IGNORED

English Monk in Thailand....

what are your religious leanings/beliefs?  I was just wondering...  and why come into a thread and insult people for theirs?

my first impression was that you were full of anger when I read your posts...  Now I get it, you  were just setting everyone straight by "telling things as they are."...  thanks for clearing that up!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My religious views are neither here nor there, but since you asked and I don't want to seem like I'm fudging things, I'm agnostic/atheist depending on your definition.

I understand people's reactions to me--any time you threaten a belief system people get touchy.

I probably would have stayed out of this thread, but the amulet talk prodded me into responding. These 50 million baht amulets--George Carlin's remark could not be more appropriate. And then Para dismisses him because he's a comedian. Look at the content of Carlin's remark--it's spot on and a lot more useful in this world than a lot of the 'philosophy' that has been discussed on this thread.

What do you get for your 50 million? A better life in the next life? That's what people believe, no matter what Para says about Buddhism not having reincarnation. There's a lot of bad about Buddhism in Thailand (and other places for that matter), and it's quite obvious if you open your eyes. Million baht amulets indeed. What would the Buddha say about that?

Edit: By the way, I haven't attacked anyone, I've only attacked some of the ideas in this thread. Yet the same can not be said about others--I've been hit with veiled attacks 'to give the people following this an insight into the kind of person you are' and direct attacks 'Its a shame to see someone so blinded by anger and ignorance.'

Although alternative views are allowed and encouraged we do our best to operate a friendly forum. Expat dude your points and questions were made in an aggressive manner which is something we discourage. They have however now been answered so will stay. I would suggest that if you have any further input you post it with the same courtesy that has been afforded to you. Any more disruptive posts may be removed. This thread is 1 persons story and viewpoint. No one is suggesting it is the 'word of god' nor that it must remain unchallenged. Para appears happy to answer everyone's questions in turn. Please allow him to do so.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I dont vent any anger--I simply tell things as they are. This thread was very out of balance when I came in. Your reactions to my posts are interesting. Criticizing me as a person full of anger, yet you don't know me.

It's a loving act I do here--saintlike. Hopefully someone now will come along and as they get reeled in, they'll finally read my post and say "Wait a minute, they almost had me believing I was a dog in a former life! What claptrap! Thank god expatdude broke the spell and woke me up!"

:)

All power to you in your kooky beliefs. I'm going back to my anger management class. ;)

So only thing you would be guilty of, would be lying then?

Oh sorry, if you cant admit you were angry, you wouldnt see it as lying... Sorry about that.

Next time try to think twice before you post, and if you can not post in a positive productive manner, dont post at all.

Although alternative views are allowed and encouraged we do our best to operate a friendly forum. Expat dude your points and questions were made in an aggressive manner which is something we discourage. They have however now been answered so will stay. I would suggest that if you have any further input you post it with the same courtesy that has been afforded to you. Any more disruptive posts may be removed. This thread is 1 persons story and viewpoint. No one is suggesting it is the 'word of god' nor that it must remain unchallenged. Para appears happy to answer everyone's questions in turn. Please allow him to do so.

Pepe, I agree that I posted aggressively as I thought the ideas, especially about the amulets, merited such a response. I would point out again that I only responded to the ideas in this thread, and never attacked the people, whereas I was not afforded the same courtesy. I will in future try even harder to be respectful to those involved. I would hope that they would do the same.

All right Para, having been chastised for being aggressive, I'll try to answer your post respectfully and hopefully usefully.

Actually he only has a couple of questions lets give him the attention he so desperately needs.....

Hm, I guess I'll pass on commenting on that in our new spirit of friendly dialogue.

Why aren't there women monks?

There are they are known as Mae Ji here.

I've seen Mae Ji, and they are certainly different from most monks. I've certainly never seen them collecting alms in the morning. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordination_of_women_in_Buddhism

However Thailand's two main Theravada Buddhist orders, the Mahanikaya and Dhammayutika Nikaya, have yet to officially accept fully ordained women into their ranks. Despite substantial and growing support inside the religious hierarchy, sometimes fierce opposition to the ordination of women within the sangha remains.

This also is evidence of the conflicting beliefs I mentioned below:

Why are there so many different Buddhist sects with so many different, conflicting beliefs?

Your Buddhist knowledge is obviously better than mine can you tell me how many different types of Buddhism you know as I only know of 3 different lineages and what the conflicting beliefs are because regardless of linage the Dhamma is the same.

What proof do you have of reincarnation

There is no such thing as reincarnation in Buddhism.

Ok. Thanks. Why does Buddha talk about his past lives then?

and why should anyone believe something like that when it is an obvious con to reel in people who are afraid of death?

Any Buddhist is certainly not afraid of death in fact its quite the opposite! Maybe you should ask one?

I think you must have misspoke here. Any Buddhist is certainly not afraid of death? That could never be true, can't we at least agree about that? If you are saying that Buddhists tend to be less fearful of death because of their beliefs, that's fine--I'd agree with you. The same could be said of Catholics believing they're going to heaven. I could believe that after death, I'd get all the cutest Thai girls I want for as long as I want, and that would make death more attractive if I could convince myself of it. However, I can't bring myself to believe that will happen.

'I hope your hocus pocus gives you a lot of comfort. Past lives indeed.'

No need to hope I can assure you it does.

I apologize for the 'aggressive' nature of my above post. I'm glad you find comfort and I know that you continually reassess your beliefs. Maybe some of the things I say may even be of use to you.

'To quote the great George Carlin, who deserves more worship than the Buddha in my humble opinion:'

If you are but a simple fool what better icon to worship and follow than a comedian....

Carlin really said some great things worthy of a philosopher not matter what you classify him as. Look again at what he said--it's spot on. I would respectfully point out that implying I'm a fool is not very nice, nor is looking down on someone because of their profession. I understand it is in response to my 'aggressiveness' but I hope we can move on from that.

Cheers,

expatdude.

:)

Will be in Pattaya for some of my upcoming trip, love to have a meal with you!  Not sure of when I plan to be in Patts yet, but I will let you know...

21 days with no agenda or tgf in village to visit, that budding "relationship" flamed out, thank buddha!  Want to go Chiang Mai I think, maybe some time exploring the area around Phuket...  BKK for business, but only one day...  Wide open agenda really...

Sounds like fun but please don't invite Expatitude! (Did I spell that right?)

Don't worry Big Man has a plan for you just sit back and enjoy the journey!

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Wow Expatdude, not sure why you want to vent your anger at Para? I can understand some of your concerns about buddhism being like some religeons but like all organizations of faith, that is the hierarchy and not the followers. If you read the thread, you could not paint Para as anything negative. In fact when asked challenging questions, he has responded politely and without contempt. If you do not like the thread, why not ignore it? I do enjoy George Carlin though:-)

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Joseph thank you but his anger is not at me its goes a LOT deeper.

The problem with ego is it stops you seeing the world for what it is and forces you to see it the way it wants you to see it. That alone makes for a world of pain as you battle with the conflicting worlds of reality and ego generated illusion. That make for a lot of suffering.....

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

what are your religious leanings/beliefs?  I was just wondering...  and why come into a thread and insult people for theirs?

He will never state them as he knows he will then be open for comment.

Thanks you I will answer what he has posted then I am sorry no more. As you and everyone can so clearly see this thread is simply about my choices in life which involve Buddhism. He is struggling with the fact someone with a different view on life than him is able to build up a decent thread full of similarly minded people without anger, aggression and most of all ego.

So only thing you would be guilty of, would be lying then?

Oh sorry, if you cant admit you were angry, you wouldnt see it as lying... Sorry about that.

Next time try to think twice before you post, and if you can not post in a positive productive manner, dont post at all.

Applying logic is a waste of time here as there is in his mind only his way. Hopefully he will move on soon.

Whilst I kinda hoped you would go away I knew you would stay and continue your crusade.....

After these replies I am sorry no more.

I probably would have stayed out of this thread, but the amulet talk prodded me into responding. These 50 million baht amulets--George Carlin's remark could not be more appropriate. And then Para dismisses him because he's a comedian. Look at the content of Carlin's remark--it's spot on and a lot more useful in this world than a lot of the 'philosophy' that has been discussed on this thread.

What do you get for your 50 million? A better life in the next life? That's what people believe, no matter what Para says about Buddhism not having reincarnation. There's a lot of bad about Buddhism in Thailand (and other places for that matter), and it's quite obvious if you open your eyes. Million baht amulets indeed. What would the Buddha say about that?

Edit: By the way, I haven't attacked anyone, I've only attacked some of the ideas in this thread. Yet the same can not be said about others--I've been hit with veiled attacks 'to give the people following this an insight into the kind of person you are' and direct attacks 'Its a shame to see someone so blinded by anger and ignorance.'

Has anyone forced you into renting an expensive Amulet? Did the person who rented it ask you for your money so he could rent it? No so whats the deal a guy chooses to spend 50M on something and he is wrong. Man total ego!

I had to wiki George Carlin I am not from your country and they described him as a comedian I simply repeated what they said. Maybe you should approach wiki and get them to change his page?

Look at the content of Carlin's remark--it's spot on and a lot more useful in this world than a lot of the 'philosophy' that has been discussed on this thread.

In your opinion its spot on because it fits with your beliefs. Once again clouded arrogant judgement driven by your ego.

What do you get for your 50 million?

A very expensive Amulet!

A better life in the next life?

No the belief in a better current life. See I use the word belief rather than making it an absolute? If you read through my post you will see I also made the comment 'even if after death there is nothing and in fact Buddhism is in reality nothing but lies isn't it still a nice way to live your life being considerate and helping'

That's what people believe,

Drop the ego why cant you simply accept people have different opinions to you? I like tall Thai girls, to a guy that like short Indian girls am I wrong in his eyes? No only a fool how is blinded by anger and ego can not accept everyone is different.

no matter what Para says about Buddhism not having reincarnation

WTF? All Buddhist know there is no such thing as reincarnation!

There's a lot of bad about Buddhism in Thailand (and other places for that matter)

Without a single fact to back this up or use as example its simply an (ego driven) opinion. Get me details and lets discuss them.

and it's quite obvious if you open your eyes.

What and look at the world the way you do? No thanks.

Million baht amulets indeed. What would the Buddha say about that?

IMO he would not be impressed and would say the money could of been used to help others.

Wow you are so deluded. Don't you see that what you think and what others think are 2 VERY different things. You say you are not angry but have been called out many times as being angry. When I have critiqued you its been on a psychological level not a Buddhist level.

Pepe, I agree that I posted aggressively as I thought the ideas, especially about the amulets, merited such a response. I would point out again that I only responded to the ideas in this thread, and never attacked the people, whereas I was not afforded the same courtesy. I will in future try even harder to be respectful to those involved. I would hope that they would do the same.

I agree that I posted aggressively

First you say you are not posting angry now you are saying you did? Do I need to say more?

I would point out again that I only responded to the ideas in this thread, and never attacked the people, whereas I was not afforded the same courtesy. I will in future try even harder to be respectful to those involved. I would hope that they would do the same.

Mate grow a pair and jog on! Attacking a person belief in your opinion isn't the same as attacking them? Damn bro do you have a dog to help you walk? Don't take that as a personal attack just as an opinion to your comments in your posts......

All right Para, having been chastised for being aggressive, I'll try to answer your post respectfully and hopefully usefully.

Hm, I guess I'll pass on commenting on that in our new spirit of friendly dialogue.

I've seen Mae Ji, and they are certainly different from most monks. I've certainly never seen them collecting alms in the morning. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordination_of_women_in_Buddhism

This also is evidence of the conflicting beliefs I mentioned below:

Ok. Thanks. Why does Buddha talk about his past lives then?

I think you must have misspoke here. Any Buddhist is certainly not afraid of death? That could never be true, can't we at least agree about that? If you are saying that Buddhists tend to be less fearful of death because of their beliefs, that's fine--I'd agree with you. The same could be said of Catholics believing they're going to heaven. I could believe that after death, I'd get all the cutest Thai girls I want for as long as I want, and that would make death more attractive if I could convince myself of it. However, I can't bring myself to believe that will happen.

I apologize for the 'aggressive' nature of my above post. I'm glad you find comfort and I know that you continually reassess your beliefs. Maybe some of the things I say may even be of use to you.

Carlin really said some great things worthy of a philosopher not matter what you classify him as. Look again at what he said--it's spot on. I would respectfully point out that implying I'm a fool is not very nice, nor is looking down on someone because of their profession. I understand it is in response to my 'aggressiveness' but I hope we can move on from that.

Cheers,

expatdude.

Do you really think I am going to spend time post after boring post with you because you have  no interest in Buddhism just on showing off your ego and telling us all we are wrong and you are the way to a better life.

Bottom line is (in your opinion) you are correct and can see everything where as the people that partake in this thread are unable to see the truth and you want to help them see it well see it your way. Here's an idea YOU start a new thread and help people that want to see like exactly the same way you do and leave the people that CHOOSE Buddhism to continue in peace.

Your opinion is different from ours so I suggest finding a thread where people are the same as yours because IMO all you are doing is making yourself look stupid with you lies (I don't post aggressive - sorry Pepe maybe I was aggressive) and the delusion you suffer from from one of the largest ego's I have had the misfortune to encounter.

If you feel my refusal to enable you anymore as having beat me and proved your point thats fine by me. To be honest I don't strive for attention and the need to be right I am happy with the nice simple life I have.

Please feel free to take my comments as personal or in your style as just my opinion......

With metta

Para out.

I think Expertdude...oops...Expatdude is just a very wise man that soon will have many followers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatdudism

(If it isn't on Wikiedia, it does not exist)

LMFAO! You don't hang about mate do you!

I'm just concerned people may connect it to a Buddhist linage would you edit the page stating in no way is it connected to Buddhism but is a newer more self focused religion?

I'm sorry you aren't willing to accept my offer of a respectful dialogue.

Sadly the way your first what 4 or 5 post were so aggressive and narrow minded I have no interest in engaging any more with you. Whilst I don't doubt you would/could of brought many different opinions and angles into play for people to consider you started off wrong alienating yourself from the thread followers and hence losing any respect your posts may of contained.

I have welcomed everyone to this thread regardless of belief and happily answered their questions because they questions were valid and useful.

Sadly like your posts there was another guy religion not important who just spewed off irrelevant questions telling the world how Buddhism was wrong which I answered but he left never to been seen again.

I am more than happy to engage in meaningful conversation on Buddhism but I will not get dragged into justify my choice in following it. This thread is for people that want to either take a first look at Buddhism or build on the knowledge they have. Its not a religious war thread but is (was) a nice peaceful one.

Enjoy your day......

Thanks for a reasoned and calm response. I accept your unwillingness to engage with me any more, though I find it rather surprising that you are not willing to forgive and forget. I would think that would be part of most religions/philosophies--if not, it certainly should be.

I can't wait to see the tenets of expatdudism. :) I just hope I can get some cash out of it at some point. Please make donations high on the list!

You are both forgiven and forgotten.

With metta

I tried to edit the expatdudism wiki in a humorous way, but they deleted it right away.

As I see that you enjoyed eXplosief's post and wanted to extend the humor, I'll try to recreate what I wrote below:

This wiki was created by eXplosief in response to posts by expatdude in the English Monk in Thailand thread on the Pattaya Addicts board.

The following was written by expatdude to flesh out eXplosief's idea and to show there was no hard feelings about getting a ribbing.

expatdudism also known as mongerism

All followers of expatdudism will enjoy and afterlife including unlimited free short times and long time, free beer and spirits (mixers are extra), and two instances of valet parking per month.

There is only one basic tenet of the religion. All followers must deposit 32.72% of their yearly income into the brotherhood's bank account. PM expatdude for the account number. No refunds will be given, though begging sometimes results in extra valet parking.

I'm gonna be rollin' in the dough!

OK I vote we give expatdude a yellow card for being an arrogant, egotistical pain in the ass BUT give him another chance?

Red card next time OK?

I'm not quite understanding, sorry--yellow card for the above post? I really was trying to be funny and roll with what you guys were saying about me--if you find the above post offensive I'd be happy to remove it.

If you mean yellow card for previous posts, okie dokie, consider me carded. :)

The above post got your red card reduced down to a yellow!

Carded you have been and I see have accepted said carded as the understanding its the final carding before you get permanently carded.

Right no you have stopped being twat what questions/points you interested in raising?

Thanks for reducing the yellow card. If you'd really like a question, it would be about what you said--there's no reincarnation in Buddhism. I googled it after you said that, and got mixed results--some said there was others said there wasn't. There were definitely some mentions of the Buddha having many past lives, so I just can't reconcile all this info--if you feel like it, I'd be interested to hear why you think reincarnation is not a part of Buddhism.

I was being pedantic but accurate with my first answer.

Reincarnation is broadly defined as coming back to live a life again as the SAME person. Buddhism believe in rebirth with your new life being based on the karma achieved during your current life. You can be reborn as any human, animal or plant any Sentient being.

Its said Lord Buddha lived and was able to recall over 500 different lives some as animal most as human. This is where IMO Buddhism wins because you are kinda paying it forward in this life to gain good karma so your next life is better. That's why I said Buddhists were not afraid of death because life is eternal birth - death - rebirth known as 'Samsara'

I see. Do you believe that the Buddha lived "500 different lives some as animal most as human"? And if you do, how did you come to that belief--keeping in mind what it says in your signature: "Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

I see. Do you believe that the Buddha lived "500 different lives some as animal most as human"? And if you do, how did you come to that belief--keeping in mind what it says in your signature: "Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

many people have faith and belief in things that cannot be proven.  why the insistence on everyone seeing things your way?  what is your point if not that?  do you have all the answers?  

Archived