Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Your dream car

QuotaMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know anything about the Delorean "dream" cars manufactured in a subsidised factory in Northern Ireland. The stainless steel bodied gull-winged car featured in Back to the Future movie.

220px-DMC_publicity_photo.jpg

The DeLorean was in fact a Lotus product and it was a deal brokered by Colin Chapman to save Lotus from going broke so he could continue with his Formula 1 addiction.

It was a Lotus Esprit with a crap motor and a heavy as hell stainless steel body.

it was plagued with both manufacturing problems as well as reliability issues and in the end it was Lotus' biggest disappointment.

Lotus was to later be bailed out yet again, mainly due to the false economy created by the deal with the Americans for this vehicle.

Lotus was first bought out by GM and then later by its current owners Proton, who brought it back from the brink of extinction with the Elise and Exige and now the Evora.

The new Esprit is due out later this year, ( tick tock watch this space )

lotus-esprit-news-2014-lotus-esprit-debu

2014-Lotus-Esprit-wallpaper-image-3.jpeg

...Using the force, one bar at a time

What ever dream car I had I would sell it fix the money hopefully at 5% you will see me on a scooter down Soi 6.

What ever dream car I had I would sell it fix the money hopefully at 5% you will see me on a scooter down soi 6.

Yeh a dream ride you can ride as hard as you want and as often as you want with very little maintenance lol....

yeah when i looked around i saw quite a few GTS, and poor GTS-GTR conversions.... but in the 2-3mil range you can find nice legit (atleast i think they are) R34 GTR's..... its still a hell of a lot of money to pay for a 10+ year old non-luxury car... the tax on cars here is ridiculous.... pretty much every model of car i like or would purchase back in the US is 3x the cost here in Thailand.... now i finally understand why the majority of people here with cars drive low-end shitty economy cars and cheap pickups... but id rather take taxis the rest of my life than buy one of those.

this one is 2.5mil and looks to be in decent shape

03020B201301271436IMG_0184.JPG

That's a GTS, you can tell by the dash as it doesn't have the TV/Digital display that the GTR came out with. Engine is also a single turbo, not an uncommon modification to drop the twin turbo but a red light to me on what I was buying. The blue GTRs' tend to be the real thing as from what I can see you could only get blue in the GTR model.

Another thing you have to worry about is has the car been imported correctly, most have not and have been brought into Thailand under the table to you could end up with registration problems later on. Insurance is a bitch with these cars also, once they are over 7 years old I think it is the insurance companies will only give you third party so if you crash it you pay for it.

Everybody has their own dreams. Beiung a larger gentleman i need extra room. When I et into my mates TVR I feel like i’m in a capsule rather than comfort. 

The Bentley goes from 0 to 100kms per hour in 4.4 seconds and has a 6 litre motor with an 8 speed transmission but the truth is in a Bentley you don’t have to prove a thing.

Bentley.png

I can’t aford the bently so I need to be satisfied with my 5 litre Mustang convertable.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I'd like a Bugati Veyron.Not sure of the spelling though.

Robw

Hey Darkside Tours thanks for the Delorean info...John Delorean appears to have been an interseting dude. Think I will read his biography.

Everybody has their own dreams. Beiung a larger gentleman i need extra room. When I et into my mates TVR I feel like i’m in a capsule rather than comfort. 

The Bentley goes from 0 to 100kms per hour in 4.4 seconds and has a 6 litre motor with an 8 speed transmission but the truth is in a Bentley you don’t have to prove a thing.

attachicon.gifBentley.png

I can’t aford the bently so I need to be satisfied with my 5 litre Mustang convertable.

Altho not quite in the same league...I did used to own (second hand) a Merc SL 500. Not ultra fast...but real comfort and style.

135506026.jpg?height=370&aspect=FitWithi

That's a GTS, you can tell by the dash as it doesn't have the TV/Digital display that the GTR came out with. Engine is also a single turbo, not an uncommon modification to drop the twin turbo but a red light to me on what I was buying. The blue GTRs' tend to be the real thing as from what I can see you could only get blue in the GTR model.

Another thing you have to worry about is has the car been imported correctly, most have not and have been brought into Thailand under the table to you could end up with registration problems later on. Insurance is a bitch with these cars also, once they are over 7 years old I think it is the insurance companies will only give you third party so if you crash it you pay for it.

damn... theyre sneaky bastards... i did notice the Nav missing, but i thought that was an option, not a standard feature on the GTR. other than that, the dash is the same.

engine being single doesnt meant a thing, since many of the real gtr are converted to single also, especially in japan and us.

i would never buy one in thailand anyway, since they are so massively overpriced, and the insurance thing seems like a crapshoot... im not sure if ill ever buy any type of car here at all.

Hey Darkside Tours thanks for the Delorean info...John Delorean appears to have been an interseting dude. Think I will read his biography.

No worries mate, I have a full library and the largest collection of Esprit memorabilia in Aus lol.... Not got much on the DL though, was just going from memory... is all in storage at the moment until I buy another house...

Altho not quite in the same league...I did used to own (second hand) a Merc SL 500. Not ultra fast...but real comfort and style.

a fantastic and timeless car.... and if you step up to the SL600, or the SL55 AMG they are quite fast..... or even better the SL65 AMG version (604hp 738tq), those are blisteringly fast for a luxury cruiser, enough to smoke most sports cars.

The bodystyle you had (2001-08), while 3 generations old, still looks fantastic on the street even next to brand new cars.... the next gen (09-12) the only significant change they made was to modernize the headlights and front fascia .... everything else stayed exactly the same.

the new 2013 redesign was really a disappointment for me... the headlights look silly, and they changed the angle of the taillights and it somehow doesnt match the proportions of the car.... however they made huge improvements to the interior and at least that part looks fantastic.

IMO, the 09-12 models are the best looking on the exterior... and the AMG versions still command a premium price.

a fantastic and timeless car.... and if you step up to the SL600, or the SL55 AMG they are quite fast..... or even better the SL65 AMG version (604hp 738tq), those are blisteringly fast for a luxury cruiser, enough to smoke most sports cars.

The bodystyle you had (2001-08), while 3 generations old, still looks fantastic on the street even next to brand new cars.... the next gen (09-12) the only significant change they made was to modernize the headlights and front fascia .... everything else stayed exactly the same.

the new 2013 redesign was really a disappointment for me... the headlights look silly, and they changed the angle of the taillights and it somehow doesnt match the proportions of the car.... however they made huge improvements to the interior and at least that part looks fantastic.

IMO, the 09-12 models are the best looking on the exterior... and the AMG versions still command a premium price.

Buddy in the UK, second hand cars are dirt cheap...I bought a 6 year old, one owner SL, 60k, FMBSH for 16K GBP....WTF? In Thailand (or Aus for that matter) the price would be way more because tax...what are quality second hand car prices like in Canada or USA?

Ferrari Enzo

Ferrari_Enzo_Concours.jpg

mmm now there is some automotive sex!  too wide for the australian roads though and they cannot be registered here.  If you want one here you can only use it as a track car

mmm now there is some automotive sex!  too wide for the australian roads though and they cannot be registered here.  If you want one here you can only use it as a track car

lol...if that is true, then australia sucks :)

its only 2035mm wide... 80.1inches... there are plenty of wider big trucks on the road, its completely illogical that they wouldnt allow a tiny limited production sports car (only 499 worldwide) which would probably only be driving a few hundred km's per year anyway.

the new enzo successor was released recently... its 78.4inches wide, maybe they will allow this one

2014_LaFerrari_-0-2048.jpg

If you absolutely need to make a statement, this says it very nicely indeed :-)

Rolls-Royce646.jpg

damn... theyre sneaky bastards... i did notice the Nav missing, but i thought that was an option, not a standard feature on the GTR. other than that, the dash is the same.

engine being single doesnt meant a thing, since many of the real gtr are converted to single also, especially in japan and us.

i would never buy one in thailand anyway, since they are so massively overpriced, and the insurance thing seems like a crapshoot... im not sure if ill ever buy any type of car here at all.

There is one option that I have been thinking about as a second (fun) car to my EVO and that's a 90's model Subaru WRX as you can pick them up for under 500,000 Baht. Strip it down to bare metal, stiffen the body up, paint it and overhaul the running gear for another 500,000 baht and you would have a nice little run about for Thai roads. Do it right and you could probably get away with it for 700-800,000...

There is one option that I have been thinking about as a second (fun) car to my EVO and that's a 90's model Subaru WRX as you can pick them up for under 500,000 Baht. Strip it down to bare metal, stiffen the body up, paint it and overhaul the running gear for another 500,000 baht and you would have a nice little run about for Thai roads. Do it right and you could probably get away with it for 700-800,000...

id imagine alot of the "WRX Sti" models are just faked regular models as well, like the R34s.... in the US you can get an 02-04 WRX Sti for the same price as a 94-95 model in thailand :( damn taxes!

Bugatti Veyron...

Why settle for less

Thats why i drive a nissan almera..lol

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Damn I could get laid more often back in the states with cars like above.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

If you absolutely need to make a statement, this says it very nicely indeed :-)

Rolls-Royce646.jpg

Thats a RR Ghost.... it is actually the "cheap" Rolls at $260-$300k..... the RR Phantom is the big brother at $400-500k depending on options :)

I've been lucky to spend some time cruising around in my friends RR Phantom.... it definitely pulls A LOT of pussy, and attention everywhere it goes.

Damn I could get laid more often back in the states with cars like above.

yup.... i always laugh at women that say they arent attracted to money.... its funny how my friends that drive expensive exotic cars get a lot more attention from women than other considerably more good looking guys that drive regular shitty cars.... must just be a total coincidence right?

lol...if that is true, then australia sucks :)

its only 2035mm wide... 80.1inches... there are plenty of wider big trucks on the road, its completely illogical that they wouldnt allow a tiny limited production sports car (only 499 worldwide) which would probably only be driving a few hundred km's per year anyway.

the new enzo successor was released recently... its 78.4inches wide, maybe they will allow this one

2014_LaFerrari_-0-2048.jpg

yeh not sure of the reasoning for that, you can register a caravan or trailer up to 2500mm wide so WTF?  The new Enzo replacement however is just the bizzo innit?  Is that a concept or in real production?

Archived