Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak in Pattaya

Evil Penevil

10 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Please tell me that's not an ashtray , in the last photo ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

I have to say I haven’t noticed smoking there and it is quite an open place with separate AC area. Not being a smoker myself I appreciate the comments and can say I wouldn’t like it if someone started near me.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Autoroam said:

thats good info.....think i might try a rib eye...medium well....I hate chewing too mut

how would you do a striploin?

Striploin is a firm cut / texture with little fat running through the meat (unless it's higher end Prime or Wagyu) so usually rare to medium-rare, well marbled cuts such as Ribeye are suitable for medium or higher if required, fillet the leanest is best blue, rare or at most medium-rare, in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Autoroam said:

what do you guys reckon is the best cut for a steak?

Im after soft and tender, hate gristle....like fat but not whole strips of it.

I enjoy tenderloin but  a butcher I know says its the worst for flavour.

My favourites:

- Porterhouse for flavour

- Hanger steak for tenderness

- Tomahawk steak (Bone in rib eye) for combination of both although expensive. 

On my to try list: Tri tip

8 hours ago, Autoroam said:

thats good info.....think i might try a rib eye...medium well....I hate chewing too mut

how would you do a striploin?

I prefer all red meat cooked rare to medium rare. Maybe medium with a lamb rack. As opposed to the tenderloin, you can cook the striploin more than medium and it'll still hold some decent flavor. 

Too bad about your attempt at the ribeye. You don't have to eat the fat. Some people cut around it and just eat the meat. 

Last night I tried the Saturday steak special at Cafe Pitini on Soi Buakhao for 289 baht.  You could choose between sirloin and T-bone steak.  You also had a choice of potato (mashed, fried or fries),  vegetable (peas or mixed veggies) and sauce (mushroom or peppercorn).  The onion rings came with any option.  I asked the waitress to grind black pepper on my meal.

IMG_0124.jpg.0861cd81837f65f4b4850ca54d6cc93d.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg.0d7c6a026780dd27ffaf477a1c552086.jpg

The menu made clear it was local beef.  It didn't give a weight, but I'm guessing it was around 200 grams (about 7 oz.).  It sure did come with a big portion of peas.  The potatoes, peas and sauce were fine, but the onion rings were soggy and greasy.  I didn't eat them.

IMG_0131.jpg.cde3fa01e7b10e7c78b266094a32f874.jpg

I asked for the sirloin medium rare and part of it was while the rest was medium or well done without any pink at all.  That was a bit strange, as the steak was uniformly thick.  Maybe the temperature of The Grill surface wasn't evenly hot?  I don't know. As can be expected from Thai beef, the meat had a fair amount of connective tissue and gristle but little fat.  It wasn't tender but it wasn't tough, either.

IMG_0133.jpg.5398af2b4167bd8b2c6e4e13244fc9de.jpgIMG_0133.jpg.fa2d674fa16b4f4e29228cf97eccbe78.jpgI

I know perfectly well Thai beef will never be as tender as imported beef and I adjusted my expectations accordingly.  What surprised me the most was the steak at Pitini didn't have much flavor.  One positive with Thai beef is it usually has a clear beef taste. 

Bottom line:  The meals I've had at Cafe Pitini have been very good on the whole.  The steak special was my only disappointment so far and it wasn't all that bad. I'll definitely be back to Pitini, but not for the steak special.  I paid 289 baht at Pitini for my sirloin dinner while imported Australian rib eye cost me 459 baht.  I'd rather pay extra for quality beef.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

These are Thai/french bone in Ribeyes 1 kilo each from Bic C extra 645 a steak. The farang manager assured me they were nice and we would not be disapointed and he was correct great flavor and while not at tender as say US beef they were not bad and not chewy at all very nice .20170911_145140.thumb.jpg.e6288588b61489d00f88aed5751b580c.jpg20170911_161546.thumb.jpg.2cfcbfe1034c40480e62cbcab274c059.jpg15052728766570.jpg.fbe5d396817e6df6ecae2731e5f5b253.jpg

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

41 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

These are Thai/french bone in Ribeyes 1 kilo each from Bic C extra 645 a steak. The farang manager assured me they were nice and we would not be disapointed and he was correct great flavor and while not at tender as say US beef they were not bad and not chewy at all very nice .20170911_145140.thumb.jpg.e6288588b61489d00f88aed5751b580c.jpg20170911_161546.thumb.jpg.2cfcbfe1034c40480e62cbcab274c059.jpg15052728766570.jpg.fbe5d396817e6df6ecae2731e5f5b253.jpg

in australia they are called rib-eye on bone , without bone they are called rib fillet , scotch fillet and jewish fillet ........ the reason why it is called Jewish fillet is that the devout jewish religion does not allow one to eat hindquarter meat because it is classed as unclean . As where Eye Fillet comes from . So they call the Rib Fillet  ........ Jewish Fillet . same with rump steak, topside round (Flank),, silverside , legs of lamb ., chump chops ( the rump of a leg of lamb ). also no pork at all including bacon . All a no go .

in aussie butchers sometimes call it Texas T-bones  ( when it has the bone in it )

56 minutes ago, Soi7 said:

only real way to go , cook at home , i used to when i had the unit . way better choice and price

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Last night I tried the Saturday steak special at Cafe Pitini on Soi Buakhao for 289 baht.  You could choose between sirloin and T-bone steak.  You also had a choice of potato (mashed, fried or fries),  vegetable (peas or mixed veggies) and sauce (mushroom or peppercorn).  The onion rings came with any option.  I asked the waitress to grind black pepper on my meal.

The menu made clear it was local beef.  It didn't give a weight, but I'm guessing it was around 200 grams (about 7 oz.).  It sure did come with a big portion of peas.  The potatoes, peas and sauce were fine, but the onion rings were soggy and greasy.  I didn't eat them.

I asked for the sirloin medium rare and part of it was while the rest was medium or well done without any pink at all.  That was a bit strange, as the steak was uniformly thick.  Maybe the temperature of the grill surface wasn't evenly hot?  I don't know. As can be expected from Thai beef, the meat had a fair amount of connective tissue and gristle but little fat.  It wasn't tender but it wasn't tough, either.

IMG_0133.jpg.5398af2b4167bd8b2c6e4e13244fc9de.jpgIMG_0133.jpg.fa2d674fa16b4f4e29228cf97eccbe78.jpgI

I know perfectly well Thai beef will never be as tender as imported beef and I adjusted my expectations accordingly.  What surprised me the most was the steak at Pitini didn't have much flavor.  One positive with Thai beef is it usually has a clear beef taste. 

Bottom line:  The meals I've had at Cafe Pitini have been very good on the whole.  The steak special was my only disappointment so far and it wasn't all that bad. I'll definitely be back to Pitini, but not for the steak special.  I paid 289 baht at Pitini for my sirloin dinner while imported Australian rib eye cost me 459 baht.  I'd rather pay extra for quality beef.

Evil

Nice review , as always.   I am a big fan of Pitini and the 5 weeks I stayed nearby , I ate there often. 

I can safely say , they do many dishes better than others, which I imagine is true of any restaurant with a large and diverse menu.

The steak just doesn't look right to me ,  the grain of the meat looks wrong as well as the way it is cooked , as you mentioned , parts look very rare while other parts are above medium. I suspect this was cooked not on a char-broiler type grill but rather on a flat top grill or even pan then finished in an oven.

I generally don't even bother to eat beef in Thailand, I can go a month or two without ..... but I do remember  Uncle Charlies and their steak specials..... Mrs. Charlie ( he had already passed away ) would allow you to choose your steak.  These were pretty darn good for local beef.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

5 hours ago, Soi7 said:

Good looking steaks with a decent amount of marbling!

On 02/09/2018 at 18:48, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0124.jpg.0861cd81837f65f4b4850ca54d6cc93d.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg.0d7c6a026780dd27ffaf477a1c552086.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg.cde3fa01e7b10e7c78b266094a32f874.jpg

I asked for the sirloin medium rare and part of it was while the rest was medium or well done without any pink at all.  That was a bit strange, as the steak was uniformly thick.  Maybe the temperature of the grill surface wasn't evenly hot?  I don't know. As can be expected from Thai beef, the meat had a fair amount of connective tissue and gristle but little fat.  It wasn't tender but it wasn't tough, either.

Evil

Looks like The Grill wasn't hot enough or the steak was cooked from cold. 

Doesn't look good in any case but it's a sub 300 BAHT steak.

Cafe Pinini i have passed many times but never eaten there.

Their facebook pages look excellent if true to what they serve.

Your steak photos however, to be blunt, look reasonably unedible to me.  

1 hour ago, PBear66 said:

Cafe Pinini i have passed many times but never eaten there.

Their Facebook pages look excellent if true to what they serve.

Your steak photos however, to be blunt, look reasonably unedible to me.  

Cafe Pinini is ok the meals are reasonably priced for what you get.

The full English  breakfast Is more than decent up to 5.00PM

I was in Pininis Sunday just gone and had a  chicken red curry with rice.

The curry was well below average hardly any chicken far to much eggplant and very oily 3/10 and at 139 Baht Just for the curry not really that cheap at all.

The Sunday roast dinners /pizza are to be avoided absolute shite but reasonably priced 555

2 hours ago, Pheat said:

Cafe Pinini is ok......

I thought you were an expat of many years standing.  How come you don't know the spelling of this well-known restaurant's name?

Pitini.thumb.jpg.0bcb593f447f42800f956945d760da5f.jpg

2 hours ago, Pheat said:

Cafe Pinini is ok the meals are reasonably priced for what you get.

The full English  breakfast Is more than decent up to 5.00PM

I was in Pininis Sunday just gone and had a  chicken red curry with rice.

The curry was well below average hardly any chicken far to much eggplant and very oily 3/10 and at 139 Baht Just for the curry not really that cheap at all.

The Sunday roast dinners /pizza are to be avoided absolute shite but reasonably priced 555

As I wrote before..... they do some dishes better than others, but why would anyone order a Sunday roast dinner here ?  That is a sort of specialized meal best to be had in places that gear toward the UK crowd  .  I wouldn't order a cheeseburger  in Leng Kee nor would I order  Pad Thai in the Pig and Whistle.

7 minutes ago, baddog666 said:

As I wrote before..... they do some dishes better than others, but why would anyone order a Sunday roast dinner here ?  That is a sort of specialized meal best to be had in places that gear toward the UK crowd  .  I wouldn't order a cheeseburger  in Leng Kee nor would I order  Pad Thai in the Pig and Whistle.

Some people (me!) just aren't that bothered. As simple as that. I like the fact its indoors, clean, polite, quiet ....so i can read my kindle. The food is secondary - it will be fine for me and fairly priced. 

5 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Some people (me!) just aren't that bothered. As simple as that. I like the fact its indoors, clean, polite, quiet ....so i can read my kindle. The food is secondary - it will be fine for me and fairly priced. 

I really don't understand your response/post.   I like Pitini  .... but as I wrote... choose a menu item that is conducive to the restaurant.  

One thing I have found that is consistent in Pattaya and LOS is inconsistency.  One cook who excels at Thai food , has the day off. His replacement is better at western food.

I would choose a coffee shop over a restaurant to relax and read , especially one where it seems you don't think much of the food.

Pitinis Chicken roast dinner is usually good, maybe phart got it on a bad day or the chef has changed. I haven't been for 8 months

I will follow this thread and try some of these places again. However, paying double for beef over pork for something that tastes like rubber is not very appealing! I have not tried the really high ended places but the medium to low end beef is just disgusting!

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

I like the fact its indoors, clean, polite, quiet ....so i can read my kindle. The food is secondary

52 minutes ago, baddog666 said:

I would choose a coffee shop over a restaurant to relax and read , especially one where it seems you don't think much of the food.

For an indoors, clean, polite, clean, aircon place to relax and read your Kindle, I'd certainly prefer (fairly close to Pitini) Malamute coffee shop, and in particular their avocado and salmon sandwich or salad for about B160.  IMO very good.  But no steaks (the subject of this thread) there of course, so sorry for off-topic.

2 hours ago, baddog666 said:

I really don't understand your response/post.   I like Pitini  .... but as I wrote... choose a menu item that is conducive to the restaurant.  

I get why you take that approach. But i like their building and setup and i don't care about their food so much! There's a degree of autopilot mode and it being a completely irrelevant decision. Foodie folk will baulk, i'm sure.

20 hours ago, SirL said:

I thought you were an expat of many years standing.  How come you don't know the spelling of this well-known restaurant's name?

Pitini.thumb.jpg.0bcb593f447f42800f956945d760da5f.jpg

Because I don’t give a sh@t. sirl

Did not realise the spelling Nazi were still alive and kicking on this forum .

i beg you’re apologise please sir

20 hours ago, baddog666 said:

Pitini covers all bases so which menu item is not conducive to the menu?

Many punters go in for the Sunday roast as it is one of the cheapest in Pattaya.

Many punters go in for the Full English as it is one of the best at the price point and you can upturn the drink for 10 Baht.

Archived