IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, onehunglo said:

can't understand why they put the steak on top of veggies or chips or mash !!  usually have to take it off to cut it especially mash ! think they are artists or something should spend more time refining their cooking skills ( not all but most )

They should also learn that the steak marker/toothpick flag should always go in the corner of the steak , preferably in a seam not dead center in the meat.  I have often seen where the server will remove the marker when the steak is served , of course , fine restaurants don't use them at all or they are removed out of sight of the customer.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Done Beefeater and Longhorn and both are decent depending on the cut of beef you choose.

Have tried Hippopotamus to and it's ok

My favorite at this point has to be Steak and Co.

They have Waygu beef on the menu and even though it is more expensive I find the flavor and tenderness is amazing

That beef melts in your mouth and was easily the best steak I have had in Pattaya yet

96_C6_B556-0_BA1-4730-853_C-_BF1_FF0_B5_

38 minutes ago, Czmate said:

Akavit

9BB78D05-5700-4C39-8DB3-5452F7FDC3A0.jpeg

E7FD24D8-74D3-498E-9045-86847D422088.jpeg

7C91EF5B-3F58-45D7-B6E6-19762C6A413E.jpeg

3739F742-6D51-4624-8C27-34C302399D3C.jpeg

looks like more art some one is practicing + trying to draw a cock on your plate ! 5555 not for me i'd rather go to the place that used to be called La Katai on so lengkee heaps better value , good service , and steaks always edible

ChiFlyer, how would the steak at Au Bon Coin and Cafe des Amis compare to Chicago’s Chop House, Capital Grille or Ruth’s Chris’?

If I'm not mistaken, this was at steak and co...
tried a bit of everything and other than the pork which was too chewy/rubbery, everything was great.
Steaks are juicy and tasty.
I hear the Mantra also has delicious steaks but only went once due to the price tag and had sea food instead.

IMG_20170407_213824.jpg

One of my slight concerns about moving to Pattaya is that, unless i can exercise self control, i may end up being wheeled about in a shopping trolley due to weight gain.

I would call that a mixed grill. For 2.

Beef wellington in Steak and Co. is meant to be very good.

12 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The steaks at both Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin are at another level. Granted so is the price point. Good fillets for two, a little wine, an appetizer, a shared desert, and an after dinner drink will probably take you a little North of 4000 at Cafe des Amis.

And you can get the same in a decent restaurant in my home town in the UK for a little more than half that price.

Cheaper to live in Thailand? Not at those prices.

Akavit

9BB78D05-5700-4C39-8DB3-5452F7FDC3A0.thumb.jpeg.012f4c9cf5d1984cefedd3447b3e1c18.jpeg
E7FD24D8-74D3-498E-9045-86847D422088.thumb.jpeg.4cd89f5f390cdeee0bb15c591eff578b.jpeg
7C91EF5B-3F58-45D7-B6E6-19762C6A413E.thumb.jpeg.480a6d7fb7f391b2415f37085e6d2f26.jpeg
3739F742-6D51-4624-8C27-34C302399D3C.thumb.jpeg.2918a7e92b936bf1232f2a4382fbcd9f.jpeg

Please tell me that's not an ashtray , in the last photo ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Patty Boy said:

And you can get the same in a decent restaurant in my home town in the UK for a little more than half that price.

Must be cheap living in the UK. :)

The quality of the dinner I described would cost about $200 USD or 6000 baht in the US. BrExit must be working well. :)

6 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

I tend to agree.

I have been to Akavit. It is ok, but there are other places nearby in the same price range that I like better. Sandbar by the Sea comes to mind.

what do you guys reckon is the best cut for a steak?

Im after soft and tender, hate gristle....like fat but not whole strips of it.

I enjoy tenderloin but  a butcher I know says its the worst for flavour.

6 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Deal breaker for me that's for sure, I never eat out anywhere where they allow smoking in the dining area. I am not busting anyone's chops for being a smoker, I am an adult and can decide if I want to stay and often do in bars etc. The one place I will never stay is where smoking is allowed in the same area that I am eating, totally unacceptable to me.

8 hours ago, jones78 said:

Its Scandinavian. It was popular earlier with hot dog. In the 80-90`s.

That's fine but I wouldn't have it on the opening website page of my higher end restaurant. Just my personal opinion of course. 

P.s  80's and 90's are sadly long gone. 

12 minutes ago, Autoroam said:

what do you guys reckon is the best cut for a steak?

Im after soft and tender, hate gristle....like fat but not whole strips of it.

I enjoy tenderloin but  a butcher I know says its the worst for flavour.

Ribeye for me. Preferably a nice dry aged bone-in Ribeye. The best combination of tenderness and flavor. A bit of fat through it but that's what helps the flavor. If tenderness is your main goal, then tenderloin. If flavor and you can't deal with the fat, then striploin. 

How you like your steak cooked should also help your decision. If you like close to well done, then ribeye is a good choice as most of the fat will be cooked out of it as opposed to a tenderloin as it will lose most of its flavor and become chewy becoming a waste of money in my opinion. Closer to rare, a tenderloin will still have good flavor and be very tender and the ribeye will still have lots of the fat content in it, so maybe not a good choice for the ones not liking the fat in their steak. 

The reason tenderloin is so tender is because it is the only muscle in the whole of the animals body that does no work at all from the day it is born until the day it dies. But by being that way it has no chance to develop any flavour, hence the need to season tenderloin more than say a striploin or rump, or rib eye.

3 hours ago, Patty Boy said:

Cheaper to live in Thailand? Not at those prices.

It is probably still cheaper to live in Thailand than the UK and its nice to be able to afford what you can afford. I have to admit that although everyone is entitled to their choices there is not much doubt most steak served in Thailand is frozen. Now I acknowledge there is a feasible argument regarding vegetables being frozen close to harvest actually being "newer" than fresh vegetables you buy in a supermarket, there cannot be any doubt a "steak" in Thailand has little chance of resembling a local source and all these aficionados are only comparing frozen over priced product!

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Must be cheap living in the UK. :)

The quality of the dinner I described would cost about $200 USD or 6000 baht in the US. BrExit must be working well. :)

I lived in Northern England which is considerably cheaper than London and it's environs. less than 1000 baht for a single main course.

Brexit has had a noticeable effect, as it has caused the GBP to tank and, as my earnings are all in GBP has left me with much less disposable income, here in Thailand. I certainly didn't come to live in Thailand to save money.

4 hours ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

That's fine but I wouldn't have it on the opening website page of my higher end restaurant. Just my personal opinion of course. 

P.s  80's and 90's are sadly long gone. 

I know. But maybe the guy who is decideing this maybe thinks we still are there. :-)

On 29/08/2018 at 14:25, gimmesum said:

So many steak outlets in thailand asking a premium for a steak and the vast majority if not all of them are serving "frozen" beef.  Thailand does not produce sufficent beef not of great quality so the beef is flown in frozen then sold at ridiculously inflated prices.  Save your steaks for back home.  Here it's pork or chicken if you want fresh produce.  

If your talking about outlets such as Santa Fe or Sizzlers then the answer is almost certainly yes the Beef would have been frozen at some point before reaching the customer. However restaurants such as myself (Steak & Co), Patrick's, Cafe Des Amis etc purchase 'chilled Beef' usually from Australia or the USA, other countries such as New Zealand or Argentina were not shipped via airfreight and  frozen thus we never offered Beef from those countries,  I do understand there maybe chilled Argentine & Spanish beef available now.  Most frozen beef is of a slightly lower quality and it makes economical sense to freeze it, more expensive and better farmed beef is usually sold chilled as it commands a higher price at market (grain fed, perhaps a marble score, Angus, Black Angus, Wagyu cattle etc). Right now there's a drought in Australia forcing chilled Beef prices up, if a supplier already has a mountain of frozen Beef they will be in a good position to supply restaurants who are looking to make savings or can't raise their prices. 

The bottom line is 'usually' you get what you pay for, if the Beef is grain fed for 150-500 days, its slaughtered and butchered by a reputable farm, sent chilled by airfreight it's going to be reflected in the price you pay. If your paying under 500-600 baht baht for a 'prime cut'  (sirloin, ribeye, fillet) it was probably frozen at some point. I can't speak from experience for the restaurants I mentioned but the only piece of meat we ever buy frozen is 'short-loin' for T-Bone steaks, it has to be frozen first in-order to be cut into individual steaks by a band saw, once cut it's moved to the chiller.  

4 hours ago, LuvThaiPussy said:

Ribeye for me. Preferably a nice dry aged bone-in Ribeye. The best combination of tenderness and flavor. A bit of fat through it but that's what helps the flavor. If tenderness is your main goal, then tenderloin. If flavor and you can't deal with the fat, then striploin. 

How you like your steak cooked should also help your decision. If you like close to well done, then ribeye is a good choice as most of the fat will be cooked out of it as opposed to a tenderloin as it will lose most of its flavor and become chewy becoming a waste of money in my opinion. Closer to rare, a tenderloin will still have good flavor and be very tender and the ribeye will still have lots of the fat content in it, so maybe not a good choice for the ones not liking the fat in their steak. 

thats good info.....think i might try a rib eye...medium well....I hate chewing too mut

how would you do a striploin?

For some cheap fastfood steaks on the go, I love Jeffer Steak!:wink::P

Two kinds of steak of your choice, mixed sallad and a Watermelon Shake all in for less than 400 baht!

Plahgat

Jeffersteak.jpeg.faf7418b50b9ad3fe91e187799b8a1fc.jpeg

When no money... she no give honey! 

Just tried a ribeye medium well.....expensive cut too....didnt like it....too much chewy gristle...I cant swallow that shit.

Will stick to the pussy cuts...tenderloin.

18 hours ago, jones78 said:

Its Scandinavian. It was popular earlier with hot dog. In the 80-90`s.

Perhaps because nobody can afford to eat steak in Norway?

Archived