the train and only one stop to Cowboy (Asok) and two stops to Nana (says it is 1.1 miles to Terminal 21).  I can't see killing my "up to Category 4" annual night certificate on a Category 1 hotel, but at 5,000 points per night, it may be a good value using points.

I was looking in February for a CX flight from LAX in May on AA miles and there was no availability.  Nothing available though a phone agent and I scoured the BA and other affiliate websites.  I'm not sure if this is because of their devalued program or because of the Vietnam mistake fares.  Probably both since I couldn't even book a trip to HKG and then buy my own ticket to BKK.  Mid-last year I called up and booked a biz ticket in 10 minutes.  

This is the most useful article I've seen on burning AA miles but I think I'll try and save it for next year after all the Vietnam flights are over. 

https://upgradedpoints.com/redeem-american-airlines-aadvantage-miles-for-max-value/

Singapore is running a "Spontaneous Escapes" program, which cuts the mileage requirement for certain routes - https://onemileatatime.com/krisflyer-spontaneous-escapes/

Here is the list: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/plan-travel/promotions/global/kf/kf-promo/kfescapes/

While it won't get you all the way to BKK, among the specials are:

- LAX to Singapore for 47,600 KrisFlyer each way in Premium Economy (go to the Premium Economy pulldown menu) (think it is normally 68,000)

- London to Singapore for 26,600 KrisFlyer each way in Economy (under Singapore Airlines Destinations pulldown menu)

I flew SQ PE between LAX and ICN last year on business and it was comfortable enough.  It's FAR from business class, but still very comfortable.  

Travel dates are limited and unfortunately do not work for my schedule.

Another special - IHG offering up to a 100% bonus on purchased points - https://onemileatatime.com/buy-ihg-points/

That takes the purchase price down to .5 cents each, so those of you who were able to book the InterContinental in Pattaya on the Price Breaks list will effectively be getting the room for $75 per night (even LESS if you have their Chase card that nets you a fourth night free on award bookings!)

It KILLS me that I couldn't take advantage of that incredible deal!

On 18/03/2019 at 17:53, Luv2Phuket said:

Singapore is running a "Spontaneous Escapes" program, which cuts the mileage requirement for certain routes - https://onemileatatime.com/krisflyer-spontaneous-escapes/

Here is the list: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/plan-travel/promotions/global/kf/kf-promo/kfescapes/

While it won't get you all the way to BKK, among the specials are:

- LAX to Singapore for 47,600 KrisFlyer each way in Premium Economy (go to the Premium Economy pulldown menu) (think it is normally 68,000)

- London to Singapore for 26,600 KrisFlyer each way in Economy (under Singapore Airlines Destinations pulldown menu)

I flew SQ PE between LAX and ICN last year on business and it was comfortable enough.  It's FAR from business class, but still very comfortable.  

Travel dates are limited and unfortunately do not work for my schedule.

Earlier in the week I looked at SQ PE, JFK-BKK was on sale for around $1k. The the seat map for that route looked like the last 3 rows were 1-4-1. Might be too close to the lavatories but I liked the idea of having no one sitting directly next to me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skink said:

Earlier in the week I looked at SQ PE, JFK-BKK was on sale for around $1k. The the seat map for that route looked like the last 3 rows were 1-4-1. Might be too close to the lavatories but I liked the idea of having no one sitting directly next to me. 

Looks idea for the class:

Singapore-Airlines-SQ22-inaugural-premiu

4 hours ago, Little Evil said:

It does!

When I flew SQ PE (LAX-ICN and back), it was 2-4-2.  I got an aisle seat in the middle section.

On the way over, both seats on the exit row on one of the side aisles were empty, as was the rest of my row.  Despite the virtually unlimited leg room for the exit seats, I stayed on my row, moved in 1 seat and lifted the arm rest between the two middle seats, giving me a "double wide" seat.

On the way back, it was before SQ had started the non-stop SIN-LAX routes, so they routed SIN through either Tokyo or ICN to get to LAX, and the flight was PACKED.  No "double wide" seat or open exit row seats on that one. These single seat rows would've been nice!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Little Evil said:

It's funny. Reading thru the thread, I thought I was the least jaded person here. Sure, I'd like CX F or JAL F as much as the next guy. Same goes for great food. But honestly, give me a flat bed seat and I won't complain. Combine that with direct aisle access and I'm perfectly happy. Anything more than that is just gravy. But one of these seats for 18+ hours, no fucking way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bgtp said:

It's funny. Reading thru the thread, I thought I was the least jaded person here. Sure, I'd like CX F or JAL F as much as the next guy. Same goes for great food. But honestly, give me a flat bed seat and I won't complain. Combine that with direct aisle access and I'm perfectly happy. Anything more than that is just gravy. But one of these seats for 18+ hours, no fucking way.

Last Nov, I tried PE on CX on the outbound flight BOS to HKG. At first, I was thinking "I can do this. This is actually pretty good". Had plenty of knee space. Recline felt substantial. Got a glass of champagne and a hot towel after boarding. I thought it was going to be quite livable. However....

After meal service, my seat mate broke out this contraption from his bag. It was some type of battery operated lumbar massage device about the size of pillow. Had these horrible disco lights that would twirl around and make this terrible electric motor noise that I could hear through my headphones. He'd lean on it hard and the motors would cease up, making this even worse grinding sound. I tried my best to sleep it off, but between that and what proved to be far less recline than I had initial though, I just couldn't sleep well. Woke up with this guy practically head on my shoulders. Damn near slapped him to get him to wake up. 

So, I think I'm with you about not being able to go back. I need privacy. I need at least angle-flat beds. I can't play isle access games anymore.  If the flight was under 6 hours, then this would have been fine, but that was 15.5 hours. The funny thing is that right after the flight, I think I was ok with it, but months later, I can only recall the bad, so never again. 

• Like 2

I'm curious to wait and see how this shakes out, but here is a blog post about the new American Airlines/China Southern partnership:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/03/20/you-can-now-use-american-aadvantage-miles-on-china-southern/

If it is 70,000 miles each way, I can't say that I would be excited about China Southern biz class, but, having flown it before, it was serviceable, so I'm happy there may be more availability for AA miles to BKK. 

That said, the blog is a little confusing on the required miles.  If it costs 20k more to add the Guongzhou (CAN) to BKK leg, then it's not really feasible.

On 22/03/2019 at 13:22, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm curious to wait and see how this shakes out, but here is a blog post about the new American Airlines/China Southern partnership:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/03/20/you-can-now-use-american-aadvantage-miles-on-china-southern/

If it is 70,000 miles each way, I can't say that I would be excited about China Southern biz class, but, having flown it before, it was serviceable, so I'm happy there may be more availability for AA miles to BKK. 

That said, the blog is a little confusing on the required miles.  If it costs 20k more to add the Guongzhou (CAN) to BKK leg, then it's not really feasible.

According to AA's website only Japan and Korea are in Asia Region 1 and BKK is listed under Asia Region 2, so LAX, SFO or JFK to BKK should be 70k in J.

2 hours ago, skink said:

According to AA's website only Japan and Korea are in Asia Region 1 and BKK is listed under Asia Region 2, so LAX, SFO or JFK to BKK should be 70k in J.

Yes, and I also assume it includes the domestic leg if you don’t live near one of those gateways. Just got Aviator Red again today. No minimum spend, annual fee not waived, 60K sign-up bonus. So basically,  it’s like paying $95 for 60K miles. No point keeping it after the year, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bgtp said:

Yes, and I also assume it includes the domestic leg if you don’t live near one of those gateways. 

Yes. That's one good thing about AA awards. I try to use AA for J awards, mainly for those free connecting flights. Alaska F awards are a lot less miles than AA (at least after their last devaluation) but with their only 1 partner + AS rule I usually have to handle connections myself. I couldn't seem to ever find AS saver first connecting flights so gave up even trying.

4 hours ago, bgtp said:

Just got Aviator Red again today. No minimum spend, annual fee not waived, 60K sign-up bonus. So basically,  it’s like paying $95 for 60K miles. No point keeping it after the year, though.

Congrats. I've been pending for 7 business days now on the biz version of that card. Barclays hasn't been very generous with me lately. 

• Like 2

Quick Alaska update - 

I called Alaska today (exactly 330 days out) and was able to book Cathay first for my return trip from Bangkok next February. 

FWIW, BA Avios shows no business class availability and only showed the 1 first class seat (which I took).  Gotta act fast to get the damn CX award seats booked these days!  

There was a slight hiccup - the Alaska reservation agent booked the wrong flight into HKG from BKK for me, but I called back right away and got it fixed.  She put me on the flight that most people would probably prefer -- the 7:10 p.m. departure, which has a 1:20 layover in HKG.  I prefer the 5:40 p.m. departure from BKK, which leaves me a 2:50 layover in HKG.  It covers me for any reasonable delays leaving BKK, and it gives me a little "lounge time" in HKG!  555

One side note - I was booked in Cathay first last year for the same flights, but they changed the plane for HKG-LAX, and it no longer had first (only biz, PE and economy), so I was downgraded to biz (got my 20,000 miles refunded).  I assume that was just a temporary thing and that we are back to 4 class service on the midnight departure from HKG to LAX.

My Alaska account is back down to 50k miles, and - as expected - I am now wishing that I had purchased more miles on their last 40% bonus offer!  5555

• Like 2

Not sure if any of you are BA Avios guys, but I just noticed a new promotion for their 100th year anniversary that they'll double Avios earning on up to 6 flights this year, and if you actually fly 6 flights, another Avios bonus that matches the year (2019).  Only catch I see so far is that you have to register.  I'm not an Avios person, but do have an old account with some stranded miles. Might as well joint us just in case. Still, with the Avios current award chart and BA's heavy hand with fuel surcharges, I'm not sure if even double would be worth going this route over Alaska or even AA. 

Here's the fine print:

A Qualifying Flight is either a one-way (single sector) or a return flight (two sectors) between the point of departure and final destination with no scheduled change of aircraft that must be booked after the Member has registered. Members can receive 100% bonus Avios on up to six single sector Qualifying Flights.

A Qualifying flight is (i) a BA prefix on any selling class (excluding reward flights or upgrades using Avios) or cabin on any BA operated service, or (ii) any flight included as part of a British Airways Holiday package, and (iii) a BA prefix on a transatlantic flight operated by British Airways (BA), American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between Europe and North America. The promotion also applies to travel on domestic flights within the UK and southern Africa (operated by Comair), Sunnair and CityFlyer. Any other flights operated by any other BA franchises, codeshare partners or oneworld alliance members will not qualify.

The Eligible Participant can collect 100% bonus Avios on up to six sectors and will be awarded after each Qualifying Flight has been completed. Eligible Participants who register, book and complete six or more Qualifying Flights will receive an additional 2019 bonus Avios once the sixth sector has been completed.