Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Shopping, shopping, shopping to turn up an ex-pat kitchen

Back to my search for a slow cooker/steamer/pressure cooker.
I think I have found the one on Lazada that I am going to go with. It is a little pricey at close to 14,000, but I really like the stats on it (6 L) as well as the pic of the LED display.

I've been looking to buy one of these also. They get great reviews, and I know a few friends that have them.

But here in the US Amazon sells it for $150. or about 4700 THB. Anybody know why it would cost nearly 3 times as much in Thailand vs. the USA?

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Ultra-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B06Y1MP2PY

1 hour ago, vivid2 said:

I've been looking to buy one of these also. They get great reviews, and I know a few friends that have them.

But here in the US Amazon sells it for $150. or about 4700 THB. Anybody know why it would cost nearly 3 times as much in Thailand vs. the USA?

These appliances are great, Makes meal preparation easy. My thoughts on why they are more expensive here. I feel the demand is less due to the lower income of the majority of the population so price is high, making  it a premium product, also have to consider 220 volts, taxes, and shipping costs. I may be totally incorrect in my thinking. Costs are also very expensive for the Philips Air fryer , and the Vitamix blender. I had to think twice about the purchases but I wanted 220 volts. I don’t want to use power converters.

You spent hundreds of dollars on an piece of kitchen equipment that lasted a few months and now you want another? I'm confused.

1 hour ago, expatdude said:

You spent hundreds of dollars on an piece of kitchen equipment that lasted a few months and now you want another? I'm confused.

I think you misunderstood him like I did. I think his original purchase was a copy. The costs of these appliances are very expensive, I don’t fault him. No matter how costly these items are ,it’s way cheaper than gf or wife. Hehe

13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

First batch looks good. I am guessing the second batch is a different flavor?

Same batch, flash on first picture, no flash on second. 

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Any place in or around Pattaya selling minced lamb?

I have interest too. I want to prepare lamb burgers. Thank you 

I am seeking recommendations for sous vide cooker and accompanying plastic bags. Any recommendations? Is Lazada ok?

20 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Back to my search for a slow cooker/steamer/pressure cooker.

I think I have found the one on Lazada that I am going to go with. It is a little pricey at close to 14,000, but I really like the stats on it (6 L) as well as the pic of the LED display.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i1394596364-s3563380906.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.3fb26108cLGNtG&urlFlag=true

I am hesitating in that I do not use this particular piece of equipment all that often. I have a limited number of slow cooker recipes. On the other hand, I would like to get back to making my own chicken stock, which I use frequently. The stuff available in the stores is too salty. The pressure cooker setting on this model would be perfect for that purpose.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-soup-la-pressure-reloaded-8750044

120V /60z not a problem?

14 hours ago, vivid2 said:

I have the Crock Pot Express CR051. Basically bought this because the Instant Pot was 110V and difficult to get a hold at here but I never regretted this purchase as I use it all the time and after getting the hang of it results are great. Here in the Netherlands it was about 120 euro what comes down to  about 4400 baht.

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/820435/crockpot-express-pot-cr051.html

Edited by Abracadabra

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

14 hours ago, expatdude said:

The first one was low end. It went to shit in a hurry and was difficult to use. Some of that was my fault. The ones that I am looking at now are much higher end and include recent improvements, such a much better LED display.

I would like to get this piece of equipment back into my arsenal for occasional slow cooker recipes, steamed vegetables, and a pressure cooker ability.

2 hours ago, tko said:

120V /60z not a problem?

hmm - good point. I need to look at this some more.

This one is about the same price and since they are giving me a UK Cookbook with it, I assume that it is 220.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

they are giving me a UK Cookbook with it, 

Got to be better than a US one :hello10:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

38 minutes ago, davidge said:

Got to be better than a US one :hello10:

When you get out here, I will gift it to you.

Just now, ChiFlyer said:

When you get out here, I will gift it to you.

2025?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

hmm - good point. I need to look at this some more.

This one is about the same price and since they are giving me a UK Cookbook with it, I assume that it is 220.

oops - left out the link.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i451514027-s834328632.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.7b8e610823DWEs&urlFlag=true

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

2025?

At this point - nobody eff'n knows.

You can get a slow cooker for less than 1000 baht for a decent one. Pressure cooker maybe 1500. I'm guessing you're aware of this but my natural frugality forces me to point it out again. :D

I came across this place (desertcart) while cruising the net looking for possibilities for Mexican Peppers.

https://thailand.desertcart.com/

Make no mistake, they are expensive. On the bright side they have an amazingly deep inventory. I put in a small order for some ancho peppers and also a can of chipotles in adobo sauce. Total price was a little over 1000 THB. I would probably pay less than $5 USD for this in the US, but I am not in the US and I would really like to have a little of both items.

This is not something that I would use very often due to the cost, but I might use them from time to time as a last resort.

They claim that I should have my items in 2 weeks or less. Let's see how that goes and if they can navigate through customs better than other options.

More later

It's time for the weekend cooking report.

Went with Shrimp Po Boys with a side of Sweet Potato Fries. Here is the recipe for the Po Boys that was followed pretty closely.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/cajun-shrimp-po-boys-1961112

The Sweet Potato Fries were the frozen ones from Alexia. This is the brand that I used to purchase in the US and I was surprised to see that Villa Market carries them. I cooked them in the air fryer at 180 C for about 14 minutes giving them a light spray of oil before putting them in and of course shaking the basket about half way thru. They turned out well.

https://www.alexiafoods.com/

The hoagies at Makro were a little small for this, but you go with what you have available. I will probably buy the hoagies at Villa Market next time as they have some larger ones.

Things turned out pretty well for the Po Boys and the GF gave me high marks on this one, except for the fries as she just does not like potatoes very much. I like to serve the components on the table and let people assemble their own sandwiches. Everybody likes things a little different.

Here is a pic of the components.

1150421642_Home-ShrimpPoBoysA.thumb.jpg.3d220f46e2b86e449a6ed5a45d366659.jpg

Here is a pic of the GF's sandwich. Notice the scant number of fries. :)She added a few home made pickled jalapenos.

1528536370_Home-ShrimpPoBoysB.thumb.JPG.98404d3b7bebf5c8ccc11ed13c076a3e.JPG

• Like 2

This may be of interest to some of the Americans. In the states crushed red pepper flakes are a popular spice and condiment. These in general are not available in Thailand and one has to substitute crushed red pepper powder, reducing the amount by at least 50%.

I was browsing through the spice section in Villa Market the other day and they did have some crushed red pepper flakes. It is not the McCormick brand. They are near the end of the spice aisle getting close to the butcher shop.

This may be of interest to some of the Americans. In the states crushed red pepper flakes are a popular spice and condiment. These in general are not available in Thailand and one has to substitute crushed red pepper powder, reducing the amount by at least 50%.
I was browsing through the spice section in Villa Market the other day and they did have some crushed red pepper flakes. It is not the McCormick brand. They are near the end of the spice aisle getting close to the butcher shop.

Thanks! Always looking for them for pizza and stews. Will check harder next time I'm in Villa.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

My lady puts something that looks like the below pic on the American omelette she makes for me every morning. Is that different from the crushed red pepper flakes you get from the States? 
Amazon.com : JHC Extra Hot Crushed Thai Chili Pepper, Spicy Pepper Flakes,  7 Ounce / 200gram, Product of Thailand : Grocery & Gourmet Food

She doesn't buy the above, but instead makes her own. Here's a how to video she sent me for posting here.

My lady puts something that looks like the below pic on the American omelette she makes for me every morning. Is that different from the crushed red pepper flakes you get from the States? 
91HFEt6IbOL._SL1500_.jpg
She doesn't buy the above, but instead makes her own. Here's a how to video she sent me for posting here.

That photo looks the same, but Thai chili's taste is quite different than the cayenne/anchor mix found in the West. That photo actually looks more like the western variety, but I'd have to taste it. The western variety isn't that spicy either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Amazon.com : JHC Extra Hot Crushed Thai Chili Pepper, Spicy Pepper Flakes,  7 Ounce / 200gram, Product of Thailand : Grocery & Gourmet Food

looks close, but like frantick said I would have to taste it.

Seems like you will have to have us over for breakfast in order to prove the point.  :)

Edited by ChiFlyer