Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

We haven't had a thread lately on steak in Pattaya, so I'll start one.  Any kind of comment on beef steak in a Pattaya restaurant is welcome.  It doesn't have to be about the best or cheapest, it can be about any steak you've had here, whether cheap, expensive, good, bad or mediocre.

IMG_0073.jpg.7e03e9364c04bba3d36affe6a9023f27.jpg

I'll kick it off with the  200 gram (about 7-oz) Australian rib eye special for 459 baht at Longhorn Steakhouse and Cafe in the Central Arcade across from Mike's Mall.  It's the arcade with Kiss, Beefeater, Patrick's and My Way.

IMG_0071.jpg.6281dfb62ddf35a34b3606fc9472e831.jpg

The special included a choice of potato and gravy or one sauce.  I picked mashed potatoes and English mustard, which wasn't a sauce but a small dish of what tasted like real Coleman's Mustard. The rib eye rested on a bed of diced vegetables and came with a slice of grilled tomato.

Untitled-1a.thumb.jpg.729583a5f1e0f812b581b00f4e092d8b.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg.4442f8bc6e8cd2f7a9f145e4c3878315.jpg

I asked for my rib eye to be medium rare and that's exactly how it came.  It had been nicely grilled, tender and had a great taste.  I'm guessing, but I believe it was the equivalent of USDA Choice, the second highest quality designation in the U.S.  The mashed potatoes were also excellent.

IMG_0058.jpg.3790c99d45bd8223e25196d88b988f28.jpg

To top off the meal, I had a vanilla ice cream sundae with caramel sauce for 75 baht.  It could have done with a bit more sauce, but otherwise hit my sweet spot. 

IMG_0069.jpg.8641b1d18889b2ad463078a7e12e8f5c.jpg

I drank soda water (40 baht), but Longhorn had a selection of beers and wine on offer, including Belgian beer.

IMG_0061.jpg.59d5e381b78f5691d23c25e837b61a61.jpg

Longhorn was clean, comfortable and well-lit, which are always key factors.  I ate there at about 8 p.m. and there were 11 other customers when I arrived. Longhorn shouldn't be confused with Big Horn, a long-running steakhouse in the same arcade that closed about three years ago.

IMG_0072.jpg.2864ceb21ccbb2612961ef24802d63a6.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg.fe04c63b7a0fbcc4b19e04f7c63ffc22.jpg

Bottom line:  I won't hesitate to eat at Longhorn again.  Price wise, it seems to occupy the upper middle ground between Steak & Co., Beefeater and Patrick's at the high end and the budget steak places.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent review and photos, as usual. 

Ever consider doing a restaurant guide for Pattaya and selling it on Amazon as a kindle book? Were I traveling to Pattaya, I'd buy that in a second. 

There are loads of good to very good restaurants in pattaya. In my opinion most of them are in between Pattaya and Jomtien. To mention a few: Gian's, Marco's (I think it's called) French Garden restaurant, l'Auberge, Sandbar by the Sea, Aqua Pazza, Nathan's etc.

In Pattaya a hidden gem is restaurant Best Seat (part of the Best Supermarket next to the Dolphin Roundabout). Excellent food, service and very reasonable priced good wines.

Looking forward to next contributions....

Also had a nice steak there!  

Meat very tender and perfectly cooked. 

A bit expensive but we'll worth it. 

The only downside was  the manager, constantly stand up on the terrace.. Looking my reaction when I eating my steak.. Make me feel uncomfortable. 

20180418_211952.jpg

So many steak outlets in thailand asking a premium for a steak and the vast majority if not all of them are serving "frozen" beef.  Thailand does not produce sufficent beef not of great quality so the beef is flown in frozen then sold at ridiculously inflated prices.  Save your steaks for back home.  Here it's pork or chicken if you want fresh produce.  

I can see that you are american (beef lover) and you must like grilled steacks.

If you can cook it by yourself, I'll suggest you the imported rib steacks in Big C Extra (Pattaya Klang). Quiete expensive (700-800 bahts per slide) but you'll can't find better quality in Pattaya !

About restaurant and tasty grilled steack I'll suggest you Hippopotamus in Central Festival Pattaya (6th floor) and you'll have a great view on Pattaya bay. Link: https://www.facebook.com/hippopotamus.thailand/

3 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

There are loads of good to very good restaurants in pattaya. In my opinion most of them are in between Pattaya and Jomtien. To mention a few: Gian's, Marco's (I think it's called) French Garden restaurant, l'Auberge, Sandbar by the Sea, Aqua Pazza, Nathan's etc.

In Pattaya a hidden gem is restaurant Best Seat (part of the Best Supermarket next to the Dolphin Roundabout). Excellent food, service and very reasonable priced good wines.

Looking forward to next contributions....

Yes .. but do they serve a decent steak? (see thread title):D

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Evil - I always enjoy your threads and have nothing, but respect for your observations and opinions. I hope I am not sounding too snobbish with this reply.

I seldom eat red meat, but love a good steak every so often. I probably have one about once a month when in the Pattaya area. That said - I usually go very high end when I do. You mentioned Patrick's as a compare point and said Longhorn was a little short of that. I have had a steak at Patrick's and also at both Beefeaters and Steak and Co. as well. I consider all of them to be roughly equal, but I have a slight preference for Steak and Co. That said, I consider these to be the better of the mid-tier places.

The steaks at both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin are at another level. Granted so is the price point. Good fillets for two, a little wine, an appetizer, a shared desert, and an after dinner drink will probably take you a little North of 4000 at Cafe des Amis.

Steaks

5b8684ff180c7_CafedesAmis-3.thumb.JPG.a8bfd3c10301187aae4d3e3e132f1c64.JPG

Irish Coffee

5b868502d6cbe_CafedesAmis-4.thumb.JPG.ce65418bdb8057e5aed97cd73269fab7.JPG

A fair number of my more frequent cheap eats places I found through your various threads. Thank you.

I ate there the other night - Te steak was excellent and reasonably priced. While  I was the only person occupying a  table across the way, Beefeaters was packed with patrons, some standing waiting for  table to  free up. I found it curious that one restaurant was packed- beefeaters - while the other - Longhorn - was virtually empty !!

I had heard Cafe des Amis was the best restaurant in Pattaya and by the looks of the photos looks excellent.

However, your ability to find these little diamonds in the centre of town, saves time, effort and travelling costs.

Not to mention lighter on the wallet.

Another place added to the memory bank, much obliged. 

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Evil - I always enjoy your threads and have nothing, but respect for your observations and opinions. I hope I am not sounding too snobbish with this reply.

I seldom eat red meat, but love a good steak every so often. I probably have one about once a month when in the Pattaya area. That said - I usually go very high end when I do. You mentioned Patrick's as a compare point and said Longhorn was a little short of that. I have had a steak at Patrick's and also at both Beefeaters and Steak and Co. as well. I consider all of them to be roughly equal, but I have a slight preference for Steak and Co. That said, I consider these to be the better of the mid-tier places.

The steaks at both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin are at another level. Granted so is the price point. Good fillets for two, a little wine, an appetizer, a shared desert, and an after dinner drink will probably take you a little North of 4000 at Cafe des Amis.

Steaks

5b8684ff180c7_CafedesAmis-3.thumb.JPG.a8bfd3c10301187aae4d3e3e132f1c64.JPG

Irish Coffee

5b868502d6cbe_CafedesAmis-4.thumb.JPG.ce65418bdb8057e5aed97cd73269fab7.JPG

A fair number of my more frequent cheap eats places I found through your various threads. Thank you.

Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin are two of our favorite restaurants but not necessarily for the steak alone.

We do not use Cafe' des Amis as much as we would like as they have two seatings each evening, invariably this means we would be pressurized if taking the early sitting as we do not like eating late, whilst not wishing to eat till 7pm we feel somewhat rushed.  In Pattaya when expecting a bill in excess of 200GBP+ I like to be able to relax and enjoy the company and food at my leisure.

I have just looked it up and despite its annoying website we will visit there in the next couple of days. Are bookings required?

54 minutes ago, Czmate said:

Suprised nobody has mentioned Akavit in Jomtien Beach road always a good reasonably priced option.

29 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I have just looked it up and despite its annoying website we will visit there in the next couple of days. Are bookings required?

Don’t know about their website but bookings not normally needed and the foods not bad at all.

7 hours ago, jones78 said:

After I been to Beefeaters there is no other for me.

I agree with u on that one. I not often eat steaks while I am in Pattaya, but if I do it's always at Beefeater. The peppersteam there is some of the best steaks that I have ever had. 

2 hours ago, PBear66 said:

I had heard Cafe des Amis was the best restaurant in Pattaya and by the looks of the photos looks excellent.

My favorite two places for a "higher" end experience are Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin. Very different ambiances. I like them both, but do not splurge at that level all that often. Maybe 3 times a month or so.

7 hours ago, gimmesum said:

So many steak outlets in thailand asking a premium for a steak and the vast majority if not all of them are serving "frozen" beef.  Thailand does not produce sufficent beef not of great quality so the beef is flown in frozen then sold at ridiculously inflated prices.  Save your steaks for back home.  Here it's pork or chicken if you want fresh produce.  

Do the food folk agree with this? ....likely to have been frozen?

Never heard it mentioned before.

41 minutes ago, Potato83 said:

I agree with u on that one. I not often eat steaks while I am in Pattaya, but if I do it's always at Beefeater. The peppersteam there is some of the best steaks that I have ever had. 

Well there we are different. Because im very fond of steak. Cheap in Pattaya. Expensive in Norway.

11 hours ago, mlay said:

Also had a nice steak there!  

Meat very tender and perfectly cooked. 

A bit expensive but we'll worth it. 

The only downside was  the manager, constantly stand up on the terrace.. Looking my reaction when I eating my steak.. Make me feel uncomfortable. 

20180418_211952.jpg

can't understand why they put the steak on top of veggies or chips or mash !!  usually have to take it off to cut it especially mash ! think they are artists or something should spend more time refining their cooking skills ( not all but most )

3 hours ago, Czmate said:

Don’t know about their website but bookings not normally needed and the foods not bad at all.

"Foods not bad at all" isn't very convincing. Did just have a look at the website and as Cerberus mentioned, it is a bit annoying. Also promoting a hot dog on the opening page. 555. Menu does look decent with many steak options, so will give it a try as I'm always looking at trying somewhere new....

Screenshot_20180829-105318_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, onehunglo said:

can't understand why they put the steak on top of veggies or chips or mash !!  usually have to take it off to cut it especially mash ! think they are artists or something should spend more time refining their cooking skills ( not all but most )

Fully agree. When I was still in the restaurant business, I'd tell my chef that the cooks can lean, but not stack. Hated taking the steak off vegetables buried in mashed potatoes! 

33 minutes ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

Fully agree. When I was still in the restaurant business, I'd tell my chef that the cooks can lean, but not stack. Hated taking the steak off vegetables buried in mashed potatoes! 

yes , does my head in . also when i worked running a restaurant a customer asked for a rack of lamb .Well the chef cooked it in the micro wave then browned it on the gril THEN he cut it into 4 french cutlets , now when i took it out , the customer queried this and stated the obvious at NO promting from me . took it back and he told me to tell him to get fucked so i took the customer to him ! got his money back but i copped the blame for setting it up as i am a Butcher and know the rules . once cut no longer a rack . end story the customer was no fool .

i went to the  Golf Club and they had changed their beef eye fillet for a cheap cut of pork , they think your stupid , i refused to pay and walked off , i payed my drinks but not the steak , another place on the dark side tried the same , i've never been back to either

Archived