IGNORED

Your dream car

QuotaMan

lol...if that is true, then australia sucks :)

its only 2035mm wide... 80.1inches... there are plenty of wider big trucks on the road, its completely illogical that they wouldnt allow a tiny limited production sports car (only 499 worldwide) which would probably only be driving a few hundred km's per year anyway.

the new enzo successor was released recently... its 78.4inches wide, maybe they will allow this one

2014_LaFerrari_-0-2048.jpg

Just found the dimensions restrictions and doesnt look like we can have this one either...

Our max width is 1940mm and this one comes in at 1991.4mm

Also unless it is made in RHD then we will defo not be getting it!  In Australia we have LHD like UK and Thailand and unless it is 25+ years old, you are not allowed to register and drive them.  I think the reasoning for such small widths would be due to things like parking here in cities.  I know I find it hard to fit my Statesman into some car spots in multi level carspots, not only in width but with a towbar as well it rarely fits in a carspot without protruding.

...Using the force, one bar at a time

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found the dimensions restrictions and doesnt look like we can have this one either...

Our max width is 1940mm and this one comes in at 1991.4mm

Also unless it is made in RHD then we will defo not be getting it!  In Australia we have LHD like UK and Thailand and unless it is 25+ years old, you are not allowed to register and drive them.  I think the reasoning for such small widths would be due to things like parking here in cities.  I know I find it hard to fit my Statesman into some car spots in multi level carspots, not only in width but with a towbar as well it rarely fits in a carspot without protruding.

thats why the restriction is so stupid when it comes to incredibly rare exotic cars like this.... no owner of a 1 in 500 $1mil+ car would ever park it in a multilevel carpark ... or any regular parking spot at all really... people with the money to afford this have reserved VIP parking spots at the front of every place they would drive this to. im sure if they have enough money they can find some way to import it and circumvent the law anyway..... with enough money, there is always a way! 

and im sure they make RHD versions, since many of their clients live in RHD countries.

and yes it is the real deal, not a concept

1060367-2048.jpg

Yerh the classic TVR's certainly attract a 'certain' type of follower. When I was growing up I always wanted the TVR 450 SEAC the convertible wedge one with the huge tray fin. Just Googled it and it looks so old now!

attachicon.gifTVR.jpg

The absolute animal they made was the Speed 12 which literally had 2 x V6's from the Cerbera  Speed 6.

attachicon.gifTVR_Cerbera_Speed_12.jpg

attachicon.gifTVR_Cerbera_Speed_12_track.jpg

Who is the film on Trevor Wilkinson? I am so happy they changed the name from TREVCar to TVR!

I remember when the old 944's were all the rage with the 924 being the poor man's one and the 928 with the pop up head lights being the boss. Never had a Porsche but used to dream of the 995. Little trip down memory lane. Cheers mate!

Wow, big up Para.  The SEAC, that was a propa beast.  I had a Griffith 500 for 6 months and it tried to kill me every left or right turn.  Got into Lotus tech in 2000 and had Mk 1 Lotus Elise, a total go cart on the road.  Now driving a Nissan 350z for everyday commute, love it.

Adored the TVR Cerbera for years, sat in one once and revved it to 8k, it revved like a Yamaha R1 Bike (i.e. Fast As Fuck).

Dream car, Bugatti Veyron for sure for me.

thats why the restriction is so stupid when it comes to incredibly rare exotic cars like this.... no owner of a 1 in 500 $1mil+ car would ever park it in a multilevel carpark ... or any regular parking spot at all really... people with the money to afford this have reserved VIP parking spots at the front of every place they would drive this to. im sure if they have enough money they can find some way to import it and circumvent the law anyway..... with enough money, there is always a way! 

and im sure they make RHD versions, since many of their clients live in RHD countries.

and yes it is the real deal, not a concept

1060367-2048.jpg

Now that looks horny lol...

Yeh it is a rediculous law, I have to agree however I scoured the forums this morning and one multi millionaire in Sydney owned one for 5 years before he ended up admitting defeat and off selling it back overseas.  He stated that after many years of lobbying with the best and most expensive lawyers, he was just sick to death of only doing track days in it... he said that unfortunately if he was in a country like India then you cant just buy officials.  here in Australia they are pretty strict about the law, particularly traffic laws... and with number plate recognition here since 2006, you cannot even pass a cop car going the other way without him knowing the history and details of the car and its registered owner.

Now that looks horny lol...

Yeh it is a rediculous law, I have to agree however I scoured the forums this morning and one multi millionaire in Sydney owned one for 5 years before he ended up admitting defeat and off selling it back overseas.  He stated that after many years of lobbying with the best and most expensive lawyers, he was just sick to death of only doing track days in it... he said that unfortunately if he was in a country like India then you cant just buy officials.  here in Australia they are pretty strict about the law, particularly traffic laws... and with number plate recognition here since 2006, you cannot even pass a cop car going the other way without him knowing the history and details of the car and its registered owner.

ah that sucks.... what a shame that pointless bureaucracy that provides no real benefit stops people from enjoying a fine automobile such as this.... just one more reason for the wealthy to leave australia.

the US has import laws that require the vehicle meet certain crash tests and such... so for very low production exotic cars sometimes it is also hard to import them because they manufacturer did not run the very expensive tests because they cannot afford to ruin a $1mil + car for no good reason.

but there is a small loophole.... you can register the car under a "show and display" registration, meaning that you only intend to take it to car shows and events, and gives you a limited annual mileage you can drive it on regular roads of 2500 miles per year.

since most owners of high-end exotic cars do not drive them that much anyway, 2500 miles per year is plenty!

ah that sucks.... what a shame that pointless bureaucracy that provides no real benefit stops people from enjoying a fine automobile such as this.... just one more reason for the wealthy to leave australia.

the US has import laws that require the vehicle meet certain crash tests and such... so for very low production exotic cars sometimes it is also hard to import them because they manufacturer did not run the very expensive tests because they cannot afford to ruin a $1mil + car for no good reason.

but there is a small loophole.... you can register the car under a "show and display" registration, meaning that you only intend to take it to car shows and events, and gives you a limited annual mileage you can drive it on regular roads of 2500 miles per year.

since most owners of high-end exotic cars do not drive them that much anyway, 2500 miles per year is plenty!

yeh we have similar loopholes here but they require you to adhere to road regs still such as a width restriction lol

if you are over width then you must have a pilot car in front and behind with signs and flashing lights warning traffic from both directions of the possible danger lol... otherwise it is tilt tray only.  cant even use a trade plate!  because still a LHD and under 25+

yeh we have similar loopholes here but they require you to adhere to road regs still such as a width restriction lol

if you are over width then you must have a pilot car in front and behind with signs and flashing lights warning traffic from both directions of the possible danger lol... otherwise it is tilt tray only.  cant even use a trade plate!  because still a LHD and under 25+

haha... just cannot win in australia!

cant have a gun

cant have a wide supercar

whats next.... cant have testicles?

haha... just cannot win in australia!

cant have a gun

cant have a wide supercar

whats next.... cant have testicles?

hahaah what do you mean cant have a gun?  of course we can.... you can even carry a concealed weapon with the right documentation....

can have a wide supercar, I have one, just not an Enzo... ( mine is 1860 wide )... and as for testicles... we dont have to put a flag on our backpack because we are scared people will think we are from somewhere else... hehehhe

hahaah what do you mean cant have a gun?  of course we can.... you can even carry a concealed weapon with the right documentation....

can have a wide supercar, I have one, just not an Enzo... ( mine is 1860 wide )... and as for testicles... we dont have to put a flag on our backpack because we are scared people will think we are from somewhere else... hehehhe

touchy are we :) it was just jokes exaggerating the tight control australia has over such things

a gun, yes with a 28 day waiting period, paperwork and proper approval you are allowed an old school single shot type rifle or shot gun... but owning something like a defensive handgun is incredibly restricted to the point where almost no normal person can/will go through the trouble to own it. australia has incredibly strict gun control and very limited selection of what you are allowed to have.

wide supercars.... well obviously with the laws you pointed out, cannot have the wide ones, only the ones that are thinner than the restriction... there are plenty that are not allowed.

i just randomly checked the first 5 supercars that come to my mind and all of them are over the limit, zonda, agera, veyron, FGT, murcielago etc...

although im fairly certain ive seen pictures of tim sharky cruising his yellow murcielago in gold coast ... i wonder how he got his registered, since it is 2058mm wide.... hmmm

i dont get the backpack/flag reference.... must be a joke im not aware of?

touchy are we :) it was just jokes exaggerating the tight control australia has over such things

a gun, yes with a 28 day waiting period, paperwork and proper approval you are allowed an old school single shot type rifle or shot gun... but owning something like a defensive handgun is incredibly restricted to the point where almost no normal person can/will go through the trouble to own it. australia has incredibly strict gun control and very limited selection of what you are allowed to have.

wide supercars.... well obviously with the laws you pointed out, cannot have the wide ones, only the ones that are thinner than the restriction... there are plenty that are not allowed.

i just randomly checked the first 5 supercars that come to my mind and all of them are over the limit, zonda, agera, veyron, FGT, murcielago etc...

although im fairly certain ive seen pictures of tim sharky cruising his yellow murcielago in gold coast ... i wonder how he got his registered, since it is 2058mm wide.... hmmm

hahhah was a pisstake about the flag mate, its an old backpackers joke... Canadians have a Canadian flag on it not because they are Canadian, but because they are NOT American lol...

Yes we do have tight gun controls, but its not as tight as some would think.  If you are security licensed and attend the proper tuition with documentation you can carry a concealed weapon, although I think a concealed weapon has to have a barrell of at least a certain length of which the standard issue Glock does not comply for the public but does for police....?  go figure.. you can get pump action shot guns and semi automatics licenses still, but only under special circumstances like vermin control... if you owned 500 acres and had a problem with Kangaroos and wild pigs then you may qualify as long as you  dont have mental illness history and a criminal record with adverse implications... but is achieveable.

Joe bloggs who wants a M14 to clear out rats on his hobby farm is not allowed lol

Yeh not sure about Sharkys Lambo, I have seen pics of it and there is indeed quite a few of them here.... will investigate

It has a different config here by the look of it... unless its a different model, but this is a 4x4 model and says its less than 1700?  check it out

cheap too at only $750k lol

redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2009-lamborghini-murcielago--452309?R=452309&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Yeh not sure about Sharkys Lambo, I have seen pics of it and there is indeed quite a few of them here.... will investigate

he lives in the same building as me... if i end up in the elevator with him ill be sure to ask :)

and i read the Australian gun laws and classification system for what you can and cannot have.... VERY tight in my opinion... but its all a matter of perspective... i was used to living in the US for awhile, so looking at Australias laws feels incredibly oppressive and controlling... but if youre from a country that does not allow them at all like China or UK, then Australia might seem moderate.

It has a different config here by the look of it... unless its a different model, but this is a 4x4 model and says its less than 1700?  check it out

cheap too at only $750k lol

redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2009-lamborghini-murcielago--452309?R=452309&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=0&eapi=2

you looked at the wheel track, not the width.... width says 2045mm on that site.... i do not believe they made any thinner versions for any country

the newer model years got even wider, 2057mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Murci%C3%A9lago

you looked at the wheel track, not the width.... width says 2045mm on that site.... i do not believe they made any thinner versions for any country

hmmm not sure then... maybe its a mass producing thing... dunno.  Ask Sharky and see what he says.. and yeh because some Tassie Looney called Martin Bryant shot 50 or so people a few years back, then they did implement some rules, prior to that it was ridiculously relaxed.  I bought my first rifle at 13 years old at a church auction for $30 lol...no adult in my presence...

hmmm not sure then... maybe its a mass producing thing... dunno.  Ask Sharky and see what he says.. and yeh because some Tassie Looney called Martin Bryant shot 50 or so people a few years back, then they did implement some rules, prior to that it was ridiculously relaxed.  I bought my first rifle at 13 years old at a church auction for $30 lol...no adult in my presence...

there has to be a loophole that the rich use to register them..... maybe register in NZ and then ship it over?

I have been confusing the wheel track and car widths doh! not known to be the sharpest tool in the shed!

there has to be a loophole that the rich use to register them..... maybe register in NZ and then ship it over?

Dunno, a mate just shipped a car to NZ and he said that the paperwork was just for quarantine mostly and over the pits they just checked the tyre specs.  but then again our Holdens ( GM ) are manufactured here and sold there so who knows lol

I do love this car too... Just looks like its growling...

2014-camaro-will-get-7-liter-ls7-53357-7

come to america, they are all over the place lol.... im not really much of a fan... if i had to choose a US car, id go for Cadillac CTS-V or the new Dodge Viper

yup.... i always laugh at women that say they arent attracted to money.... its funny how my friends that drive expensive exotic cars get a lot more attention from women than other considerably more good looking guys that drive regular shitty cars.... must just be a total coincidence right?

I dream of one day owning a lower end used Lamborghini Gallardo or Ferrari 360 Modena, not just to show it off, but for the constant ass I could pull in by driving one.

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

id imagine alot of the "WRX Sti" models are just faked regular models as well, like the R34s.... in the US you can get an 02-04 WRX Sti for the same price as a 94-95 model in thailand :( damn taxes!

STI yes, I would guess that they would be just badges and nothing more but the standard WRX which are selling for around 400,000 baht are the real deal from what I have seen. In reality you'd be better off with a standard STI and then spending on similar upgrades which per my previous post you would have to do to ensure everything is running right. To date I have not found a Subaru RX model that has been converted up to the WRX spec, all have been original WRX. They must have imported them during the 90's for sales through Subaru instead of grey imports given the number I have seen around.

You also have to remember that the US is the cheapest place to buy cars simply through the size of its market so comparing cost of vehicles in the US with other markets, and not taking into account other factors like income taxes and average household earnings, is not always like comparing apples to apples.

Take for instance the resale value of cars here, the damn things hold their value. I think its a case of the Thais not wanting to loose money on what they consider an investment so you could buy a car here and a couple years later sell it without loosing that much money. On the other hand start modifying the damn thing and you could end up spending twice what you paid for it and if you decide to sell it only get less than half back... but that is why you spent the money so all you can do is shack your head and remember the fun your having with the damn thing.

But as I said, even being a Mitsubishi man, if you want a fun car to drive around in Thailand with then the WRX is one of the cheapest options there is here.

There is one option that I have been thinking about as a second (fun) car to my EVO and that's a 90's model Subaru WRX as you can pick them up for under 500,000 Baht. Strip it down to bare metal, stiffen the body up, paint it and overhaul the running gear for another 500,000 baht and you would have a nice little run about for Thai roads. Do it right and you could probably get away with it for 700-800,000...

This might be a good start for your plans .

Original STI with low milage .

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/subaru-wrx-sti-2-0-2005-127068

This might be a good start for your plans .

Original STI with low milage .

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/subaru-wrx-sti-2-0-2005-127068

That's not a bad deal but at the moment I would have to sell my EVO to buy it and that's not on the cards. 

Beside, from my first post I am really starting to think more about the AWD twin turbo rotary as my next toy...

Yeh its the US version of our Monaro under the bonnet I think... although we actually export the Monaro to you but I think you call it a GTO...

monaro_hal_large.jpg

Archived