IGNORED

Shopping, shopping, shopping to turn up an ex-pat kitchen

46 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

• An instant pot with about a 2L capacity. Does steaming and pressure cooking. Works well, but I would prefer a bigger capacity and expanded functionality as described in some of the other options above.

Oops. The Instant Pot can also be used as a slow cooker.

On 17/08/2020 at 05:11, jimboh said:

Parrot fish perhaps?

Thanks I will give it a look see. I was thinking that Grouper might work as well, although it is not quite firm enough IMO.

I found this.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/a-guide-to-buying-and-cooking-swordfish

Sounds like Tuna and/or Parrot Fish might be the best ways to try.

On 23/08/2020 at 12:51, ChiFlyer said:

I have used Amazon to ship to my Mail Forwarding address in the US. I then select which items that arrive at my US address to be forwarded to Thailand. Lots of problems with this approach:

• The Amazon domestic shipping prices are not cheap.
  • The international shipping costs are also not cheap.
  • Thai customs grabs a lot of items and can sit on them for over a month.
  • When/if the item is finally delivered you are also charged an import fee by Thailand.
  • Given the customs wait time factor alone, I would not even consider this approach for any perishable food.

I found a supplier of food items located in Thailand today that carries some interesting items.

Before I go on about their pluses, I should warn others that they need to put on their jai yen yen hat before looking through their web site. I accessed it via Firefox on Win-10 and the behavior at times went beyond odd. Buttons would go dead. I found that opening Messenger would reset the buttons.

The site is called Thai Artisan Foods

https://thaiartisanfoods.com/

I was drawn to them as they popped on a Google Search for file powder. In looking through the site, they had many other interesting items.

The advantage of going through these guys is there would be no international shipping charges and better yet no customs problems or Thai import fees.

They seem to be located in Phuket and claim that, after they receive payment, you should have your item in 3 days. Shipping cost was 0.45 THB.

I ordered one jar of File Powder for 225 THB. I will report back on how that goes.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 23/08/2020 at 11:09, davidge said:

Thanks.

Oh well, taken the plunge. Got the Ninja for £188.88 on Amazon. Reviews seem good. Delivering (free) tomorrow. 
Helps with space having one machine that will do several things. I use the slow cooker a lot and having the air fryer option will stop me having to use the oven for other things - chicken, lamb, beef etc. I’ll have to go back to steaming fish & veg as well which will be a nice option to have.

FCFEA1D8-C0BF-40D5-BDCD-E4C905425456.jpeg

Arrived yesterday. First impression is that it’s big and it’s heavy :P

Lengthwise the footprint is only slightly bigger than my slow cooker but, as it’s circular rather than oval, it is much wider. The main difference is the height - it is much taller. It has a hinged lid so it needs quite a bit of height under kitchen cabinets to use. I’ll need to move it on top of the cooker to use it, which is better anyway as the hood can then take the steam away. There are handles on either side to lift it, which is just as well as it weighs a fair bit.

You also need somewhere to store the extra bits. It has a second lid to use as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer etc and the wire racks to use as a grill or steamer that can’t be put inside the machine when the air fryer ‘bowl’ is there. 

Partial success using the air fryer to cook my steak & onions last night. I’ll get used to using it. Trying it as a slow cooker today - much bigger capacity to my old one.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Still experimenting with the Ninja.

Sirloin steak with mushrooms, onions & tomato using Air Fryer function. 20 minutes at 200C, without pre-heat, turned steak after 10 and again after 16 and it was well done just as I like it. Put tomato in after 10 minutes and that was just right as well. Mushrooms in from start which was too long. I’ll add them half way through next time. Found out last time that Onions don’t do too well but I sliced them more thinly and covered them with the steak and they were ok.

CF71A23E-D724-4F9F-8DB8-18A6305FD7EE.jpeg

Time for the weekend cooking report.

I made Sesame Chicken and it turned out really good. Both the GF and her sister gave me a big thumb's up on this one.

Here is the base recipe.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/sesame-ginger-chicken-2126061

Both the marinade and the sauce call for 2 TBSP of soy sauce. In both cases I reduced that to 1 TBSP and added 1 TBSP of fish sauce. I feel that this deepens the flavor. Other than that I followed the recipe.

Ready to eat.

1853752415_Home-SesameChickenA.thumb.jpg.c9048df61d10250528afe49b82bb0fbd.jpg

Plated.

510526645_Home-SesameChickenB.thumb.jpg.52ffe23d71db3eb6efec5127f1fb9d05.jpg

• Like 3

I thought it was time for some American Comfort food - Pot Roast over Egg Noodles.

Put in some cooking time today. This was a significant effort taking up about 4 hours. Oddly enough the GF, her sister, and their mutual BFF all said it was really good. I was especially surprised that the BFF liked it as she seldom cares for Farang food.

Obviously this one requires putting in some work and you need an oven or a very large air fryer or something to do this. Here is the recipe. I followed it exactly, except I did not have a chicken bullion cube. IMO not a big deal on the bullion cube.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/company-pot-roast-recipe-1946134

The recipe requires Chuck Roast, which can be a bit of a challenge to find in Pattaya. I bought a 3 KG one at Villa Market. I used half for the Pot Roast. I cut up the other half into two pieces and tossed them into the freezer for some other dishes that I have coming up in the menu batting order. The 3 KG Chuck Roast was not cheap at 2400, but I figure 3 main meals with plenty of leftovers made it ok.

The first 1.5 hours is where a lot of the work goes. One has to cut up all the veggies, prep and brown the roast, prep the additional liquids, and bring it all together in a dutch oven.

Here is a pic of the prep nearing completion in the dutch oven.

44450982_Home-PotRoastA-Stovetop.thumb.jpg.b127c3ccdd7bc94bbfe71399fae5f5dc.jpg

After that you leave it in the oven for about 2 hours and go watch a movie, setting your phone alarm for one hour, at which point you need to turn the oven temp down. Then go through the finishing steps, which take about 30 minutes.

Here is a pic of the sliced Pot Roast

1695805490_Home-PotRoastB-Sliced.thumb.jpg.cc223339db99b2685d2a2d679d3d7d82.jpg

A pic of the dishes ready to serve.

594767258_Home-PotRoastC-ServingDishes.thumb.jpg.10c16cd3e05de4b0556537765853e8c4.jpg

And a pic of a plated meal.

311272089_Home-PotRoastD-Plated.thumb.jpg.da09cff384e2002dd8a1e32eaed704e3.jpg

Plenty of leftovers for two dinners this week. The sauce was really good. I was just a little disappointed with the meat, as I thought it should have been a little more tender. I should have cut back on the oven time just a bit.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2

Just a heads up to BM's in Australia who may be interested in the Aldi Air Fryer. They have them on sale next Wednesday 9th September @ Aud $149.

Its the same one as I have, only previously said it was 10 Litres when in fact its 16 Litres. Also layout of controls etc are slightly different

WK37_PD_388x314_17e.jpg

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-9-september/wednesday-detail-wk37/ps/p/16l-multifunction-air-fryer/

These are very popular so if you want one I'd suggest you get there early.

Alternatively Aldi also have a 23 Litre one coming soon - bigger enough to cook a Pizza and heaps of other stuff.

Edited by Zeb

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

On 27/08/2020 at 18:11, davidge said:

Still experimenting with the Ninja.

Sirloin steak with mushrooms, onions & tomato using Air Fryer function. 20 minutes at 200C, without pre-heat, turned steak after 10 and again after 16 and it was well done just as I like it. Put tomato in after 10 minutes and that was just right as well. Mushrooms in from start which was too long. I’ll add them half way through next time. Found out last time that Onions don’t do too well but I sliced them more thinly and covered them with the steak and they were ok.

CF71A23E-D724-4F9F-8DB8-18A6305FD7EE.jpeg

One more (final?) update on Ninja. Used it as slow cooker today. Beef stew. Beef straight from freezer.  5 hours on high setting. Beef was very tender. Added marrowfat peas for last half hour.
ABE800F0-AEC8-4740-A157-DD95D83A8CFB.jpeg

• Like 3

Time for the weekend cooking report.

This recipe requires a little explanation with regard to how I use it as a base. It is entitled "Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps". The following points are relevant.

• I have made this recipe 20 times or more going back 5 years or more. I started making it as stated, but discovered that I did not care for the Lettuce Wrap approach and prefer serving it over a little rice.
  • The link for the recipe is from someone who blogged about using recipes from America's Test Kitchen. The original one from ATK is not available to me, so I reference this blogged version. That he is reviewing it without using Hoisen Sauce is close to criminal. It is the Hoisen Sauce that sets off the other spices.
  • As stated a food processor is required to grind the chicken. That is what I do, but I am sure that one could substitute purchased ground chicken.
  • I do my usual substitutions of reducing the Soy Sauce a little and replacing that with Fish Sauce. Also, once again I add a little Sambel Olek to the sauce.
  • Went to 3 places for water chestnuts and they were all out, so I increased the celery a little.
  • Villa Market did not have Shitake Mushrooms available, so I went with younger Portobellos. I actually prefer those for this recipe, but in general I like using Shitakes when they are available. Makro usually has those, as well as water chestnuts, but I figured what I was doing was more than good enough.  

https://myyearwithchris.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

I received high marks from the GF and her sister on this one. One again this is a stir fry over high heat, so have all your ingredients ready to go into the pan before you start cooking.

A few pics.

Ready to serve

1433031789_Home-ChineseChickenA.thumb.jpg.6c68c03ca1de52233b15a5f8253814ce.jpg

Plated

1018156211_Home-ChineseChickenB.thumb.jpg.93cdf8ab9eb8971819c05180b0c62248.jpg

If I do say so myself, and I do, it was really good. Despite the ingredient list sounding laborious, I brought this together in 90 minutes. And I buy bone-in chicken thighs and de-bone them myself.

• Like 3

As we’re on Chinese food...

one of my treats for many years has been Peking Chicken from my local Chinese Takeaway. Ginger, spring onion, chives, onion....delicious! There have been a few change of ownership over the last 40 years I’ve been using it but the dish has, basically, stayed the same. I’d pick one up on my way home after a Swans home game. 

I haven’t seen the dish in any other Chinese around here. Some do a dish that is called Peking Chicken but is bright red and horribly spicy.

Disaster struck in January. There was another change of ownership and they did the horrible version instead of the delicious one. :Anger:

So, today I tried to make it myself. I added peas and sliced tomato to get some veg into it but otherwise tried to stick more or less to a recipe I found online.
D51FE26A-E1CC-4E39-9DB4-03F48EC7F8A4.jpeg

I should have used cornflour rather than plain flour to coat the chicken and I didn’t use enough ginger, otherwise it wasn’t too bad. The recipe I found used sherry and soy sauce.

If anyone knows the dish and can give any tips or a better recipe then I’d be grateful.

• Like 3

Put in some major effort on Sunday. A couple of times a year I like to make Shrimp Gumbo. It is an effort (close to 4 hours), but one I consider to be worthwhile every so often. Doing so here in Thailand posed a few challenges, but I was able to adapt to what was available.

We had a few guests over for this one and all seemed pleased with their meals. Here is the recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe-1946875

Problem number one was the Andouille Sausage. I hear that it is often available at Central Festival, but I noticed it being available at the Bangkok Sausage House, so I decided to go that more convenient route. This is not a cheap option in that the Pattaya area delivery is 300. I paid a total of 500 for 600 grams. What arrived was not Andouille Sausage IMO. Andouille is a smoked sausage and I received an uncooked sausage. The saving grace was that it did in fact taste particularly good.

https://bangkoksausagehouse.com/

I cooked the sausage the night before. The recipe called for the equivalent of 4 of the links, so I ate the other 2 rolled up in slices of bread. They were delicious.

Pic of Andouille being cooked. 

741873585_Home-GumboA.thumb.jpg.febe2ed886812f1e7c1e4e5b25096f33.jpg

As the recipe states I use an oven method of preparing the roux. It is just so much easier. Here is a pic of the roux after the sofrito (onions, pepper, celery, and garlic) has been slowly worked in.

2114403795_Home-GumboB.thumb.jpg.b152d692d02e4efcf3ea34d229985d89.jpg

Here is a pic of the Gumbo after the Shrimp Stock has been slowly added.

1832451003_Home-GumboC.thumb.jpg.48b76dbd3d9c83f27f61fe8c91659c4b.jpg

I held off on adding the shrimp, until our guests arrive. Otherwise the shrimp would be over cooked. At that time, I add the shrimp and File Powder off heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

File Powder is hard to find in Thailand. If you cannot find File Powder, one could use Okra instead. Both File Powder and Okra contain the same ingredient that causes the Gumbo to thicken. I do not care for the Okra approach as it puts a sheen on the Gumbo. I was able to find a local supplier of File Powder in Phuket. This was very inexpensive at 225 including delivery.

https://thaiartisanfoods.com/

Note -> you will likely have leftovers. When you reheat them in a microwave hold the shrimp out except for the last 30 seconds. They will become shrimp hockey pucks if you do not.

Here is a pic of a serving.

24924906_Home-GumboD.thumb.jpg.18fa65a9a06abf3c8595987946624cd4.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 3

Looking for some assistance.

In the US I had a fair number of Latin dishes that I enjoyed making from time to time. The problem here in Thailand is that the peppers used in the Mexican ones are not available. I am not talking about Jalapenos and the higher end Scoville Scale ones, but rather the more savory ones. I mean:

• Poblanos
  • Anchos (dried poblanos)
  • New Mexico Chiles (dried)

Thailand has an overwhelming number of fresh and dried Chiles, but I have no idea what might begin to match up to the ones I mention. I did a few Google searches and the results were useless. Thai Visa has some very old info on this topic, but the general consensus is "good luck with that" or "get your friends back home do a smuggling trip on your behalf".

Maybe I should forgo using Grab for my Taco-Taco fix one night and make a trip over there to ask for some advice. She does do things right. The other Mexican places around town seem to be more Tex-Mex IMO.

Suggestions appreciated on this one.

I actually paid up for some Anchos to be shipped from the US. They have been on a customs hold for 6 weeks now. They may be showing up (probably moldy) any day now with a 1000 import fee.

tia,

CF

She gets her stuff brought in I'm pretty sure. I have friends bring me chilies. By the way, they've got fresh jalapenos at Makro now, but pricey at 160 or so a kilo, about the same as Villa when they have them (the local ones, the imported are ridiculous).

There are some really good online pepper suppliers but they don't ship to Thailand. You'd have to do your mail drop thingie. If you do let me know and we can do a combined order and save on bulk. In their whole form, chiles last a long, long time.

https://www.thechileguy.com/

On another front, I have good news for you. I've found some good Italian sausage (I believe) at a reasonable price, plus much, much more.

There has been a ravioli factory in Pattaya forever putting out a good product, but they didn't have a retail outlet until just now. You can get great frozen raviolis, fresh pastas, Italian cheeses and salamis and other cured meats, canned goods from Italy, on and on, AND they make their own Italian sausage at 330 a kilo, very fair price in my opinion. It's only available frozen and they have 3 types. It's a must visit in my opinion.

It's on Sukhumvit between Makro and Lotus, closer to Lotus. Just before it there's a Harry's bakery where I picked up a loaf of sourdough to eat my salami with--they sliced the salami for me (Milano 670? baht a kilo) very thinly and on the sourdough it was heaven, no mayo nothing else needed. 200 gram min on sliced meats. They have a facebook page and website but it's quite confusing.

I've been using this guy for many years, but the retail shop is so much better. I used to have to get 2kg of frozen ravioli at a time--keeps good in the freezer but still.

https://www.facebook.com/Tom-Lasanya-Co-Ltd-Fresh-egg-Pasta-in-Thailand-313109145388487

On 10/09/2020 at 17:11, expatdude said:

She gets her stuff brought in I'm pretty sure. I have friends bring me chilies. By the way, they've got fresh jalapenos at Makro now, but pricey at 160 or so a kilo, about the same as Villa when they have them (the local ones, the imported are ridiculous).

There are some really good online pepper suppliers but they don't ship to Thailand. You'd have to do your mail drop thingie. If you do let me know and we can do a combined order and save on bulk. In their whole form, chiles last a long, long time.

https://www.thechileguy.com/

On another front, I have good news for you. I've found some good Italian sausage (I believe) at a reasonable price, plus much, much more.

There has been a ravioli factory in Pattaya forever putting out a good product, but they didn't have a retail outlet until just now. You can get great frozen raviolis, fresh pastas, Italian cheeses and salamis and other cured meats, canned goods from Italy, on and on, AND they make their own Italian sausage at 330 a kilo, very fair price in my opinion. It's only available frozen and they have 3 types. It's a must visit in my opinion.

It's on Sukhumvit between Makro and Lotus, closer to Lotus. Just before it there's a Harry's bakery where I picked up a loaf of sourdough to eat my salami with--they sliced the salami for me (Milano 670? baht a kilo) very thinly and on the sourdough it was heaven, no mayo nothing else needed. 200 gram min on sliced meats. They have a facebook page and website but it's quite confusing.

I've been using this guy for many years, but the retail shop is so much better. I used to have to get 2kg of frozen ravioli at a time--keeps good in the freezer but still.

https://www.facebook.com/Tom-Lasanya-Co-Ltd-Fresh-egg-Pasta-in-Thailand-313109145388487

Great news.

I was in Makro the other day and they also sell individual jalapenos. Usually, I only want a few and I have a mason jar sitting in the fridge of home made pickled jalapenos. That will get me through the year.

The Italian place on Sukhumvit sounds great. Much thanks for the info.

My shipment thingie method may not be a good way to go for dried peppers and I agree they keep for years. The method is expensive (shipping costs to the mail forwarding service, shipping costs by the mail forwarding service (reduced by my membership), and possible Thai customs import fees). They are not consistent about this. Why start now? I have an order with some Anchos that has been sitting with a customs hold since August 7th. Lets see if it ever gets here and then possibly discuss further.

Again, thanks for the info on the Italian place. I will check that out soon

Edited by ChiFlyer

I had a good night tonight. I made one of my favorite US dishes for the first time here in Thailand. I was surprised that the GF liked it. Actually, this is more of a French dish IMO. I made 40 Cloves Chicken. There will be no vampires around here tonight and probably no sweet morning kisses either. :)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-with-forty-cloves-of-garlic-recipe-1944216

This one is a little bit of effort, but not at that hectic of a pass. It took me about 2.5 hours. Read the recipe and get things ready.

I like serving this recipe with couscous. I pimp up my couscous. I use chicken stock/broth. I heat it to a near boil and then cut the heat and bloom a generous amount of saffron threads in the heated Liquid. About 10 minutes later I return the Liquid to a boil. After that, I take the sauce pan off heat and add the couscous, as well as some yellow raisins and chopped pecans. I could not find most of these ingredients in the usual supermarkets, but they were all available on Lazada. Couscous was available in some supermarkets, but not in the Middle Eastern variety that I prefer. Lazada had one selection for that.

The Chicken ready to serve

850933233_Home-40ClovesA.thumb.jpg.e31691744139348fdfc53756aba48b06.jpg

The Couscous

1525448614_Home-40ClovesB.thumb.jpg.a16857f72b91f16a4a467420109a7eb1.jpg

Plated

1841085220_Home-40ClovesC.thumb.jpg.b1b48ebb026770d442541e3ec6839112.jpg

Looking for a recommendation once again.

A couple of months back I bought an Instant Pot from Lazada. It lasted a couple of months. I used it Friday night for probably the 5th time. I was making a slow cooker BBQ Beef recipe. After 8 hours of effort, I discovered that the seal on the bottom had given away and I had dried out, though well seasoned beef, a scorched pot, and a widening pool of Liquid coming down from the counter top.

I had purchased the Instant Pot long enough ago that I could not return it.

Been debating with myself if I want to replace it and the answer is yes. It was my slow cooker and steamer solution. @davidge with his Ninja gear looks great, but it is overkill for what I am looking for. I already have a decent enough air fryer.

Any recommendations?

Observation about using the Ninja as an Air Fryer:

When cooking steak the top browns more than the bottom;

When cooking sausages the bottom browns more than the top.

:Dunno1::)

4 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Looking for a recommendation once again.

A couple of months back I bought an Instant Pot from Lazada. It lasted a couple of months. I used it Friday night for probably the 5th time. I was making a slow cooker BBQ Beef recipe. After 8 hours of effort, I discovered that the seal on the bottom had given away and I had dried out, though well seasoned beef, a scorched pot, and a widening pool of Liquid coming down from the counter top.

I had purchased the Instant Pot long enough ago that I could not return it.

Been debating with myself if I want to replace it and the answer is yes. It was my slow cooker and steamer solution. @davidge with his Ninja gear looks great, but it is overkill for what I am looking for. I already have a decent enough air fryer.

Any recommendations?

Can you check if the sealing ring is seated properly? Also google “instant pot failure” for suggestions to remedy your predicament, you may have already tried.. I am trying to help you find a solution. Good luck, I enjoy your contributions.

Edited by Cheetos
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, davidge said:

Observation about using the Ninja as an Air Fryer:

When cooking steak the top browns more than the bottom;

When cooking sausages the bottom browns more than the top.

:Dunno1::)

I may be missing the point on this one, but from what I have read it is usually a good idea to turn or shake things about halfway through an air fryer cooking cycle.

8 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I may be missing the point on this one, but from what I have read it is usually a good idea to turn or shake things about halfway through an air fryer cooking cycle.

Yes, I do. I just noticed that a steak cooks more from the top while the sausage cooks more from the bottom - which affects when I decide to turn them (I don’t pre-heat).

21 hours ago, Cheetos said:

Can you check if the sealing ring is seated properly? Also google “instant pot failure” for suggestions to remedy your predicament, you may have already tried.. I am trying to help you find a solution. Good luck, I enjoy your contributions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have already pitched the beast. In looking it over, I saw what to me is a design flaw. That is there is not a separate pot included to isolate the food from the bottom of the pot. Instead there is a steamer basket type rack for this purpose that does allow any Liquid to go to the bottom and in this case leak from there.  My bad, in that I bought the thing in the first place.

I went a little cheap on this purchase and paid a price for doing so. I am looking at replacement items that do have inner pots to isolate Liquid based contents.

Taking my time this time around.

Covid really changed my life here in Pattaya. I think for the better. I prepare almost all my meals now. More costly to purchase the ingredients than eating at a restaurant but I enjoy and know what I am eating which is important to me. Today I attempted to make Oatmeal cranberry chocolate chip cookies in the air fryer. Cooking time was 12 minutes at 180 degrees. 

803B7BA0-D9A1-4424-85FD-E05C8E92BFB5.jpeg

A11BDC00-C296-40F0-A6F6-EFA950073B77.jpeg

Edited by Cheetos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cheetos said:

Covid really changed my life here in Pattaya. I think for the better. I prepare almost all my meals now. More costly to purchase the ingredients than eating at a restaurant but I enjoy and know what I am eating which is important to me. Today I attempted to make Oatmeal cranberry chocolate chip cookies in the air fryer. Cooking time was 12 minutes at 180 degrees.

First batch looks good. I am guessing the second batch is a different flavor?

Back to my search for a slow cooker/steamer/pressure cooker.

I think I have found the one on Lazada that I am going to go with. It is a little pricey at close to 14,000, but I really like the stats on it (6 L) as well as the pic of the LED display.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i1394596364-s3563380906.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.3fb26108cLGNtG&urlFlag=true

I am hesitating in that I do not use this particular piece of equipment all that often. I have a limited number of slow cooker recipes. On the other hand, I would like to get back to making my own chicken stock, which I use frequently. The stuff available in the stores is too salty. The pressure cooker setting on this model would be perfect for that purpose.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-soup-la-pressure-reloaded-8750044