IGNORED

Who’s Going To Win The World Soccer Cup

WalterA

I'm a bit late to the thread, but my pre-tournament pick was for BRAZIL to win it and for CROATIA to be the roughie/outsider.

Not too much has changed my mind about those predictions, although I do like the look of Belgium, they seem to be much more mature and  playing as a team than in past tournaments.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

You do understand football do you?

Belgium are a strong squad expected by most pundits to go far in this tournament.

However, last night was not a competitive game, both sides changed a total of 17 players

from the previous game (a WC record BTW) and it was obvious neither side wanted to risk

any real injury, it was played at a slow pace and they were to a large extent going through the motions.

England are now in the easier side of the knockout stage and is quite content to have lost so

that they came second in the group.

We shall see whether they can capitalise on that, but to suggest anything could be gleaned

from last night's friendly kick-about is risible.

Should we meet again in the Final it will be a whole different ball game.

"england are now in the easier side of the knockout stage"that  comment says it all to the depths the game has sunk,they seem to forget all their supporters  who paid a load of money to go out to support their national side,still i suppose the share of the gate money is a piss in the ocean compared to the tv sponsorship,sale of replica shirts etc etc,still beating 2 teams of amateurs  has restored our national pride, london is awash with the flag of st george.

Even though they've already been knocked out, Germany will probably still find a way to win it somehow.

5 hours ago, everard said:

"england are now in the easier side of the knockout stage"that  comment says it all to the depths the game has sunk,they seem to forget all their supporters  who paid a load of money to go out to support their national side,still i suppose the share of the gate money is a piss in the ocean compared to the tv sponsorship,sale of replica shirts etc etc,still beating 2 teams of amateurs  has restored our national pride, london is awash with the flag of st george.

Oh rubbish, all tournaments are about tactics and gaining advantage within the set-up determined

(in this case) by FIFA - look at the Japan game for example.

All England supporters are delighted at their progress so far, not just the winning of two games against moderate, but certainly not amateur, opposition and know enough about football to understand that this young England team has shown enough quality to have a chance to go further in the WC.

Its not the wins, but the way they were won.

I'm delighted to hear London is awash with St George's flags, as every other Capital with teams still present no doubt are festooned with their National colours too, (and there's nothing bloody wrong with that).

Not Berlin and Buenes Aires, obviously. 

PS: I'm not aware our National pride needed restoring.

6 hours ago, jimmy2sheds said:

I understand football completly. Everyone laughs at the English because they always come with a crap excuse. being on the easier side of the draw they have no excuse now for not making the semi's in which they will prob lose to spain or croatia as i dont see denmark or russia getting there. For English pundits to laugh and be smug about Germany going out at group stages is absurd. English are just jealous that they cant match their achievements in football, if it wasnt for the English press I would probably like to see them do well in tournament football, they put too much expectation on the team and whoever the star player is gets blamed for them not doing well. Beckham & Rooney comes to mind on past occassions.

That's the great advantage of the present England team, they are young and inexperienced and

few gave them a hope of progressing far - so no unrealistic expectations.

Before the WC few expected even a quarter-final progression, and maybe they will be right, but England are 

building for the future, you'll note they won both youth World Cups this year - there's a fantastic crop of youngsters maturing.

Not having big glamorous names - save perhaps Harry Kane with 5 goals so far - is actually an advantage

and the England team seem a much more cohesive 'team' in the real meaning of the word, than in the past.

English pundits can be excused for laughing about Germany's demise, as its a rare treat, but they are 

far from the only ones having a touch of schardenfreud (spelling?) at the Teutonic shambles.

You clearly don't understand football completely if you fail to understand that poking fun when you can 

at old foes falling over their feet is one of the abiding features of football.

I've yet to meet a Scotsman who fails to delight if England stumble. 

Just like my delight at Argentina's early bath.

Well tonight the World Cup burst into flame, a truly great and entertaining game.

France 4 Argentina 3.

I have to say France looked really special at times, fast and dangerous in attack and they

ripped the Argentina defence apart at times.

Argentina are no mugs of course and showed flashes of brilliance, but were overall the second-best team.

If France can build on this performance, they will take some stopping.

This is, maybe, the most open World Cup in years

Germany out, Argentina out.. Spain not convincing.. and you can see England and Belgium playing in a really nice level

I bet for Brasil vs England in the finals

btw, Real Madrid must sign Mbappé.. and had its chance last year for 180 million €, but kid choose to go to PSG because he could not stand fighting for position vs Benzema or Gareth Bale

Argentina's defense was in shambles all through the tournament and especially this game against France. Argentina looked unconvincing all through the tournament beginning from Messi's missed Penalty against Iceland. They drew with Iceland in a game they were expected to win easily against the new comers then were crushed by Croatia and barely managed to scrape through against Nigeria...they were actually lucky to be in the Round of 16 in the first place. Yes they did show a few flashes of brillance like Rojo's goal in the closing minutes against Nigeria that won them the game to get them into the round of 16 and DiMaria's goal today against France but apart from that they were just unconvincing. I definitely did not see them getting past any of the European super-powers and thats exactly what happened today..

Anyway lets see what my favorite team Portugal does now against Uruguay...Hoping for a France vs Portugal Quarter final with Portugal winning

Well thats Portugal out!

Cavani double was the beautiful goal ... could watch that all day long .  Tough luck on Portugal , they weren’t good enough . Godin of Uruguay and his defenders was marvellous throughout the match .. Full of praise goes to the ref , he kept the match going , ignoring little tackles and divings . Uruguay advance to the final will depend on Cavani who was off injured with his calf injury ... Could be out for the tournament. 

10 goals in 2 knock out matches, unheard of. This WC has really taken off, World Cup on Red bulls.

................................................................................................................

I'm betting on Belgium. But then again I'm an American what do I know about football.

Of course my dream matchup would be Russia vs. Mexico. With Mexico beating Russia. It would fulfill my political dreams.

7 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

Oh rubbish, all tournaments are about tactics and gaining advantage within the set-up determined

(in this case) by FIFA - look at the Japan game for example.

All England supporters are delighted at their progress so far, not just the winning of two games against moderate, but certainly not amateur, opposition and know enough about football to understand that this young England team has shown enough quality to have a chance to go further in the WC.

Its not the wins, but the way they were won.

I'm delighted to hear London is awash with St George's flags, as every other Capital with teams still present no doubt are festooned with their National colours too, (and there's nothing bloody wrong with that).

Not Berlin and Buenes Aires, obviously. 

PS: I'm not aware our National pride needed restoring.

cause theres nothing bloody wrong with flying the flag of st george [just as long as its state approved] in other circumstances though,one may find having his collar felt.

Whoever the finalists are, I hope they both lose! And then stand around wondering how to compensate the world for all the wasted time spent kicking a ball and carrying on like idiots!

7 minutes ago, Hansuman said:

Whoever the finalists are, I hope they both lose! And then stand around wondering how to compensate the world for all the wasted time spent kicking a ball and carrying on like idiots!

You know that will never happen , get back to reality.... be glad , your country is doing very well . 

Don’t cry 4-3 Argentina 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

17 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

That's the great advantage of the present England team, they are young and inexperienced and

few gave them a hope of progressing far - so no unrealistic expectations.

Before the WC few expected even a quarter-final progression, and maybe they will be right, but England are 

building for the future, you'll note they won both youth World Cups this year - there's a fantastic crop of youngsters maturing.

Not having big glamorous names - save perhaps Harry Kane with 5 goals so far - is actually an advantage

and the England team seem a much more cohesive 'team' in the real meaning of the word, than in the past.

English pundits can be excused for laughing about Germany's demise, as its a rare treat, but they are 

far from the only ones having a touch of schardenfreud (spelling?) at the Teutonic shambles.

You clearly don't understand football completely if you fail to understand that poking fun when you can 

at old foes falling over their feet is one of the abiding features of football.

I've yet to meet a Scotsman who fails to delight if England stumble. 

Just like my delight at Argentina's early bath.

See you are already making an excuse for not making the semi's by saying about having a young squad, but not long ago you were on about being in the easier side of the draw. You have no excuse for not making the semi's. France have one if the youngest squads in the tournament and they just beat argentina albeit they have been quite poor this WC. There will be a huge party at george square in glasgow when england crash out of the WC. I hope you can make it.

15 hours ago, william77 said:

America will win! 

Trump will just buy the cup!

4 hours ago, Hansuman said:

So, what productive activity should we engage in instead ?

Japan look good 

they will beat the Belgium’s 

Well, well well. Russia take out Spain in a long hard fought game, that stretched to a penalty shoot out....

Russian goalkeeper will be held on shoulders tonight.... well done !

Archived