IGNORED

ARECA LODGE

scrunge

@vivid2 it’s  been on my list of places to try for sometime so at least it’ll be a chance to finally check it out

For a cover is nice but the cover is not the book.

2 hours ago, vivid2 said:

I think that only half of the Corona building rooms overlook the Cabana pool, and half overlook Blue Ocean pool.  :GoldenSmile1:

In the Corona (middle building) half of the rooms, deluxe plus over look the large Blue Ocean Pool in the back. The other half, standard plus overlook the back side of the Areca Building and the drive thru between the 2 buildings. 

Someone earlier mentioned that the place is getting out dated, IMHO that is not true. The only building that hasn't been updated is the Evergreen Building and again I think is hasn't aged.

When I was there last week they were updating the front and some of the walls inside the lobby which hasn't been that long since the lobby and the front of the hotel has completely remodeled. 

One of the few hotels in Pattaya that puts money back into the property, just like a complete 100% remodel of the Cabana Pool. 

• Like 2

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

37 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

In the Corona (middle building) half of the rooms, deluxe plus over look the large Blue Ocean Pool in the back. The other half, standard plus overlook the back side of the Areca Building and the drive thru between the 2 buildings. 

LeoTex is correct but to further clarify, the "Stand Plus" rooms in both the Areca and Corona buildings do not overlook the pools, only the "Deluxe Plus" rooms in both buildings overlook the respective pools.

I also agree with LeoTex in that the Areca Lodge is not outdated, it might have been argued before the total refurbishment of both buildings, but not now.  They do re-invest in the complex, as mentioned it is not that long since they upgraded by the lobby in the Areca building and the Evergreen building and they seem to be doing work again recently.

I can think of another hotel group with two letters in its name that could do with refurbishing their rooms, but this is the Areca thread!

50 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

Someone earlier mentioned that the place is getting out dated, IMHO that is not true. The only building that hasn't been updated is the Evergreen Building and again I think is hasn't aged.

Totally agree…..I’m in Evergreen now, and I noticed that they brightened up the place a bit.  It was kind of dark with all that wood flooring.  They replaced it with a light woodgrain and installed light wallpaper over the dark paint on the walls.  Huge improvement…..even though I liked it before this made a big difference. The big room seems even larger now,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If only they'd pour some money into updating the wifi; it's inexcusably poor given their updates to other areas. 

1 hour ago, PGSTC776 said:

If only they'd pour some money into updating the wifi; it's inexcusably poor given their updates to other areas. 

Not sure when the last time you were there.

I spent the first 2 1/2 weeks there this month and I had not problems at all.

Stay logged in and the speed was better than it has been in my past trips. 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

4 hours ago, LeoTex said:

Not sure when the last time you were there.

I spent the first 2 1/2 weeks there this month and I had not problems at all.

Stay logged in and the speed was better than it has been in my past trips. 

Haven't been there since April, but unless there's been a major push to retrofit their system, I doubt it's any more reliable than it has been.

That hasn't stopped me from booking 3 weeks in October, but it did prompt me to split booking time with Amethyst to try an alternative.

I don't get this focus on wifi. The vast majority of Thai hotels I have visited has shitty wifi. But it's not a problem if have a sim with a good data plan (that can then be used as a hotspot for other devices.) Job done. And at an insignificant cost. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

6 hours ago, PGSTC776 said:

Haven't been there since April, but unless there's been a major push to retrofit their system, I doubt it's any more reliable than it has been.

That hasn't stopped me from booking 3 weeks in October, but it did prompt me to split booking time with Amethyst to try an alternative.

I was also there last April as well as last July and last September. 

In April and July it was about OK, but September it was better.

Again like I posted, the first 2 1/2 weeks it was very good IMHO and meet all my needs as being work navigate my bank account, airline and any other site I was on. It was also good out by the pool and in the lobby and even once at breakfast. 

However I don't stream stuff, so can't comment on that speed. but didn't have a problem with YouTube and like sites.

Like what @Thomaz73said, I can also use the data and hotspot on my phone if needed. 

14 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

I don't get this focus on wifi. The vast majority of Thai hotels I have visited has shitty wifi. But it's not a problem if have a sim with a good data plan (that can then be used as a hotspot for other devices.) Job done. And at an insignificant cost. 

Weird.  I've experienced the opposite; most of the hotels I've stayed at in Thailand have great wifi.  Some of us work remotely, utilize substantial bandwidth, and require stable speeds, as well as redundancy at certain times.  

For the most part, I'm ok with just using a hot spot.  I do occasionally work on sensitive scheduling that necessitates back ups that are also reliable, for those times I simply don't book at Areca, or hotels where the wifi is known to be inconsistent.

Areca simply does not have the wifi infrastructure that many hotels do, and it's particularly variable. 

It's probably my favorite hotel to stay in while I'm in Pattaya (purely for the location), and I've stayed there for at least a month a year since 2018, but I have to avoid it at certain times; it's annoying, because it is such an easy thing to fix.  

Has anyone had any luck with early check in/late check out here?

Coming for 3 weeks in May and if I'm not delayed I should be in Pattaya by 9am and when I check out I won't need to get a taxi until 8pm.

I did send them a message via thier website but haven't had a reply.

6 minutes ago, daytripperz said:

You may have better luck contacting them by email [email protected]

However, based on my experience you will be lucky to get an early check-in.  I have arrived many times before the 2pm check-in time and was always told to go off hang around the pool or whatever and come back at 2pm.  Given that it is May and low season and if you smile and grovel in a nice way, who knows.

They used to have a late check-out rate to 6pm at half the daily rate but I am not sure if that is still available.  I never took up this option as all I needed a room for was to have a shower and there is a private shower in the gents toilet near the Blue Ocean Pool in addition to the pool side shower.

The porters are happy to keep your luggage before and after you check in and out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daytripperz said:

Coming for 3 weeks in May and if I'm not delayed I should be in Pattaya by 9am and when I check out I won't need to get a taxi until 8pm.

As stated, they are fairly strict in adhering to their policies, so you'll be hard pressed in getting any early check in; that said, I did once get a 10 am check in, but the front office literally knows me by name, and even then I basically had to beg for it.

Late check out is available, but for a considerable price for just a small delay.  8pm will cost you another day rate. 

• 1 month later...

For Areca. I always try to book through booking.com but it’s always fully booked. 

any ideas other booking channels?

also, how was the bed is it comfy? (Important for me) and any balcony 

6 minutes ago, Jacobchengtk said:

For Areca. I always try to book through booking.com but it’s always fully booked. 

https://www.arecalodge.com/

On 26/01/2024 at 07:23, daytripperz said:

From an email: 

CHECK-IN & CHECK-OUT

Check-in time is 14.00 hrs and check-out time is 11.30 hrs. In case of early check-in before 14.00 hrs,  kindly inform us and book the room 1 day before your actual check-in date so you can check into your room as soon as you arrive at the hotel.

I do it every trip as I check in at 0200

10 minutes ago, Jacobchengtk said:

I've always found it more available on Agoda than on booking.com

Areca tends to have specific dates on when they release booking availability for I think 6 month periods.

You can also book directly.  

Is it possible to enter Areca on foot from Soi 15? Last tom I saw it was closed but roadworks were happening.

3 hours ago, Randomrobot said:

Is it possible to enter Areca on foot from Soi 15? Last tom I saw it was closed but roadworks were happening.

yes no problems at all

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed here recently. My first time since Covid. It was as good as I remember. My only comment is that there were lots of European older couples staying. Not a problem but from memory I thought previously it had more of a monger clientele. 

On 18/03/2024 at 14:54, DanFrank said:

I stayed here recently. My first time since Covid. It was as good as I remember. My only comment is that there were lots of European older couples staying. Not a problem but from memory I thought previously it had more of a monger clientele. 

It's actually always been really popular with older German retirees that don't necessarily monger, but enjoy the night life.  I actually met a nice couple who had a grandson that was getting married to a Thai woman one year, and they took me out for dinner one night when I was in Germany.  Pattaya isn't just for mongering for a lot of people. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just stayed at Areca for 10nights...18th-27th March 2024...my review below...

This was a prime location for me. Estimated walking times below…

• <5min - Soi Bukuao / Soi Honey / Soi Chaiyapoon / 2nd Road
  • 5-10min - Mikes Mall / Beach Road
  • 10min - Central Pattaya Mall
  • 15min - Walking Street
  • 20-25min - Soi 6

Also worth noting that there are baht bus routes on both Soi Bukuao and 2nd Road

Air Con in the room was really good. I had a Standard Plus King room in one of the newer buildings…think it was Areca wing…the stairs/elevator closest by reception. There is also two USB charging points in the room which was nice…all charge points/outlets by the bedside. One negative here was how slow the devices took to charge…it was quite painful to boost the charge on the phone during the day. The bathroom was also modern with a large walk in shower (which was used A LOT 😂)…temperature ranging well from really hot to really cold.

I just found this recently released video and the room here is the same as mine…Standard Plus King 
https://youtu.be/ed5hBFKigZw

The cleaner at Areca that I had on my floor was spot on. I left her anywhere between 20-40baht tip per day depending on what change I had lying around. I also gave her a 300baht tip at the end because she did such a great job. I was mostly impressed by the speed in which the room was made up when you went out…could be out 20min and come back it’s all done. In the room there’s a nice feature where you can electronically inform when you’re ready for the room to be cleaned (and the same for “do not disturb”)

IMG_1704.thumb.jpeg.53f728d83593807a33a59abbf0b27705.jpeg

If you’re not an early riser, though, I would bring earplugs…they can be crashing about early doors!

The reception staff were all really nice and helpful and the hotel general areas always felt really clean.

Breakfast was decent, but I did get bored of it after a week. Pretty much eggs/omelette/bacon/cereal/toast/some Asian dishes. They have coffee, water, juices. They also have a main restaurant…I ate there once at the end and wanted something quick…got a burger and fries and it wasn’t good at all 😂 but maybe I just selected a bad option!

The procedure for bringing back a guest is not too painful, but does require you both to be at the reception desk. The lady hands in the ID and you confirm the room number and sign the slip of paper which is then given to the lady. She then keeps hold of this until the deed is done and she returns with the slip of paper to collect her ID on the way out. Now what I don’t understand about this is that there is no real security check as such. There’s no confirmation from reception to you to ask if everything is ok, like I’ve heard other hotels do. 

There is also a small fitness centre with some fairly dated equipment, but at least they have the option. I used this once on a day that it pissed down the whole day.

Two pools...looked nice enough, although I never actually went in them!

Plan to stay here again next visit!

Can someone please confirm if the Deluxe rooms are renovated? At one point a few years ago, it was only the Deluxe Plus.

1 hour ago, jerkmcgerk said:

Can someone please confirm if the Deluxe rooms are renovated? At one point a few years ago, it was only the Deluxe Plus.

All the Deluxe rooms in the Corona building were renovated in 2023

4 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

All the Deluxe rooms in the Corona building were renovated in 2023

Thank you Greg! Now to decide between Areca and VT6!

Edited by jerkmcgerk