IGNORED

What is the most difficult golf course to play around Pattaya

globalexperiences

Horses for courses? and varies greatly depending upon how gast the greens are?.

St Andrews used to be the most difficult but now one of the easiest for low-mid handicapper since they cut back the rough where you had a lost ball before you now get a nice lie in the rough.

Bangpra still challenging and the Pro's have difficulties there when playing Asia tour events.

Mountain Shadow is short but positioning your tee shot and accurate irons are required especially if the greens are fast. Played a Medal there once with 60+ golfers and nett 78 won? (Greens were 12 on the stimp?).

Bhurapa will be tough right now as they normally tighten up the fairways and let the rough grow for Pro Tournaments I think they have a Tournament this week or last week so now would be the time to see how you handle hitting out of the Bermuda rough?

Wangjuntra is like a fantasy course you used to see in the golf magazines with rocks, bunkers and even water hazards in the middle of gigantic greens. (Worth a vist but I would not recommend medal play there?)

One course which is pretty easy of the white tees but a completely different animal off the tips is Green Valley. Most of the other courses in the area just add length off the tips but at Green Valley there are a lot of different angles from tips which makes it seem like a different course.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice read this thread with a couple of courses mentioned that I haven't had the pleasure of being soul destroyed at

I will add to the weight of mountain shadow being the toughest I have played

It is very very well designed with punishment being dealt out on every hole on the course, but it is designed with a very good quality risk v reward layout

If you are prepared to take the place on you will be given plenty of opportunity to score, but it makes sure that if you go to the well once to often it is going to punish you badly

The greens arnt to the standard of some other courses in the area but are way more challenging, double tiered with front and back sloping different ways catches a lot of golfers out

And its sapping heat at the bottom of that mountain with little relief

I find a lot of similarity in courses around and Mountain Shadow is clearly cut from a different mould

• 1 month later...

Played Waterside 3 weeks ago with a 30 knot wind. Very difficult but made for a fun day trying to hit shots that  you don't usually have to around there.

• 2 weeks later...

Never did well at Siam Plantation when playing of the back Tees. Greens were tough as it was just after an event.....

"I like my Dessert first" :GrinNod1: :GrinNod1:

• 1 month later...

St.andrews,plantation,old.

Agree with lynott, these three

For me, Pattana.

Tough enough at the best of times but get there on a windy day and it's a beast. Plenty long off the tips and, as the caddies like to point out "too much water".

For me, Pattana.

Tough enough at the best of times but get there on a windy day and it's a beast. Plenty long off the tips and, as the caddies like to point out "too much water".

Agreed, that first hole par 4 with water on BOTH sides and that elevated green, yikes!  

I love it though, especially the clubhouse, you could get lost just in the men's locker room, it is so palatial.

Agreed, that first hole par 4 with water on BOTH sides and that elevated green, yikes!  

I love it though, especially the clubhouse, you could get lost just in the men's locker room, it is so palatial.

Regardless of the course, there are two things that make any golf experience in Thailand pleasant:

1: I'm not playing for rent money so no point being too serious

2: The beer is guaranteed to be cold at the 19th

Regardless of the course, there are two things that make any golf experience in Thailand pleasant:

1: I'm not playing for rent money so no point being too serious

2: The beer is guaranteed to be cold at the 19th

At the end of the day THIS is what people should remember when they play golf. It's about having FUN.

I play with all sorts.  Scratch, high handicappers, young, old, men, women.  I don't care about any of that so long as they are having fun (not throwing clubs and bitching) and they have the common courtesy to just stand still for the 15-20 seconds of my pre-shot through ball strike.  After that it's all about fun and nothing more.  Wish everyone could remember that.

Proper on-course etiquette is quite simple. Extend your playing partners the same courtesies you would like them to extend you, play a provisional if you think you first ball is in trouble and rake the bunkers.

Other than that, hit the ball, find it, hit it again and if you take a drop - not nearer the hole.

Anybody looking for an example of etiquette and sportsmanship, look to young Spieth in the masters yesterday and the thumbs-up he gave after the miraculous par-saving pitch Justin played.

Love a challenge and want to know what is the most difficult course round Pattaya?

Most of the agogo's have at least 18holes

And some of them holes are indeed a challenge ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Shoot. None of the par 3s there are easy. Even the short one if the wind is blowing. Don't go long as that is death. Right is death. Left is comatose. Short you can survive from if you hit the fringe.

I think the par 3s on Emerald are the toughest combined par 3s in Thailand. Great track. Sadly, it is not always in the best shape.

Haha that's funny, I was thinking that short par three on the back has sank some of my good stable ford scores coming in....the thing with Emerald is that if you can hit it straight off the tee that day, and have a a decent day putting you should be dancing around your capp at the end. There are enough short par 4s to take advantage of from the whites...the key is not to get too greedy if your a long hitter. I'm one of those who has learned to love the Emerald over the years! That #16 par 5 on the back I believe, with the massive tree in the middle of the fairway we all aim at....one of my top par 5s in the kingdom I look forward on playing. And I agree that treasure hill is super tuff and also I think Eastern star is a bitch to get around in. Buraphra and Greenwood I absolutely get the most out my game for some reason... I score really well on those courses ad am I sure some others do as well.

For an occasional hacker like me i found Silky Oaks terrifying with what seemed like more water than grass .

Mountain Shadow is a lovely walk but the greens were so fast it was a nonsense ,   If you were above the hole ,  the putt was either in the cup or off the green again . 

Bangpra is my favourite , maybe because the Caddies are top drawer .

Mikeyboy

Treasure Hill is the most difficult, a design i don't like plus endless crab grass.

A chunk of the difficulty on these courses can be put down to quality of grass and soil, some poor and too sandy in places.

Treasure Hill probably has the hardest first 2 holes. First hole a par 5, people scoring 6,7,8 is common. Then the second hole 200+ yard par 3 with around 180 carry. Lots of 4,5s on that hole.

I've played a lot of courses around the Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong area both from the white and blues tees and based on my personal score, I would have to say that the "Siam Old Course" and "St Andrews 2000" played from the blues was the most difficult for me. Maybe it was wind or other factors on those particular days but those two courses eat my lunch. At the time I played those courses I believe my handicap was around a 9 at the time, now I play off of a 7. Nevertheless, the main thing is being out on the course and having fun your friends.

Aloha.

Kalani

Kalani

Being out on the course and having fun with your friends...... That's how I play golf...!

Aloha.

IME, both Pattavia and Bangpahra are difficult...the greens are usually very fast.

IME, both Pattavia and Bangpahra are difficult...the greens are usually very fast.

Banphra used to have the fastest greens in Pattaya.  Scary fast with those undulations.  Sadly it is in a poor state with broadleaf grass encroaching on much of the course and greens that are of lesser quality than years back.  it is a truly excellent layout but after Wednesday I've decided not to return there again with all the better courses around.  

Banphra used to have the fastest greens in Pattaya.  Scary fast with those undulations.  Sadly it is in a poor state with broadleaf grass encroaching on much of the course and greens that are of lesser quality than years back.  it is a truly excellent layout but after Wednesday I've decided not to return there again with all the better courses around.  

Thanks for the useful feedback mate.

I'm going to be really selective on the courses i play this year. Out this trip are Treasure Hill, Eastern Star, Emerald, and now Bangphra based on the condition mentioned.

For an occasional hacker like me i found Silky Oaks terrifying with what seemed like more water than grass .

Mountain Shadow is a lovely walk but the greens were so fast it was a nonsense ,   If you were above the hole ,  the putt was either in the cup or off the green again . 

Bangpra is my favourite , maybe because the Caddies are top drawer .

Mikeyboy

"Mountain Shadow is a lovely walk but the greens were so fast it was a nonsense ,   If you were above the hole ,  the putt was either in the cup or off the green again "

Mikey...are you sure you're not confusing Mountain Shadow with Bangpra?...my golf notes are saying don't be long on the Bangpra greens...meaning anything from the back is downhill to the hole. I thought Mountain Shadow greens were much flatter....anyone else have some comments?. 

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

"Mountain Shadow is a lovely walk but the greens were so fast it was a nonsense , If you were above the hole , the putt was either in the cup or off the green again "

Mikey...are you sure you're not confusing Mountain Shadow with Bangpra?...my golf notes are saying don't be long on the Bangpra greens...meaning anything from the back is downhill to the hole. I thought Mountain Shadow greens were much flatter....anyone else have some comments?.

Bangpra yes you need to be below the hole, if pins are at the front it's even better to be short of the green. Above the hole you are dead.

"Mountain Shadow is a lovely walk but the greens were so fast it was a nonsense ,   If you were above the hole ,  the putt was either in the cup or off the green again "

Hi Mate

Only played Mountain Shadow the once , 2 or 3 years ago and on that day the greens were like a marble on glass .  Didn't bother putting on the the last few holes .

Bangphra ,  i have played 3 or 4 times and although undulating and fairly quick , i found i had a chance with the putts .

As i say , not a big deal for me as i'm very much a social golfer .

Another course i really enjoyed was Phoenix , but i hear its really expensive now ?

Mikeyboy

Hi Mate

Only played Mountain Shadow the once , 2 or 3 years ago and on that day the greens were like a marble on glass .  Didn't bother putting on the the last few holes .

Bangphra ,  i have played 3 or 4 times and although undulating and fairly quick , i found i had a chance with the putts .

As i say , not a big deal for me as i'm very much a social golfer .

Another course i really enjoyed was Phoenix , but i hear its really expensive now ?

Mikeyboy

Phoenix is cheap this time of the year......last March the Pattaya sports club price was 2950 all up (golf+cart+caddie)

We played in August on a Tuesday and it was 1300 all up because they were offering a free cart on Tuesday.

Not sure when the prices will start to go up again for high season but I would suspect November.

Course is in top condition

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Archived