IGNORED

EVA cabin crews on strike

Syd Tybil

My original flight was on jul 12.  It was canceled, but I arrive same day on United to Tokyo, and then thai airways to bkk, which I heard is good.  I'm just arriving 11 hours later.

My return flight was on jul 24th, which was not canceled, so all in all, I was lucky.  My flight home is premium economy, another tiny bonus as I bring my little thai lady to America for her first time.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EVA Welcomes End of Strike, Apologizes for Inconvenience to the Public

TAIPEI, TAIWAN (06 July, 2019) -- EVA Air and the Taoyuan Flight Attendants Union (TFAU) reached a consensus and signed a collective agreement today as witnessed by Labor Minister Hsu Ming-chun and Taoyuan City Mayor Cheng Wen-tsan. As the strike came to an end, EVA expresses its most sincere apology to the general public for the turmoil and inconvenience caused by this labor action.

[emoji843]EVA always takes passengers’ interests as the first priority
Throughout the strike, EVA always took passengers’ interests as its first priority. EVA has urged TFAU to share the same concern and not to rush to a strike in several occasions when the union members cast votes to decide a labor action. Even though TFAU still launched a strike without prior notice, EVA made every effort to maintain operation and minimize the impact to passengers. EVA understands that passengers’ trust and support have enabled the airline to stand out among fierce competition and repeatedly win numerous international recognitions. Therefore, when the strike occurred, it was our first priority to try all we could to safeguard the rights and interests of our passengers.
As the strike has finally come to an end, EVA will gradually resume scheduled flights by the end of July and will make necessary adjustment to its service operation in August depending on the number of cabin crew able to work and passengers’ travel demand.

[emoji843]EVA appreciates its hard working and loyal employees
EVA sincerely thanks its air and ground staff who worked in shifts around the clock to assist thousands of passengers during the difficult time. In spite of extremely heavy workload, the staff remained dedicated to their work. Even the company’s retired employees and staff’s family members came to offer their help. With the dedication of these employees, EVA is able to weather this turbulent storm.

[emoji843]EVA thanks the cabin crew who returned to work from strike
EVA is grateful to the cabin crew who joined the strike in the beginning but came back to work during the labor action. EVA believes these flight attendants still keep their passion to the airline industry and thus return to continue their service. EVA hopes to work with them to regain passengers’ trust and make the company even stronger.

[emoji843]EVA is grateful for the support from all sectors of the society
Last but not the least, EVA wants to express heart-felt gratitude to the general public for their support and understanding. The company also thanks all its partners in the airliner industry and travel trade for helping to arrange alternative flights through this challenging time.

This strike has caused enormous losses to EVA Air. But as long as we have the recognition and support of the public, we believe that we can recover within the shortest possible time, resume our service and regain the trust of our passengers. Looking to the future, we are confident to rebuild EVA’s reputation as “The Wings of Taiwan” that all our colleagues and many local people are proud of.

For more information[emoji654]https://reurl.cc/OKZ9A

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

Just flown back with them tonight in PE. It was my first holiday flying anything other than economy. But because the first flight was cancelled I was put on the BA flight, also in PE. So I thought I'd post a quick comparison.

Seats were much better in EVA as the plane was much newer than the old banger BA were using. The cushion and blanket were a lot nicer too compared to BA. The IFE on EVA was great although the film selection was a bit shit. BA's films were better but the screen was awful.

The food on BA wasn't too bad. I couldn't eat either of the two mains of EVA's offerings. Maybe the chefs have gone on strike? :P

But tbf both had enough legroom for me to stretch out as I'm 6'4" with long legs which is the only reason I booked PE in the first place.

The service however on EVA was so, so much better. Food tray's were taken very quickly and they would come by pretty often with drinks. BA on the other hand....the second meal trays were there for almost an hour

I did take a a couple of valium on each flight so I may have missed some bits :rolleyes:

Basically fly EVA but have a good feed first lol.

I wonder if we might start to see some promotional fares from EVA over the coming weeks as they attempt to regain some of the good will lost due to the strike. Been hard to find good fares ( in business at least ) on EVA for a couple of years now

9 minutes ago, neilri2001 said:

I wonder if we might start to see some promotional fares from EVA over the coming weeks as they attempt to regain some of the good will lost due to the strike. Been hard to find good fares ( in business at least ) on EVA for a couple of years now

Or they will raise prices to cover their losses. 

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:01, eXplosief said:

Or they will raise prices to cover their losses. 

Now you're thinking along the lines of Thai Mentality.

Less customers, so raise the price to offset the low cash flow.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

On 21/07/2019 at 04:50, neilri2001 said:

Instead they are giving extra mileage on flights.

They usually do a mileage promotion around this time of year.  This time they are giving a little bit more.

https://eservice.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/FFP/campaign-apply-2.aspx

image.png.176980c14d2058c0606cdc33c3469ca0.png

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

59 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Instead they are giving extra mileage on flights.

They usually do a mileage promotion around this time of year.  This time they are giving a little bit more.

https://eservice.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/FFP/campaign-apply-2.aspx

I just got an email saying that, in addition to the 3,900 extra miles, they also are offering 50% off on mileage requirements for upgrades.

Both require registration BEFORE you fly (separate registration pages).

This should be the link to register for discounted upgrades: https://eservice.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/FFP/campaign-apply-3.aspx?Register

52 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I just got an email saying that, in addition to the 3,900 extra miles, they also are offering 50% off on mileage requirements for upgrades.

Both require registration BEFORE you fly (separate registration pages).

This should be the link to register for discounted upgrades: https://eservice.evaair.com/flyeva/EVA/FFP/campaign-apply-3.aspx?Register

I booked just a week or so too earlier for both promotions and fly 2 days too early. 

PS Looks like next month things might be the other way around, now BA pilots might go on strike. So maybe Eva can regain some of their losses.

EVA is also bringing back Miles & Cash.  It's a way to lower the cost of a ticket for some.  I used it years ago. I recall that 20K was the most miles that could be used for lowering the cost of a ticket.  Now for me, FF miles are only used for upgrading to Biz for LAX->TPE

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/infinity-mileagelands/mileage-redemption/miles-and-cash/

"...Just purchase tickets online and you’re free to pay in cash only or a combination of miles and cash."

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

• 1 month later...

@daytripperz I'm 6'2 mostly legs... Thinking I'd probably suffer in Economy Class with the lack of legroom... As much as I'd like the cheaper cost, probably wise to spend more for Premium Economy. I'm a long way out from the trip but Eva seems to be my pick.

Just wondering how the legs were when you were in Economy? ... On a scale of maybe, tolerable to never again. 

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

@daytripperz I'm 6'2 mostly legs... Thinking I'd probably suffer in Economy Class with the lack of legroom... As much as I'd like the cheaper cost, probably wise to spend more for Premium Economy. I'm a long way out from the trip but Eva seems to be my pick.

Just wondering how the legs were when you were in Economy? ... On a scale of maybe, tolerable to never again. 

I'm not as tall as you (5'9"), but I find the leg room on EVA better than most long haul flights.  Save your money for Pattaya and try to get a bulkhead seat and get up and walk around every hour or so, you'll be fine.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

For a 12 hour flight never again. An aisle seat maybe.....but it wouldn't be fun.

11 hours ago, Wilson said:

I’m 6ft and it’s easily tolerable. I don’t do the thai airways air bus as they have a foot rest at the bottom of the seat which is annoying and digs into your shins if your tall. I find Eva one of the best in economy 

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

I might only be 6' 1 1/2... 555 (just wanted to 555 something awful).

Thanks for the replies. Just a random shortest duration Toronto to Bkk flight has the first leg at 15 hrs to Taiwan. 

The price was 1000 for premium economy, 820 economy standard and 660 economy basic.

Jesus, didn't know there was a basic AND standard. 

The bulkhead and aisle seat spots are good ideas for sure.

Probably around 2000, 1600, 1300.. depending on which class.

I might try digging up the info on the size of leg room for each and bulkhead... see the difference. 

I haven't flown in over a decade and nothing over 5 hrs. I do have sleeping pills though.

5 hours ago, Wilson said:

I might try digging up the info on the size of leg room for each and bulkhead... see the difference. 

SeatGuru.com should give you the standard seat width and pitch for the sections, but, unfortunately, it does not give specific measurements for each row.

The User Comments in the right column at the lower part of the page are a GREAT source to look up the specific rows, however.

I think EVA Premium Economy may have some issues with the in-seat entertainment unit under the seat blocking some of the leg room.  Read the comments to find a seat that has full leg room.

At those prices, I can't see going economy standard over premium economy.  Hell, I would pay double for PE over economy....

I'll check those comments out. Thanks 

Yeah, I'm thinking PE just in case for the first trip.. Maybe I'll go for a longer stay instead of more stays to stretch out the airfare costs. 

Premium economy on EVA is fantastic.  But my first leg to Thailand was canceled, due to strike and I got put on United.  I bought premium plus and it was every bit as good as premium economy on EVA, if not better. Only cost 200 usd.    But you cant beat the midnight flight times from the USA on eva 

Leaving at midnight easier to sleep through it, less jet lag, I take it? 

35 minutes ago, bigmac9899 said:

Premium economy on EVA is fantastic.  But my first leg to Thailand was canceled, due to strike and I got put on United.  I bought premium plus and it was every bit as good as premium economy on EVA, if not better. Only cost 200 usd.    But you cant beat the midnight flight times from the USA on eva 

3 hours ago, Wilson said:

Two big perks to leaving around midnight:

(1) Easier to sleep because of how late it is; and 

(2) Barring a very long layover, you arrive in Bangkok late morning to early afternoon.

Flights that leave the USA during the day tend to arrive around midnight, which, to me, sucks.  I did that on my last trip, and it took much longer than normal to get my body clock in sync.

On 04/09/2019 at 17:43, Wilson said:

Pretty much. If you're like me, I sleep during the day anyways when in Pattaya and party at night. The 14 hour difference (from PST) is perfect for that. 

On 14/07/2019 at 22:36, daytripperz said:

I did take a a couple of valium on each flight so I may have missed some bits :rolleyes:

ha ha I do the same and put pink floyd on, it really shortens the flight :wink:

• 1 month later...

Is there a sweet spot for booking the flight for best or at least reasonable price?

I looked at a last minute price just now for next week and it was 4 grand. So much for that idea.

Probably the earlier the better? Hmm, boxing day sales?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

@Wilson I've found that booking 3-4 months out on EVA is about right.  I start tracking the fares of the date/time of my desired flight 6 months out.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Archived