IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

i know this is not steak but wanted to share my experience tonight

i had a pork fillet cordon bleu , mashed potatoes , veges 295baht . tasty , tender and very filling . could not fault in any way . i followed this with apple pie and custard 100baht ... thumbs up ! 

my first enjoyable meal in a week except for breakfast at Nicky's the other day

the restaurant of concern is THE HAVEN  Guesthouse and Restaurant , ' a taste of thailand ' on soi Lengkee next to family mart .

You should give them a go , staff very helpful and obliging 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_0100.jpg.fcfc010028adaf49b9e27c47f8908cbb.jpg

Through the years, La Petite Planete, a small French restaurant next to Tukcom, has proved to be one of the more dependable places for steak. 

IMG_0099.jpg.9de09289df9ff690867abe938e247cc9.jpg

It's local Thai-French beef, but from a good source, and it's prepared properly. I've been eating it for over 10 years.

C.jpg.e107e9dd4b2f7d8a550237693bf82b80.jpg

Last night I had the entrecôte as part of the three-course set menu that offers a choice of starter, main and dessert. The set menu costs 320 baht, but there's an extra 50 baht added when it includes entrecôte, so the total was 370 for starter, main and dessert. 

G.jpg.81dfb9b940cf44e9bb8026ef4ebe5558.jpg

It was a fair-sized piece of meat, at least 300 grams. I'm not sure, but I believe it was contre-filet, cut from the sirloin. Of course it wasn't as tender as USDA Prime, but it was tender along the lines of USDA Choice.  It had been cooked as ordered, medium rare, with a well-browned surface.  The grill is hot enough at LPP.

L.jpg.af3add008ec29e1fe9b487aa521a6bbe.jpg

The sides were mashed potatoes (I could have had fries or croquettes),  a boat of red wine and peppercorn sauce and mixed vegetables.   The potatoes and veggies were fined. but too many peppercorns had been used in the sauce, which gave it a sharp taste I didn't like.

B.jpg.bb633abad45b13ed1281cbf0285a76aa.jpg

I had chicken curry salad as my starter ...

D.jpg.59a306035970091efbb155d6405a3c46.jpg

and Peach Melba as my dessert.

J.jpg.f3227bec87a17559eb0f43fae54be055.jpg

Both were good but unremarkable. I thought the chef been a bit stingy with the raspberry sauce on the Peach Melba.  Homemade pâté is the best starter at LPP, but pâté and steak in the same meal are too rich for my system. 

Bottom line:  LPP's entrecôte has rated a solid "A" every time I've had it in the past ten years.  That's a impressive record in a town plagued by restaurant inconsistency.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Nice report, I do not eat much western food when in LOS but do on occasion like a steak Tukcom is not too far from my "digs" so I may give this a try in December as it does seem good quality and value. Many thanks for your great input.

Many thanks again. Is it on Tai or up the soi beside Tukcom??

www.sugarcanemafia.com

The soi  off Pattaya Tai on the west side of Tukcom, about at the south end of Tukcom.

Evil

The beef steak in Kiss restaurant is rubbery and has a weird taste. Wonder if it’s Buffalo meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

1 hour ago, raviinc said:

The beef steak in Kiss restaurant is rubbery and has a weird taste. Wonder if it’s Buffalo meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard it is dog meat purchased from the Soi dog meat company.

I have heard it is dog meat purchased from the Soi dog meat company.
Damn wtf, is this a thing? Reminds me of traveling through rural China with my father and eating from the street carts. I are a suspicious hot dog on a stick and asked my father what it was. He answered with a grin "Don't ask" 555

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I are a suspicious hot dog on a stick and asked my father what it was. He answered with a grin "Don't ask" 555

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

You could say the same thing about some of the breakfast sausages served in Pattaya. I know opinions will always vary, but it is beyond me how anyone could eat some of the sausages I have seen on breakfast plates.

Evil

Sent from my Sunny2 Plus using Tapatalk

On 10/2/2018 at 10:41, Evil Penevil said:

The soi  off Pattaya Tai on the west side of Tukcom, about at the south end of Tukcom.

Evil

I have noticed your complementary posts on LPP and it is on my very short list to try. Do you know if they are open for lunch? I looked at their FB page, but it did not really say. I was thinking something light, like that Chicken Curry Salad in your pic might round out some shopping in the area (Tuk.Com and Benjamet's coffee).

tia,

CF

21 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

You could say the same thing about some of the breakfast sausages served in Pattaya. I know opinions will always vary, but it is beyond me how anyone could eat some of the sausages I have seen on breakfast plates.

Evil

Sent from my Sunny2 Plus using Tapatalk

If you are passing Chow Soy on the Poon give their snags a try, thoughly recommend

www.sugarcanemafia.com

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have noticed your complementary posts on LPP and it is on my very short list to try. Do you know if they are open for lunch?

Yes, there are open for lunch, but I'm not sure of the exact time. I want to say 11.00 am, but I'm not sure. They have salads, soups, and omelettes as well.

LPP is closed on Tuesdays.

Evil

• 5 weeks later...

Steak & Co on soi Lengkee seems to have a new set of Specials, but I'm not very impressed.

Firstly, here are some previous Early Bird Specials, which applied in the afternoon only, in mid-2017:

58dfc6e03.jpg.81ec1f032c19f3a8d4b3ef4b071d0543.jpg

As you can see , there are some quite good reductions for diners at times when I guess there were plenty of empty tables.  I thought these Specials were worth getting out of bed for.

In late 2017 Steak & Co changed their Specials structure to All Day Specials, which were available in the evening as well.  Understandably for specials applying in peak hours, the reductions weren't very much and I lost interest at that point.

Very recently Steak & Co has announced new Early Bird Specials, applying in afternoon only:

1811479519_SteakCoEBSpecials.jpg.6b2ead27b50c17764be7df3ad21fe664.jpg

but sadly I'm not very impressed by this pricing.  The reductions aren't much, and I won't be making a special effort to get to Steak & Co in the afternoon.  If the intention of offering special afternoon pricing is to fill otherwise empty tables in the afternoon, I think these prices will be a failure and few new diners, who would not otherwise visit, will be tempted into afternoon tables.

I would have structured the Early Bird Specials to apply only strictly in the hours 2pm-5pm, when I expect the dining room is almost empty, and I would have cut prices more steeply than those shown.  It's a shame that Steak & Co have not offered something more tempting with these Early Bird Specials.

Im only going to say that Steak & Co + the guys other place Smokin Joes obviously just keep on pushing up their prices to increase their profits.

Remember S&C buy their steaks from Australia and the AUS$ is way down against the THB so their steaks cost them less than before !

SJ put its price for Ice Lemon Tea from 70 baht to 120 baht but shit there aint no world shortage of Lemons, Ice or Tea and they scrapped their daily specials !

Its up to guys to decide when both places just become to expensive to bother with, Ive decided that they are, but I can only speak for myself.

Not saying the foods not good, just got way to expensive without justification other than price gouging

• 4 months later...
IMG_0107C.jpg.e2f32ab0f6ff522add81d95d05a4a697.jpg

Surprise! (aka Surprise BBQ) is best known for its U.S.-style BBQ beef and pork ribs at bargain prices, but it also has steaks, burgers, skewers and chicken on its menu..  It's located  near the intersection of  Soi Buakhao and Soi 21, across the street from the north end of Tree Town and around the corner from the Chunky Monkey.

IMG_0091.jpg.b6861d059dc8b56e5bdfb3afe342415d.jpg

It's a very small restaurant with only three tables (two tables for four and one for two), plus counter seats for about six more.  It's popular, which means it's often crowded.  It's not a comfortable place to have a meal, but the decent food at cheap prices have won it a loyal customer base.  Two ladies handle the cooking and two more the serving,  which means wait times for your food can be long.

IMG_0090.jpg.1a97abdbd7690c4f309005c17dca0f7b.jpg

Because Surprise! is so cramped, I've mostly had ribs for takeaway, but that's a topic for a separate post.  Yesterday I tried the rib eye steak steak at 169 baht. It came with a  handful of thick-cut fries, two onion rings, a dish of brown sauce and a dollop of salad.

IMG_0102.jpg.af0850360c607fa71ee41fff4a5a5b63.jpg

I asked for my steak to be cooked medium rare, but I got it medium.  It was Thai beef. but not tough.  The menu and a sign says its "AA" grade beef, but I'm not sure what grading scale is being used.  Canada has a scale with letter-A ratings and "AA"  would be the equivalent of  lower-end U.S. Choice.   For the price, it was O.K.  

IMG_0106.jpg.393a77554f51b4f408031edf9dbc4ec0.jpg

The fries could have been a bit crisper for my taste.  The onion rings, which I can easily live without, were O.K. and the salad was fresh. It hadn't been sitting slathered in dressing all day. The sauce was supposed to be pepper or mushroom, but had no flavor at all. At least it was served on the side and not poured on top of the meat.

Bottom line:  The rib eye steak was O.K., certainly not great, but you can't expect a great steak for 169 baht.  The sides were a mixed lot, ranging from good salad through middling fries and onion rings to a poor sauce.

My main reservation about Surprise! centers on the cramped quarters, which more or less rules it out for me as a place to have a meal.  You are almost sitting on top of the other customers.  Not only can you hear every word they say, but every sound they make, including chewing, burps and farts.  If they haven't had a recent shower, you can sure smell them. In the future, I'll continue to use Surprise! for takeaway.

Almost worth noting for anyone with mobility problems.  There is a very narrow set of stairs leading up to Surprise! which would be difficult for some to manage.

It's open from 2.30 or 3.00 p.m. (the menu and sign give different times) to 10.00 p.m., but opening hours seem quite flexible. It often closes earlier than 10.00 p.m., probably because they have run out of food. It's closed Sundays.

Evil

I've included photos of some  of the menu pages to give a better idea of what's available and the prices charged.

IMG_0101.jpg.d438d0b3bc9c733bdc41cefa898c4ef9.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg.fe174d08702e19ebab1b404d6029a066.jpgIMG_0099.jpg.c6967a7d8dc17b3b0f9dd3380df30e86.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg.0e7edf06932f94f3a6e2e967830b82b1.jpg

^ Been there a couple of times myself, cheap and cheerfull but i liked what i had, it wasnt all that busy when i went so i got served fairly quickly, it is small though and not for those who like spacious surroundings.

Ultimately, would i go again.....Yes.

Archived