IGNORED

English Monk in Thailand....

LMFAO you wanna lesson on Buddhism while mongering!

I'm game for a beer will see what happens regarding the topic of conversation.

Cheers for the invite.

I am not really looking for lessons but more for general knowledge and understanding. I like to have some understanding on a broad range of topics and like to discuss things. And for someone living in a Buddhist country, i feel i know very little about it. Makes it more difficult to understand the people around me.

BTW i was not suggesting that we should discuss Buddhism while on a barcrawl or mongering (that thought not even crossed my mind, guess your mind is even dirtier then mine at times ;)), although that might also be a possibility of course. Was more thinking of meeting up in a more quiet environment, with or without drinks, where a group of people can have a normal occasion. 

But name any time and place and i will try to be there, for a drink or a good conversation.

Something different. Last year i was taken on a (night) trip to Khao Khitchakut national park. As usual upon leaving for that place nobody would/could answer my questions as to what we where heading for. It turned out to be a midnight climb up a mountain going "in the footsteps of Buddha". The little information i found later indicates that this is some kind of pilgrimage that can only be done during a short period of time each year. (It is open again right now until i think the 11th of april). Can you tell me a bit more about this?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not really looking for lessons but more for general knowledge and understanding. I like to have some understanding on a broad range of topics and like to discuss things. And for someone living in a Buddhist country, i feel i know very little about it. Makes it more difficult to understand the people around me.

BTW i was not suggesting that we should discuss Buddhism while on a barcrawl or mongering (that thought not even crossed my mind, guess your mind is even dirtier then mine at times ;)), although that might also be a possibility of course. Was more thinking of meeting up in a more quiet environment, with or without drinks, where a group of people can have a normal occasion. 

But name any time and place and i will try to be there, for a drink or a good conversation.

Something different. Last year i was taken on a (night) trip to Khao Khitchakut national park. As usual upon leaving for that place nobody would/could answer my questions as to what we where heading for. It turned out to be a midnight climb up a mountain going "in the footsteps of Buddha". The little information i found later indicates that this is some kind of pilgrimage that can only be done during a short period of time each year. (It is open again right now until i think the 11th of april). Can you tell me a bit more about this?

I was pulling your leg maybe I should of thrown a few smiley faces in there!

OK how about we talk about filth when in Agogo then Buddhism when walking between them? If there are a few that want to meet and have a (relatively) quite and normal discussion then I am game if not then sorry its off to Soi Diamond to make up for all the celibacy time I have endured.

I'll drop you a PM so we can discuss it off line.

I just had to Google the place you said and when I saw it was in Chanthaburi I was invited to go and stay there but sadly it never happened. I know a LOT of Monks stay there in the caves. How did you enjoy it?

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

I was pulling your leg maybe I should of thrown a few smiley faces in there!

OK how about we talk about filth when in Agogo then Buddhism when walking between them? If there are a few that want to meet and have a (relatively) quite and normal discussion then I am game if not then sorry its off to Soi Diamond to make up for all the celibacy time I have endured.

I'll drop you a PM so we can discuss it off line.

I just had to Google the place you said and when I saw it was in Chanthaburi I was invited to go and stay there but sadly it never happened. I know a LOT of Monks stay there in the caves. How did you enjoy it?

Okay, 2nd attempt to write a reply. The first time the window was closed when the baby of a visiting friend hit the keyboard. (Or is that a sign i shouldn't write this?).

The smilie in my response also didn't make it. But looking forward to a PM to setup a meeting but the more the merrier i think.

There is a single thread about Khao Khitchakut here on the forums: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/97184-buddhas-footprint-khao-khitchakut/?hl=khitchakut

My story is in a lot of ways similar to his. I did write a report about it, but that was on a dutch language forum. Maybe some of the pictures are viewable to guests and a google translate might give you an idea about my experience. (Een uitstapje naar Khao Khitchakut National Park (Chantaburi))

In short: GF and some friends where sitting eating & talking one afternoon when they decided to go somewhere. As usual i didn't get any clear answers on where or what we where going to or how long it would take. So i left wearing shorts and sandals. Lucky me about the sandals as some of the ladies where wearing "nice" toeslippers. Arriving after a 4 hour drive (the lady was a slow driver and had not much of a clue of the directions) we arrived in the dark in a village that consisted of 50% of only Buddhist market stands and foodstalls. Still having no clue of what was ahead, we had to switch cars to some 4x4 taxi's. They drove out of the village, speeding , and the road was getting narrower and steeper all the time. This all in the dark and having no clue what was ahead. Lol i didn't even know there was a mountain until we started climbing. Long story short it was a drive out of hell. At the start i would be cursing those drivers, but ending up having the deepest respect for them. The road seemed to be closed to all vehicles except those 4x4's. They would stop, go full throttle, spinning around corners, driving on the left side of the road, then drive for 50 meters on the right side, cars going up and down. It was like a choreography, all seemed to know what to do and when to do it. A lot of respect for them. Mind you this was all in the dark, not being able to see where we where going and always afraid of falling out of the car.

Once on the top you find a small temple, but nothing really worth the long drive. Until you find out that there is a small path leading even more up the mountain. After hours of walking up, together with thousands of others you will finally reach the top where a huge stone is supposed to have the footstep of Buddha in it.

We arrived back down at 5AM. My sandals did survive, my GF's flipflop's didn't. :D Even for me it was cold, and the thai that where with me didn't have that much more of clothing on them.

In the end it had been an experience that i am glad i had. Going in the dark, not knowing where you where going, gave it some extra dimension for me. Many people do this at night time, i guess because in the daytime it is too warm for the climb.

GF wants to go again this year, so i might be going this week some day. If you want you might be able to join in. Not sure as i am depending on a friend who has a car to go there.

have to say i found this thread very illuminating and insightful,

i want to hear more about the amulet already, can you get one that stops bones breaking?

is this similar to what you are describing above?

its right near the end where he chopping at him with a sword.

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

Okay, 2nd attempt to write a reply. The first time the window was closed when the baby of a visiting friend hit the keyboard. (Or is that a sign i shouldn't write this?).

The smilie in my response also didn't make it. But looking forward to a PM to setup a meeting but the more the merrier i think.

There is a single thread about Khao Khitchakut here on the forums: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/97184-buddhas-footprint-khao-khitchakut/?hl=khitchakut

My story is in a lot of ways similar to his. I did write a report about it, but that was on a dutch language forum. Maybe some of the pictures are viewable to guests and a google translate might give you an idea about my experience. (Een uitstapje naar Khao Khitchakut National Park (Chantaburi))

In short: GF and some friends where sitting eating & talking one afternoon when they decided to go somewhere. As usual i didn't get any clear answers on where or what we where going to or how long it would take. So i left wearing shorts and sandals. Lucky me about the sandals as some of the ladies where wearing "nice" toeslippers. Arriving after a 4 hour drive (the lady was a slow driver and had not much of a clue of the directions) we arrived in the dark in a village that consisted of 50% of only Buddhist market stands and foodstalls. Still having no clue of what was ahead, we had to switch cars to some 4x4 taxi's. They drove out of the village, speeding , and the road was getting narrower and steeper all the time. This all in the dark and having no clue what was ahead. Lol i didn't even know there was a mountain until we started climbing. Long story short it was a drive out of hell. At the start i would be cursing those drivers, but ending up having the deepest respect for them. The road seemed to be closed to all vehicles except those 4x4's. They would stop, go full throttle, spinning around corners, driving on the left side of the road, then drive for 50 meters on the right side, cars going up and down. It was like a choreography, all seemed to know what to do and when to do it. A lot of respect for them. Mind you this was all in the dark, not being able to see where we where going and always afraid of falling out of the car.

Once on the top you find a small temple, but nothing really worth the long drive. Until you find out that there is a small path leading even more up the mountain. After hours of walking up, together with thousands of others you will finally reach the top where a huge stone is supposed to have the footstep of Buddha in it.

We arrived back down at 5AM. My sandals did survive, my GF's flipflop's didn't. :D Even for me it was cold, and the thai that where with me didn't have that much more of clothing on them.

In the end it had been an experience that i am glad i had. Going in the dark, not knowing where you where going, gave it some extra dimension for me. Many people do this at night time, i guess because in the daytime it is too warm for the climb.

GF wants to go again this year, so i might be going this week some day. If you want you might be able to join in. Not sure as i am depending on a friend who has a car to go there.

Sounds like an interesting trip and quite popular by all accounts.

Already sent you a PM and meeting up.

Make sure you wear decent walking boots if you go again!

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

i want to hear more about the amulet already, can you get one that stops bones breaking?

is this similar to what you are describing above?

its right near the end where he chopping at him with a sword.

Not really the same as a Sak offers protection from the Monk giving it. I think these guys along with similar ones you see around the world are able to block out or at least control the pain they inflict on themselves.

Amulets are a whole different thing and something I personally love. Not sure if to start talking about them here or start a new thread. Let me think......

Might not be too easy to follow the translations at times, but here is a link to the translation of my story: http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fasia4fun.com%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C566.0.html%2520(http%3A%2F%2Fasia4fun.com%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C%2520566.0.html)

Good enough to get a bit of the story though.

Had a few PM's about meeting up and if anyone wants to do it before the weekly Sapphire one tomorrow thats fine by me.

Been suggested The Beergarden about 7pm as its quite enough to talk and close to move onto Sapphire after.

Thoughts as follows:

Isn't justice for all, something that we should all be fighting for? Well maybe striving for would be a better way of putting it as the term fighting applies aggression. Could it not be that the acceptance of life being suffering means that we stop fighting for justice?

We should be striving for wisdom and understanding and peace to reach Nirvana but ignoring suffering will stop true understanding as you become ignorant to the fact.

Wisdom to help yourself and maintain your own strength so you can continue to be effective;

Wisdom to know when to try and help;

Wisdom to know when trying to help will cause more harm either in the short or long term (see the cause and effect as you will);

Wisdom to make yourself available to help;

Understanding that you cannot force your own idea of help on others;

Understanding that some find it easier to ignore suffering;  

Understanding that it’s better to empower than to just hand out short term solutions Which in reality only serve to appease
feelings of guilt and helplessness.

Peace to accept

However I did not say ignoring suffering.  But on following any arguments to refute the term ignoring I came to the conclusion that ignoring was actually a correct term.

If we just accepted that the suffering was inevitable then surely we would be dooming ourselves to suffering?

No not at all! To accept suffering means you acknowledge it so you can then do something about it. Like a drug addict admitting he has a problem before he has any chance of being cured

Perhaps or arguably one of the hardest steps for an addict to take, accepting or admission that a problem exists.  But we are all going to leave this world in suffering or watch our loved ones leave in suffering.  How does acknowledging this give you the ability to do something about it???  If you accept suffering and death are coming then perhaps if you do not “ignor” (ie try not to think about it) this fact you run
the risk of entering the ‘black cloud’.  The other alternative could be to just live for the now and not plan for the future.  There has been many a person who has pointed out the tendency of their respective girl friends to spend today and not save for tomorrow.  What is the
balance between living for today taking responsibility and saving for the future??  I guess the answer would be UP TO YOU. :)

Therefore take a bargirl for example. If she accepts that the suffering is a normal part of life, then she is not going to strive to find another way and is therefore doomed to suffer.

Don't confuse the acceptance of suffering with Karma.

Initial thought was I do not think I am confusing the two.  However I know that acceptance of Karma and how you are placed in this life does not prevent you from finding a way to improve yourself both in this life and in any other subsequent existence.  This example is actually quite an interesting one because as I think on it, its just come back to the original statement I have to admit that I have applied or been influenced by a conditioned sense of western morality rather than confusing suffering with Karma.  Reality is that most likely she is striving to create a better life, if not for herself then for others.    

Could it be argued that the doctrine which says acceptance of suffering is necessary is just not another way of controlling people and keeping them down?

No acceptance allows control. Its not a case of 'life is shit then you die' more like 'life is shit but I know that so will do what I can to reduce it before I die'

And this goes back to the first point.  Wisdom to see the shit, understanding to deal with the shit and peace to accept how much shit you going to have to put up with.  Accepting the above and finding ways to reduce the depth of shit. :)

Wow dancaholic this is pretty deep!

Only when the ego is extinguished can we truly see clearly. Striving to reduce that will open up a whole new world. Without ego there is no anger, no hostility only absolute acceptance of everything and everyone.

With no ego to cloud your perception you will be able to clearly see the world for what it really is which leads to understanding which in turn ultimately  leads to wisdom.

If we just accepted that the suffering was inevitable then surely we would be dooming ourselves to suffering? No not at all! To accept suffering means you acknowledge it so you can then do something about it. Like a drug addict admitting he has a problem before he has any chance of being cured

Absolutely. You accept suffering so you can then deal with it.

Perhaps or arguably one of the hardest steps for an addict to take, accepting or admission that a problem exists.  But we are all going to leave this
world in suffering or watch our loved ones leave in suffering.  How does acknowledging this give you the ability to do something about it???

The sad fact is we will all die its impossible to stop so why ignore the fact? If you accept it then when it happens you are ready. Remember death simply precedes rebirth so its not the end it is in fact the start of the beginning.

If you accept suffering and death are coming then perhaps if you do not “ignor” (ie try not to think about it) this fact you run the risk of entering the ‘black cloud’. 

Why? You have accepted it so there is no need to ignore it. As I say death is not the end. If you have lived a mindful life in many ways death should be looked forward to as you will be on your way to a new life with all the karma you have earned. You can not stop death so ignoring it causes suffering accepting it releases you from that suffering.

The other alternative could be to just live for the now and not plan for the future.  There has been many a person who has pointed out the tendency of their respective girl friends to spend today and not save for tomorrow.  What is the balance between living for today taking responsibility and saving for the future??  I guess the answer would be UP TO YOU

Only this moment is real, tomorrow has not arrived and yesterday is past. Living in the moment makes life so much easier as you only worry about the moment this is a major Buddhist teaching. Problem is as westerners we plan for tomorrow but who actually has a better life us or the Thai's enjoying what they have not chasing bigger and better as defined in the 4 Nobel Truths?

Therefore take a bargirl for example. If she accepts that the suffering is a normal part of life, then she is not going to strive to find another way and is therefore doomed to suffer.

As you said 'she accepts suffering is a part of life' that does not mean she believes all of life is suffering only parts.

Don't confuse the acceptance of suffering with Karma.

Absolutely they are not connected at all,

Initial thought was I do not think I am confusing the two.  However I know that acceptance of Karma and how you are placed in this life does not prevent you from finding a way to improve yourself both in this life and in any other subsequent existence.

Now you have it! Acceptance of this life because its based on the karma of your previous one gives you understanding and (hopefully) the wisdom to try to become the best you can and achieve the karma from living a better (more considerate) life ready for the next life.

I have to admit that I have applied or been influenced by a conditioned sense of western morality rather than confusing suffering with Karma.

You can only use the tools and knowledge you have to face life. If you learn and follow a different path it will give you a different perspective.

Could it be argued that the doctrine which says acceptance of suffering is necessary is just not another way of controlling people and keeping them
down?

No absolutely not its society that puts and keeps people down not the mind. The only prison in this world is the mind regardless of where you are if your outlook is right you will always be free.

Its not a case of 'life is shit then you die' more like 'life is shit but I know that so will do what I can to reduce it before I die'

PERFECT! Now you understand acceptance of suffering. You know its there so it can be dealt with.

Wisdom to see the shit, understanding to deal with the shit and peace to accept how much shit you going to have to put up with.  Accepting the above and finding ways to reduce the depth of shit.

Acceptance allows you to see shit. Understanding allows you to control shit. Wisdom stops shit!

Any good?

Fascinating mate  for me losing a child for me set me on a spiritually  path of '' PROOF OF EXISTENCE'' since that day life for me  has been about being a better person , but sadly most of us are imperfect! And my mongering does bother me even if i try to be a nice falang !

Was in a beer bar in soi  Chayipoon and ladies scream someone in your loom , lights had come on ! Ran across quick check all good the  fan was also on . Said  an  acknowledgment to my dear daughter always travel with her photo taken as she had just passed and felt at peace !

stanwick lad

Had a few PM's about meeting up and if anyone wants to do it before the weekly Sapphire one tomorrow thats fine by me.

Been suggested The Beergarden about 7pm as its quite enough to talk and close to move onto Sapphire after.

I will be meeting up with Para tonight for a nice drink and a conversation. Anyone up to that can join in. We will meet around 7PM in the beergarden. If interested you can send Para or me a PM for a phonenumber so we can find eachother.

Fascinating mate  for me losing a child for me set me on a spiritually  path of '' PROOF OF EXISTENCE'' since that day life for me  has been about being a better person , but sadly most of us are imperfect! And my mongering does bother me even if i try to be a nice falang !

Was in a beer bar in soi  Chayipoon and ladies scream someone in your loom , lights had come on ! Ran across quick check all good the  fan was also on . Said  an  acknowledgment to my dear daughter always travel with her photo taken as she had just passed and felt at peace !

Firstly I am truly sorry for your loss I can't begin to imagine the pain you have suffered dealing with it. What did make me smile is that you realise your daughter travels with you and on occasions lets you know she is there. I applaud you for having the strength to say thank you to her and wish her well.

We are all imperfect that is why we are forced to live on this plane of existence. Only the Enlightened ones are truly perfect and are rewarded with being able to break the birth/rebirth cycle and live in Nirvana.

If you want to talk about this off topic I am more than happy to.

So what is Ego then?.

Cambridge dictionary defines ego as, “your idea or opinion of you own self, or a great feeling of your own importance and ability”, and goes further to state that “in psychoanalysis, the part of a person's mind which tries to match the hidden desires (wishes) of the id (part of the unconscious mind) with the demands of reality”.

Buddha said we are all that our minds create. Our world is created with our thoughts, therefore you have the ability to simply let go of ego. Nothing matters because nothing is permanent. Nothing anyone says, does or even feels is real. From one moment to the next it has changed and is no longer what it started out as. Also you are no different than anyone or any sentient being in that we are all

striving to end our suffering and we are all caught in the same whirlpool of samsara or the cycle of life, death and rebirth. When you realize you were once the other person or animal or some other living thing then you can see that the ego just has no place. Awaken to this truth and you will have let go of ego.

As stated in the first noble truth the reason for suffering is Desire (the attachment to wanting). So to end Desire one has to let go of their ego. Ending Desire is what will allow you to end your suffering as stated in the third noble truth ‘the end to suffering is to end attachment and desire’ see we are back to attachment again?

Then we can see that the reason to let go of ego is because self does not matter because in Buddhism we strive for Anatta or the no-self.

It also alludes to contrasting yourself to the world or another self, this is against the principles of equality and equality is another main pillar of the Buddhist belief system and way of life. In Buddhism we see each and every sentient being as the same, no matter if it's an ant, human, dog or tree. Reason being is because we have all been different beings in our countless lives. So how are you any different now because you are not what you once were, in this life-i.e. a tree- than the tree that is alive right now? The tree was once you as well. You are no different and in your next life could very well be a tree again.

The problem is we do not understand this phenomenon, but all living sentient beings are caught in the same samsara (the cycle of birth and rebirth), the same suffering, on the same path. And all have the same goal, to end suffering. How would you feel as an animal that was once a human when as

that animal you were abused and treated lower by those that are humans in this life? When you can see that there is no difference between you and all sentient beings then the egotistical contrast of yourself to the world and other selves makes no sense and is a waste of time.

Therefore ego can be released and it will no longer hinder you from reaching enlightenment.

The ego is your enemy, not your friend. It is the ego that gives you wounds and hurts you. It is the ego that makes you violent, angry, jealous,  competitive. It is the ego that is continuously comparing and feeling miserable. - Osho

dancaholic There is one final part to the jigsaw that I want to share with you. Hopefully what I write may also help Stanwick Lad.

We have spoken about attachment and the problems it causes. When someone has a good feeling or moment in time they want it to last so they desperately try and hold onto it but as we all know nothing lasts everything goes in cycles. Buddhism uses the word ‘desire’ not in the carnal way but in the craving way. We feel good, want to keep feeling good so Desire the feeling of good which never lasts so when it goes we are left feeling empty
and suffering arises. Similarly with bad things rather than just letting them pass when they are ready we try and push them away but that actually causes us to attach to them which means we are more conscious of the badness so more suffering!

Truly understanding the fact we are not in control of the external influences on us gives us the wisdom to realise that when good come you simply enjoy it while it last knowing it will pass at some point and not attaching to trying to keep the feeling just accepting it. Same when things are hard you just accept the hardness knowing through wisdom that in time it will pass and that time is not under our control. That way you accept all emotions
for what they are without attachment enjoying the moments of good and accepting the moments of bad. Again back to the fact only today is real not yesterday and not tomorrow so live in the moment.

Right now I am personally in a really bad place but I know in time it will pass and I will be back to being happy. I cannot fight or control the 2 problems I have and trying to do so would make them bigger so all I can do is accept and wait. The more you are able to detach (non-attach) to ALL emotions the less you will suffer.

Amulets are a whole different thing and something I personally love. Not sure if to start talking about them here or start a new thread. Let me think......

i would very much like to hear more, i would keep it in this thread as its related and a separate thread would likely die very quickly.

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

i would very much like to hear more, i would keep it in this thread as its related and a separate thread would likely die very quickly.

OK I'll make a start in the next day or so....

Here’s a quick introduction to Amulets

Amulets have been made and worn in Thailand for years when I say years I mean over 1000 years. There are many kinds with various purposes but fundamentally they are all worn for protection. They were in the past made by Monk's and given to soldiers to help protect them in battle. The King has in the past made batches of Amulets and given them out even today there are Monk's making them.

A Monk would never sell an amulet. He would either make them and give them to the temple as a means of raising money or in the past simply give them out to people that offer Alms. The absolute crown jewels of Amulets were made by a Monk called Somdej Toh when he was Abbot to Wat Rakang in Bangkok just over 150 years ago. He used to give his out free today they are worth in excess of 20M THB. Not bad for a piece of compressed chalk that has bits of rice in!

There are literally thousands of combinations of amulets based on the Monk, the Temple it was made, the style and the year. I won't even go into detail on this as its incredibly complex but for the most part there a handful of popular styles.

Somdej – Without doubt the most common amulet worn by men. Was first designed by Somdej Toh some 150 years ago now copied by many Monk's. The first is a modern Somdej worth a few thousand while the second is an original WRK worth 10's of millions.

Somdej WRK 2523_resize.jpg

Somdej Toh WRK Pim Yai_resize.jpg

Khun Pean – There is a long story about Khun Pean and his battles with his rival Khun Chan. The story of this amulet is actually quite gruesome but TiT. Khun Pean’s wife died while pregnant. Khun Pean not wanting to lose both did *something* with the body which was then used to make an amulet. You may remember a few years ago the mass discovery of fetuses in a temple in Bangkok? They were used to make these Amulets. The Most desired Khun Pean was made by Luang Por Tim in Rayong and will be worth up to 500k THB. Khun Pean was incredibly handsome is worn as a way to charm the girls. If you are wearing a K.P. and a BG sees’s it she will certainly make a comment about you being a butterfly.

Khun Pean_resize.jpg 

khunpaenIpohfrontBIG_resize.jpg

L.P. Taud – L.P. Taud was from Southern Thailand over 500 years ago. His Amulets are desired for protection especially when travelling.

uncledualLPtutfrontBIG.jpg

Phra Nangphya – These amulets date back over 800 years and were originally given to the Thai army before fighting. They are quite popular with girls.

NangPaya1_resize.jpg

Butterfly/Sarigar – Easily the most popular with the girls. If you look closely there are 2 birds facing each other. It's said that Sarigar husband died and she is just waiting her time to be with him. She is all about love and should have a sweet smell about her. BG’s believe wearing Sarigar will help people fall in love with them.

Sarigar_resize.jpg

Phra Pitta – There are 2 styles of Pitta but they look very similar. The first you can see his eyes are covered the second one he actually has 4 hands/arms covering his eyes and his body. Covering the eyes is supposed to allow you to do things without others seeing. Covering the body is for protection from guns and knives. When I go out at night I will wear a chain with a Pitta on the back watching out for me. Below are very clear examples of the 2 but in reality you really have to look close to see the extra hands.

Pidta Lab1_resize.jpg 

Pidta Utt_resize.jpg

Phra Leela – Easily the most beautiful Buddha amulet IMO. Dates back up to 700 years.

Phra Leela Larn Dok Mai_resize.jpg

Leela_resize.jpg

That will do as a start!

Thanks Para, educational.

Happy to help.

If you or anyone has any specific questions please feel free to post them.

Down the road from my place here in Kamphaeng Phet, there is an area where just about every day there are a half dozen to a dozen tables set up surrounded by guys selling amulets and looking at amulets, tons of these guys have jeweler's loups and they seem to spend a lot of time examining each other's amulets, but not much actual commerce seems to be going on, what is the deal with those guys?

Down the road from my place here in Kamphaeng Phet, there is an area where just about every day there are a half dozen to a dozen tables set up surrounded by guys selling amulets and looking at amulets, tons of these guys have jeweler's loups and they seem to spend a lot of time examining each other's amulets, but not much actual commerce seems to be going on, what is the deal with those guys?

In many ways its used as a social gathering as well as for trading. You need a loupe to see the fine detail on an amulet and to look for the correct markings. Problem is there are so many fakes out there and its incredibly difficult to tell them apart at times.

I have a Thai friend that has an Amulet shop been in the game all his life and he kinda trained me. Even he said when it comes to the real old and expensive ones even so called experts can have problems authenticating. Told me some on had a L.P. Taud they wanted to rent (you don't buy or sell amulets you rent them) and it was over 500k so there were 5 of them that went to check it out. Three said it was real 2 said it was fake and these guys have been at it for 20+ years.

If you go down behind Wat Phra Kaew by the river you will see literally hundreds of people with stalls.

Hi Para

Thread very quite.

How are you doing, hope all is good.

Very good infor on the amulets.  Please keep it coming if you got the time and energy.

Archived