IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

14 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

They're probably saying the same about the thai food we eat. 

I bet the japanese are laughing at their representations in pattaya.

If you like it, eat it. 

Of course they are and depending on the food, they're often right.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Of course they are and depending on the food, they're often right.

The point is, don't worry about it :) 

I find Santa Fe to be the worst place in Pattaya for steaks,  I had the 300bht New Zealand sirloin the other day and couldn't even go past one bite. The steak smelled and tasted old, tough as nails, cant be imported steak, no seasoning, pure gristle and fat. Had better food at my high school cafeteria. Never again as I don't know why people like Santa Fe, Yes its cheap but the quality is worse then food courts.
Santa Fe is like a fast food restaurant. I wouldn't come here expecting a steakhouse.

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

The point is, don't worry about it :) 

I wouldn't worry unless I was forced to eat there again. 

My Way, the Dutch restaurant in the same arcade as Beefeater, Patrick's and Longhorn, has one of the better value-for-money offers on a steak dinner in Pattaya.  The 180-gram (6.35 oz) beef tenderloin, small salad, gravy and choice of potato (home fries, French fries or mashed) costs 295 baht.  The various steaks on the menu at My Way also come in 300-gram versions.

IMG_0188.jpg.9c9f09c72cf0df26681a54047551156a.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg.c4fa1a58ee97f70b494aa03fc18499ae.jpg

I have been impressed by how tender and flavorful the local beef has been over  the past 10 years.  I always order it medium rare and that's exactly how it comes. The home fries (aka German fried potatoes) are also excellent with the additional of bacon and fried onions. The salad is generic, but there's a good-sized portion of it.
 IMG_0184.jpg.9ec7eb87b73e44d3f9a552c022f6452c.jpg

My Way had been closed several weeks in August due to the passing of the owner (RIP), but reopened on September 7.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Looks good bang for your baht. Saute potatoes and onions it's called where i come from.

Don't know about an egg garnished side salad though.

I've enjoyed My Way's steaks in recent years.

A direct comparison to the regular steaks in The Kitchen on Second Rd would be interesting.  The latter are approx B210-305 if ordered at 50% discount between 1500 and 1730 with an Eatigo reservation.

https://eatigo.com/th/chiang-mai-pattaya/en/r/the-kitchen-restaurant-and-bistro-2nd-road-874

KitchenSteakMenu.jpg.51612fdee6db35d0d4ca5d41da91c81a.jpg

5 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

My Way, the Dutch restaurant in the same arcade as Beefeater, Patrick's and Longhorn, has one of the better value-for-money offers on a steak dinner in Pattaya.  The 180-gram (6.35 oz) beef tenderloin, small salad, gravy and choice of potato (home fries, French fries or mashed) costs 295 baht.  The various steaks on the menu at My Way also come in 300-gram versions.

I have been impressed by how tender and flavorful the local beef has been over  the past 10 years.  I always order it medium rare and that's exactly how it comes. The home fries (aka German fried potatoes) are also excellent with the additional of bacon and fried onions. The salad is generic, but there's a good-sized portion of it.

My Way had been closed several weeks in August due to the passing of the owner (RIP), but reopened on September 7.

Evil

This is impressive and will add to my list to try it out when the carnivore mood hits.  Good looking steak , cooked perfectly , nice side of spuds along the Lyonnaise style and a good sized salad too for 295 B    wow......   great find. 

180Gr in a fillet is plenty since there is almost no waste .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

4 hours ago, SirL said:

A direct comparison to the regular steaks in The Kitchen on Second Rd would be interesting.  The latter are approx B210-305 if ordered at 50% discount between 1500 and 1730 with an Eatigo reservation.

Your wish is my command.  Actually, it's coincidence that is my command.  When I read SirL's comment above, I was in The Kitchen having just ordered The Grill Steak (580 baht) under the Eatigo 50% discount. I'd wanted to try the Australian Ribeye (610 baht), but the waitress said, "No hab."  The photo of the menu in SirL's photo must be old, as the price of The Grill Steak had increased by 160 baht.

Also, The Kitchen adds 7% VAT and 10% service on top of the discounted price (290 baht), which brought the total cost to 330 baht. With a bottle of soda water, the meal cost 376 baht.  I'll post a review  tomorrow- on my way soon to a bar crawl-  but I wasn't impressed by The Grill Steak at The Kitchen.  The photos now, text to follow later.

IMG_0254.jpg.2e4637583761f5f699d31c230809ae5a.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg.fcc77707bf8dc00a1b6230844951c1e1.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg.3c1dc38e3f222eab8dd26c179ae53293.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg.7855a33c065f8b7e73d8187bc06fb382.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg.92e2a9e2ef077adc254617f44e0e2254.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg.20f3cd595c64b450ca5b7f081b6a6bbb.jpg

19 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Your wish is my command.  Actually, it's coincidence that is my command.  When I read SirL's comment above, I was in The Kitchen having just ordered the Grill Steak (580 baht) under the Eatigo 50% discount. I'd wanted to try the Australian Ribeye (610 baht), but the waitress said, "No hab."  The photo of the menu in SirL's photo must be old, as the price of the Grill Steak had increased by 160 baht.

Also, The Kitchen adds 7% VAT and 10% service on top of the discounted price (290 baht), which brought the total cost to 330 baht. With a bottle of soda water, the meal cost 376 baht.  I'll post a review  tomorrow- on my way soon to a bar crawl-  but I wasn't impressed by the Grill Steak at The Kitchen.  The photos now, text to follow later.

Yes, you're correct that my earlier menu photo is old - I think it's about 15 months old, but I'm surprised the price of that menu item has risen so much in that period.  I apologise if anyone has been misled by my old menu photo.

When I was last in The Kitchen, in approx Jan 2018, mid afternoon, the waitress also said "no hab" when I asked for one of those steaks, so I ended up with something pork (at 50% off) that was fairly good.  Maybe there's something fishy going on with the unavailability of the steaks(??)

I'm also very sorry if the steak you had wasn't good.

5 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

Great, on my "to do" list :)

Looking at the pics of The Kitchen steak just above, maybe The Grill wasn't hot enough(???)  Perhaps they only keep it heated up properly in busy lunchtime and evening hours, and so a steak is a bad choice if eating there mid-afternoon(???)  Maybe The Kitchen is a good choice, eating mid-afternoon at 50% off, if you carefully choose something that's easier to cook well(???)

9 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

Thanks for this Evil! I always enjoy your food reviews but this one is special for me. I have known the owner Rinus for years and although I knew he was terminaly ill for a while his passing away still came as a blow. His wife and daughter are now running the restaurant and it is good to see they are maintaining the high standards My Way has been known for in the past.

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

My way, home cooked saute potatoes and onions. Kitchen, frozen crinkle cut.

You can tell the quality difference in the meat by just looking at the photos.

The kitchen steak looks full of tough sinew. Off to my way on my next visit.

EP - 

Stupid question, but I assume you requested the sauce on the side, instead of on the steak (at My Way)?

While i like their sauce, it can sometimes overwhelm the meat when they put a lot on.

One of my favorite stops -- very sorry to hear about the owner, but happy that his wife and daughter are keeping things going!

Wow, the comments on the pics from The Kitchen have said most of what I planned to write in my review.  A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

19 hours ago, geezerrb said:

Totally uninspiring presentation, I will be interested in Evils review.

19 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

^ that kitchen one doesn't look a very good colour compared with my way.

14 hours ago, PBear66 said:

My way, home cooked saute potatoes and onions. Kitchen, frozen crinkle cut.

You can tell the quality difference in the meat by just looking at the photos.

The kitchen steak looks full of tough sinew. Off to my way on my next visit.

19 hours ago, SirL said:

Looking at the pics of The Kitchen steak just above, maybe the grill wasn't hot enough(???) 

Yes, I'm convinced that was the biggest problem.  With steak, the crucial factor is to get a good sear on the surface.  It's not just a matter of presentation, it is hugely important regarding taste.  A temperature of 400 to 500 degrees F (200 to 260 degrees C) is necessary.

Another factor could have been the surface of the steak hadn't been patted off to remove excess moisture. A wet surface hinders browning. A steak won't brown until all the water has been evaporated from the surface. A third factor could be the steak had been thawed too quickly from a frozen state, which could also account for the steak's odd consistency.  It wasn't tender but seemed "soft" in a weird way.  Freezing meat  damages the muscle fiber and improper thawing compounds the effect.

Bottom line:  I got a steak of dubious quality that had been improperly handled and cooked; definitely not value for money even with the Eatigo discount. Without the discount, it's a ridiculous price when the ++ VAT and service are added.  For 645 baht, you can get 250 grams of imported Australian beef at Steak & Co.

To be fair, there were some positive factors to the meal.  The French fries, although industrial crinkle cut, were twice fried and better tasting than most French fries in Pattaya. I also liked the fresh lettuce leaves with a sprinkling of vinaigrette, far superior to the over-dressed soggy salad that is common in Pattaya restaurants.  The Kitchen is a clean and comfortable place to dine.  I've had good non-steak meals in the past at The Kitchen and won't hesitate to eat there again, but not the steak.

14 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

EP - 

Stupid question, but I assume you requested the sauce on the side, instead of on the steak (at My Way)?

While i like their sauce, it can sometimes overwhelm the meat when they put a lot on.

Yes, I requested sauce on the side.  With a very few exceptions (such as Entrecote Cafe de Paris and Steak Diana), I consider it wrong to put gravy or another sauce on good steak.  As you say, it can overwhelm the meat. For me, gravy goes best on mashed potatoes, Yorkshire or even bread.

However, in part it's a cultural thing.  Dutch friends have told me steak is normally served in the Netherlands with gravy on top of it.

Evil

3 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The Kitchen is a clean and comfortable place to dine.  I've had good non-steak meals in the past at The Kitchen and won't hesitate to eat there again, but not the steak.

Yes, this sounds like the key takeaway to me.  Maybe the steak is better in the evening when The Grill is fully heated up, but it would be expensive then, so maybe the best way to play The Kitchen is mid-afternoon at 50% off, but choosing simple non-steak dishes that don't require fancy cooking.  I'm sorry again for my part in this.

In case anyone is interested in top-end steak in Pattya in a fine-fining restaurant, here are the prices at Cafe des Amis:

Capture.thumb.JPG.048c16a70a1556702421c92f13eb00fc.JPG

17 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

EP - 

One of my favorite stops -- very sorry to hear about the owner, but happy that his wife and daughter are keeping things going!

You bring up a very interesting point.  For all my years in the restaurant bizz.... we never put sauce on a steak.... in fact a NY Strip , Ribeye,  didn't have sauces offered. A fillet would get Bearnaise, always on the side.  Sometimes a bit of compound butter on top .

A good quality steak shouldn't need a sauce, although if it is ordered well done , it may need something to lubricate the meat down your throat. Of course you will always have the occasional Neanderthal who will smother a steak in ketchup or Heinz .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

However, in part it's a cultural thing.  Dutch friends have told me steak is normally served in the Netherlands with gravy on top of it.

Evil

Usually the 'gravy' is whatever is left in the pan you made the steak in, eventually mixed with some extra butter until it's a sauce. Steak with real gravy with added cornstarch sounds old school, like how grandma used to make it in the 60's/70's lol. I personally take a room temperature steak, pat it dry, sear it on both sides and let it sit for a little while on a low fire. Then I wrap it in aluminium foil, add salt + pepper on both sides and wrap it up. After 5 mins some of the juices have came out and I use that as sauce/gravy/whatever. 

But back ontopic, I too added this on my to-visit list when I'm back in town. Support the locals, 9000+ km away. :P

On 19 September 2018 at 19:52, taylor1975 said:

^ that kitchen one doesn't look a very good colour compared with my way.

it would most probably be because it was Thai Beef as always is a lighter colour and no flavour compared to imported beef

Archived