IGNORED

Shopping, shopping, shopping to turn up an ex-pat kitchen

Great weather today, so an early New Year's dinner out on the Patio.  Roast pork tenderloin, Bavarian sauerkraut, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy.

NewYear2021.jpg

For the pork roast I did the "Scarborough fair" herb mix plus salt, black pepper, and garlic - then added olive oil and red wine vinegar to set up a 24 hour marinade.  Very tender and infused with flavor.  Pan seared before roasting.

Bavarian sauerkraut according to my Austro-Hungarian empire born grandmother is shaved streaky bacon (shaved off a frozen block of sliced bacon is easiest), diced red apple, and a jar of store bought white sauerkraut.  Cook the bacon first, but not crispy.

• Like 2

On 09/12/2020 at 08:12, striderman said:

a new potential souce of falang food products opened yesterday. Nadia's Expat Essentials. there is a facebook page which i cannot access cos ii don't do FB.

it's between 3rd road and nirun condo the soi next to the one with full love inn. planning on taking a look a bit later. it is deffo in a more convenient location (at least for me) than a mission to siamsbury's

@Footymadstreams created a topic with some good pics and prices of what's on sale at Nadia's.

I recently picked up some dry peppers (Ancho and New Mexico) from the US. I have a standing recipe that I like to make called New Mexico Rubbed Steak.

New Mexico Rubbed Steak.pdf

This is a sirloin steak recipe with Mexican seasonings. I got the last available sirloin at Villa Market and was not all that happy with it. It was sliced a little too thin. I may try Makro next time. It was tasty.

IMG_3119.thumb.jpg.40ad190350ecb7ed17631e26a2435364.jpg

IMG_3120.thumb.jpg.307ccb60c22cf3507be7889fa6c5d18a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have an ample supply of Mexican peppers I am getting around to making a few of the more Latin dishes that I enjoy. Last night it was Black Beans and Rice. I use the following recipe as a base.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/black-beans-and-rice-recipe-1938568

I modify this recipe in several ways.

• I cut the ingredients by half as otherwise it is way too much food.
  • I do not have fresh Poblanos, so I use canned ones.
  • I add a Chipotle pepper and a TBSP of the Adobo sauce the Chipotle was canned with.
  • I add 1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper. Obviously I am working to increase the heat.
  • Since I am using Thai Bay leaves, I only use one as they are much larger than the US varieties.

All in all this turned out really well and the GF really liked it.

In the Pot

607585796_BlackBeansandRice-A.thumb.jpg.da34d2de369c0ac1031feee0519d202e.jpg

In a bowl

2007818343_BlackBeansandRice-B.thumb.jpg.5346ea66ee502eb17a1091e515f6302a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frantick said:

Source of canned poblanos?

They are imported via Desertcart. This is a very expensive way to go, but I use them for a few odds and ends that I can not find within Thailand. I tried purchasing via the net in the US and then forward shipping them via a mail service I use. Customs was a pain about it, especially since the pandemic began. For some reason the desertcart shipments go through without a hitch.

The Poblanos were actually a little disappointing in that they were a little bland. Other items (canned chipotles in adobo sauce, dried Ancho peppers, dried New Mexico peppers) that I have purchased via desertcart worked out very well.

Again this is a pricey alternative and because of that I seldom order through them, but once in a while .....

https://www.desertcart.co.th/

I have been making soups at home much more often this year. They are healthier than canned soups and good for not getting fatter. I use my Instant Pot to make homemade Chicken Broth and use that as a basis for my various soups.

I made Chicken Lemongrass Coconut Soup the other day and the GF was wow'd. I thought it was pretty good as well.

https://saramoulton.com/2012/01/lemongrass-coconut-chicken-soup/

2032881594_ChickenLemongrassCoconutSoup.thumb.jpg.db5484376432f5aca9469f3ae62e5c84.jpg

• Like 3

I made Chicken Mole Poblano tonight. The GF really liked it, as did I.

Chicken Mole Poblano.pdf

Some thoughts on how I did it.

• I did not have a dried Chipotle Pepper, so I substituted a canned one.
  • I also added a TBSP of the Adobo sauce from the canned Chipotle Pepper.
  • I used semisweet chocolate. Next time I will likely go with bittersweet.
  • I screwed up and left the skin on the chicken. The GF thought that was great. I did not, so next time I will be doing a split order with regard to the chicken skin. Personally I think it makes a lean dish fatty. On the other hand, give the people what they want.

A few pics.

Out of the oven

919262624_ChickenMolePoblano-A.thumb.jpg.6529319e0a465825c296eb082f7a9392.jpg

The sides of fried bananas and jasmine rice

38915499_ChickenMolePoblano-B.thumb.jpg.e3ee6772a162d1f17a171070e8112d06.jpg

Plated

1864526494_ChickenMolePoblano-C.thumb.jpg.fc22705bb337c3a8d6c824d3e3dfff42.jpg

• Like 3

Seared Lamb Loin Chops

I liked this dish when I was in the US. I have not seen Lamb Loin Chops available here in Thailand, so I decided to give it a try to butcher my own from a Lamb Rack. This video demonstrates how to do this. The separation of the Loin Chops occurs about 5 minutes in.

This is the first time I have ever done this and I will give myself a B+ primarily for effort. The rest of the meal was pretty straight forward and took about 30 minutes to reach the table.

I cut back the cooking time for the lamb loin chops to about 2.5 minutes per side, as my chops were thinner than what is shown in the recipe.

https://www.marthastewart.com/1097861/seared-lamb-loin-chops

I served sides of roasted tomatoes and air fried tater tots.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-cherry-tomatoes-recipe-1940316

A few pics

218971285_LambLoinChops-A.thumb.jpg.091b3ef117c1b0b5e28d3c9f55a1a7ac.jpg

94771874_LambLoinChops-B.thumb.jpg.80584a4b00555f3a931ef7169b696d35.jpg

Herb Roasted Cornish Hens

I liked making Cornish Hens a few times a year back in the US. I have not found them anywhere in the Pattaya area. I noticed frozen what are called "Baby Chickens" at Villa Market. I decided to try and prepare them as I would a Cornish Hen.

Here is the recipe

Herb Roasted Cornish Hens.pdf

The results were decent. I need to get to understand the broiler function on my oven better, as the browning effect was a little less than desired. The GF liked them.

Here is a pic.

1743543490_CornshHens.thumb.jpg.9dbdecaae8c1f7206bfda5e5c3effe0d.jpg

Beef Stroganoff

I remember liking this dish as a kid, but never got around to making it for myself. I decided to give it a try. It turned out well.

I used this recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/beef-stroganoff-recipe-2124411

A few notes:

• I discovered I was out of beef bullion a few hours before cooking time. I walked over to Tops and they did not have it available. I picked up some Suki bullion and it was probably better that the beef ones.
  • On a future try I will probably cut the sirloin a little bigger and get it out of the pan faster.

The GF really liked the end product and I thought it was good myself.

A few pics:

Nearing completion in the pan

1951828242_BeefStroganoff-B.thumb.jpg.ecd7a3f93cc4313e0f708e56c30aeecd.jpg

Plated

2002903231_BeefStroganoff-A.thumb.jpg.820d7c806d8475ad80fe61b6a574cd7a.jpg

Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich (Imitation) 

You are probably going to have to be an American to understand this one. There is a fast food chicken place in the US called Popeye's. Despite Popeye's refusing to release their transfat and cholesterol count metrics, I really like their product. I am in decent company as the late Anthony Bourdain was also a fan of the place.

A couple of years back they released a spicy chicken sandwich which people loved. One guy was stabbed in the state of MD for cutting in line to get one. I have been here in Thailand, since it was released but have been wanting to try one.

I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try.

Popeyes Chicken Sandwich.pdf 

The results were pretty decent. The GF, her sister, and myself all thought it was pretty good.

A few notes:

• Rather than cutting the chicken breast as described in the recipe, I cut it in half lengthwise and then butterfly the thicker end. I then lightly tap with a mallet under saran wrap all 6 pieces to the same thickness. This is the ATK method.
  • I did not see buttermilk available in my usual shopping venues. After doing an internet search I went with substituting a cup of milk and one TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar. This worked well.
  • Using a large pan with oil did not work all that well. The chicken was a little less spicy and crusty than I wanted. Next time I may go with deep frying.
  • I did not see Brioche Buns available at my usual shopping places. I ordered a loaf of Brioche from O'Delices and toasted slices of that. It worked very well. 

All in all though, the end result was quite tasty and I will do this again.

A pic

769474678_PopeyesChickenSandwich.thumb.jpg.93b776d174a45bfbc100ca71cab7be71.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

15 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Beef Stroganoff

To my taste; a couple of strips crispy bacon can lift that dish skyhigh

Just now, Kandinski said:

To my taste; a couple of strips crispy bacon can lift that dish skyhigh

I rendered 3 oz of panceta and then added 1/2 of the olive oil.

6 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I rendered 3 oz of panceta and then added 1/2 of the olive oil.

As much as I do love salt cure pork I'll still vote   Stroganoff (whole cream OFS) mashed potetoes and crispy strips of smoked crispy bacon as one of my # 1 dishes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to eat a little healthier as of late. By that I mean cutting back on my carb intake and increasing my veg and fruit Items. Game plan so far is to quit gaining weight. I seem to be doing a little better in that regard as of late. Next step will be to start taking 10 KG off.

In part I am approaching this by preparing salads and soups to cover a couple of days.

I made a Beetroot (Beets for my fellow Americans) Salad tonight that I thought was pretty good.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/roasted-beet-salad-with-oranges-and-creamy-goat-cheese-dressing-2109332

There were a few challenges in pulling this together here in Pattaya.

• Goat Cheese spreads are not available here in Pattaya like they are in the US. I did find a Greek Goat Cheese package at Makros. Although not as creamy as the US log version, it got the job done. I increased the heavy cream just a bit to compensate for the drier cheese.
  • Beetroots, although available at VM and Makro from time to time, are no guarantee for an on demand shopping expedition. They are usually available at the Rompho fruit and veggie market which is where I bought mine. Problem is, like with carrots, the Thais tend to grow them to full maturity where the younger smaller ones are much tastier. The larger beetroots call for a longer roasting time.

In any case the end product was pretty good and I will do it again. In particular I will point out that the dressing in the recipe was absolutely delicious and I would recommend it for use in any salad that called for a creamy citrus dressing.

A few pics.

The roasted beetroots coming out of the oven. Do yourself a favor and wear plastic gloves while you skin them on one of your lesser cutting boards.

2030966196_BeetSalad-A.thumb.jpg.0936565775e4d9a54726c61039640073.jpg

The salad - it was good, but the dressing stole the show.

1938610959_BeetSalad-B.thumb.jpg.13d75fae33ff78fa112ea85ac67860f4.jpg

• Like 3

Great effort mate.

image.png

Pork Tacos

I used to make this in the US a few times a year. A key ingredient is the frozen OJ concentrate. I had not seen this available in Thailand, but after making the beet salad a few days ago I got the idea that I could make my own OJ concentrate using the method described in the beet salad recipe. Basically, one squeezes a cup of fresh OJ, adds a tsp of sugar, and simmers that for 25-30 minutes. This yields 1/4 cup of OJ concentrate. That worked well in this recipe as well.

Pork Tacos.pdf

A few notes about the preparation in addition to the OJ concentrate.

• Pork Shoulder is often sold as Pork Butt in the US. I have no idea why. I have only seen it at Makros on Sukhumvit. It is in the far meat section. The Thais call it Pork Shoulder of all things.
  • I already had pickled red onions and pickled jalapenos on hand, so I did not make the habanero sauce in the recipe.
  • The shredding the beef with a potato masher described in the recipe does not work well for me. I instead cut it into 1/4 inch pieces with a boning knife and then smash that up a bit.
  • I served the tacos topped with pickled red onions, pickled jalapenos, and a touch of sour cream.

The tacos were delicious.

A few pics.

Coming out of the oven after being cut up.

1375630680_PorkTacos-A.thumb.jpg.519f398b8c05c307e818394425e29f29.jpg

Plated

882391494_PorkTacos-B.thumb.jpg.2501a67af8c844d6cf94501f9368f912.jpg

• Like 2

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

My mother's family was Eastern European immigrants to the US. I experienced a lot of Czech and nearby regions cuisine as a kid. For the most part I do not care for it very much now, as it tends to be heavy with regard to carbohydrates and fats. Still once in a while it is good to taste back.

I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try.

https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup

I will make again as it was quite good and relatively healthy. A few notes on the preparation.

• I make my own chicken stock, as the canned stuff in the stores in Pattaya is not very good and also loaded with salt.
  • Make sure to keep your paprika in the fridge as it will go bad rather quickly at room temperature. On a related note the same thing is true of sesame seed oil (not used in this recipe).
  • Excellent recipe in that it calls for 1/2 cup of white wine, which leaves the rest of the bottle for the cook. :)

The soup was very tasty and both the Thai GF and her sister very much enjoyed it as well.

A few pics.

Nearing completion in the pot

1515741620_HungarianMushroomSoup-A.thumb.jpg.a17bc15c500fdcec77a643236be5c067.jpg

A serving in a bowl

280159902_HungarianMushroomSoup-B.thumb.jpg.13086bd1a553c9833eb3dfa88ef7c6cb.jpg

• Like 2

next time you visit immigration jomtien you should check out this new place opened yesterday.

err just noticed your location shown is jomtien so this should be handy

1765200857_5mar011(Custom).JPG.ca4ddc2df74189a909482306e3202d21.JPG

hanuman statue with The Pantry in the background

664856955_5mar008(Custom).JPG.b48f16cc171b5944d55cdaf2bb382ecd.JPG

306658676_5mar010(Custom).JPG.a9224a4b780a8a8aaa8d04b47047f8eb.JPG

Edited by striderman
  • Like 3

Continuing with the eat a little healthier project I made a Moroccan Chicken and Sweet Potato Salad. I had made this dish several times before in the US. There were things I liked about it and some things I did not care for. I made several changes to the recipe in order to make it more to my tastes. The result was pretty good and the GF said so as well.

Moroccan Chicken and Sweet Potatoe Salad.pdf 

The changes I made were as follows:

• The cumin in the original recipe dominated everything else. I cut back on the cumin in several ways.
  • I eliminated the almonds and pumpkin seeds that were roasted in a cumin oil. I instead used pecans and did not roast these. This eliminated 1.5 tsp of cumin.
  • I reduced the amount of cumin in the cumin oil for the sweet potatoes from 1.5 tsp to 1 tsp. I replaced the cumin reduction with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. These are both traditional Moroccan spices.
  • I eliminated the coriander stems, but did use the leaves. The stems were not as fresh as I would have liked. The leaves were ok.
  • I did not care for the dressing in the original recipe again because the cumin dominated everything else. I used a different recipe for the dressing that I liked much better. A link for that recipe follows this list of changes.

https://wholenewmom.com/moroccan-vinaigrette/#wprm-recipe-container-57700 

The end result was pretty decent. A few pics follow.

The salad after being tossed.

409685267_MorrocanChickenandSweetPotatoSalad-A.thumb.jpg.3fb55f7126acafa3b086d926264c90cf.jpg

A serving of the salad

1601955959_MorrocanChickenandSweetPotatoSalad-B.thumb.jpg.57c05bbb1c56ad2b57a7a98ea9cdcefa.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some shopping recommendations once again.

I have noticed a couple of places on the net for Corned Beef (American Style). I will likely try one of these soon. Both delivery places are in Bangkok, so the delivery fee may be prohibitive. In any case:

https://passiondelivery.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=corned+beef

I know Passion charges a 500 delivery fee to Pattaya. I ordered a Beef Rib Roast from them for Xmas and the quality was very good.

https://britishop.com/product/corned-beef-aussie-style-tender-juicy-priced-by-weight/

I have never used these guys before.

VM does not seem to carry frozen pearl onions. Anybody seen these available?

VM also does not carry frozen puffed pastry. A couple of the condo foodies have told me that Makro does.

I have been disappointed with the fresh tomatoes in the grocery stores. They are not very tender or flavorful. One of the condo foodies told me that the tomatoes at Foodland on Pattaya Klang are pretty good. Comments?

A friend told me that the cherry tomatoes at friendship market on south Pattaya road are excellent.

Foodland is where I buy tomatoes.

Wonder if anyone grows their own here in Pattaya?

Edited by jimboh