Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

ARECA LODGE

scrunge

Am just in process of looking for hotel for July 2020 and my fave hotel Areca Lodge has shot up in price. Almost as much as Aqua and about a third more expensive than 24/7 which is a complete reversal of prev prices. I know Areca has undergone substantial ( and required) modernisation but price hike seems way too much. Has anyone stayed recently and is it worth this much over 24/7  ?where this time i would book a room on front side.

Edited by scrunge
mispelled

I always liked the place, but the price was a factor on the next trip (May 2020). A pool is not a big ticket item for me.

I booked at Robins Nest right up the street

https://robinsnestpattaya.com/

A place called Harry's looked promising also

https://www.agoda.com/harry-s-apartments-bar-restaurant/hotel/pattaya-th.html?cid=-218

I also considered Mercure hotel which is behind the Areca

https://www.mercurepattaya.com/

Have to admit , pool is a big thing for me as often like decent swim during hottest part of afternoon. 2 pools at Areca is big bonus and LT always appreciate a pool, many get excited at prospect. Just can't get over price hike as stayed in Evergreen wing last May and that was looking tired, yet this is not the wing to have been updated. Feel it needs complete revamp to justify these prices esp low season!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, scrunge said:

Have to admit , pool is a big thing for me as often like decent swim during hottest part of afternoon. 2 pools at Areca is big bonus and LT always appreciate a pool, many get excited at prospect. Just can't get over price hike as stayed in Evergreen wing last May and that was looking tired, yet this is not the wing to have been updated. Feel it needs complete revamp to justify these prices esp low season!

What prices are you getting online?
I paid about 1900 bht a night last year. I stayed from 19 July in evergreen wing.

£550 UK pounds for 2 weeks July. Metropole and centara also substantially cheaper and Aqua only £20 more. Jeez this is low season- i'm flabbergasted. How far out is it best to book Areca as first time i stayed booked with about 6weeks to go and only paid about £30 per night from recollection

Edited by scrunge

Is it worth it? Depends on you really. I suspect not, in your case as you seem to feel it's overpriced.

Personally. I love the place and think it's well worth it, especially now that it's been done up.

Perhaps you should only book for a couple of days, to decide for yourself. However as it's sometimes full you run the risk of not being able to extend. Possibly not a big risk now as it does seem slower.

I stayed in the new remodeled room in the Areca building in December over Christmas.

They had raised the price since that building was remodeled.  

I have book the Areca Lodge again for April/Songkran but in the Corona Building at a lower price.

The remodeled rooms in the front building are nice, but there is no longer any drawers to put you stuff like before.

They now have small round night stands without drawers and no longer have the long table the TV sat on with the 4 drawers.

The best thing about the new rooms, no bathtub and had walking in shower with a rain head.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

52 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

The best thing about the new rooms, no bathtub and had walking in shower with a rain head.

that’s good. It’s why I stopped staying there. I hated the bath / shower combo... moved to sea me spring on soi 10. Bigger rooms, walk in shower and same price. Has the rooftop pool.

maybe I’ll return. But will price check first

The better hotels in the area are about the same IMHO. Acqua, Areca, Centara Azure, Centra, LK Renaissance - they all have their pluses and minuses. I am usually guided by price, I see if anyone of the hotels has a decent deal on...Agoda flash sales can be quite good.

I will ask the Mods to move this thread to the hotel section.

• Like 3

Can’t remember the road where Acqua was but looking on google maps it looks like a cul de sac. Can one cut across to the street parallel or do you have to walk back 2nd road.

I know I have a bad memory of roads and sense of direction.

Looks like a nice hotel, stayed in Areca all the time for location but really dislike bath tubs for showers.

23 minutes ago, Luggage said:

Can’t remember the road where acqua was but looking on google maps it looks like a cul de sac. Can one cut across to the street parallel or do you have to walk back 2nd road.

Looks like a nice hotel, stayed in Areca all the time for location but really dislike bath tubs for showers.

There is a shortcut to Treetown (behind Acqua) but there isn’t a shortcut to LK/Soi Dianna.

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

I have just looked at prices for 2019 and 2020 booking direct with the hotel and for Standard Rooms and Deluxe (Corona Building) and they are the same for both years.  In the Evergreen Wing the Superior Rooms are the same for both years and the Super Deluxe have increase by 50 Baht a night.

The prices for the Areca wing were not available last year due to the refurbishment and have increased on previous years since the refurbishment.

However based on previous years, Areca usually start promotions for the period after Songkran until November and the promotion even continued into December last year.  Unless they have more refurbishments planned for this year and the capacity is reduced again my advice is to hold off and see what this year's promotion brings and if you are going to book, join the ACE Club as the prices can be over 18% cheaper than the full price direct with the hotel.

I like the hotel because I like to lounge around the pool in the afternoon under a sun umbrella and I have never not been able to get a sun bed. I dislike roof top pools due to lack of shade (other have different views, which is great or we would all want to book the same hotel!) so the Areca with its 2 ground level pools suit me.

• Like 2

Staying in the non updated middle building now and it is not worth it. Old bathroom with bathtub and fixed showerhead at chest level. Limited electrical sockets in the wrong places. It feels old and rundown a bit like Nana hotel in Bangkok.

Staff, the pools and the location are great but the rest is not worth that price

Edited by cyfruil

/Mike

28 minutes ago, cyfruil said:

Staying in the non updated middle building now and it is not worth it. Old bathroom with bathtub and fixed showerhead at chest level. Limited electrical sockets in the wrong places. It feels old and rundown a bit like Nana hotel in Bangkok.

Staff, the pools and the location are great but the rest is not worth that price

Stayed in the middle building for 3 weeks over Christmas.

Room needs updating, very old looking now and not very clean.

• Like 3

Regarding Areca, I would only stay in either the recently updated wing (Corona?) or the more upmarket Evergreen Wing). The other wing needs updating, better places abound in the area. 

I stayed in Areca between 2010-13 for many trips but there was a sudden change it became a "package tourist hotel" full of families, the pools which as I became a total monger I used less where full of families and I have to be honest after the night exercise I never made either of the Gyms or breakfast and it seemed to become expensive as the trips went by.

I did like the bathtub for myself and had fun in the tub with a few girls but the rates for the room rocketed and I was lucky to find a "guesthouse" that was absolutely brilliant (no bathtub).

I always stayed in Evergreen but on checking prices it looks overpriced to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Luggage said:

Can’t remember the road where acqua was but looking on google maps it looks like a cul de sac. Can one cut across to the street parallel or do you have to walk back 2nd road.

There’s are 2 shortcuts.

1) end of cul de sac to Tree Town & Soi Buakhao 

2) the parking lot at Honey massage to Soi Honey. About 1/2 way between 2nd rd. & Soi Buakhao 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geezerrb said:

I was lucky to find a "guesthouse" that was absolutely brilliant (no bathtub).

Any hint of whitch guesthouse?
If you can rewiev it it would be great!

Relieved its not just me who considers this overpriced. Aqua looks certainly more upmarket but i fear it will suffer from same tree town noise as 24/7 which i have just stayed in over Xmas. Can anyone advise me as noise in Aqua as this looks far more reasonable for only £20 more. What is ACE club?

• Like 1

I can’t understand why people pay what they are paying for the Areca. I get that the location is spot on and the two pools seem to be a big draw. However when I stay 2018 I just felt the rooms and facilities just didn’t seem fresh. This could be down to it being an older hotel and from this thread I see some of the rooms have been refurbished. However at 1900 bhat a night I think there is better options.

I personally like the D hotel which is location is more North on Soi B but it’s quiet, nice roof pool which is never busy and is 40 yards from the baht buses and at 1,120 per night in May is good value.

Like the poster i also enjoy the pool and I have to say the Areca wins hands down for that. However do I want to pay and extra 700 bhat a night for two pools and a nice bar.the roof pool at D hotel does the exact same without the bar. However I use my ice bag I take to the golf, fill it up with ice and put some drinks in it and take it to the pool. I’m not a cheap Charlie (you can’t be if your a golfer). However I just feel there are just as good options for less money than the Areca.

Aqua is a good option, rooms are a little small but the roof bar and pool is lovely of an evening. 
Page 10 is roughly the same price as the Areca and is sometimes forgotten about.

My friend enjoyed the Centara Azure when the price is right.

I’m  actually booked in the the D Xpress for May stayed there in November it’s a little out the way but my pal and I will walk along 3rd and down Soi Excite for a coffee in bake and brew before hitting LK Metro and such or it’s a 5 minute walk to bhat bus.

This is why I love Pattaya so many options at different price points to suit all tastes and needs. This goes with hotels,food,golf and many more things.

Edited by Joethescot

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

The Evergreen Wing and Superior Rooms are very worn and old looking now and that was back in 2018. Had a problem finding a decent room on my last stay there due to this.

I've not seen the refurbished rooms but for me, Areca has gone from a a good value hotel to a poor value hotel over the last 3 years. Prices have been creeping up disproportionatley to other places whilst the rooms and facilities deteriorate. I've also found the staff are a mixed bag and I've had a couple of poor experiences. 

I spend a fair bit of time at the pool when in Patts, especially at this time of year when escaping the Scottish winter, so I've booked the Mercure for the first 8 days of my trip this month. Their pool is excellent and the pool facing deluxe rooms are decent and can be had at good value. 

2 hours ago, scrunge said:

Relieved its not just me who considers this overpriced. Aqua looks certainly more upmarket but i fear it will suffer from same tree town noise as 24/7 which i have just stayed in over Xmas. Can anyone advise me as noise in Aqua as this looks far more reasonable for only £20 more. What is ACE club?

Book a front (Honey) facing room and you won’t hear any noise at the Acqua.

• Like 3

Stayed in both the evergreen and corona wing and really didn’t think there was much difference other than the view from the balcony.

Don’t use the pool or gym much but the breakfast is good and the location is great especially if you like LK Metro. Really like the photos of Acqua, I usually book when I’m there I wonder do they have something like the ace club, you still get good rates without the need to book ahead.

Just hope this coronavirus will be yesterday’s news by July.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BlooBell said:

I've not seen the refurbished rooms but for me, Areca has gone from a a good value hotel to a poor value hotel over the last 3 years. Prices have been creeping up disproportionatley to other places whilst the rooms and facilities deteriorate. I've also found the staff are a mixed bag and I've had a couple of poor experiences. 

I spend a fair bit of time at the pool when in Patts, especially at this time of year when escaping the Scottish winter, so I've booked the Mercure for the first 8 days of my trip this month. Their pool is excellent and the pool facing deluxe rooms are decent and can be had at good value. 

Mercure is a nice hotel and I've stayed there. Nice location and it's easy to get to/from many places in that area

• Like 2