IGNORED

EVA cabin crews on strike

Syd Tybil

Oh boy....

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3728291

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) -- After Members of the Taoyuan Flight Attendants Union (TFAU) and representatives of EVA Air failed to reach a consensus on the union's demands, the TFAU announced today that the EVA Air's flight attendants will go on strike, starting at 4 p.m. this afternoon (June 20).

During last-ditch talks held at the Renaissance Taipei Shihlin hotel, EVA Air management and TFAU representatives were unable to reach a consensus. At 2:10 p.m. today on TFAU's Facebook page, the union announced that its members will stop providing service at 4 p.m. this afternoon and will instead gather in front of the Evergreen Group building in Nankan, Taoyuan to begin protesting.

The airline staff have demanded a management response to complaints about overtime, long working hours, and pay, but two rounds of negotiations last month failed to provide the required results, according to the union.

One of the major sticking points was the union's demand that the allowance for flight attendants working in overseas destinations be raised from NT$90 (US$2.90) to NT$150 per flight, and that this only apply to TFAU members. Also on the table are nine round-trip flights which the union sees as causing overwork.

On those nine-round trip flights, the union wishes EVA Air to require flight attendants to work only one leg of a trip and then allow them to rest overnight. Presently, the flight attendants are required to work on both legs of each trip on those nine routes, which they say often results in them working over 12 hours, a violation of the Labor Standards Act.

Strikes, especially in the transportation sector, are extremely rare in Taiwan. Last February, pilots at the country’s largest carrier, China Airlines, held a week-long strike.

Ironically, just one day before the strike, Skytrax listed EVA Air as the 6th best airline, No. 1 cleanest in the world, and best for catering in economy class. These rankings could be in jeopardy if the EVA Air flight attendant strike goes on for an extended period of time.

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow's flight from Bkk and the return from Heathrow have been cancelled :rolleyes:

BA are also holding a ballot on strike action. The earliest any strikes could be held is 5 August.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I'd just like it to be known that any EVA airways stewardesses stuck in London on account of this are welcome to sleep on my sofa.

12 minutes ago, rope-a-dope said:

I'd just like it to be known that any EVA airways stewardesses stuck in London on account of this are welcome to sleep on my sofa.

To late I called dibbs :GrinNod1:

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Looking at their website they’ve cancelled an enormous number of flights...given the loss of revenue I can only imagine management will want to resolve this ASAP... I certainly hope so!

I feel sorry for the folks who were supposed to be flying out of LAX tonight on BR015.  For me, I'll have to sit on pins and needles until mid-week next week to find out if my Friday night flight is cancelled and I have to rebook with another airline.  For this trip, I paid with points, so I would assume EVA would just return my points.  According to the EVA website, there's a ton of flights cancelled over the next few days.  If management doesn't rectify this quickly, EVA is going to be losing a lot of business in a very short period of time.  That's an excellent incentive to get them to the bargaining table or bring in scabs...

image.thumb.png.67d26876b597f4359fadd58c963ae3a6.png

Even if they get to TPE, travelers to BKK will be stuck...  what a mess!

image.png.3f89a47f6e156d61b4123aa80358cddd.png

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Looks like Thai Airways flights from Bangkok & Heathrow TG916/17 same times as Eva will pick up some extra business over the coming days whilst this strike continues.

So how does this even work? Granted I am three months away from my trip but if there is a cancellation due to a strike do they book you on a different flight as it is technically their fault or are you just refunded and shit out of luck for your paid accomodations?

1 hour ago, paulalbert1980 said:

So how does this even work? Granted I am three months away from my trip but if there is a cancellation due to a strike do they book you on a different flight as it is technically their fault or are you just refunded and shit out of luck for your paid accomodations?

Book you on different airlines.

Tomorrow's flights 22nd June  BR67/68 Bangkok to Heathrow and return now cancelled 2nd day in a row Friday and Saturday always busy flights this will cost Eva dear.

Just now, Rainsberger said:

Tomorrow's flights 22nd June  BR67/68 Bangkok to Heathrow and return now cancelled 2nd day in a row Friday and Saturday always busy flights this will cost Eva dear.

trouble is any last minute booking you make with an alternative carrier will be costing more than 1 made at leisure weeks/months ago.

Two of my friends were due to fly Heathrow Bkk this evening, they got an email yesterday to say the flight was cancelled due to cabin crew striking over pay. Fortunately they managed to get a flight with Thai for about £560. I think they were lucky to get it at that price, just a heads up, who knows if this will continue. Eva couldn't offer a flight until the 26th

Threads merged.

1 hour ago, striderman said:

trouble is any last minute booking you make with an alternative carrier will be costing more than 1 made at leisure weeks/months ago.

Yup. I paid £833 back in Jan for Eva PE.

Thai economy is now 800+ for next week. Emirates over £500.

Just read that it's costing them $8 million a day while this strike is on

I'm not holding out much hope I'll be in my comfy seat at the end of next week and will have to pay over the odds for another flight with worse flight times and get a refund on my original booking.

I thought the week before you go on hoiday was meant to be exciting lol

My flight on Thursday from Heathrow has now been cancelled :Anger:

1 hour ago, daytripperz said:

My flight on Thursday from Heathrow has now been cancelled :Anger:

They cancelled your flight for next week already ? This is trouble as I am due to flight on the 3rd.

This is suck for so close to our trip.

20 minutes ago, h.harris said:

They cancelled your flight for next week already ? This is trouble as I am due to flight on the 3rd.

This is suck for so close to our trip.

Yup and it looks like they are cancelled until at least the 29th.

Just spoken to my agent and they wanted to put me on the Thai flight. I told them I would need exit row as I'm a tall bastard and booked Eva PE specifically for that reason. They said they'll call back, which they did and have offered me BA premium economy with no additional fees and the return is still with Eva...for now

So not too much of a nightmare and I should arrive 6 hours earlier.

Panic over I hope lol

8 hours ago, striderman said:

EVA does the rebooking, not you. So EVA is paying for it, not you. 

3 minutes ago, ZRHuser said:

EVA does the rebooking, not you. So EVA is paying for it, not you. 

I think the issue is that Eva are offering flights 3, 4 or 5 days away whereas if someone takes the refund they can book flights the same day.

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

I think the issue is that Eva are offering flights 3, 4 or 5 days away whereas if someone takes the refund they can book flights the same day.

They would love you for taking the refund, thats cheaper for them. Just because EVA is offering you a flight some days out does not mean you have to accept that, or a refund.

Go online, look for a flight out on the day you booked, then call EVA. If they want to push you to a flight some days later, tell them about the available flights and give them one or two possible, for you acceptable, flights. Then take it from there.

If you booked with a booking agency, you may have to contact them. 

Archived