Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What is the most difficult golf course to play around Pattaya

globalexperiences

Mountain Shadow can be a good course.  problem is condition.  Sometimes not so good.  ANother problem (not the courses fault) is getting home in the late afternoon thru traffic can be a bitch.  

And many players who do not hit the ball straight find the course too difficult.  There are a lot of narrow fairways and sometimes just hitting the fairway doesn't guarantee you have a shot to the green.  If you aren't on form it is a long day.  But fair enough golf can be like that.

Still I agree when the course is in good shape it is a very good one.  I know I rarely if ever shoot my handicap but that's OK as few do.  And for reference I am currently a 6.1.  

I also prefer several other courses to Mountain Shadow.

Plantation is a great layout and always in good shape.  Yes, for the better player it is our advantage as the forward tees most societies play put us in position to hit over a lot of the trouble and make #1 rated holes a driver and wedge.  And on that course if you can attack the greens with the wedge huge advantage due to the required carries over bunkers and hard to hold greens.  Price is too high though.

Old SIam is great.  Off the back tees all a player can handle.  BTW, the ladies tour actually play an easier layout on it than most mens societies do from the whites.  I don't see why as they are capable of a tougher challenge.  

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found Bangpra most difficult due to the speed of the greens, which were significantly faster than any of the other courses l had played around Pattaya.

I come to Thailand for the beaches.....How about you ???

Have to agree with some of the other posters and say Siam Plantation, remember watching a beautiful pitching wedge right at the pin on the first roll off the green down into the drainage area. Didn't bode well for the rest of the round!!

Have to agree with some of the other posters and say Siam Plantation, remember watching a beautiful pitching wedge right at the pin on the first roll off the green down into the drainage area. Didn't bode well for the rest of the round!!

do you call that difficult, or contrived? 

Good shots on good courses get rewarded, bad shots on good courses get punished.  Good golf shots on contrived courses need good luck,

there is a difference!

Sure, Siam Plantation is nicely manicured, with some good testing holes, but too many mickey mouse greens to be considered a median for course difficulty.  Plus forget it when we have had rain, the drainage is poor, especially when you consider the amount paid for green fees etc.

There are plenty of better priced, challenging courses around, leave this 1 to members & tourists.

do you call that difficult, or contrived? 

Good shots on good courses get rewarded, bad shots on good courses get punished.  Good golf shots on contrived courses need good luck,

there is a difference!

Sure, Siam Plantation is nicely manicured, with some good testing holes, but too many mickey mouse greens to be considered a median for course difficulty.  Plus forget it when we have had rain, the drainage is poor, especially when you consider the amount paid for green fees etc.

There are plenty of better priced, challenging courses around, leave this 1 to members & tourists.

I don;t think it is contrived at all.  At Siam Plantation if you hit the right part of the green you are rewarded.  If you hit a good drive you are rewarded.  If you hit a bad shot you are punished.   But you have to hit the right kind of shot into many greens.  It is difficult for many golfers because they can not hit a high shot that stops.  If you try to run the ball up greens are bunkered and have multiple tiers.  Tiered greens are HOW they deliver reward/punishment on some holes.  That isn't contrived unless you have a single minded idea of what a golf course is supposed to be.

As to condition and drainage, well I confess I've not played there enough to ever see flooding or problems.  My only complaint with Plantation is price.  it is dear for a round of golf.

It is difficult for many golfers because they can not hit a high shot that stops.

When I played at plantation, the problem was that the greens were bouncy.

My pitching wedge shots normally cause a backspin of about 2 to 3 meters on normal greens after pitching, but at plantation my shots often didn't pitch and instead bounced 2-3 meters high and away... :-(

It is a testament to how goofy Plantation is,that the LPGA girls don't want to go back there.

They played it and hated it.

I don't mind it,as I can play.My index is 4,and I am accurate enough not to get killed into the greens.

That is really the only defense the course has,is around the greens.It is wide and there is not a lot of trouble off the tee.

Our group of players have no issue there.

Go play Treasure Hills from the tippers.That will get anyone's attention.Its a way better lay out,but of course,lacks conditioning.

When I played at plantation, the problem was that the greens were bouncy.

My pitching wedge shots normally cause a backspin of about 2 to 3 meters on normal greens after pitching, but at plantation my shots often didn't pitch and instead bounced 2-3 meters high and away... :-(

When did you play?  

I had the same experience at Sr Andrews 2000.  New greens.  Eventually they softened and it was playable.  Perhaps you had the same thing.  I've not experienced that at Plantation.

It is a testament to how goofy Plantation is,that the LPGA girls don't want to go back there.

They played it and hated it.

I don't mind it,as I can play.My index is 4,and I am accurate enough not to get killed into the greens.

That is really the only defense the course has,is around the greens.It is wide and there is not a lot of trouble off the tee.

Our group of players have no issue there.

Go play Treasure Hills from the tippers.That will get anyone's attention.Its a way better lay out,but of course,lacks conditioning.

I admit I love Plantation.  And I think the LPGA isn't a good judge of courses.  If you've ever watched them set up Siam it is shorter than most local mens tournaments from the whites.  And they take some of the natural challenges out of Siam so the girls can look better.

I agree 100% with you on Treasure Hills.  Aptly named course when in good condition as the value and challenge are excellent.  It could use a few more decent caddies but heck, I can play with or without cause the layout is great.

I admit I love Plantation.  And I think the LPGA isn't a good judge of courses.  If you've ever watched them set up Siam it is shorter than most local mens tournaments from the whites.  And they take some of the natural challenges out of Siam so the girls can look better.

I agree 100% with you on Treasure Hills.  Aptly named course when in good condition as the value and challenge are excellent.  It could use a few more decent caddies but heck, I can play with or without cause the layout is great.

They could've done a far batter job at Plantation.None of the courses hold a candle to the old course.

The girls set up is too easy and it sucks that we get kicked off for a month,but they tried to set up Plantation for the girls and it Didnt work.I think LPGA players are a pretty good gauge of what a Tournemant golf course should look like.

Korean hackers are not,and that's what Plantation is for.They can have it.I will play there,but even when we had the deal for 14,000 baht piggy backed off our Old Course memberships,we Didnt play much,as there are many courses better.

When did you play?  

I had the same experience at Sr Andrews 2000.  New greens.  Eventually they softened and it was playable.  Perhaps you had the same thing.  I've not experienced that at Plantation.

It was Feb 2012, and the course still felt new.

St Andrews? I heard the GF has now reached ridiculous prices.

I played there when it was still 18 GBP back in 1987.

A lot of the courses are designed for quick play, not much rough, but the koreans are able to play in 5 and half hours with ease?

I doubt if any decent handicap player would acheive their handicap at either Mountain Shadow or Emerald, both are not long but tough the first time you play them. You have to get your ball in the right area or both fairways and greens or disaster awaits.

Emerald has the best par 3 combination in the area, if you par all 3 you have had a result.

A lot of the courses are designed for quick play, not much rough, but the koreans are able to play in 5 and half hours with ease?

I doubt if any decent handicap player would acheive their handicap at either Mountain Shadow or Emerald, both are not long but tough the first time you play them. You have to get your ball in the right area or both fairways and greens or disaster awaits.

Emerald has the best par 3 combination in the area, if you par all 3 you have had a result.

I believe you are right.  The times I have shot my handicap on either is rare.

Indeed.  All four of the par 3 holes are quite difficult at the Emerald.  On the back nine, the first one, next to the water on the left.  My tee shot faded short and right, down in the shit.  After walking up to my ball, discovered painfully it was in a nest of red ants.  That's another hazard you have to contend with.  However, most clubs do allow for a free drop in that situation. 

It would be handy to know what handicaps these posters are, as a point of reference.

May be more of a relevant assessment on Par 3s at Emerald, if in the words of 1 BM, the poster "can play". 

"On the back nine, the first one, next to the water on the left. My tee shot faded short and right, down in the shit."  Sounds more like BogeyPro hit a poor shot, (as we all do on occasions).

The par 3s at Emerald are challenging sure, but as a collective group I don't think the toughest, try Treasure Hill #2, #13, & #17 will certainly give you enough challenges to carry the short #6, which is no snack anyway for a 130 yard hole.

ps  -  mid single figures

Played Pattana this week off the whites which were all placed quite far back. made the course rather long. 15 of us played and no-one broke par. Back nine greens very much faster than front nine and the pin positions made things difficult.

Bangpra is difficult when the green are fast, they were quite reasonable when I played there last week.

Avoid Eastern Star, the greens are a disgrace.

Mountain shadow is tight and has sloping greens. I used my 5 wood off the tee to try and keep me on the fairway..

All good fun everywhere.

It would be handy to know what handicaps these posters are, as a point of reference.

May be more of a relevant assessment on Par 3s at Emerald, if in the words of 1 BM, the poster "can play". 

"On the back nine, the first one, next to the water on the left. My tee shot faded short and right, down in the shit."  Sounds more like BogeyPro hit a poor shot, (as we all do on occasions).

The par 3s at Emerald are challenging sure, but as a collective group I don't think the toughest, try Treasure Hill #2, #13, & #17 will certainly give you enough challenges to carry the short #6, which is no snack anyway for a 130 yard hole.

Oh, I'm a 17-18 handicap.  Almost all the time, I am trying to save bogey.  Perhaps I should change my name to Chasing Par instead.

I play with Travelers Rest club most of the time, of which there are a handful of single digit handicappers.  But they get beat up at the Emerald too.  

Oh, I'm a 17-18 handicap.  Almost all the time, I am trying to save bogey.  Perhaps I should change my name to Chasing Par instead.

I play with Travelers Rest club most of the time, of which there are a handful of single digit handicappers.  But they get beat up at the Emerald too.  

Thanks for your candidness, & that you are allowed at least 1 poor shot per hole. 

Emerald is a relatively short course, with the longest Par 3 at about 160 yds (from White) hardly constitutes the toughest collectively, not to say they are easy.

There is one par 3 I hate there (4th ?). It is an elevated green and if you don't hit it and hold the green, it can be costly. Don't like the grass there either, same as Thai Navy. 

Thanks for your candidness, & that you are allowed at least 1 poor shot per hole. 

Emerald is a relatively short course, with the longest Par 3 at about 160 yds (from White) hardly constitutes the toughest collectively, not to say they are easy.

There is one par 3 I hate there (4th ?). It is an elevated green and if you don't hit it and hold the green, it can be costly. Don't like the grass there either, same as Thai Navy. 

# 5 !  Like I said, not easy, but most play from Whites at only 140 - 160 yards depending on where they put markers.  PLUS it is rated 6, so most get a shot, many get 2 !!

We were off whites and they were so far back I could not see the flag as it was hidden by trees. I'm poor with a long iron off the tee for some reason, ended up with a 7 in a medal comp, only get one shot. Emerald is a nice layout with interesting holes.

# 5 !  Like I said, not easy, but most play from Whites at only 140 - 160 yards depending on where they put markers.  PLUS it is rated 6, so most get a shot, many get 2 !!

• 2 weeks later...

Mountain Shadow can be a good course.  problem is condition.  Sometimes not so good.  ANother problem (not the courses fault) is getting home in the late afternoon thru traffic can be a bitch.  

And many players who do not hit the ball straight find the course too difficult.  There are a lot of narrow fairways and sometimes just hitting the fairway doesn't guarantee you have a shot to the green.  If you aren't on form it is a long day.  But fair enough golf can be like that.

Still I agree when the course is in good shape it is a very good one.  I know I rarely if ever shoot my handicap but that's OK as few do.  And for reference I am currently a 6.1.  

I also prefer several other courses to Mountain Shadow.

Plantation is a great layout and always in good shape.  Yes, for the better player it is our advantage as the forward tees most societies play put us in position to hit over a lot of the trouble and make #1 rated holes a driver and wedge.  And on that course if you can attack the greens with the wedge huge advantage due to the required carries over bunkers and hard to hold greens.  Price is too high though.

Old SIam is great.  Off the back tees all a player can handle.  BTW, the ladies tour actually play an easier layout on it than most mens societies do from the whites.  I don't see why as they are capable of a tougher challenge.  

Yardage wise the LPGA plays the same length as the white t. Ma bye 100 yds difference depending on the weather. If the course is wet they will shorten it up. The set up is all the tours nothing to do with SCC. I believe they should bring the white t into play on 8 & 15 but saying that they go off the blues on 2 which turns the easiest hole on the course into a fucking monster.

Still good to watch & a great golf course .

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dorsey, how's things? These courses aren't too bad when your keeping your drives in the fairways. LOL Guess who? :GoldenSmile1:

<p>

I highlighted the par 3s at Emerald, due to lack of bail out areas, if you miss the greens, you are generally in the shit. I agree Treasure Hills par 3s are difficult hole 2 particually.

Handicap 11 and played all the courses in the area.

Archived