Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

20 hours ago, baddog666 said:

That is a sort of specialized meal best to be had in places that gear toward the UK crowd

The restaurant does gear to the UK crowd the restaurant is owned by a Brit nearly all the items on the menu you would find in a UK cafe apart from the Thai food.

The owner used to run a cafe in the UK and just transported the menu to Pattaya.

By the way you don’t get more British than a roast dinner so you would totally expect to find this on the menu of a restaurant run by a Brit in Pattaya which predominantly sells British Tucker 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried again with ribeye but cooked the fat out of it a bit more than usual....just a shade under well done....and enjoyed it.

they say you must be some sort of philistine to have a steak that isn't rare or medium....and that suits me just fine.

3 hours ago, Pheat said:

The restaurant does gear to the UK crowd the restaurant is owned by a Brit nearly all the items on the menu you would find in a UK cafe apart from the Thai food.

The owner used to run a cafe in the UK and just transported the menu to Pattaya.

By the way you don’t get more British than a roast dinner so you would totally expect to find this on the menu of a restaurant run by a Brit in Pattaya which predominantly sells British Tucker 

Of all the times I have eaten there, I have never seen a Farang owner/manager present.  Strangely , of all the times I have eaten breakfast  , which was quite a bit  ,  I never noticed many people eating the  full English breakfast either.....   

IMO..the larger and more diverse a menu is , the more chance of some of those items being mediocre .

I would hardly consider their menu to be British any more than most restaurants geared toward the Western palate .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

12 minutes ago, baddog666 said:

Of all the times I have eaten there, I have never seen a Farang owner/manager present.  Strangely , of all the times I have eaten breakfast  , which was quite a bit  ,  I never noticed many people eating the  full English breakfast either.....   

IMO..the larger and more diverse a menu is , the more chance of some of those items being mediocre .

I would hardly consider their menu to be British any more than most restaurants geared toward the Western palate .

Any food establishment that tries to cover all bases puts me off. Keep it simple, keep it good.

I look at a lot of these reviews and it still makes me think Jasmines on Pattaya Klang is the best for value, quality and ambience.

Thai dishes are very good for a farang palette. 

Any food establishment that tries to cover all bases puts me off. Keep it simple, keep it good.

I look at a lot of these reviews and it still makes me think Jasmines on Pattaya Klang is the best for value, quality and ambience.

Thai dishes are very good for a farang palette. 

Jasmines looks good when i pass but full of tourists. Pitinis has been popular with expats for a long time, food generally good and reasonable prices, drinks not so much

Jasmines is good but it's almost the top-rated cheaper restaurant on Tripadvisor so it gets more crowded than the food IMO really deserves.  IMO there's nothing wrong with it but there's not much special about either, and I think it attracts newbie Tripadvisor tourists who are glad they've found a restaurant that doesn't Poison them, so they rate it highly, thus attracting more newbie tourists who'll end up rating it highly.  Nice virtuous circle to get into.  When you next go there look at the other customers, and ask yourself whether you think it's their first time in town.

An example of the opposite would be Toto coffee on Pattaya Tai, which is full of obvious expats, most of whom probably live within a couple of hundred metres.

Point taken and you are right about the largely transient customer base.

However, good and reasonable is good and reasonable and i couldn't care less if i was sitting beside a mountain gorilla as long as the grub is good.

Sitting in a restaurant full of ex pats isn't a recommendation in my book and i have meet some younger travellers from all over the world in Jasmine's.

Plus Jasmine is absolutely stunning herself even though her French partner can't be bothered to acknowledge anyone.

Give the Pad ka Prao a go in Jasmines for 99 baht. I thought it was very good. 

6 minutes ago, PBear66 said:

Sitting in a restaurant full of ex pats isn't a recommendation in my book

No I agree, and if I implied that I didn't mean to.  The ambiance in Toto Coffee is cheap Thai classics, most of the guys seem to know each other, it's cheap charlie heaven but surprisingly welcoming.  Imagine a clubhouse for a seemingly unchanging cast of financially challenged grumpy miserable guys wearing sandals and cargo shorts that haven't been washed for months.

2 hours ago, baddog666 said:

Of all the times I have eaten there, I have never seen a Farang owner/manager present

So what you saying?

i am making it up the owner is from the UK?

Go in the restaurant between about 7.00-9.00 PM he normally pops in if not you will be able to find him in Rosie’s Soi7 his other gaff which also has a predominantly British menu where  the food is better quality in my opinion but is about 30% more expensive.

Have you ever been to the UK and eaten in a cafe?

22 minutes ago, Pheat said:

So what you saying?

i am making it up the owner is from the UK?

Go in the restaurant between about 7.00-9.00 PM he normally pops in if not you will be able to find him in Rosie’s Soi7 his other gaff which also has a predominantly British menu where  the food is better quality in my opinion but is about 30% more expensive.

Have you ever been to the UK and eaten in a cafe?

I don't doubt what you wrote, I just have never considered it a " British Style " restaurant.

I have never been to the UK other than a transit through Heathrow , and quite honestly I have no Desire to.  

I write about what I see.....

1 minute ago, baddog666 said:

British Style " restaurant.

Almost every single item on the menu apart from the Thai food is what you would find on a typical cafe menu in the UK.

The restaurant is very good at what it does slightly above average food at reasonable prices in an AC environment with decent WiFi and comfortable seating..

i visit at least a couple of times a week sometimes just for a coffee to get out of the heat for 30/45 Minutes .

You often can not get a seat in high season a very popular cafe.

Quite a few posters on the punter boards- and even more in the Facebook food groups-  have U.K. transport cafes as their benchmark of culinary excellence.   That's a general observation; I'm not referring to any posters in this thread.  

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

How did a steak thread turn into a discussion about UK cafes?

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, hioctane said:

How did a steak thread turn into a discussion about UK cafes?

I think it began by that rather sketchy looking steak from Pitini that was posted..... 55555

Anyone who does not live in or is from UK , probably has little idea what a UK Cafe is...

I would venture to guess that there good ones and some not so good since " cafe " is a pretty generic term.

Back to subject.... one of my girls took me to Sante Fe Steak in Central , I wasn't thrilled about the choice, but I generally give her what she wants....

My steak was pathetic , thin and flavorless and my side of fries/chips consisted of about 6 pieces.

Not recommended.

I think it began by that rather sketchy looking steak from Pitini that was posted..... 55555
Anyone who does not live in or is from UK , probably has little idea what a UK Cafe is...
I would venture to guess that there good ones and some not so good since " cafe " is a pretty generic term.
Back to subject.... one of my girls took me to Sante Fe Steak in Central , I wasn't thrilled about the choice, but I generally give her what she wants....
My steak was pathetic , thin and flavorless and my side of fries/chips consisted of about 6 pieces.
Not recommended.

I have been to Santa Fe Steak. It wasn't horrible but it is what it is. It is more of a fast food restaurant. It is cheap and the portions are small. What did you expect for 100-150 baht??

5 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I have been to Santa Fe Steak. It wasn't horrible but it is what it is. It is more of a fast food restaurant. It is cheap and the portions are small. What did you expect for 100-150 baht??

If it was that cheap , I would be fine with it......... pretty sure for 2 people  it was well over 600 B .....  

It seems the majority of BM's are from the UK , so this is no surprise..... not to insult an entire nation.... but British cuisine ....... really ?
I agree Pitini is more a British place, certainly not American, Indian or Aussie. One of the original partners who left a while back was English

If I get a hankering for a steak when in town in a few weeks I'll be heading to steak & co, based purely on the steak & co bod who took the trouble to post helpful comments..you have won my dollar squire!

12 minutes ago, rope-a-dope said:

If I get a hankering for a steak when in town in a few weeks I'll be heading to steak & co, based purely on the steak & co bod who took the trouble to post helpful comments..you have won my dollar squire!

Didn't go unnoticed by me either. Very knowledgeable, will try their beef wellington next time i am in town. 

If it was that cheap , I would be fine with it......... pretty sure for 2 people  it was well over 600 B .....  
I was referring to just the steak itself. I believe the drink was included. Even if not, it would still be around 200 baht.

Most steak places are like 600 baht just for the steak!

5 hours ago, hioctane said:

I was referring to just the steak itself. I believe the drink was included. Even if not, it would still be around 200 baht.

Most steak places are like 600 baht just for the steak!

600B is not expensive provided it is a quality steak.... last time I was in Ruth's Chris , most steaks on the menu were 1500B and up ( converted prices )  I think my ribeye was closer to 2000 B and worth every penny.

600B is not expensive provided it is a quality steak.... last time I was in Ruth's Chris , most steaks on the menu were 1500B and up ( converted prices )  I think my ribeye was closer to 2000 B and worth every penny.
Relatively speaking of course.. You are in Pattaya and not NYC! Let's not get into a debate of what "expensive" is.

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Relatively speaking of course.. You are in Pattaya and not NYC! Let's not get into a debate of what "expensive" is.

No debate , just accept my opinion that my steak at Sante Fe  sucked.   Remember..... you started the discussion  55555

On 2018-09-05 at 18:26, baddog666 said:

....Back to subject.... one of my girls took me to Sante Fe Steak in Central , I wasn't thrilled about the choice, but I generally give her what she wants....

Not recommended.

17 hours ago, hioctane said:

I tried a promo steak at Santa Fe at about 150 baht, meat was just ok, but minimal sides and no french fries!

Plahgat

5b9209e44a89d_santafe.jpg.0db5af85f5a8731536d856ee75559658.jpg

When no money... she no give honey! 

Took Lae Dee at Foodland has some cheap steak dishes at around 200-300 baht that includes a small sallad and fries,

although I have found the meat to be a bit undercooked at times!

Plahgat

5b920c42a3036_TookLaeDee.jpeg.10768fa0be96ca35f4e28f29d81f2f58.jpeg

When no money... she no give honey! 

Archived