Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Edward Sweeney Appreciation Thread

Captain Cockblock

30 minutes ago, Kelly2 said:

I can't help but like Steady Eddie. Seems like a nice bloke.

Like a lot of people the lockdowns seems to have had an adverse affect in his mental faculties. The disaster that was the near hour long video when he returned to Thailand was hard viewing. For a retirement visa he really is better off letting the pro's handle it. But yes, seems a nice guy underneath it all.

• 4 months later...

So Steady Eddie has left England for good. As usual he succeeds in making a long trip even longer. He has been off the beer for a while but sinks a few overpriced beers before leaving Blighty. China airlines seats don't get the Steady Eddy seal of approval but do come in at the right price. After 30 hours of travel Eddy still keeps a firm hold on his wallet and refuses to splash for a taxi to Pattaya even though his eyes are barely staying open. He ends up in a hotel but I I'm sure he'll be budget condo hunting shortly. Good luck to Eddy, he drones on a bit but he seems one of the more genuine youtubers.

Have met and chatted with Eddie many times over the years in Pattaya,always pleasant and friendly to have a chat 

• Like 2

On 04/01/2024 at 11:17, dontpanic said:

So Steady Eddie has left England for good. As usual he succeeds in making a long trip even longer. He has been off the beer for a while but sinks a few overpriced beers before leaving Blighty. China airlines seats don't get the Steady Eddy seal of approval but do come in at the right price. After 30 hours of travel Eddy still keeps a firm hold on his wallet and refuses to splash for a taxi to Pattaya even though his eyes are barely staying open. He ends up in a hotel but I I'm sure he'll be budget condo hunting shortly. Good luck to Eddy, he drones on a bit but he seems one of the more genuine youtubers.

Good bloke Eddy.  Used to watch his videos religiously.  He seemed to be on a real Debbie downer when he last returned from Thailand.  The familiar it is not what it used to be malarky.  He then went cold Turkey on the boos but has now come up with a plan to drink in moderation.  How realistic that is living in adult Disneyland we will find out

That being said the move makes perfect sense for him.  At 61, retired with no attachments in the UK and seemingly a solid retirement income why not make a permanent move whilst he still has a little lead left in his pencil.  I am early 40’s and I am currently of the view that I will stay in England but spend a couple of months a year in Thailand to break up the winter.  Making the decision to go all in is pretty brave.

will he ever come back to the UK? There is always a lot of negativity and bitterness towards western countries in these vlogs.  The test will come if/when his health deteriorates and he gets let down by the small print in his Thai health insurance. Good luck to him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ed is in Ayutthaya visiting the temples at the moment. He only drinks bir during the day now and has cut out night time drinking 🤷

Eddie should store his big suitcase away and travel lighter.

Edited by Captain Cockblock

10 hours ago, Captain Cockblock said:

Ed is in Ayutthaya visiting the temples at the moment. He only drinks bir during the day now and has cut out night time drinking 🤷

Eddie should store his big suitcase away and travel lighter.

The journey to get there was another disaster as was his visa extension, some car crash vlogging.

I am not sure if Eddy has mild autism or is just being cheap. He could have easily got a taxi for about 2500 baht or got a van direct but chose to do the cheap and very long way on the buses. On some of these epic journeys he makes mistakes that are easily checked before and he seems one of of these guys that will do a ten hour layover to save 20 quid on a flight.

Maybe he is still in the lonely planet mode of travelling or just thinks it will be alright on the night.

Here's another classic.

Renew your visa steady Eddy style.

33 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

The journey to get there was another disaster as was his visa extension, some car crash vlogging.

I saw that one, he went ape shit giving out to the camera, the old expats in the background passing by were wondering what was going on 🤣 He then went for a few birs and a bit of love in the afternoon and became a different man. Little Eddy performed well 😂

Little Eddy does the biz

I have mixed feelings about the guy.  Sometimes he's ok and sometimes he's a cranky old man yelling at clouds.  Like the recent video where he went on a rant about renewing his visa.  A lot of his complaints seemed to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Also one of his most recent videos complaining about travelling on the bus and how he's getting too old for that.  Maybe he should reconsider his career as a travel vlogger if he no longer likes travelling.  

I am almost afraid to watch this 555.

• Thanks 1

Ed Sweeney videos have a spinal tap, the office and many more mockuntries feel about them. You know before you click the uncool thumbnail that this man is different to his peers in the Thai Farang genre of YouTubers. It’s the mere uncertainty of which Eddy will turn up, in itself is where the real bliss lurks. Do you get a disgruntled and raged Ed, or a more mindful childlike soul who can’t wait for his gravy to arrive at the table followed by a good portion of bread and butter pudding (great stuff)

Eddy is not afraid to be aloof from the crowd and that’s where his real magic begins, he is a social sponge very observant picking up information that more glitzy vloggers would never stoop to. Eddy’s quirky personality and the feeling that his combustible change of moods are always just around the corner, compensates for his bad editing and poorer image quality to his videos than his contemporaries.

As I wrote before a lot of working class older gents some see a little bit of themselves in Ed, (the honest ones) the other too cool for school vloggers scratch their head knowing that Eddy gets more clicks. If they were more truthful and less money hungry, they too could have my admiration. Eddy gets more clicks being Eddy where others have to turn on the charm offensive or have a prop like a Thai girlfriend to fill the shallow void.

As someone mentioned earlier Ed doesn’t know how funny he is, and that’s a good thing, it keeps his ego at bay. It took me a while to grasp his humour and idiosyncrasies and I’m so glad I gave his Channel a chance. He’s pure box office.

For an allegedly seasoned traveler he seems to make a lot of mistakes. Also the commentary seems to be repeated multiple times to get the video up to the required length for his aspirations for the YouTube algorithm.

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

19 hours ago, paulpatts said:

He is a wanker!!!

Many Thai based youtubers resemble that remark, Eddy is not one of them.

• Like 3

Will someone please tell him that it is Jomtien, not Jomtiem.

It's soi 5, not soi 4.

Can't the daft sod get anything right?

I do feel sorry for him. He himself has become the content rather than what he wants to show and it does not look good. His friends should have a word with him. 

Eddie is back and it is classic Eddie.

All those options out of Heathrow to get you to BKK nice and quickly and then jump into a cab for 1200 baht down highway 7 to Patts? Nah, China Air + the Airport bus.  Then we have the hotel out in East Patts, a dingy looking dump but they did have a few statues pissing into the pool which got him excited.  The daily live streams consisted of Eddie wandering small roads popping into the only nearby business, a mom and pop shop for his beers.  He will down 2 large leos in 30 minutes whilst repeating that he doesn't drink a lot anymore.  He keeps claiming he is too old to travel but books the most difficult journeys possible.  He repeatedly gets a bad deal/overpays before claiming it to be bloody good value, but then rants at paying a few hundred here and there to make his life easier. 

But Eddie seems like a decent bloke and the above is not a dig.  I watch a lot of videos and enjoy them but nobody on earth would take him seriously as a travel blogger and Eddie must surely know that.  People are tuning in because he is a bit of a character.  Maybe some are laughing at him but I think many just enjoy listening to him ramble on and seeing what he is up to.  He can be witty and interesting on a number of topics (just not travel or politics) and I'd enjoy a beer with him I reckon.

He seems to be attracting a lot more trolls now, you can see him getting more and more irritated lately which will only feed them and the Thai youtube "genre" is pretty brutal which doesn't suit Eddie as he seems to be a genuinely nice normal fella and he does not take criticism well.

I think the whole "retirement" thing isn't happening though, people plan these things and it's clear Eddie hasn't as he drifts aimlessly around Asia shouting yabadabadoo to the camera 

Edited by robhardwire

I’ve yet to see anyone trolling him. And if they did I don’t think he’d get it. 

@robhardwire  

Very good and funny observations in your post. I don’t think it’s actually sunk in with Eddy that he is retiring and the travelling around is keeping his mind busy. I thought he should be now looking at some kind of base or apparment to leave his large bag in, instead of lumping it around with him. 

I ran into Eddie in Udon we had a long chat and drink in Full throttle bar.  I dislike most all vloggers but his i watch and like as he travels all of Thailand and like myself mostly over land trains bus Ect. By following him i get ideas of where to go next. He does the vlogs himself and just got to 15 million views. He is ok in my book 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

In Eddy's latest outing in Udon Thani, he teams up with his mate Bobby also a scouser and they tour the city and go for Sunday lunch, they sink a few bevvies of course. Eddy’s hotel is called ‘2feel bed station’ and entering the building he comments “it’s got a pleasant facade”

For anyone watching his videos for years, in his bedroom reviews, he mostly uses the same eddyisoms, such as spacious and very very efficient, capped off by, it’s not exactly the Ritz as a justification for why he picked the room in the first place. I think Eddy said on a livestream, that he swapped hotels because the room didn’t have a kettle 😃

Yes Eddy's hotel reviews deserve their own channel. That all important kettle which he could buy in Mr diy for 500 baht and bring with him 555.

I din't think I ever thought of a hotel room as efficient but it has to be the right price for steady Eddy. 

I think the channel will be renamed Steady Eddy's travels on the cheap.