IGNORED

English Monk in Thailand....

It is neither a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance

to a supernatural being."

Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its adherents. Therefore it is way of life elected by choice as opposed to to a religion.

Quite correct!

I HAVE SPENT MOST OF MY MONEY ON PATTAYA WOMEN, BEER AND FLYING BACK AND FORWARDS TO LOS

THE REST I'VE SQUANDERED!!!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been living in Thailand for over 10 years and have been fascinate by Buddhism for a while. I guess it all started when my wife started explaining stuff to me and it kinda answered questions I had. I used to love giving Alms in the morning on the way home from a late night on the town.

About 18 month ago my personal circumstances changed and I had to opportunity to ordain. Anyone knowing me would and has screamed with laughter but I was serious so at the end of 2011 I ordained at a very famous temple in Rayong.

I spent over 1 year there and have to admit it was an amazing experience.

If anyone has any questions on Buddhism or being a Monk I am happy to help as best I can.

With metta

Hi Para, think this is great, I have studied Buddhism for 7 years and its the best thing I ever did it changed my whole outlook on life I am never going to be perfect but it has made me a better man,

For most living life to the precepts especially in Patts is very difficult, but I did it and glad I did,

Well done mate I have done similar we can meet up some day and have a good chin wag,

Posted Image

Hi Para

Thread very quite.

How are you doing, hope all is good.

Very good infor on the amulets.  Please keep it coming if you got the time and energy.

Hi Dancholic nice to see you back hope the trip was good.

The thread is going the way I kinda expected it to. Initial interest from all that slowly declines to a handful that wanted to further understand Buddhism.

I'm fine thanks. Trying to find a job in Pattaya right now to cover the bills which is proving slightly harder than expected.

Will get some more Amulet stuff up in the next day or so.

Take care

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Hi Para, think this is great, I have studied Buddhism for 7 years and its the best thing I ever did it changed my whole outlook on life I am never going to be perfect but it has made me a better man,

For most living life to the precepts especially in Patts is very difficult, but I did it and glad I did,

Well done mate I have done similar we can meet up some day and have a good chin wag,

Glad you are enjoying both this thread and the new life you are finding for yourself. As you know it takes a bit of getting used to but once you understand the basics it falls into place nicely.

Most Thai's ignore the last of the 5 precepts (no intoxication) so I guess we can but well done on sticking to it and feeling the benefits.

Sure we can meet up drop me a PM and lets arrange it.

With metta

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Do you have any info on these?

Front side.

gehu6y8u.jpg

Back side

zyqary3u.jpg

We have them in our home Bhudda area.

Do you have any info on these?

Front side.

gehu6y8u.jpg

Back side

zyqary3u.jpg

We have them in our home Bhudda area.

The 2 outside ones are in the style of Somdej Toh from Wat Kechaiyo with the body split into 2 and the elongated ears with the left one being lower than the right they are sitting on to many mats to be his. The fact one has the stamp of Rama V on the back also means its not his. I will need to get the middle one translated as I dont read Thai!

If I wanted to buy a quantity of a variety of new amulets where would I source those? I have seen them sold cheap, 5 - 10 baht each at various festivals.

My ex and her mom were always buying a few here and there and putting them on the house shrine and other places.

If I wanted to buy a quantity of a variety of new amulets where would I source those? I have seen them sold cheap, 5 - 10 baht each at various festivals.

My ex and her mom were always buying a few here and there and putting them on the house shrine and other places.

Bet the Wat at the end of Nernplubwaan would have a bunch. Bua says Soi Buakhow market.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Would you accept a blessing from a baht bus driver?

Why on earth would you even consider renting fake Amulets they are worthless?

Bet the Wat at the end of Nernplubwaan would have a bunch. Bua says Soi Buakhow market.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

My teacher has a shop in the night market Soi Baukhao I can happily guarantee what he rents is real.

You can try the night market on Thepprasit but good luck finding real from fake.

Para

Thought this might interest you.

I just made this from Tasmainia Oak with love and kindness (already posted on 332 thread).

2.jpg

1.jpg

Para

Thought this might interest you.

I just made this from Tasmainia Oak with love and kindness (already posted on 332 thread).

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Nice shrine Dancholic I like the way you have left space in front of the statue to give offerings.

Couple of questions....

Why is your Buddha still covered in the protective plastic?

Can I ask who the picture is of? I have a specific reason that has nothing to do with mongering......

Ok the shrine is not finished.  But I have been under some personal pressure to get it done.  Personal pressure as I feel my life is not and will not move forward until her memory is safe. 

I still gotta to put a few more layers of 'tung oil' on it.  tung oil goes on thin but sets hard and if you look at the middle lower layer you can see that its not quite smooth yet.  So hence the protective plastic has not been removed as Buddha will be moved out for a short time while I do the final job on it.

I also got to realign one of the doors as I broke a hinge during the construction and when I replaced it, it did not align quite as it had before.  The last thing I gotta to do is put a latch and handle on the doors.  None of the comercially available ones really suit what I have in mind.  So I am going to have to search for one.

Lady is my girl friend who has moved onto the next existance.  She past away nine months ago.

Hence I have built the shrine as a place where her memory will be safe.  By that I mean I can move onto enjoy life without fear or guilt that I will ever forget.  The bottom area has a false bottom and I have stored some memories there.  Such as her english excercise book and photos.

Ok the shrine is not finished.  But I have been under some personal pressure to get it done.  Personal pressure as I feel my life is not and will not move forward until her memory is safe. 

I still gotta to put a few more layers of 'tung oil' on it.  tung oil goes on thin but sets hard and if you look at the middle lower layer you can see that its not quite smooth yet.  So hence the protective plastic has not been removed as Buddha will be moved out for a short time while I do the final job on it.

I also got to realign one of the doors as I broke a hinge during the construction and when I replaced it, it did not align quite as it had before.  The last thing I gotta to do is put a latch and handle on the doors.  None of the comercially available ones really suit what I have in mind.  So I am going to have to search for one.

Lady is my girl friend who has moved onto the next existance.  She past away nine months ago.

Hence I have built the shrine as a place where her memory will be safe.  By that I mean I can move onto enjoy life without fear or guilt that I will ever forget.  The bottom area has a false bottom and I have stored some memories there.  Such as her english excercise book and photos.

I'm really sorry for your lose but I love what you have done for her and building it yourself makes it as personal as you can get.

The secret area is a great idea to keep the most sacred possessions you have.

Just one thing. I tend to listen to what cant be said and for me the fact the hinge broke then didn't align properly would to me say leave the doors off. IMO why cover and hide something so important.

That aside its a beautiful piece......

*EDIT* Just shown the wife and she also thinks its beautiful and a wonderful thing to do.

Just seen this on Richard Barrow's site and had to laugh.....

20130309-101006.jpg

I saw this infographic on Facebook today and thought I would share. It shows the 10 most necessities of the Buddhist monk. Not sure I would agree with all of them. But it might explain why I often see monks at Pantip Plaza.

๑) Monk’s robe ผ้าไตรจีวร
๒) Dhamma books หนังสือธรรมะหรือหนังสือความรู้
๓) Computer ชุดคอมพิวเตอร์
๔) Razor ใบมีดโกน
๕) Floor cleaner น้ำยาเช็ดพื้น
๖) Medicine ยาหลักๆที่จำเป็น
๗) Stationery เครื่องเขียน
๘) Shampoo แชมพู
๙) Shoes รองเท้า
๑๐) Towels ผ้าขนหนูสีสุภาพ

Source: fb/theattitudeclubphuket

Yep do tend to agree with the concept of just following the signs.  Perhaps the hinge breaking was something else.  I was having a bad day working on it and the hinge breaking might have been a kick in the backside to stop work and reassess.  Which I did and the next day everything went really well.

Wood work is not really my specialty. :)  Eitherway I had the idea for at least six months and was looking for inspiration or a plan.  I used to take photos of buildings and the like around Thailand hoping for inspiration.  Had all sorts of complex designs with twilly pointy bits etc.  Then I just started to build without a plan.  That was the result.  Tried a complex facade on the roof but that failed.  So ended up going for a very simple humble design,  Very much in keeping with the girl herself.  Even the storage area in the initial concept was going to be a complex draw but that too just ended up being a simple and workable idea.

It certainly has been an emotionally draining project. 

Mate you should take pride not just in what you have built but more so the reasons for building it. I bet it was draining but looking back now you get the rewards.

It was funny how you described your concept and 'wants' from it and it didn't work but but what you have I am sure is so much more in keeping with what your girl would of wanted. Start to listen to what can not be said. Have faith and trust and let that guide you in all aspects of your life.

Maybe I will do a post on shrines with the Do's and Dont's what do you think?

Shrines do s and donts

Would be a good one.  Many aspects to that too.  Ie a private shrine in a house or one of those ones you see in a bar.

Shrines do s and donts

Would be a good one.  Many aspects to that too.  Ie a private shrine in a house or one of those ones you see in a bar.

Excellent I can post something of substance rather than trying to guess what to post next.

Give me a few days and it will be done.

Energy Vampires and Buddhism

Any comments ?

For me an energy vampire is simply someone that sucks the life out of you through constant and never ending selfish acts. I know I used to have a lot of 'friends' like that but felt so drained I came close to giving away all of me that I simply cut them from my life. Not sure if that isi what you are alluding to mate?

Its on the (ever growing) list to make mention of some of the more occult stuff that is often attached incorrectly to Buddhism. Its real and its seriously freaky.

Already started getting the info and pictures together on shrines!

• 2 weeks later...

Well overdue for an update I apologize!

This is about a very rare Amulet made by the absolute master Somdej Toh. As I have said before his go for 5M up to 50M but a new batch was found and are available at a significantly lower price. Seeing as everyone wants a Somdej Toh if you have the chance to rent one I strongly suggest you do. Obviously I have a special connection to this Amulet!

LP TOH SOMDEJ PRATAT PATNOM (151 YEARS OLD)
NAKHON PATNOM EDITION

Somdej Toh was one of the most famous Buddhist monks in modern Thai history. His amulets fetch prices anywhere from a few million Baht to 30 Million Baht. You may believe that his amulets are well beyond the pocket of the average collector; this is a popular misconception even amongst experienced collectors. He created and blessed Phra Somdej amulets other than the much publicized and promoted Somdej amulets originally blessed c. BE 2400 One perfect example is the amulet below known as Phra Somdej Wat Rakhang, Phra That Phanom (Song Chedi), which he created and blessed in c. 2508. Most of the amulets were then stored in the chedi at Nakom Panom, close to the Laos border It wasn't until BE 2518 that these amulets were finally recovered after a violent storm and subsequent flooding damaged the chedi walls. First impression of this amulet is to dismiss it too easily, unless you understand the history behind it. The most interesting aspect of this amulet is of course the colorful beads, and one of the reasons actually that even experienced collectors have often failed to recognize the importance of this pim. The secret of Phra That Phanom Somdej amulets Phrathat Phanom is an important chedi not only in Thailand but also Asia because the relics of Lord Buddha are situated inside. The wishes of many worshippers have been fulfilled after giving homage at the chedi. As such any amulets contained within the Kru would be very scared indeed, and in particular amulets created by one of the most sacred monks in the world’s history, Phra Buddhacharn Toh.

This account details such a discovery of thousands of amulets originally created in BE 2408. Phra Buddacharn Toh is now known not only to have deposited a hoard of amulets in the Chedi but also to have renovated the scared chedi in BE 2408, in order to preserve the ancient structure for future generations. The most interesting aspect of this is that very few people were aware of the deposit of amulets, certainly even fewer were witness to the amulets because they were buried very deeply in what was then one the most important chedi in the Kingdom. Severe flooding caused the chedi walls to collapse, and on August 11, B.E. 2518, at 07.38 p.m. the chedi was opened in order to expose the cell that retained the hoard of amulets. These amulets were highly respected by worshippers because of the realization of the sacred power that would be able to help them in many ways. A great crowd gathered to worship the hoard in its entirety. Once all this information is known, your whole perspective changes in an instance. Simply holding this unique amulet is an experience in itself, you become inspired by the knowledge that you are holding a genuine amulet created by one of the greatest Thai monks ever, a treasure that has no price with a beauty that is without doubt, breathtaking.

Somdej Toh Pratnom Patnom2_resize_resize.jpg

The Royal Thai Fine Arts Department came to inspect and repair the chedi and also to inform Phra Thep Ruttanamoli (later Phra Dharma Rachanuwat), the then abbot of the temple, also head Monk of Nakom Panom Province, about the sacred amulets, and that they could be sold.
However no price could be agreed as he knew the value of the amulets. Therefore Prathep Ruttanamoli decided to donate the sacred amulets to everyone who wished to own such a sacred object, but in particular to those who supported the renovation project of the sacred chedi, In addition to the amulets there were also many other sacred objects which were retained for prosperity both inside the chedi itself and the temples museum. Today these amulets are very hard to find, some are priced more than 1,000,000 each, particularly those which have not be cleaned in any way.

History –

Sacred Materials after Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh announced his intention to create the amulets many senior foreign monks from Cambodia, Laos, Burma, etc, immediately came to the kingdom to pay respects to Phra Buddacharn Toh, and also to donate sacred materials.

1 Gold, which was received from Khmer and Burmese senior monks, ground into powder. Many of the pims you can actually see gold fragments embedded in the powder.
2 Ancient Tavaravati-period pills, received from senior monks originating from Laos, some were ground into a powder others added to the mixture, whole, giving the amulets their very distinctive appearance.
3 Jewelry, which was received from Khmer and Burmese senior monks, also ground into powder.
4 Sacred relics of Lord Buddha, received from some disciples of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh and Lao monks.
5 Wrecked parts of the old Phrathat Phanom, renovated in B.E.2408, also ground into powder.
6 Other kinds of sacred powder such as Ittijae, Maharach, and Buddhakun, kept by Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh for many years were also added into the mixture.

Fragments of Phra Benjapakee etc Because King Rama IV wanted the renovation project to be completed within that year (B.E.2408) many monks from both Wat Rakhang and Wat Phrathat Phanom were involved in making these sacred amulets

Interestingly this resulted in the amulets created that were different in design and composition depending on where they were made. Anyway the amulets, created at Wat Rakhang, were easily identified because Jaoprakun Dharmatanacharn (Jaokun Nap), a high-ranking monk of Bangkok,
also attached a gold plate onto the reverse of each amulet.

Great Sacred Ceremony After the creation of all the amulets one of the greatest sacred ceremonies in the Thai history was organized:

1. To celebrate the newly renovated sacred Phrathat Panom Chedi.
2. To invite all the sacred amulets into the chedi itself. It was recorded that the sacred ceremony was held on the full-moon day of the 12th month of the year B.E.2408, according to the Thai lunar calendar.

Apart from many senior monks from both Thailand and other neighboring countries, one of the most participants of the ceremony was King Rama IV, who had graciously presided over the ceremony amongst many witnesses, including royal-family members and high-ranking officials etc. It was also recorded that Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh had affirmed that all the amulets were very sacred because apart from the many sacred materials, particularly the relics of Lord Buddha and the wrecked powder of the old Phrathat Panom Chedi, he had also prayed and recited sacred spells to transfer the power of Lord Buddha ensuring efficacy. These amulets are still quite affordable, but the prices are increasing rapidly due to the fact that other pims created by Buddacharn Toh (those which have been heavily marketed and promoted over the last few decades) have all but disappeared from the market, or are only available to the extremely wealthy. This amulet is the sensible choice for the discerning collector, and will bring luck and prosperity in life and business.

Somdej Toh Pratnom Patnom1_resize_resize.jpg

OK so you guys want a quick lesson on shrines cool it's an interesting subject.

Firstly I need some more background information on Buddhist deity’s as they are common to pretty much every shrine you will see.

The first is Nang Kwak (pronounced Nang Gwak). She is the lady with the hand beckoning people in. EVERY bar and business will have her in their shrine as she is believed to help get customers.

Nang Kwak

NangKwak.jpg

Mae Nang Kwak (Thai: แม่นางกวัก) or Nang Kwak is a spirit or household divinity of Thai and Laotian folklore. She brings prosperity.

Mae Nang Kwak is represented as a beautiful woman wearing a red dress (less frequently in some other colors) in the Thai and sometimes Laotian traditional style. She also wears a golden crown on her head and is in the sitting or kneeling position. Her right hand is raised in the Thai way of beckoning a customer, with the palm of the hand pointing downwards. Her left hand is resting on her side or holds a bag full of gold on her lap.

The figure of Mae Nang Kwak evolved from Mae Po Sop (แม่โพสพ), the Siamese rice goddess,[1] in recent times. The only difference is that she is not wearing the harvested rice sheaf on her right shoulder. The iconography of these goddesses is based in the Hindu goddess Sri Lakshmi, but their true origins are local and more ancient. The position of her hand is quite likely borrowed from the Japanese Maneki Neko beckoning

Symbolism

Mae Nang Kwak is a benevolent spirit. She is deemed to bring luck, especially in the form of money, to the household. Thai people like to have a figurine or poster of this goddess in their home or shop, where it is often placed by the shrine. Some people also wear amulets with her figure around the neck.

Gumantong

The second is Gumantong or sometimes referered to as KMT.

This is is a lot stranger and darker than Nang Kwak as you will see. Gumantong is the baby spirit brought about many years ago by a very handsome man called Khun Pean (yes the same L.P. Tim Khun Pean Aumlets everyone desires so much)

guman-tong.jpg

GumanThong Fortune Maker.jpg

**********************This is graphic you have been warned**********************

The origins of the first story relating to Guman Thong were from a 19th century work of literature

"Khun Chang Khun Paen" . Khun Paen was a soldier, 400 years previous, a time when supernatural forces played an important part of traditional warfare. Khun Paen had wanted a protective spirit to watch over him in battle. To this end he cut the unborn foetus of his son from his dead wife's womb and took it to a temple to perform an occult rite in which he created the first recorded Guman Thong.

What was the method used to create the first Guman Thong?

He wrapped the child's torso in sacred cloth and roasted it on a fire whilst chanting ritual mantras and dark incantations to create the supernatural being with whom he could communicate.

The equipment required by Khun Phan included three candles, a tinder box, a protective thread, and some metal yantras (metal talismans inscribed with mystic symbols). He lit the candles and laid consecrated wood as a bed for the foetus. Then he put a powerful Visnu yantra on its head, a royal yantra beneath it, a Visnu yantra on its middle, and a Dharani yantra on the ground. He then set gilded posts at the four cardinal points, together with yantras and flags, and he tied the protective thread around [to ward off interferences!. He overlaid the posts with a canopy having a yantra of Indra's golden chains, as prescribed for such occasions. He took charmed Mergui wood and lit a fire beneath the foetus in order to kindle pure life in it. As he sat reciting mantras as he exposed the foetus to the fire and warmed it throughout, turning it now on its front, now on its back, until, just as dawn broke, it was thoroughly dried. Then, as Khun Phan still recited the mantras, up rose Golden Boy and spoke, ready to do his master's bidding.

He named the entity Guman Thong.

What is the origin of the now firm belief in Guman Thong?

This episode of Sunthon Phu's classic is the origin of a now widespread belief in Guman Thong, the protective child spirit. Although we can assume that this type of supernatural being is only literary invention, many people believe in infant ghosts and the ability to warn those who nurture them of danger threatening the household.

What is Guman Thong and how many different types are there?

Guman Thong is a little boy with a topknot, wearing Jongraben (a traditional cloth rolled between legs and brought up to the back), nothing on top, wearing a sash of gold and diamonds. The Guman Thong is in fact a spirit of a child that has been captured in the idol by a medium or monk that understands and has knowledge of arcane spells and incantations. It is thought that these spells are preserved by the spirits in the Himpan forest (known to us from Thai literature) There are two types of child spirit – the spirit having fate and karma from a past life and the spirit without fate and karma. If a spirit previously had bad karma then it is their karma in this life to be exploited by practitioners of magic or controlled by withayathorn. (a guru of black magic) They are susceptible to become Guman Thong.

The other type of spirit is that has no previous karma and cannot become a Guman Thong. They will be re-born according to karma.

Why own a Guman Thong?

The prime reason that one may wish to own a Guman Thong is for business purposes, protection of assets, watching your home as a guard, requesting fortune and particularly lucky numbers for the lottery. When you go out, Guman Thong will look after your house and your assets. He will make a noise by running around to mislead people that the house is occupied. Sometimes, it is known that some Guman Thong can transfigure as a big black dog, depending on the power of the monk that created the Guman. The power of your Guman Thong in such circumstances also depends on your karma.

For commercial purposes it is well known that Guman Thong will attract customers with invisible forces such as pulling their bodies, seizing their hands, grabbing them. Customers will be walking by your business and Guman thong has the ability to inspire them to enter by whispering in an inaudible voice in their ears.

How should I bring my Guman Thong into the house?

When we first bring our Guman Thong into the house we should place him in a suitable location and spend some time introducing him to his new environment in a loving voice. We should feed our Guman Thong just the same way we would do any child. We should also worship our Guman Thong by lighting incense sticks and placing flowers nearby. It is said that Guman Thong favour roses in particular. If we already own a Guman Thong then we should tell your existing Guman Thong that it is your intention to bring some of his brothers to live with him.

Where should I place my Guman Thong?

You should place your Guman Thong on a shelf, but not too high. Do not place him under the stairs, at the end of your bed, or an an alter with other Buddha images. The Guman should always be on a shelf lower than other Buddha images.

Will my Guman Thong misbehave?

Guman Thong are children and as such there is always a tendency to misbehave and interfere with other children in the house. You need to be firm and tell your Guman what is acceptable and what is not. Always recite your Katha before this exercise.

Hope you enjoyed the additions and next time finally shrines I promise!

With metta

Para

Archived